Jump to ratings and reviews

Alma Underwood Is Not A Kleptomaniac

“You are my greatest find.”

Quirky, big-hearted Alma Underwood has a knack for pocketing the various objects people leave behind at her parents’ small-town motel. From old ticket stubs… to the glue that comes with a toupee, Alma possesses a passion for recusing forgotten treasures—even if nobody else sees it that way.

Her greatest treasure is found, not under a motel bed or stashed inside a drawer, but inside an old, abandoned train car that rests behind her house. After hoisting herself into the train car she’s dubbed Mo, Alma stumbles upon Rumor.

With nothing but a duffle bag and a quilt to keep him warm, it’s crystal clear Rumor Rawlings isn’t just hanging out in the train car for a place to escape.

He’s living in it.

Rumor’s wit and relentless perseverance charm the part of Alma programmed to rescue. Just as she does with all the other treasures she finds… Alma brings him home.

On a quest to find his mother, Rumor is searching for a treasure of his own, and who better to help him find it than her?

Heartfelt and moving, Alma Underwood Is Not A Kleptomaniac explores the emotional layers of teen homelessness, the trouble with foster care, and living with a physical disability.

First published September 30, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lacey Dailey

10 books68 followers
The best place to find Lacey is with her nose in a book. She’s a sucker for a good love story and a happy ending that has her swooning. When she’s not obsessing over giving her own characters a happy ending, you can find her in the dance studio empowering young dancers and giving out tons of stickers. Thanks to her mother’s pizzeria, Lacey can make a delicious pizza.
When she’s not putting on her dance shoes or inhaling a slice of pizza, she’s in front of her computer binge watching romantic comedies and penning stories with love so powerful, it’ll last a lifetime. As a recent graduate of Central Michigan University, Lacey intends to keep inspiring people through dance and lots and lots of words. She currently lives in Central Michigan surrounded by her family and unpredictable weather.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
9 (5%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 80 reviews
Profile Image for The Sassy Bookworm.
3,265 reviews2,272 followers
September 25, 2019
description
description  DEAD...that is it. Just...DEAD. I have mad love for this author. She writes sweet YA books like no one I have read before. This book was AMAZING. Every single character in this book was fantastic. The writing was out of this world. The plot was excellent. Humorous. Sweet. Romantic. Heartbreaking. Honestly, I don't really have much more to say about it other than you'd be a fool to pass it up.

description

description BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | BOOKBUB

Profile Image for TMR.
512 reviews667 followers
October 12, 2019
Note: An ARC was given generously in exchange for an honest review.

PS: The dates are a bit weird because I was sorting through my library books at the time as well. That's how I got to the cruel prince after all, haha.

...................................................

Alma Underwood IS INDEED A KLEPTOMANIAC. She needs to stop lying to herself.

The story is interesting. A girl finding a guy in one of her most favorite items found, a train set. And so she plans on keeping him, since no one has found him yet and he seems to be looking for something too. So why not let the treasure find its way?

First of all, I never seen a kleptomaniac ever written in as a potential person who can love. People with far worse diseases have been seen as finding love, but never a kleptomaniac in all of the romance novels ever published.

Why not, a blasted kleptomaniac?

Why is it always a dying person? Hmm? WHYYY?

..............................

Thank god for this author who wrote someone who wasn't dying the next day, but rather just had this habit of collecting things that didn't belong to them.

Thank THE HOLY GOD!

Okay let's continue with the review.

.......................................

Cover: Quirky as hell. Reminds me of a kindergarten child's drawing. Quirky, fun, light hearted romantic feel to it. It was so nice to be able to read something so light hearted and something that no one has yet read, not yet been popular.

So a total breather for me. Thank hell.

Regardless, the cover drew me in and I couldn't keep away. So points to that.

The plotline: Like I said, I never heard of a kleptomaniac ever finding love, so this was a strange concept for me to read and even imagine the author writing it. So I was more curious than intrigued when I first jumped in to read. But I'm glad my curiosity didn't disappoint me. So points to that too.

The romance: Well it was more of a slow burn than what a light-hearted romance usually is good at, being fast that is. But nevertheless, I couldn't wait for them to confess their feelings, declare love and be happy at last, while overcoming every single obstacle that came their way. So definitely it was a good romance. Points given.

