Start by marking “Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982” as Want to Read:
Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982

In a small, tidy apartment on the outskirts of the frenzied metropolis of Seoul, Kim Jiyounga millennial everywomanspends her days caring for her infant daughter. Her husband, however, worries over a strange symptom that has recently appeared: Jiyoung has begun to impersonate the voices of other womendead and alive, both known and unknown to her. Truly, flawlessly, ...more
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Liveright (first published October 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982, please sign up.
Marie-Christine Wattiez Ah effectivement jai eu la même idée , on passe des pages 80 à 100 ....…moreAh effectivement j’ai eu la même idée , on passe des pages 80 à 100 ....(less)

Start your review of Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982
Meike
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: korea, 2019-read
This novella hit a nerve in South Korea and became one of the biggest-selling books of the new century. In it, Cho Nam-Joo tells the story of a Korean everywoman from her birth in 1982 until 2016, the year the book was published in its original Korean. Kim Ji-young experiences systemic misogyny in all stages of life, be it as a kid in her own family, in school and at university, in the workplace and also as a wife and mother. The protagonist does not only suffer because of stereotypical ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
Kim Jiyoung is a girl born to a mother whose in-laws wanted a boy.

Kim Jiyoung is a sister made to share a room while her brother gets one of his own.

Kim Jiyoung is a female preyed upon by male teachers at school. Kim Jiyoung is a daughter whose father blames her when she is harassed late at night.

Kim Jiyoung is a good student who doesnt get put forward for internships. Kim Jiyoung is a model employee but gets overlooked for promotion. Kim Jiyoung is a wife who gives up her career and
Pearl Ju
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-novels
If you are a woman living in Korea, I recommend reading this book in your room alone with tissues because I am positive at least once you will show tears with sympathy. Due to unconscious sexual discrimination, women bear their own wounds in their memories. Although in Korean history, women work for a living, they were treated as a person who only did housework and men weren't willing to help any housework. It well describes the ordinary women's lives under the male-dominated society.
Paul Fulcher
She said shell never forget how proud she felt when she presented a bouquet of flowers as a welcome-back present to one of her subordinates, who returned from a year-long childcare leave for the first time in the companys history.

Who is she? Jiyoung asked.

She left a few months after that.

82년생 김지영 by 조남주published in 2016, was, and indeed still is, a publishing sensation in Korea, selling over a million copies, the first novel to do so since 엄마를 부탁해 (tr. Please Take Care of Mom), and catalysing
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to Simon and Schuster UK and NetGalley for a review copy of this one.

Kim Ji-Young, Born 1982 is a 2016 Korean novel, now translated into English (besides other languages). This hard-hitting novel has sold over a million copies, and was also adapted into a film that released in October this year. The book traces the story of Kim Ji-Young, the title character, from the year she was born, 1982, to 2016 highlighting the sexism, discrimination and injustice she faces at every stage of her
Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 follows the Korean woman of the title from her birth until the present day. We're introduced to Jiyoung in the present day where, at 33, she's hospitalised after having a breakdown, and the author then recounts her life story which gives us the background and context as to how this has happened.

Cho Nam-Joo gives readers a heck of a lot of examples of incidents of institutionalised sexism and misogyny which have cumulatively impacted so greatly on Jiyoung and her psyche -
zaheerah
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through the eyes of her therapist, we follow the life of Kim Jiyoung as she experiences everyday sexism all from birth, youth and into her adulthood where she becomes a stay-at-home mother, and begins to unravel under pressure.

Kim Jiyoung first came to my attention last year when a member of K-pop group Red Velvet, Irene, had recommended this book during a fan signing. I still remember the aftermath where many of her male fans cursed her, insulted her and even burnt pictures of her. Back then, a
Gumble's Yard
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
The team leader said the report was good. It was good but it read like an article.

The blurb on the front of the inside front cover of the book says Riveting, original and uncompromising, this is the most important book to have emerged from South Korea since Han Kang's "The Vegetarian"

Having read this book - which can easily be read in a couple of hours - I think this is a very misleading comparison. "The Vegetarian" was literary fiction: powerful, unsettling and haunting: this is effectively a
Tom Mooney
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a biting feminist satire that basically caused a national incident upon publication in South Korea, where it has sold well in excess of 1 million copies.

