Jump to ratings and reviews

Homecoming

*** A 2020 Book Excellence Award Finalist ***

Lily Sommers reluctantly returns to Sterling Wood to attend her Uncle Jimmy's funeral - a town she left years ago.

Sterling Wood holds painful memories she’s tried to forget. One, in particular, is still raw and every time she returns pulls the scab off a wound that will not heal - Luc Pearson, the handsome high school sweetheart who betrayed her.

Seeing Luc again isn't the only problem she has to face in Sterling Wood. Someone is trying to kill her, and she doesn't know why.

She soon learns shocking revelations that could change the course of her life as a ruthless killer stalks her. Will the people closest to her be able to save her?

Things like that aren’t supposed to happen in Sterling Wood.

343 pages, Kindle Edition

Published May 30, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Charlene Johnson

21 books363 followers
Charlene is a Waynesburg, Pennsylvania native. She went to Waynesburg High School and graduated Cum Laude from Waynesburg College with a Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts. Currently lives on a farm outside of Colville, Washington.

Books have always been her passion. She started reading at an early age and progressed to full-length books by age nine. The first supernatural book series she read was Dark Shadows, and it sparked her interest in all things paranormal, with a spicy touch of romance mixed in for good measure. She also started writing poetry in grade school and continues to do so today.

Being an avid reader, the consummate daydreamer and an incurable romantic with a Cinderella complex, she started creating her own characters and story lines because she realized she had her own stories to tell.

She was married for 39 years. She has a son, Ty; a daughter, Danika; and four beautiful grandchildren, Aries, Victoria, Maya, and Tobias.

Besides reading and writing, she also enjoys photography, travel, music, and great movies.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
10 (66%)
4 stars
5 (33%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews
Profile Image for Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon.
2,087 reviews149 followers
July 8, 2019
5 Cranky Stars

I'm still recovering from this book a week later. My heartbeat picks up every time I recall different scenes from this story. Charlene Johnson has a way with words and I don't see them leaving my head any time soon.

Lily Sommers left her hometown with a broken heart that's never truly healed. She had a plan for her future that included Luc Pearson but betrayal stopped that. Now successful she returns to her hometown to bury her uncle and a run in with her ex proves that the sparks are still there.

While finalizing her uncle's estate she soon realizes that there's more going on in town than she realized and someone wants her dead.

I read this in one sitting and actually lost sleep. This author created characters that I fell in love with. I was so sucked into this story at time it felt like I was right there. This story is amazing and definitely worth the read.

Profile Image for Debra  (Dragon Nanny) Phiri.
1,057 reviews8 followers
June 1, 2019
I am a huge fan of Charlene Johnson and so I had super high expectations for her new series beginning with this book Homecoming! So it comes as no surprise that I wish i could give it more than five stars and that it hadn't ended as quickly as it did.

This story has heart, heat, intrigue and was a true delight for this readers heart to read! The characters make you love them, want to smack them, hug them and pay for all their therapy! It is truly magical that as you read you get lifted up and tossed around emotionally and really aren't sure who you can trust and who is untrustworthy. You also start out not having a lot of love for a character or two and they can surprise you. This is one of the best gifts that Charlene brings to her books. The gift of making you want to yell at her for putting her characters through so much, all for love and family!