The characters: Oh they were all truly the "brady bunch" like family. Josh had been right. But oh how loveable they all were. All clamoring to solve Rumor's problems and guiding Alma as well to turn into a true saint and be a compassionate girl. All were quirky, hilarious, deep, and meaningful.
Sigh what a family. I was even a bit jealous of Alma for having them.

I mean I love my family, but loving a family like Alma's? Pure gold of course and so much of a dream, a dream that was worth it. So definitely, I couldn't help but wish they had their own backstories as well, ya know, just to have a bit more of them to remember. Points also given to that.

The overcoming of obstacles and growing better than who they were before: Well a lot of obstacles came their way, such as Rumor's mother, his own problems with education, his father, his home, and how long he'd been running, his friends. But they all managed to overcome those problems, solved them together like a true team, and never let go of one another. Truly they all changed from just living their lives, to being more compassionate, sympathetic, emphatic, and relatable as hell. Truly strong characters are portrayed and an even stronger plotline. ALL THE POINTS GIVEN THEN.

So if you really want a brady bunch like family, a broken guy, a sunshiny girl, and supportive friends, and love, then this is the book for you.

I'm so thankful to have read this. Truly, I aspire to be like Alma.

Sigh.. now excuse me while I go and pore over a new book and remember Alma and Rumor.

Until the next read,

-J.B
September 5, 2020

My Recommendation
This was one of the best Y.A. books I have ever read! The storyline of a homeless teenage boy, searching for his long-lost mother while grieving for his recently deceased father, and the people he encounters that help him on his quest, was beautifully heart-wrenching.
I would recommend this for more mature Y.A. readers because of some the subject matter, and because of the strong language used. Overall, this is one that I will be reviewing favorably on Goodreads, and will be buying in a print copy for re-reading.
*This was a “ Read Now” selection I received from Netgalley. All opinions are strictly my own; I gave an honest review in exchange for this book.*
Profile Image for Nikki J Summers.
Author 13 books1,031 followers
October 30, 2019
Omg, Lacey Dailey totally had me hooked with this book. Tiny violins, butterfly kisses and all. The characters were ‘Ace’. I loved the Underwoods & their family meetings/ hogwarts themes. I couldn’t put it down. So sweet & beautifully written, I’d recommended this to anyone. Great job & a well deserved 5 stars!
Profile Image for Maria.
1,638 reviews29 followers
September 30, 2020
FREE today (September 30, 2020) on Amazon.

Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
A sweet tale of young love, with two refreshing main characters and a group of original and cute side characters “Alma Underwood is Not a Kleptomaniac”, by Lacey Dailey (Netgalley Connect), is also a story about loss, adversity and despair, hope and human kindness towards strangers.
Rumor is a young wounded hero, very much adapted to his disability. I liked that the drama in the story had nothing to do with his condition, which was really a non-issue.
Alma is a generous, quirky soul, with her big-hearted family and always there friends. There’s a world of hospitality and easy-going spirit in this book.
Their relationship and romance are so sweet, with Alma’s kind-hearted bossiness and Rumor’s willingness to follow her.
There are magic, funny, emotional and sweet moments in the story. The plot might seem a bit crazy sometimes but sounds credible for this young age group. Some tough issues are handled; I liked that there was a resolution for Rumor, even if was a bit simplistic.
The dialogue sometimes felt a little forced and the story dragged in places or could have been shorter.
May 23, 2020
This is such a refreshing read, YA characters that feel real, are fully relatable And it’s full of representation. The story itself is a delight to read, it will have you rolling on the floor, but in tears at times, it’s definitely an emotional rollercoaster but in the best way, you feel like you’ve been on a journey with this book. This story has a little romance, but the main and important focus is on friendship and the important relationships you have in life. In no way a light read, but it’s a worthy read and will leave you thinking after you finish it. My first book by Lacey but I eagerly look forward to future books.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Profile Image for ♛Vanessa♛ Fangirl Faction.
802 reviews582 followers
November 16, 2019
4.5/5 Stars

Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

There are hardly words to describe the array of emotions this book has evoked inside me. This is such a heartwarming story that will leave you hearing tiny violins.