While it is provocative and brave, it's not as shocking as you may imagine and is far subtler than many western attempts at tackling the issue of women's changing place in society. While there are some pretty vile male characters in the book, Cho Nam-Joo shows us that misogyny is a stain on both sexes; it's something that causes everyone
Rose
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hanguk
Finished my very first novel completely in Korean! Definitely didn't understand every single word in the book, but the writing style was simple and straightforward enough that I could get by using context. (I'm probably going to go back and go through some of the parts that I didn't understand).

Lots of different emotions while reading this:
surprise when I recognized some of 김지영's experiences as my own/my mom's
anger at the number of times 김지영 was marginalized by her own family
frustration/sadness
Sooyoun
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Main character of this book is one year younger than me. And I am born and raise in Korea, that means a lot of her experience is very similar with my own.
When I was young, I was young and naive like every other single human being so I didnt even realize how many things are unfair even cruel.

When I was growing up my grandmother used to tell me all the time whenever I made small mistakes How can you be this clumsy even you are woman???- and of course my younger brother never hear it.
Always I had
Christine
Kim Jiyoung is 33, a former marketing agency employee who currently stays home with her young daughter. Her life as a Seoul housewife is pretty routine, pretty ordinary, pretty ho-hum...until the morphing begins. One day, while talking to her husband, Jiyoung becomes their old college friend, speaking like her, sharing things that only that college friend would know. While in Busan with her in-laws, she transforms into her own mother, much to everyones anger, as they think shes being ...more
Vishy
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story told in 'Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982' by Cho Nam-Joo goes like this.

Kim Jiyoung is 33 years old, she has been married for 3 years, she is a housewife and has a one-year old daughter. One day she starts behaving strangely. Soon she starts assuming the personalities of other people, and it appears that she is not playacting, but she really thinks she is those people. Her husband is worried. The story then takes us into the past to the time Kim Jiyoung was born, we get to know about her
Rachmi
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I'm not familiar with story by South Korea author, before Kim Ji-young, Born 1982 I only read one book by South Korean, The Vegetarian by Han Kang. So I don't have high expectations for this book, despite I love The Vegetarian and so excited to read this one mainly because it caused huge commotion in its country. I'm curious.

Indonesia is also a patriarchy country, just like South Korea and maybe most of the countries in the world. But I thought here isn't that bad. I couldn't be more wrong.

I
Theighan
Mar 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay SO. I understand that this is a really important book and Im so glad its out there and sparking discussions that need to happen.

However, with that being said, I didnt like the style that this book was written in at all. I can appreciate it slightly and thought it was pretty cool/unique when I first seen it. BUT, there was actual references in this book and I felt like I was reading a paper for uni. Not what Im wanting tbh.

I also didnt feel anything for Kim Jiyoung when I was reading this
Charlotte Burt
I'm not quite sure what to make of this book. If the everyday misogyny that is portrayed in this book is true, then South Korea is like 1950's Europe but 70 years later. The writing style is very stilted, and it feels less like a novel than a piece of academic writing. This was not a book I enjoyed, so much as got through, thank goodness it is short.
Théo M.
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I didnt love the ending but it did help reiterate the point of the novel a bit more.

I think this book is extremely important and relevant, regardless of whether you live in South Korea or not a lot of the same things happen every day to women. Not always at the same level, but to varying degrees.

I really enjoyed this, and the choice to write this in the style of nonfiction was an effective decision on the writers part to make Kim Jiyoung relatable to everyone who reads this book.
Reem
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Annoying to hear/read but amazing and true at the same time. So I'm recommending it for sure.

And leaving that very nice review of it and its movie written by my friend she reviewed it better than I could ❤

Sandra Bianca
Rate: 4.5*
Full review: https://biancatwinbee.blogspot.com/20...

