Start by marking “Seduction of the Minotaur” as Want to Read:
Seduction of the Minotaur

Seduction of the Minotaur (Cities of the Interior #5)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  409 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
“Some voyages have their inception in the blueprint of a dream, some in the urgency of contradicting a dream. Lillian’s recurrent dream of a ship that could not reach the water, that sailed laboriously, pushed by her with great effort, through city streets, had determined her course toward the sea, as if she would give this ship, once and for all, its proper sea bed…. With ...more
Published January 1st 1961 by Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about Seduction of the Minotaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduction of the Minotaur

D.J.
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Many people have told me to read Anais Nin. I don't have to any more.
Meghan Fidler
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epicurean
Nin has a way of capturing people through their relationships, making them fluid, as we all are, in their travels with one another. This is a narrative quality I have always found brilliant, and it allows the characters in the work to become recognizable, almost as if they were written from one's own memories and encounters.

"An airline’s beauty queen arrived at the beach. She walked and carried herself as if she knew she were on display and should hold herself as still as possible, arranged for
miss G
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This was one of those books that I found myself identifying with the writer and largely relating to the book as a craft rather than getting pulled into the imagery and losing myself in the story. While miss Nin definitely has the gift of language and the ability to move you with her words and immerse you in the world she creates, this is much more evident in her diaries for me than in this story. This book felt forced. It seemed that she was trying so hard to make the psychological points that t ...more
rachel
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I haven't finished it yet , in fact I'd say I'm struggling.

I want to like it, but there's just something manufactured about it that leaves me a little cold despite the luxurious surroundings of Golconda. I don't much like the protagonist Lillian and yet I feel a little guilty since I loved the vignettes contained within 'Little Birds'. I'll keep trying , but other things beckon....
paliperidone
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Loving the way she aligns the words, but certainly sure that she tries too hard in crafting the psychological points of this book.
Chris Craddock
I wasn't thrilled with her prose style but it was unique and very different from the norm. Magical surrealism?
Sarah Van de kamp
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, soft, internal. I love this book because it takes me into "the interior" and what a beautiful, soul-soaking place it is.
Hannah
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gender, mental-health
Sometimes I'm so typical of myself I could die. From the afterword on this book: "Nin's work has recently gained a careful, a concernful audience among the young. She has virtually become the Princess of the young, much as Cocteau at another time and for different reasons was the Prince of the young, and indeed in many ways still is. That audience comprising those who read Hesse, consult the I Ching, search for meaning and truth (to use the old-fashioned words), those who are listening to Indian ...more
Stacey
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
At first I felt like I was reading beautiful poetry, sensing Lillian's world all around me. But after awhile I felt like I was trying to watch a movie while underwater, the sound was muffled and the vision blurry. Everything was written in metaphors! Not one sentence was without any fluff, given straight up.

I got through half the book when I realized that I couldn't care less about what happens to Lillian so I gave up, despite the book being only about 100 pages long. It took her 50 pages to wri
Amy
Dec 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I hadn't read any other Anais Nin, and had only briefly heard of her as "bohemian" so when I found this in someone's bathroom I was intrigued. I don't know. In the afterward of my copy, Wayne McEvilly (real name) says, "to read the novel Seduction of the Minotaur without somehow encountering one's own shadowy self at the center of one's own labyrinth is not to have read the book." By that standard, I guess I did not read it. I don't think it's necessarily my fault, though. Mr. McEvilly also says ...more
Juju
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lyrical medication on traveling to a new place to lose yourself. Here Anais Nin is evoking an exotic interior landscape where her protagonist searches for the forgetfulness of adventure. The Minotaur of the title likely relates to the unconscious keeper of our personal labyrinths, where we often recreate the same behavioral maze with new people wherever we go. The last section of the book recalls the milieu of Henry & June and Anais's relationship with both Henry Miller and his wife, June. ...more
James F
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The fifth and final book of Cities of the Interior, this novel returns to the character of Lilian, on a concert engagement in Mexico. None of the other characters from the series appear except in Lilian's memories. The book has more description of scenery than I would like, which made it hard to get into at the beginning, but otherwise it is as well written as the earlier books. There is really no conclusion to the series, although Lilian does make some discoveries about herself.
Cintamani
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My memory fails far too often to be of my age. It was only a few years ago when I loaned this out from the library, and I do believe I actually read it. I always have these vivid flashbacks of Nin's Mexico with all these eccentric characters and this crazy jazz bar. Therefore I am going to give it a rating solely for its remarkable staying power and visual imprint.

