Start by marking “The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)

The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)

New friends can be found in unexpected places. For Bridget and Amy, that place was the cancer ward of an Anchorage hospital. Now, as each struggles to overcome loss, they lean on each other for support—sharing suppers, laughter and tears.

Bridget and Amy aren’t about to let hardship knock them down—Bridget plans to return to her veterinarian school studies, Amy
Expected publication: March 31st 2020 by Kensington Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday Potluck Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday Potluck Club

Literary Soirée
This preview about two friends who meet on a cancer ward portends a real winner, one I look forward to reading in full when it becomes available. Bridget is in vet school, Amy a second grade teacher. They bond with other grieving women as members of the Sunday Potluck Club, sharing food, tears, laughter, and hope. I can’t wait to see how their stories unfold! 5/5

Pub Date 31 Mar 2020.

Thanks to Melissa Storm, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine
Donna Hines
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
What a way to meet a new friend....at a cancer ward at a Anchorage Hospital .
However you meet friends in unexpected places and Bridget and Amy are embarking on this new journey of healing and discovery after hardships together.
Why not...
They are members after all of this club for those who've lost loved ones and perhaps it could lead to something truly lovely...or loving!
You know they say you find love when you least expect it too so maybe this Valentines' Day Adoption in
Hristina
Aug 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
I read an excerpt of this book and it left me wanting more. I liked the humor intertwined in the text, and the friendships were amazing. It feels like the start of an engaging novel.
I look forward to the full book.
Janet
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

A recipe for living . . .

New friends can be found
Lorrie
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, net-galley
Dang it! I want to read the rest of this book NOW! The four friends are each already so interesting, I want to get to know them better. The scrapbooker had such an interesting way to help deal with the death of her mother. What about Any & the mysterious Trent who rear ended her? I want to read more.
Dawn Wells
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the pre view read I received through Netgalley. Meeting new friends as adults can be hard to do for anyone. meeting on a cancer ward must be even more. However, this is so well written with humor and warmth.
Sara Oxton
Sunday Potluck Club by Melissa Storm a fair three star read. I only had the first few chapters of this one, so it may get better, and I really hope it does as it shows promise, it just didn’t deliver yet. Four friends in this story are all interesting and bring something to it, getting more of their stories may make this a better read.
Dorre
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excerpt graciously provided by the publisher via netgalley and I can not wait to read the rest.
Anne - ReadingfortheWeekend
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the advance copy excerpt in exchange for an honest review.

The Sunday Potluck Club is about a group of friends in Alaska who met under the worst kind of circumstances- each had a parent in the cancer ward of the hospital. During their time in the hospital, they all found one another and built friendships over their shared experiences.

The main character, Amy, is the motherly and level headed one of the group. Which is why it i
Rashel
Aug 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
** received the first 59 pages from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **

The first few chapters of this book were such a teaser and I am seriously SO excited to read the whole book once it’s released.

This book is the story of four friends who meet in the oncology ward of a hospital in Anchorage, Alaska, all the primary caretakers of parents who are battling cancer. The book starts with the funeral of Bridget’s mother, the last death. Amy’s mother has already passed as well a
Vanessa
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Storm is anew author for me and I enjoyed this review copy of The Sunday Potluck Club. This story really could be a "real life" story, as you never know where you make friends, who end up being the most important one's in your life.

Bridget and Amy met in a cancer ward, overcoming loss and heartache, friendship developed and they began sharing suppers, laughter and tears.

Neither of them are about to let hardship knock. Both planning on continuing their lives as previous
Tula
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story about friends meeting in the hospital cancer ward while each had been caring for a parent in the terminal stages of the disease. I could totally relate to this as I cared for my father. I loved all the connections I made throughout the book.

As each of the ladies tries to deal with their grief in their own way they are supportive of each other and lift each other up and toward healing, after their loss. I love how this story shows that there is no right or wrong way to
Alexandra
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This seems like it's going to be a really lovely book! The excerpt introduces us to four friends who met because they each had a parent fighting cancer. Amy (our protagonist) is having a hard time dealing with the death of her mother and I think that's a feeling that anyone can imagine or relate to. The death of any loved one is incredibly hard, especially when we're young. I think it's a great start to reading about someone figuring out how to deal with their grief and rebuild their life.

We ar
Cassie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Four women met in the cafeteria of the hospital where each was spending time with a parent undergoing chemotherapy. A year later, they are grappling with loss and grief and how to support each other. They turn to having weekly potlucks to connect and heal, while also striving to find meaning in their daily activities.

While the author is tackling a very worthwhile and difficult subject in dealing with grief, the pace and flow of the story just didn't draw me in. The sentence structure
Sherry Greene
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book focuses on four women who have become friends through sad shared circumstances of each having a parent suffering from cancer. They have created a support group to help each other as they travel this journey in their lives.

