Start by marking “American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)” as Want to Read:
American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)

American Love Story

(Dreamers #3)

No one should have to choose between love and justice.

Haitian-born professor and activist Patrice Denis is not here for anything that will veer him off the path he’s worked so hard for. One particularly dangerous distraction: Easton Archer, the assistant district attorney who last summer gave Patrice some of the most intense nights of his life, and still makes him all but forget
Published October 7th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about American Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Love Story

K.J. Charles
Aug 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: american, m-m
Third in this strong series about the US immigrant experience. Patrice is Haitian-born and has overcome a traumatic childhood to become a professor at an Ivy League college in Ithaca. He's an activist and passionate about Black Lives Matters and racial justice. He's also both exhausted and exhausting: he makes huge demands of himself and others, as activists do, and the result is that he's denying himself a personal life and putting a lot of expectation on people.

Easton is a white moneyed DA wh
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to say, Herrera was NOT PLAYING with this book. It is intense. She brought the game up to the next level, and I cannot wait to discuss this one. While it is the third one in a series, it’s a companion series so you don’t have to read them in order. This is an NA, m/m romance. One of the love interests is Haitian, so we get some Latinx black representation and a interracial couple.

The first we need to talk about is the subject matter here. Honestly, the romance takes a back seat in comparison to wha
Caz
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Adriana Herrera’s  Dreamers , a series about a group of four Afro-Latinx friends who live and work in and around New York, seems to get better and better with each book.   American Love Story  is the third instalment and I loved it.  It’s complex and romantic while remaining grounded in reality; the two leads are principled men who come from completely different worlds and their HEA is hard work and hard won; the secondary characters are well-rounded and the relationsbook.  Herrera’s
.Lili.
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adriana Herrera has been my stand-out new to me author of the year. Her stories are relevant and real, and this third installment of her Dreamers series was no different. American Love Story is about fear, honesty, activism, trust. It's more than just a romance.

Highlights:

-Activism. American Love story touches on diversity, immigration, racial injustice, equality. All topics that are important today. The best part of all this is that Adriana Herrera touches on all these t
Leigh Kramer
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, lgbtqia
Adriana Herrera’s Dreamers series is a standout of the year for me. I knew this, the third book, was going to be good but it's truly excellent. This is how you write intersectional feminist romance. It made me so happy!

Patrice and Easton shared a hot summer fling but now that they live in the same place, their differences loom before them, seemingly preventing that fling from becoming anything more. Patrice is a Haitian-born economics professor and activist, while Easton is a white a
Xan West
I'm going to review this soon, but I want to say that I loved it a lot, & really appreciated the complexity & nuance in the story & this is my fave so far in a v strong series.
Karen
I’ve been a huge fan of this series, exploring the US immigrant experience, since reading book #1 – American Dreamer. I think Herrera is writing some of the most complex, realistic romance out there right now and American Love Story kicks it up yet another notch.

Patrice, a Haitian-born activist, moves to Ithaca, NY to become an Ivy League professor & possibly to see where things go if he just so happens to run into his former hookup, DA – Easton Archer. Which, because of mutual friends, he
Cee Brown
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc-reads
.•★*) .•*)
(.★*..•`★¤4.5 stars. This is what I look for in a story.¤★*..*ˑ★

As a Caribbean woman, I can truthfully say that this book was quite impressive and mind boggling.

Impressive as the author, Caribbean born herself understands the struggles and layered this book with sincerity. Patrice Denis was Haitian born. Though he had a somewhat life of privilege, he was knew the struggles of his people and those that confronted him when he found asylum in American. With his mother by his side, he learned the art of perfe.•`★¤4.5
Barb ~rede-2-read~
The third in what continues to be a top favorite series, the author brings us a completely different sort of romance from the others in the series. Set in Ithaca, New York, home of Cornell University, this time it’s Patrice’s turn in the spotlight, and he certainly shines. Oh my, does he shine! A quick word about the cover: it’s to die for! The stunning black man, his locs tied back, the smile on his face, the dimples… Oh my gosh, he’s gorgeous and should definitely attract attention to this boo ...more
Sophie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
“American Love Story” is the third volume in Adriana Herrera’s “Dreamers” series, and by far the strongest. “Dreamers” is about a group of friends who are all immigrants, and it’s very much about their experience in the US. Its strength lies in in conveying that experience, and in creating a cast of characters that feels like a group of friends you wish you had.

This book focuses on Patrice, a Haitian immigrant and new professor at Cornell University, and Easton, who is white, rich an
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)
*3,6 stars*
Sam (AMNReader)
Jun 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cover
I've loved all these covers, but this is my favorite. Because PURRRRPLE
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

I can’t get enough of Adriana Herrera’s writing! This third Dreamers book is a difficult, angst filled read - but it’s also a wonderfully warm and beautiful written romance. After years of hard graft, Patrice has finally been hired as a professor at Cornell University. The move brings him back to Easton, the gorgeous, talented assistant DA that Patrice refuses to let himself desire.

I’m not sure I can remember having
I received an advance copy from Carina Press via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content notes:
(view spoiler) ...more
Kingtchalla83
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
***I want to say a special thank you to Adriana Herrera for the opportunity to review her book and providing an ARC***

American Love Story is the third installment in the Dreamers series. Herrera continues to keep social issues and romance at the forefront of her writing. She doesn't shy away from hot-button topics and handles them with polished precision, especially those relating to the Afro-Latinx experience and immigrants.
📚
📚
Patrice and Easton are the heroes in Am
gimmethosebooks
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best romances I’ve ever read and also such an important book. The balance between those two elements is perfect.

