Start by marking “Romanov” as Want to Read:
Romanov

Romanov

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  4,335 ratings  ·  1,491 reviews
The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them . . . and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of survival are to either
Hardcover, Shelflove Crate Exclusive
Published May 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Romanov, please sign up.
Mary It is a standalone but she has another magical spin on history called Fawkes!
The Grimm Reader
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  4,335 ratings  ·  1,491 reviews

Start your review of Romanov
Nadine Brandes
Jul 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Any ANASTASIA fans in the room?

I have been DYING to share this news with everyone! ROMANOV will be another historical fantasy standalone. And now that I'm squealing, I'm at risk of revealing spoilers (BECAUSE I'M THAT EXCITED.) For those who want a teensy more info about the book's inspiration,you can find it in my dorky YouTube announcement.
MischaS_
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Romanov family fascinates people for a century. Well, their end does.
And I was curious what Nadine Brandes would do with the story. And mainly how she's going to end the story, that's what I'm always curious to see.

I believe that the book had great potential. However, it seems a bit like a miss. Like the story is always the one note away for me to really enjoy. But it's still an enjoyable read,
emma
well, i started using netgalley.

my tbr should fear me.
jessica
like many girls born in the 90s who begged their parents to take them to see the groundbreaking film ‘anastasia’ in theatres, i too have fostered a lifelong obsession with all things romanov. i would never claim to be an expert on russian history or the imperial family, but i have read loads of books about the subject. and because of that, i have a lot of thoughts about this novel. so bear with me.

first, i think this a good novel for anyone looking to dip a little toe into the romanov family
C.G. Drews
This was definitely the type of Anastasia retelling I have been waiting for!!! I already knew I'd love this book before I picked it up, I mean pfft have u seen Fawkes which is a magical Guy Fawkes retelling that exploded into my life and I am still thinking about a year later?!? Exactly. Nadine Brandes does the best HF retellings...but adds in magic and heartbreak and endings that cut deep, but also aren't hopeless. I love that balance. Love it.

*:·゚ | PLOT | *:·゚
If you know the history of the
Zainab
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not understand why none of y'all are reading this book at this very moment. Honestly just drop whatever you're reading because I assure you it's not half as good as this book.
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the *children* version of Anastasia. I don't really care for it because I find the true story much better. (Please look it up if you don't know)
Anyway, this is a retelling of Anastasia (as if it wasn't clear) It involves spells and stuff and feels like a better nicer version of
Vibur
I liked Romanov. Really, I did.
But.
The setting was… ho-hum. What should be descriptions of places were instead inconsequential, uninspired snippets of text. Sure, there was the whole house arrest shebang, so it'd be unfair of me to fault the setting for being as claustrophobic as it was, but I can fault the writing for being bland and undescriptive—after two hundred pages, I should have a better sketch-out of the house than just the fact that there was, uh, a couple of rooms. Oh, and stairs.
Tucker

Many thanks to Thomas Nelson Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
No one can out shout a revolution

If the Romanov family lived in the Harry Potter world, it would be this book. Inspiring, beautiful and captivating, I could not have loved this book more. Now, I know that not a ton of people enjoyed this book which honestly doesn’t make much sense to me. I mean, what’s not to like. No, wait. Don’t answer that.

So, what’s this book about
Romanov follows Anastasia and her
Katie  Hanna
DNF.

Please do not mistake the lengthy ramblings below for "I-read-the-whole-book-and-here-are-my-thoughts," but rather, "I-decided-not-to-continue-and-here's-why."

*deep breath* *cracks knuckles*

Romanov is a historical fantasy novel starring 16-year-old Anastasia Nikolaevna, daughter of the last Tsar of Russia. We learn within the first few pages that Anastasia, or "Nastya," aspires to become a Russian 'spell master' (i.e., practitioner of an ancient brand of magic that lets you speak special
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

From the author of Fawkes comes a magical take on the story of Anastasia Romanov.