Somehow I missed the fact that this was only an excerpt of a coming book, and was so disappointed when it ended. This book is so good and I was looking forward to seeing how each woman overcomes her feelings. I like to see if I can figure out how things will progress
RaLynn
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this excerpt. This is a book about 4 friends navigating life after a tragic event. I love the way these ladies support each other and the overall premise of this book. I will say, the first chapter was a little rough to get through because we are plopped into a very hard time in the life of one of the characters and we don't really know enough about her to feel invested in her turmoil. But I urge you to stick with it! As you progress through the chapters you begin to learn and c ...more
Donna
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just got an excerpt of this book from NetGalley. When I first started the book I wasn't sure that I would like it at all. The four women in the book all met at the cancer ward of the hospital when their parents were all undergoing treatment. The book starts when three of them are headed to the funeral of the fourth woman's mother. After that funeral, the focus shifts to a reentry into the world of work and the struggles that includes. This book seems like it will be an emotional roller coaster ...more
Whitney Lawson
I read a preview of this book, and so far it does not disappoint. Four women (Amy, Bridget, Nichole, and Hazel) are interconnected in one of the worst possible ways, their parents having cancer. What the preview showed left me wanting more. What will become of these four women? Will they remain friends or will their friendship slowly fizzle out? We get a glimpse at how each one is differently affected by their ordeal and how their situations may have possibly changed who they are. I can't wait t ...more
Terry
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Better not to grieve alone

This is the story of four friends who met while caring for their loved ones battling cancer. In the excerpt I read, we follow Amy, whose mother died of brain cancer. Each woman is unique and confonts their grief differently. As we start the book, Amy is in the stage of returning to work after bereavement. Another friend, Bridget, begins volunteering at a local animal shelter.

What I got to read of this book shows emotion, wit, and the possibility of some ro
Psusan
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The excerpt of The Sunday Potluck Club served to make me want to read the entire book written by Melissa Storm when it is available in 2020. Now it will be difficult to wait for the full story of Bridget and Amy who meet in a cancer ward. The club starts out as a support for them but becomes so much more.

It is on my watchlist for March 2020. Full review will come after I am able to read the entire book. Will find waiting difficult. 5 Stars for the excerpt I as able to read now.

The p
Kelsey Robinson
Sep 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr
Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington books for a early excerpt in exchange for an honest review.

I was originally very excited to read this as the reviews looked promising! Unfortunately, I just really could not get into the story. It took me almost 3 weeks to read the 59 page excerpt and I'm someone who can usually rip through 400+ pages in a day. I did not like any of the characters and I found the writing style very simple. The pace was incredibly slow and sentences were very choppy which an
BookwormishMe
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ng-reviews, reviewed
When four women meet at a hospital where their respective parents are being treated for cancer, they form a bond and a Sunday night dinner club. This allows the four of them to commiserate and vent and get away from dealing with cancer for a night. As their parents die, one by one, is there still any reason for them to stay friends?

I didn’t realize that this was a preview to the full novel when I started it. Now I’m hooked and would really like to know how things turn out! Looking fo
Cat
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not exactly the kind of book I'd usually read, but this one caught my eye, and, though only a excerpt of the story,I really enjoyed it! The women felt like women I know. Drawn together by parents with cancer, the women form a tight knit group who support each other in their trials. They gather for pot lucks to provide support services for each other and even attend each's parents funerals- those vary wildly and widely in nature. Such an uplifting story. I think it will find lots of readers! It i ...more
Nicola Short
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book seems like it will be a light summer read. The story revolves around friends that meet by chance at a cancer ward at a hospital in Anchorage. Each one struggles on how to deal with the loss of a loved one.
I was really getting into the story when it ended.......thanking me for reading an excerpt of The Sunday Potluck Club. What a let done. I need to know how this story ends!
Thanks to NetGallery, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this excerpt.....though I’m sad it wa
Miriam
Aug 10, 2019 added it
Amy Shannon met her friends are on a journey, a journey that none of them want to be on.

The Sunday Potluck club follows Amy, Hazel, Bridget and Nichole. They met when they were each supporting one of their parents through cancer treatment.

The four women bonded, and the potluck club was born. Every Sunday they meet and have a potluck meal.
The story opens, focusing on Amy and her return to work. We also find out more about the other members of the club.

I can’t wait t
Olivia Burgos
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of the book got me to request for the book. I lost my mom to cancer too, like the girls in this book. With only a few chapters to read, I understood that this is going to be a book about friendships, working through grief and love. I look forward to the rest of the story. However, I did notice the story was dialogue-heavy, and my eyes have a tendency to glaze over who is speaking at the moment, whether it's Bridget, Amy, etc. Also, there were still a few typos but nothing that can't ...more
Stephanie Brown
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t realize it was only a snippet of the book. It starts off good. It’s the story of four friends who meet in a
Cancer ward because they are caring for a sick parent. This is the start of the third funeral and one of the parents is in
Remission. They have a pact to not judge how each of them
Grieve but they second member Amy, who lost her mother a month before,they nod her friend Bridget is not dealing with her mother’s loss. Amy is just returning to work but hadn’t been hers
Julia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This review is based on an excerpt of the novel. The full novel will be published in March 2020.

This might be a really lovely novel. The excerpt introduces four friends who met at a cancer ward and lost a loved one to cancer. Amy, the main character, is struggling quite hard after losing her mother to cancer, especially since the disease changed her mother's personality.

It's a book about grief, about rebuilding your life after you have lost an important person in your life.
Bohemian Bibliophile
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-authors, arc
Although I was well aware that it is a preview, I was a tad disappointed I could not read more about Amy, Bridget, and Hazel, and their journey towards healing. As someone who has recently lost a parent, I could relate to the characters and their struggles. It has the makings of a great book. Looking forward to reading the complete version.

*I received the excerpt of the book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Julie Van de Meulebroecke
I received an excerpt from The Sunday Potluck Club as an ARC from NetGalley. When I started reading this, I didn't realize it was just an excerpt and now I need to get the full copy to find out what happens. The Sunday Potluck Club is a group of four women who are bound together by the death of someone important in their lives. They become friends and provide support for each other.

Melissa Storm is a mother first, and everything else second. She used to write under a pseudonym, but finally had the confidence to come out as herself to the world. Her fiction is highly personal and often based on true stories. Writing is Melissa's way of showing her daughter just how beautiful life can be, when you pay attention to the everyday wonders that surround us.

Melissa loves books so much, she maus.

Melissa