This book along with this relationship examines everything that needs to be put under a microscope in modern society. Their struggles are real and difficult and their love keeps them going despite their many obstacles.

Anyone who claims this book is preaching or that Patrice doesn’t act like a professor or that Easton is unrealistic...I don’t know what you’ve read b
Felicia Grossman
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so the first thing I will say about this book is that if there were more than five stars to give, I would give them. Second, just buy it and read it. It’s amazing. Seriously amazing. I adored the first two books in the series but this one is my favorite, and honestly one of my favorite books of the year, hands down. So, so, so, good.
Patrice and Easton’s story was beautiful and well balanced and perfect. I felt every emotion, every bit of their arcs, how hard Easton tried and how much
shoesforall
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I can't take this tell don't show thing anymore. This author doesn't seem to trust the reader because everyone tells everyone else their entire emotional spectrum in every conversation. I am washing my hands of this series (sadly). Also, some people are complicated and some people have a lot to deal with but that doesn't make them any less assholes.
Rachel Reid
This book is perfect. This is the future of romance and I am extremely here for it. American Love Story perfectly balances sweet romance; difficult real-world issues about race and privilege, especially in America; characters who learn and grow and make each other better, and also very hot sex. Like, super hot.

Definitely one of the best romance novels of the year. I loved it. I can't wait for book 4!
Diane
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Patrice and Easton are one hot couple! Their attraction is irresistible, though they have all the reasons to stay apart (according to Patrice). Indeed, Patrice is a Black professor at an Ivy league and Black twitter activist in his personal life, while Easton is a an assistant DA from a White rich family.
Fear not though, they manage to work it out or, at least, they agree to work on that while building a relationship.

As usual, the secondary characters we've come to love are part of the story,
Escape_in_a_Book
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To simply say that I loved this book does not begin to do justice to the story Herrera created. In this contemporary romance, she not only delivered touching and relatable characters, she presents issues that are in demand of attention in our world today. The romance and the need for change are perfectly balanced in a way that one highlights the others. It was truly an impactful and moving reading experience.

I am so looking forward to the next book in the wonderfully written series.

Tori
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
This was excellent.

Patrice and Easton have a lot of obstacles to overcome, but they work together and respect each other and the chemistry is off the charts. The way class and race are explored is so careful and honest but hopeful. It's lovely.
Sandy
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredibly deep and lovely story about two men finding a way to bridge realistic differences. All too often, the issues keeping the protagonists apart are shallow or easily solved but the differences here were extremely complex. I loved the style of the writing and the way the author kept both characters true their basic personalities while giving them the ability to bend. Their relationship was both passionate and meaningful on an emotional level and resulted in a completely satisfy ...more
Amanda
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect modern day romance for all readers. The author manages to interweave true emotion with complex real life issues facing us all today. The characters are flawed and feel real. The plot tackles modern day issues without trying to superficially resolve them. There are no easy answers in the real world and there are no easy answers in the book. This novel is a triumph.
Sandy N
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
AMERICAN LOVE STORY, this is my first book in this series. I'm not generally a big fan of book in POV, I did struggle a bit to get into the story. I loved the premises of the book, mixte M/M couplé. I'm sure if you read the other 2 books in the series, you will love this one also.
I voluntarily reviewed this ARC and the opinions expressed here are all mine.
Sara
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! I adored the dynamic between Patrice and Easton, the activist and the lawyer. They both deal with some important issues, internal and external. I liked how they were clearly on the same side, but took some time to navigate what that meant and how they could make it all work together.

Thank you Carina Press and NetGalley for the ARC!
msartemysia
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received an ARC copy of this book on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

AMERICAN LOVE STORY hit me right in the feels. For multiple reasons:
. It is set in Upstate New York, which means my absolute favorite place on Earth (I cried every time Rochester was mentioned, ok?)
. One of the MCs is an early career academic. I so get Patrice’s struggle, SO MUCH.
. Competent people with their hearts in the right place, who make mistakes and make amends are HOT.

Patrice and Easton are two awfully compe
Adriana
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TWs: systemic racism, racially targeted traffic stops, & peripheral homophobia

My heart is legit SOARING 💕

American Love Story is aptly titled, because it's a story that shines light on what it means to love in America today. Folx have to ask themselves: Does my partner believe in what I believe in? Do we respect and understand each other's lived experiences? Do we acknowledge that good, healthy love takes work in this day and age?

Patrice and Easton come from very different/>American
Ruthie Taylor
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the third book in the series and I would definitely recommend that you read them in order, as knowing each friend's story builds into the whole. We knew that Patrice and Easton has met last year ... now to see what can happen next!

I would say that all these books have brought to attention issues about colour and race that many readers will have never considered. This story does it in a far stronger way than the previous two,
Cathy Geha
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
American Love Story by Adriana Herrera
Dreamers #3

Patrice Dennis and Easton Archer have a complicated relationship. Patrice, though highly educated seems to have a chip on his shoulder...though that chip and sometimes fear that leads to political activism and social media output is verifiable, real and threatening. Easton is a man who wants justice for those who deserve it and puts himself out there in the courtroom. He may appear easy going but is deeper than you might think. T
« previous 1 3 next »
Adriana Herrera was born and raised in the Caribbean, but for the last 15 years has let her job (and her spouse) take her all over the world. She loves writing stories about people who look and sound like her people, getting unapologetic happy endings.

Her debut novel, American Dreamer, has been featured on Entertainment Weekly, NPR, the TODAY Show on NBC and was selected as one ALA Boo

Dreamers (4 books)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • American Sweethearts (Dreamers, #4)