In conclusion I will say, make sure you read Homecoming today! Its so worth your time!
Profile Image for Joy Lane.
814 reviews8 followers
June 29, 2021
Very "steamy" and a fun read for those who love mysteries and suspense. It will keep you engaged (not to mention looking forward to the next romantic scene.)
Profile Image for Mary Dean.
Author 13 books635 followers
July 14, 2019
Holy smokes this book is good! This author has the mystery and suspense element down. This is the story of Lily who returns to Sterling Woods, her hometown to bury her uncle Jimmy. This town holds good memories for her but also holds a lot of heartbreak. Especially when she sees her ex Luc. He was the boy she gave her heart to as a teenager and the one who broke it before she left. Her plan is to bury her uncle, go through her family houses and get back to her life in California. Well life never goes to plan. She finds out truths from Luc that she wish she had known. As they start to find their way back to each other they discover her life in danger. Someone is trying to kill her. And it may be whoever killed her uncle Jimmy and her older brother Robbie when they were children. This story had me guessing until the end. There were so many moments I gasped out loud at the shock of the truth. I loved every second. I couldn't put it down. All I kept thinking about was solving this mystery. And there were times I didn't know if my favorite characters would even survive. The fact that the title tells it's a series excites me. I can't wait to see what else this story and author have in store for us readers.
Profile Image for Lenna  Wright-Berry .
3,051 reviews31 followers
July 9, 2019
I got lots a mixed feelings from just reading this story. One the comes across that is tough to stomach is the fact that Lily’s mother and father were still married when her parents ‘married’ other people and lives as married couples do with their second spouse (cheated). Second is when does this story take place? There were times I felt like this was from the 50s and then to parts where it was modern. One big misunderstanding that cause these two high school sweethearts to be none. One ex friend causing heartache by going down on a passed out Luc when Lily finds out. Secrets that’s been hidden away, lies, murder of Lily’s family including a young kid just because a rich family heir of a man fell in love with a girl of the wrong color and class. There would be more I’d like to say but I think I won’t since I might make it more spoilers then I intend, so I’ll stop now and let you decide when you read this...
Profile Image for Sue.
596 reviews18 followers
July 3, 2019
Lily Sommers finds herself back in Sterling Wood to attend the funeral of her Uncle Jimmy. This is the last place on earth that she wants to be and would love to leave as soon as possible. It is hard enough trying to forget a past love that betrayed her, but now she finds herself the target of someone wanting to see her dead.

This is a story filled with lots of suspense, twist and turns, hidden secrets, angst, and danger. You will enjoy the storytelling and characters, but be hooked by the mystery and intrigue.

900 reviews10 followers
August 6, 2019
Great read

I was feeling who the killer was for a while. I’m a bit disappointed that we didn’t get a meeting between Lily and Percy. He saved her life whilst we all know that he’s not the nicest of people. By the way it’s hilarious that Stephanie is going out with a bartender given how snobby her parents are.
As for the story it was riveting although it must be set in the past. I can understand how they felt their only option was to hide and use William when they were young, however given his wealth I am surprised that he didn’t spend money to find out who killed his kid, protect his wife ( with bodyguards if necessary)and leave the place after his mother died.
Profile Image for Anie.
963 reviews44 followers
July 4, 2019
Lily ran away from her home town as soon as she could, only coming back when absolutely necessary. Now he Uncle died and she has to come back for the funeral and sort his house out. It's not the house she has to sort out, there is Luc, her old love, that she, not all that over

I love the storyline, it's all about having second chances, lies to be unraveled and secrets to reveal.

received from Silver Dagger Book Tours
8,193 reviews93 followers
July 16, 2019
This is the 5th book I've read written by Charlene Johnson; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Profile Image for Heather W.
3,951 reviews25 followers
July 11, 2019
This is my first story from this author and I loved it and look forward to reading more. Great characters that are well-developed, an amazing storyline, danger, twists, turns, drama, and romance all combine to make a real page-turner.

Kudos to Charlene Johnson for this exceptional read.

11.2k reviews46 followers
February 3, 2020
She did not want to go back home as it means facing her past. Her uncle has died and so she goes home where she will meet the ex who betrayed her. Worse is to come as someone is trying to kill her. Why do they want her dead? Who wants her dead? Will she find out? Will others be able to keep her safe? See how she gets on
698 reviews4 followers
July 12, 2019
Homecoming is a very good suspenseful and intriguing story. The characters seem to come alive in this great book.

381 reviews6 followers
June 24, 2019
This was my first book by this author and she hooked me! This book had some of everything...second chances, lies and hidden secrets, to suspense and danger. Such a great read!
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.