Start by marking “Brooklyn Bitters” as Want to Read:
Brooklyn Bitters

Brooklyn Bitters

You don't get over killing your sister's husband. Accident or not. When twenty-four-year-old Kate Hathaway graduated with honors from Emory University, she couldn't wait to begin an exciting career in publishing. But one stupid mistake on a cold, rainy morning in Atlanta changed everything. Not only was Glen Lloyd Hastings her brother-in-law but he was also her best friend ...more
ebook
Published April 10th 2019 by BookBaby

To ask other readers questions about Brooklyn Bitters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brooklyn Bitters

Konny
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brooklyn Bitters by Sally Saylor De Smet is a fuul length, standalone, contemporary romance novel. The storyline is set in the eighties of the last century.
Katherine Hathaway is a successful single woman in her fourties. She loves her family. When she attends a conference in NY she meets her soul mate, Gunner.
Gunner Baldwin is a 38 year old man with a past. He's driven by revenge, but he loves his Kate.
What starts as romance turns into a breathstealing thriller.
Brooklyn Bitters is not a book wit
J.E. Rowney
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did, I couldn’t put it down. I really liked the protagonist, and found myself quite invested in her, which is always a good thing! The themes of guilt and relationships are things I love to read about and write about, and I felt like I was “people watching” whilst reading this book. I love the descriptive way that the author writes and the overall story was interesting and engaging. It’s nice to find a book by someone I hadn’t heard of, ...more
Kindra
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I kept with this one. It got better and better. Interesting characters and lots of twists. The end was unexpected and left me thinking. Beautifully written. Stayed with me.
Julie Rhinehart
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate feels guilty about the death of her brother in law and best friend and lives a solitary life until a chance encounter leads her to a mysterious stranger. Is it too good to be true? What starts out as a love story turns into an unexpected thriller. An intense read, great story!

The ‘80’s hair and clothing styles bring a sense of nostalgia, I could almost smell the White Rain ❤

Thank you NetGalley and Sally Saylor DeSmet for this edition and hearing my honest review. Looking forward to reading
Bonnie Synder
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book interested me as I actually related to the main character. Well written, and built up speed as it went. Loved the end.
Cristie Underwood
The author wrote a thriller that started with a bang and just kept going! The twists kept coming, so I couldn't put it down. I cannot wait to read more from this author!
Brittany Lamb
Note: I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher for the reading and reviewing opportunity.

DNF @ 43%

I tried to push through this just to see if it would improve it all but I eventually had to give up. The writing and editing for this book could stand some serious improvements. The writing did not flow well for me, and the pacing of the book was extremely odd. I could not stand any of the characters, as they were all extremely two-dimension
Raya Whitehouse
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Please note that this has some "spoilers" from the first bit of the book, but in no way is a huge amount that will ruin your experience to read the book for the first time.

Kate feels so guilty all the time because of how her sister's ( Stacy ) husband died. She goes to the cemetery often to talk to the grave. She had changed colleges to stay at home and be with her ailing mother. Her boss took her off of her fiction and put her onto cookbooks. Forces her to go to a conference and when she asked
Jill Burgin
Sometimes I pick my authors the same way I pick my horses - by name alone regardless of any possible chance of a winner or any knowledge of previous outings. This authors name alone is worth a couple of stars to me and although I was expecting more of a psychological thriller/mystery it wasn't a difficult read for me but there too many one dimensional characters I really wasn’t invested in. Once it got going, it got better for me.
Delia Ann
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this authors other book and picked this up because she’s a wonderful writer. I saw this as a poignant look at what happens to a woman when guilt takes over and the pitfalls of unfair expectations of women in society, even in the 1980s. Her growth from the second half on was inspiring.
Laurie Tell
I wanted to like this book, but I didn't. I started it at least 3 times, and then kept putting it down. I found it interesting in an intellectual way, but emotionally I had no investment in it and just wanted to get through it.
Stephanie Walker
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Won this book on a giveaway and glad I did. Wouldn’t put it down. Dark story with multi dimensional characters. Made me think about the hazards of guilt and family.
Edna
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into the book. From the beginning. Everyone was one dimensional and could not even connect with anyone. I did not finish.
Thank you, NetGalley for the advance copy to review.
Tinker Baldwin
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought this because I was impressed with her other book. She knows how to tell a story. Loved it.
Melinda B.
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this read. Nice to see a book with an older main character. Beautifully written. Thoughtful.
Carol
Susan
Deborah Gerhart
Christine Eckstein
Jun 18, 2019
My background includes editing, writing for dignitaries, and owner of an online antique doll shop which I still operate. I wrote PAGES IN THE WIND, while working full time. I felt driven to write this book to explore how trauma and abuse affects self esteem. Although a work of fiction, I hope that my reader finds a thought, a spoken word, an incident that touches a chord and opens an inner dialogu ...more