The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Ever since I read Fawkes, I knew I loved Nadine’s writing, and when Romanov was announced, I couldn’t be happier. As I have spend my childhood and young adult life in the Balkans, whilst travelling across Europe, I have always admired Russia, and always enjoyed reading all the theories about the Romanov
Erin
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Jane
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
ROMANOV is a raw, real story, full of pain and hurt. But it's beautiful. It's full of love and light and courage. Courage to hope beyond the hopeless. It's the kind of story you don't just walk away from unchanged.

I was blown away by the characters. Every single person who appears on the page, even if they're only there for a few chapters, has a heart and a story and a reason. They're like living, breathing humans.

I loved the relationships between the Romanov family. The sister telepathy, the
Candace Robinson
This was an interesting read, while getting to know more about the Romanov family. The book is beautifully written with a family bond. I just think historical fantasy/fiction isn’t my favorite genre!
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
The book spirits have granted me access to an eARC! and I am!! so happy!!
Serethiel ☽ ✨
July 2018:

HELLO YES I NEED THIS NOW NADINE IS BASICALLY THE BEST AND OH MY WORD AN ANASTASIA RETELLING???? *all the heart-eyes*

May 2019:

I HAVE READ IT. AND I HAVE THOUGHTS. AND I HAVE FEELINGS.

Feeling #1) That. Aside. MIND. BLOWN. (Teach me your ways, Nadine!)

Feeling #2) I A-D-O-R-E-D the Romanovs' family bond! It made me think so much of my own family. I LOVED IT.

Feeling #3) Pg. 152. I still haven't recovered. *sobs*

Feeling #4) Pg. 212 made me cry ALL THE HAPPY TEARS.

Feeling #5) Ch. 31.
R.F. Gammon
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Let no one ever call you tame."

THIS WAS FANTASTIC. I don't think it tops Nadine's Out of Time series (because that one truly is just the most fantastic thing ever), but it's still so, so, so good.

Anastasia (or Nastya, as she is called in this book), was the feisty and strong-willed heroine we're all tired of--except she wasn't! She was so complex, and her drive to protect her family was beautiful. She was mischievous. She cared about people. She truly struggled with her desire to love people,
Luupi "The Reading Queen"
29/10/18 I got an ARC of it!!!! :D I'm sooo excited
description

18/10/18 It's fantasy, it's about the romanovs and it has a gorgeous cover. I'm sold <3
Abigail
My copy of Romanov just came in the mail!!!!! I also got a $100 wine voucher......I am praying that this book isn't too depressing! ...more
nadia (( disquieting thing ))
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

lots of spoilers ahead, everything is a spoiler, even if you are familiar with the historical events, spoilers spoilers spoilers !!!!

“You find joy in so many little things. For once... I want to see joy find you. Surprise you. You deserve it.”

and i deserve joy, too! i deserve to love a fantasy novel about the time period that i am so passionate about, right?
Lisa Elis
time for a lisa review about this lovely work of art called romanov!! first tho, a disclaimer : I have never read anything fictional or nonfictional about the romanovs and I have never seen the movie/musical/whatever of anastasia so I went into this with a completely blank slate of knowledge and expectations, totally open minded and excited to let this be my first experience of the story. with that said, onward we march -

:: I loved the aesthetic of the book!! it's really good!! and it matches
Lili  (@lilikmarcus) Marcus
I’m not that familiar with Russian history but I have heard of Anastasia Romanov and I really want to read a book about her. That’s the first reason why I requested this the moment I saw it on Netgalley. Second, God I love the cover. It really is so beautiful and gorgeous. Just so pretty.

(Please note that I am talking about the fictional book I read, not the real history. I will never comment on a history I’m not familiar with.)

Anyway, let’s get on with stuff that matters more in the book.
m a r y l i z
*deep breath*

O K A Y.

I wanted to fall in love with this book. I really did.

But . . . to be perfectly honest, I never connected that much to it.