I think that what I love most about this book is the way that it effortlessly combines emotions. You will be feeling so much when you read this at all of the appropriate times. The blending of emotions is fantastic.

I also loved the depth of the characters. Alma is a remarkable character. She is a kind-hearted and quirky girl with a heart that just keeps on giving. She was a breath of fresh air. Rumor was a character that was easy to empathize with. I hadn't experienced what he had but I could feel every bit of it right along with him. I love when an author writes a character that I can step into the shoes of and live their life. The secondary characters were a delight. You can tell that these characters come from a special place in the author's heart. I absolutely adored Alma's quirky family. They are the type of family that I love reading about in books.

There was one tiny tidbit in the book that felt way too coincidental to me to feel genuinely real. Also, even though the main characters are seventeen years old, they read like they were much younger. At least it felt that way to me. I think that it may just be that this was a sweet romance so things were toned down a bit. It just didn't feel as realistic to me in some parts of the story.

Overall, this is a book that I was greatly impressed with and I am so grateful to have taken a chance on. It is moving in all the best ways and the story will seep into your soul and refuse to let you be. This is a book that will stay on your mind long after you've finished it. I can't wait for another book from this author.

More reviews on my blog: Novel Nerd Faction
Profile Image for Andrea.
Author 7 books103 followers
September 26, 2019
Tiny violins. All over. I am madly in love with Lacey Dailey’s writing. The time, the effort, and the LOVE she puts into each character just slays me. I’m in awe. Every book she writes makes me feel ooey gooey inside. ALL THE TINY VIOLINS. ALL THE BUTTERFLY KISSES. And this book, oh my goodness, I never wanted it to end. I wasn’t ready to leave Flat Rock. I’m still not ready. Alma Underwood is one of my favorite heroines. Her heart is the size of Michigan. She is so beautiful and odd in the best way. And speaking of odd, that family of hers is the freaking best. So quirky, kind, and full of love. The Hogwarts House scene …I died. So. Funny. I need a book for each and every one of the siblings. They had me crying with laughter and then legit sob fest in that epilogue. Jackson. Gah! I need a Jackson in every book I read. And then, there’s Rumor Rawlings. Oh, Rumor. My heart ached for him the entire book. Tiny violins ya’ll. How that boy was still standing with his heart wide open after everything life threw at him, floored me. I’m pretty sure I cried the last thirty percent of the book, maybe more. The relationships between all of these characters was so beautiful to read. Not only Alma and Rumor but Josh and Rumor. That bond between those two boys just melted my heart every freaking where. I finished this book yesterday and I have the biggest book hangover. I honestly want to read Alma again, right now. One of the best books I’ve read this year. Please don’t pass this one up!
Profile Image for Sandra.
104 reviews14 followers
May 4, 2020
3.7/5
I was looking for a light and fun read and that's what exactly I got.
I don't know if Alma can be called a kleptomaniac. She doesn't steal from people. She takes the things that are left behind or broken and keep them as lost treasures. And maybe that nature of her made Alma to take a homeless teen - Rumor- she found in a train car - giving him a home just like she did for all her lost treasures. And in turn Rumor is looking for a treasure of his own.
I really liked the story and the characters. It was sweet. The relationships between the characters, Alma's family and friends, Rumor's friend Josh etc. were really sweet and wonderful. The dialogues felt a bit cheesy and forced at times. But overall it was a nice read.
Profile Image for Moony (Captain Mischief) MeowPoff.
1,413 reviews120 followers
February 16, 2021
I got this eARC from Netgalley in exhange for a honest review

It sounded interesting and i had high expetations when i dove into the book but i don`t know? it had some nice parts espesially the Harry Potter references, i liked that but for most parts i were just bored? the Kleptomaniac parts were suddenly forgotten and idk i thought it was going to have more to the story since the start was heavy with it at the start. But everyone seemed to accsept that she just took things? i found that odd. The chemistry between Alma and Rumour felt...forced? or that it happend too fast and it just...wasn`t something i felt? maybe a bit of both. Rumour was sort of interesting, thought everyone seemed to accsept him right away when Alma took him with her almost as one of the things she takes.
Profile Image for Candyce Kirk.
1,156 reviews31 followers
May 14, 2020
When I read the synopsis, I knew this was going to be like something I've never read before. Alma Underwood is Not a Kleptomaniac hit me in all the feels. This book had me laughing and even in tears and in the end I had such a warm and cozy feeling. I don't think I'll be forgetting about this story anytime soon.