Anais, you make me want to want Mexico. And you make me want to want everything else.
Rowena
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seduction of a Minotaur has some beautiful insights set sporadically throughout the text, though I found the book as a whole quite labourious. I am much more a fan of Nin's diary writing and short erotic stories than this.

I had to push myself to complete this book, though in it's defence it may have been a much better read in context to the other books in the series...
Nathan
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Anais Nin book, and it couldn't have been lent to me at a better time. Her ability to convey sense: touch, smell, color and warmth, is uncanny. Reading this I could feel Golconda, the smell of it, the heat of the sun, the sweat of the dancers. My first fiction book in years and definitely due!
FrumpBurger
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
A little heavy-handed at times, in the way Nin often is, but a whole lot better than A Spy in the House of Love and certainly not as good as Ladders to Fire. The final installment of her 5-book "continuous novel." Perhaps I should have read them in order, but oh well. C'est la vie.
Plamen Miltenoff
Apr 13, 2015 marked it as to-read
Anaïs Nin SEDUCTION OF THE MINOTAUR
“Perhaps,” said the Doctor pensively. “It may also be that you Americans are work-cultists, and work is the structure that holds you up, not the joy of pure living.”
Joel
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found the power of this book enticing, from the prolific Anais Nin. I am no scholar when it comes to literary analysis. I look for character analysis, dense background and beautiful prose I can trust (rather than feel as though I am editing). This book had these three.
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Oh Anais Nin. These are not things to get worked up over. I cannot relate to you at all. Yet, I implore you to continue. I find the me who finds your overworked sensitivities amusing funny. A delightful meta reading escapade.
Erik
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book languaged me to death. She's got the command. I truly appreciate it for its delusional femininity. If you can't give your woman what she wants, she's gonna find it somewhere else, literally or metaphorically.
Brian
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
From this book I learned that strange, deep things occur in Mexico. Anais Nin is freaking awesome - in this book at least. I haven't had the pleasure of reading any others yet.
Shelley
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5
Sarah Coe
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the flossy flossy
Shelves: sexysexy
I love every word this woman pens... that I've read, so far. a few more to go. ;)
Beverly J.
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I may try to come back to this at some point. It had some great lines but all in all pretty mundane.
Jesse Broussard
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm sure it was better than I give it credit for, but it was such an unusual style of prose that it seemed to detract from the story. And I saw the "twist" coming.
Hedry
Sep 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful-books
A wonderful book for people who love to hear themselves talk. Disjointed and emotionally immature.
Edyta Niewińska
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Lot's of inspiration for me as a writer, interesting story, well written. Definately one to add to my top list.
Adam
Aug 28, 2015 added it
Such tasty prose. So very, very tasty
Elia
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Too segmented for my taste
Phil  Roché
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just re-read this for the first time in many years. A transcendent exploration of the inner self.
  • Blue Eyes, Black Hair
  • Anaïs Nin: A Biography
  • The She-Devils
  • Blue Movie
  • La Bâtarde
  • The Sea of Light
  • My Blue Notebooks: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
  • Picturing Will
  • House Rules
  • New York Stories
  • Erotica Universalis: From Pompeii to Picasso
  • Kiki's Memoirs
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
More about Anaïs Nin...

Cities of the Interior (5 books)
  • Ladders to Fire
  • Children of the Albatross (Cities of the Interior #2)
  • The Four-Chambered Heart: V3 in Nin's Continuous Novel
  • A Spy in the House of Love (Cities of the Interior #4)

“We may seem to forget a person, a place, a state of being, a past life, but meanwhile what we are doing is selecting new actors, seeking the closest reproduction to the friend, the lover, the husband we are trying to forget, in order to re-enact the drama with understudies. And one day we open our eyes and there we are, repeating the same story. How could it be otherwise? The design comes from within us. It is internal. It is what the old mystics described as karma, repeated until the spiritual or emotional experience was understood, liquidated, achieved.” 7 likes
“Whereas by desiring someone who would not desire her, she could allow this fire to burn and feel: how alive I am! I am capable of desire.” 6 likes