L I K E S:

- Family bonds! All the close relationships among the Romanovs were lovely. It was evident that they loved each other dearly and would die for each other in an instant. I always adore a good family relationship, yes I do.

-The concept. Anastasia happens to be my FAVORITE Broadway musical, so the concept of an Anastasia retelling?? TAKE MY MONEY.
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I received this eARC from Thomas Nelson (publishers) via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

No one could outshout a revolution.

This felt like a bad flashback to when I tried to read an ARC of Dark of the West and could only make it a few chapters in, only this time, I could only make it about 1 chapter and then only barely.

DNF at 7%

My biggest issue with this
Tricia Mingerink
How do I ever write an adequate review of this amazing book???? It's so good!

Romanov, starts in the middle of the tension. I was actually surprised at where it started at first. I expected it to start before the downfall of the Russian tsar, but instead it focuses on what happens when they are already under house arrest. Already suffering. And it works well for the book. It focuses the book on their final days, giving time to let the book fully tell the story of those last days of tension
Noa ☾
ARC provided through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Where do I even start ? I was really excited to get into this story because Russia + Magic + Anastasia… It just had me, you know ? The plot was very promising but the execution was REALLY bad.

The magic system : if you asked me to explain the magic in this book, I… can’t. I’m still confused because if I happened to be some spell master and I discovered that the only thing I can use is some spell ink that’s basically useless, I’d
Sh3lly
RELEASE DAY!

Full review found at Grumpy Book Grrrl.

Release date: May 7, 2019

Thank you Netgalley and publisher for a digital copy to read and review.
The Clever Reader
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a wild ride! From prisoner to fugitive to spell master, Nastya is faced with many challenges. She is the daughter of the former Tsar and now they have been placed in hiding and guarded by their enemy. When her father is taken from her he leaves her with a secret that could help save their lives.

This story has so many intense moments that leave you wondering who will survive to the end! I enjoyed how fast paced this book was and the back and forth between who Nastya can trust
Melissa Tagg
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa. Whooooooaaaa.

I have not been this googley-eyed over a book in quite awhile. I don't even often read YA books...or fantasies! BUT I could not resist the premise of this one. I've been fascinated by Russian history since fourth grade and am always so intrigued by anything relating to the Romanovs...especially (of course!) Anastasia.

And oh my goodness, I loooooved this book. I read it in less than 24 hours...I actually stayed up late last night reading, which, anymore is a mega feat for
Kendra Ardnek
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not crying. You're crying.
Jemima jamir aka Sentranced Jem
PSX_20181114_150034

Title: Romanov
Author: Nadine Brandes
Genre: Historical Fiction, Re-telling
Publication date: May 7, 2019

I understand that a lot of people are quiet on the fence about re-tellings but I LOVE a good re-telling. I love the imagination and creativity it takes to be able to wield and capture an audience and entice them into making them fall in love with a story that they already know and love or in some cases know and hate. hahaha.

So, it's suffice to say that I am always on the lookout for a
The Very Omnibus ...: July's BOTM-Romanov 2 4 Jul 18, 2019 09:54PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Romanov by Nadine Brandes - Restarting July 7th 2019 54 48 Jul 17, 2019 03:51PM
The Procrastinato...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Romanov (May 2019) - Steph 27 28 May 26, 2019 09:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: please add cover 1 13 Sep 26, 2018 09:52AM

• Sorcery of Thorns
  • To Best the Boys
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Enchantée (Enchantée, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • The Kingdom
NADINE BRANDES once spent four days as a sea cook in the name of book research.She is the author of FAWKES, ROMANOV, and the award-winning Out of Time Series. Her inner fangirl perks up at themention of soul-talk,Quidditch, bookstagram, and Oreos. When she's not busy writing novels about bold living, she'sadventuring through Middle Earthor taste-testing a new chai. Nadine, her Auror husband, and ...more
“Why won't you die?"
"because I have a story I was meant to live. And not even you can unwrite it.”
15 likes