Alma is a kleptomaniac, but maybe not in the way a lot of people are expecting. She works at her parents' motel and when people leave, she collects the things they leave behind. I know this isn't exactly good, but I loved the way Alma thinks. She gives each item a story and makes them special. This gave it a whole other meaning than just stealing things because you can. Alma also has the biggest heart I've read about in a long time. When she discovers Rumor, the first thing she thinks is she needs to help. She doesn't think it's fair he's living like that and grieving at the same time.

Rumor is a character my heart broke for. He unexpectedly lost his father and his mother left when he was small. He's hurting a lot and all he wants is to find his mother and hopefully be a part of a family again. I love how Rumor's character was portrayed. He seemed so real and full of emotions. I also thought he was really strong. Only 17 and already have so much hurt. Rumor was also born without part of one of his arms. This didn't stop him and he showed us there's nothing he can't do.

The journey Rumor and Alma go on to find his mother was so special. Alma has a big family and her siblings figure out Rumor has been living in her room (I'm still shocked her parents didn't notice this at all) and decide to help. After a certain chapter I kind of figured out how the story would go, but that didn't take away any of my enjoyment. This book was so unique in the fact that instead of getting mad when secrets were revealed, the parents were supportive and wanted Rumor to get everything he needed and deserved.

There is also a touch of romance between Alma and Rumor and I loved reading about it as it developed. It's no insta-love, but we slowly see their feelings develop and it feels really special. I think they both needed each other more than they realized. Add the amazing cast of side characters who are just as quirky and lovable as Alma and Rumor. This book will be held in a special place in my heart from now on and I know I'll be revisiting this one in the future!
Profile Image for Victoria Larsen.
156 reviews29 followers
April 23, 2020
THIS BOOK. oh my gosh! I think it’s safe to say that Alma is one of my favorite characters ever. This book made me laugh and then cry but it was so beautifully written! This is my first read from Lacey Dailey and NOT MY LAST. This book is about heartbreak and the relationships that are always there; no matter what you’re going through. I must say that this book is so amazing and perfect and I give it all the stars!
Profile Image for Farah.
587 reviews54 followers
August 28, 2019
Butterfly kisses and tiny violin's. Using Lacey Dailey's words to describe my own emotions while reading this story and how I feel long after reading The End.

I felt the flutters and I heard the symphony all within my soul with every page turn.

This story took me on a journey of love, friendship, grief and acceptance. There's a million more things it taught me but those are a few that matter the most.

Alma Underwood and her whole clan were a crazy bunch to meet but meeting them is one of my happiest moments from the book. They're the most strangest but caring people in the world. They have big hearts and that's something Alma inherited a lot of.

Rumor Rawling, first up, what a name. I could say that name for days. He's a sweetheart, a little closed off when Alma finds him in her boxcar but gently and quickly she's able to unfold him. She's able to discover so much about him by simply being kind and showing that she cares.

It's a delicate and sweet story. Without spoiling much, Alma Underwood is a bit of hoarder she likes to find left over belongings in her parents motel and write stories about them. When she discovers Rumor in one of her treasures (as she calls them) she can't help the need to help him.

Rumor has left home, he's on a mission to find his mother after being left an orphan. He wants to find family. Somewhere to belong. Little does he know that Alma is about to become everything he ever wished for.

There's a lot of sweet moments, my favourite being the chapter 'A Bench Behind Doggy Style', to know why you're going to have to pick it up. Along with the sweetness, there is humour and heart. The perfect mixture of emotion to have you on balance to crave more and want to put it away at the same time so the characters you grow to love don't hurt.

Another poignant part of this wonderful story is the secondary characters. Alma's family is in a category of their own. Here I'm talking about Reggie (my new bestie), Josh (my new brother) and Arthur and Echo (Alma's best friends but I'm going to steal them now too!). They help to move the story along, show emotional support while also keeping the story light.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story and would totally read it again just to feel those butterfly kisses and hear the tiny violins again. It's a story that will stay in your heart long after you've finished it.