One of best(s) book this year.....
Michelle
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim Jiyoung, born 1982 is not the usual book that I read but, I was surprised of its content.
The story tells of her birth to present day of a 33-year-old woman living in a Korea. How society belittle the female gender and treated men as the better, class even if the women the more intelligent one. From how the girls ate and clothed to how they treated when they went entered the workforce.
I found this quite fascinating as I didnt know much of the Korean way of life. Their life reminds me of a
Chris Choy
The book itself is just a list of injustices that females face in the Korean society throughout the life of a fictional character. As the book is simply a list of events with little to no connections between them, I'm giving three stars and it is quite shallow. Rather, this book has a value as a whistleblower and I think all Korean male should probably read this to get to familiarize themselves with what injustices females face in their lives.

I really like this types of books that challenge the
Jeff
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fiction, but anyone familiar with Korean society should recognize it as the actual lived experience of most Korean women. If you're already familiar with Korea (which should be most readers, since it's written in Korean), you'll find yourself saying "Yep..." a lot. The writing is pretty straightforward, however, and so I recommend it for intermediate to advanced level non-native speakers who want to understand Korean society better.
Melody
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect read for international women's day, and a perfect book. The narration is special, curious: like a narrator who wants to give his opinion, but feels it best to be observant (hint: he does not accomplish this at all). It made me laugh, made me furious, made me sad - in all the right and wrong places. Highly recommend this fascinating read!
Alisha Billmen
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RTC

This was incredible!
Charlotte
"Kim Jiyoung is thirty-three years old, thirty-four Korean age. She got married three years ago and had a daughter last year. She rents a small apartment on the outskirts of Seoul with her husband Jung Daehyan, thirty-six, and daughter Jung Jiwon." Kim Jiyoung is every Korean woman; she represents the experiences of generations- overlooked, undervalued and downtrodden. In a society where: female babies are a disappointment; brothers are fed first; provided a superior education; given their own ...more
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This is part novel, part autobiography or rather it feels that way as you read it, yes its fiction but it feels like you are reading someones life story, a wonderful insight into Korea and womens lives in Korea, as a woman I found it difficult to read without getting angry, watching her worn down and losing her identity, but this happens everyday all over the world, its just more prevalent in some countries than others but it exists and happens everywhere. A fascinating and insightful read that ...more
Nashi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so important. I'm glad it's a bestseller here and I really hope we soon see it published in English and other languages.
Contextually relevant to the situation of women in S.Korea, in the end it transcends cultures and shows what every woman goes through regardless of her nationality. The writing style is simple but poignant. The story it tells is overwhelmingly sad. All the stars to 82년생 김지영.
Ron S
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, brutal look at everyday misogyny in South Korea. I'd like to think "it's not like that here" (Canada) but fear my gender might have rendered me every bit as oblivious as the men portrayed in this incendiary novel.
z4z4z4 z4
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hit me so hard. It is true people tend to judge someone just by see them for 1 sec. They don't even know what life someone have been through. This book talks about feminism and all women stigma in South Korea. When women should sacrified their life, their young age to work for their brother's good life. I never realized that the fact women should do something like that. Most of daughter in a family don't get equal affection as their brother. A son is like a precious child in a family. ...more

• Wake Up Sloth
  • Memory of Glass
  • 福も来た パンとスープとネコ日和
  • ปีแสง
  • YOU SADLY SMILE IN THE PROFILE PICTURE
  • Las hijas de la tierra
  • Masih Ingatkah Kau Jalan Pulang
  • Hiver à Sokcho
  • Mencari Simetri
Korean profile: 조남주

News & Interviews

“Claramente se arrepentía de lo que había hecho con su vida, de su condición de madre. Kim Ji-young imaginó una piedra pequeña pero pesada y dura que retenía la larga falda de su madre, y se sintió triste al identificarse con esa piedra. Su madre, percatándose de ello, acarició con ternura su cabello despeinado.” 2 likes
“La madre de Kim Ji-young fue sola a abortar. En modo alguno era su decisión, pero de cualquier modo era su responsabilidad. Y a su lado no había nadie para consolarla. Mientras aullaba como un animal que hubiera perdido a su cría ante una fiera, la ginecóloga le acarició las manos y le dijo: «Lo siento». Solo eso impidió que se volviera loca allí mismo.” 1 likes