Thank you Lacey Dailey for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. I loved meeting Rumor and Alma! 😊
Profile Image for Kristen Granata.
Author 12 books1,332 followers
October 24, 2019
Original. Interesting. Heartwarming. Quirky. This is Lacey’s best work yet. She keeps getting better & better with each book. This was such an original storyline & I loved how every one of the characters were written. (Rumor might just be my favorite though) This was such a great read. I know I keep saying the word “original” but that’s the best way to describe Lacey’s writing, her ideas, her books, plots, etc. Just out of the box & I love all of it!
Profile Image for L.J. Evans.
Author 25 books1,130 followers
November 19, 2019
Lacey Dailey did a beautiful job with this story. It's a gorgeous YA, coming-of-age romance with a physically disabled hero and a do-good heroine that was completely hard to resist. It had a whole host of quirky, lovable secondary characters that made you smile and laugh all at the same time.

It was gorgeously done.

Love this quote: "If we increase our speed, we become numb. We lose the difference between having a life and actually living."

Can't wait to read more of her words!
Profile Image for Jessica Reads It.
547 reviews28 followers
April 22, 2020
First ask yourself, are you ready for the biggest plot twist since Darth Vader revealed he was Luke Skywalker’s father? If not, still proceed because this book is wickedly hilarious!

We start off with Alma, she is such a diverse and interestingly kooky character who has genuinely made me believe there can be happy endings. Alma has the innate ability to find the beauty in objects discarded or left behind by others. She uses this ability to help a homeless boy named Rumor find his mum, his heart and ultimately himself!

The author has written this in such a way that I cannot even get mad that she is an underage girl offering a homeless boy a slice of pizza to sleep on or that they are engaging in deep discussions about wieners behind doggy styles.

Rumor is broken, alone and fighting his way to find a home. His journey of feeling inadequate, unwanted and being a runaway highlights underlying issues of the foster and child care system. He has lost a piece of him and finds that what he thought he wanted and what he needed may be different after all.

This book has witty banter, a one-handed guy, butt scooching, eclectic family, and a wise old man, I mean, what more can you ask for?
Profile Image for Jem Jones.
71 reviews
May 17, 2020
Alma Underwood is not a kleptomaniac. According to the Mayo Clinic (via Google), kleptomania is "the recurrent inability to resist urges to steal items that you generally don't really need and that usually have little value." And while yes, these items have little value, and no, she doesn't need them, I agree with Alma that it's not stealing if they're abandoned. (Also she feels no guilt afterwards, which is [apparently] a common feature of kleptomania.)

Alma collects lost and abandoned items. She calls them unwanted treasures and says she's "saving them". (And she writes backstories for them.) And then she finds a boy and decides "you have nowhere to stay? no one to look after you? you're mine now." Completely blunt, bulldozing straight across social niceties.

(His response is "you're a stranger? I'm a stranger? you're insane??" but she comes back with:)
"I'm not insane. I'm a person offering you a place to shower." I look around. "Where do you even go to the bathroom? The woods? Do you want to poop in the woods, Rumor? I have a perfectly fine toilet across the field."

And then she hides him in her bedroom, and her siblings find out (except 3/4 of them have known for weeks) and have a big chaotic meeting, and they hunt for Rumor's mum, and there's the inevitable falling-for-each-other with Alma and Rumor, and Alma threatens to physically fight her brother when he puts her on the Slytherin research team when she's a die-hard Hufflepuff.

I'm not doing a good job of describing this book, but I want to state: I do like Alma. She cares so strongly!

Annnd my review has devolved into a list like always:

:) - family dynamics! five siblings isn't the biggest family ever, but they're pretty good siblings! by which I mean: chaos
:) - light-hearted banter ("you should have found out more about me before you kidnapped me: I NEVER change the toilet paper roll" "*gasp* I brought home a mONSTER")

:( - content warning: moderate language (except for one slang phrase I understood to be very vulgar?? which is treated like any other slang phrase??) and innuendo (what happens when you give a bunch of teens a favourite food shop that only sells hot dogs...)
:( - there's a lot of physical description? also everyone is roaring with laughter, which I 0/10 understand as I am the person who writes "XD" while giving a small huff of laughter through my nose.
:( - I cared 0% for Alma's best friends from school. Not for the girl with silvery magnetic eyes, not for the gay black guy who has pink nails and tries to flirt with Alma's big brother.
:( - a lot of the chapters don't seem to flow/connect from the one before?
:( - this might be just me?? but calling your girlfriend "Baby" is a giant cringe in my mind.

Overall, I'm not sure if this book could have used some work on its plot/cohesion, or if I just don't read much contemporary? But I love Alma's fierce caring and thought she had huge potential, so I was fairly happy to follow her through this book.

I received an ARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,757 reviews285 followers
December 28, 2020

This book was amazing and I loved it so much, as a big reader this doesn't happen very often but as I got stuck into this book it just flowed and I loved the Underwood family and their personalities. The book starts by introducing us to Alma whom her family owns a motel called the Great Lakes and her parents run it, Alma helps clean it and they have Reggie - the "senior intern" at the front desk. Alma loves finding treasures and one day while relaxing in her train car named "Mo" she meets a guy about her age called Rumor Rawlings. He is homeless after his dad died and he has come to Flat Rock to find his mother as he has nowhere else to go and he isn't going back to the group foster home. Alma being a collector and a genuinely nice person brings him home to her room and sets him up in the attic. Throughout the novel, we meet Alma's crazy family and soon they all get involved in Rumour's journey. What happens though when they learn the truth about Rumour's mother? Will his family be closer than he thinks? Alma Underwood is not a Kleptomaniac by Lacey Dailey was a cutesy YA novel and the Underwoods is a family you would love to be a part of. If you need a great YA novel, then look no further as you will not be disappointed with this 2019 read. It takes a lot to impress me book-wise these days and this one hits the spot.
Profile Image for Amy [Book Addict Reviews].
1,992 reviews149 followers
September 30, 2019
Alma and Rumor. I can’t explain how much I LOVE these two and their relationship. This story was funny, it was sweet, it was romantic, it was emotional, and it was heartbreaking.

Alma and the whole Underwood family are a crazy bunch. There is so much love and laughter within that family. Alma has a heart of gold and it shows when she finds Rumor and pretty much decides for him that he is her new roommate. Rumor Rawlings. My heart broke for him, I just wanted to give him a hug. He has experienced a lot in his life, but hasn’t given up. When he meets Alma, his life changes forever. The more time he spends with Alma the more he starts to open up, he lets down the walls that he built to protect himself.

This book is truly beautiful. The cover, the story and the writing. I was completely sucked into this story and fell in love with not just Alma and Rumor but every single character in this story. They all added so much to the story and played a role in the plot.

Alma Underwood Is NOT A Kleptomaniac is a beautiful story of love and finding yourself again. This book is one I know that I will think about in the future.

Profile Image for Natasha B.
343 reviews6 followers
May 17, 2020
In this book we follow Alma, a teen who works at her parent’s motel and collects ‘treasures’ that people leave behind. One day, she stumbles across Rumor, a homeless, one handed teen who has run away from his home town after his dad’s death.

There are some really sweet, lovely moments in this book, not only between Alma and Rumor but with other characters too. I loved Alma’s quirky family where it’s normal to not be ‘normal’ and they are allowed to be completely themselves.

This book isn’t all sweetness and light. It tackles some tough but very real storylines. I’d look into it further before reading if you are triggered by grief, loss of a parent, depression or suicide.

While there’s a sprinkling of romance, this book focuses much more on strong friendships and relationships. And supporting and understanding people when they are grieving or need someone. This wasn’t the fun, fast read I expected but it made me think and feel a lot. I think we all need to be a bit more Alma sometimes :)

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley. These opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Ga Books LoverX.
2,186 reviews21 followers
September 30, 2019
I adore Lacey Dailey, but this young adult romance was freaking out of the world. I adored the premise and how EVERYTHING played out.

Alma Underwood is a special soul that any one of use would be better off knowing. Rumor is the exact same though, what a wonderful guy that basically had one hurtle after another and then finally meets that lovely Alma that basically pushes herself inside of his heart.

If you are a fan of wonderful young adult romances, this is 100% your jam! It was a beautiful story that you absolutely should read. It was a fresh story line that kept me guessing every step of the way. I loved when the light bulb went off in my head though and I had my ah ha moment, even though it was kind of devastating as well. Read the book and you will totally know what I mean!

PS: Thank you to Lacey and Give Me Books PR for allowing me an advanced copy of the book to read and review honestly!
Profile Image for Claire.
128 reviews12 followers
June 16, 2020
* Thank you to NetGalley for the eArc to review *

Alma Underwood is a teenager working in her parents' motel, collecting items that have been left behind by others, claiming them as her treasure. When spending time in the abandoned train car near her house, she comes across something else to add to her collection - a boy. Rumor is taken in by Alma as he is homeless, and searching for something himself.

I really, really wanted to love this book and sadly this just didn't hit the mark for me. I was in a contemporary romance mood and this just didn't scratch that itch that I had. I felt like the story was very tell, tell, tell, instead of showing you things through the writing.

I can absolutely see why people would adore this book, it's just a shame it didn't work for me.
Profile Image for Britt The Hatters.
1,414 reviews92 followers
September 30, 2019
Ever since her debut Lacey Dailey has been blowing me away, so even though I typically shy away from most reads that even hint at being YA related I still knew I couldn’t miss this book. From the intriguing title to the even more intriguing blurb everything about this book stands out from the rest.
Funny, quirky, undeniably sweet and packed with some powerfully moving emotion Alma Underwood Is Not a Kleptomaniac became one of my favorite books of the year almost immediately! Alma and Rumor have a story that grabs your heart and doesn’t let go. This young couple has such a beautiful, innocent, yet incredibly deep love it’s impossible to not absolutely adore them.
Profile Image for Julia.
Author 1 book44 followers
October 25, 2020
Alma Underwood is not a kleptomaniac, she doesn't steal, keeps abandoned objects left in her parents motel. One day Alma finds a boy in an old train car at the edge of the field behind the house. Since Alma is a very fiercely caring person, she decides that this boy, Rumor, is now hers to care for and hides him in her bedroom.

Of course the family finds out. Of course the two of them fall in love on the way.

I have to say, I truly liked Alma, but I didn't like this story. It felt a bit disjointed in places. Some of the banter and dialogue felt clunky and I found myself skimming the second half of the story.
Profile Image for Briana Cooper.
181 reviews11 followers
August 2, 2020
This book is a breath of fresh air. It roped me in and kept me there til the last page.

It’s such a different concept than any other book I’ve read. It tugged on every single heartstring I have. I found myself crying happy and sad tears.
Rumor and Alma have such a connection that is soul deep. They genuinely adore each other and it’s the sweetest thing. I love how the author describes their feelings. It’s unique.

The ending was especially bittersweet but also the perfect conclusion. I’m so happy I picked this one up. 🥰
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,520 reviews16 followers
September 28, 2019
Alma Underwood Is Not A Kleptomaniac by Lacey Dailey is the story of Alma Underwood and Rumor Rawling. Alma is a funny, odd but with a big heart type young heroine. Alma likes to collect things and make write stores up about them. One day she finds Rumor who is out to find his mother which opens up a story about him. This was a sweet funny young romance that I really enjoyed.
Profile Image for Ashley Cestra.
955 reviews21 followers
September 30, 2019
What a cute little quirky story! I enjoyed the uniqueness of these words and the little twist and turns the characters went through! Aside from a few parts that lost my attention this was overall a decent story. This is my first time reading Lacey and I’m curious to see what she writes next!
6 reviews1 follower
January 5, 2020
I finished this book a while ago but just now sitting down to review. I loved the character development in this book! Alma is one of my new favorite heroines. Being from a small town in Michigan myself, it was easy for me to visualize the setting and feel the soul of the writing. 5 stars!
Profile Image for TBHONEST.
733 reviews9 followers
April 29, 2020
A beautiful story, filled with engaging characters who are very easy to connect with as you join them on their journey experiencing love, grief, heartbreak and the power of finding yourself.
Profile Image for Sommer.
504 reviews9 followers
May 11, 2020
4.5
The story gives you feels but it didn't quite make me cry though the romance is very cute. It's nice and there is no real relationship issues like other romances usually do. They're sweet, open, rumour is open about his feelings and is moody but opens his mouth and explains his reasoning
Displaying 1 - 30 of 80 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.