Start by marking “The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)

The Sunday Potluck Club

(The Sunday Potluck Club #1)

New friends can be found in unexpected places. For Bridget and Amy, that place was the cancer ward of an Anchorage hospital. Now, as each struggles to overcome loss, they lean on each other for support—sharing suppers, laughter and tears.

Bridget and Amy aren’t about to let hardship knock them down—Bridget plans to return to her veterinarian school studies, Amy to her posit
Published March 31st 2020 by Kensington Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday Potluck Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday Potluck Club

Start your review of The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)
Tina
This is the first book in the Sunday Potluck Club series. This book is about a group of women that made a friendship while they where taking care of their parents that had cancer. This book take place after all, but one of the group of women's parents has passed away. The women meet every sunday to help each other get through loosing their parent. During this book we follow one of the women through out this book. We follow Amy that has only lost her Mom three months ago, and she is a teacher. Sh ...more
Selena
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free excerpt of The Sunday Potluck Club #1 by Melissa Storm from NetGalley for my honest review.

I didn't realize it was just an excerpt when I received this. The Sunday Potluck Club is a group of four women who are bound together by the death of someone important in their lives. It is aa story of their friendship and the support they give to each other.
Mackey
Love Love LOVED The Sunday Potluck Club. And, by the way, this review is about the entire book and not just an excerpt which was previously published.

Four very different women, with distinct personalities, forge a friendship with one another after meeting on a cancer ward. They are the survivors who, with one exception, have lost a loved one to cancer. Amy, who the story primarily revolves around; Bridget, whose mother has just died; Nicole, whose father is in remission and Hazel who lost her mo
Dana
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks once again to Sweetreads Box for putting yet another new author/book on my radar :) This was a heartwarming read. I'm looking forward to the next book. ...more
Literary Redhead
This preview about two friends who meet on a cancer ward portends a real winner, one I look forward to reading in full when it becomes available. Bridget is in vet school, Amy a second grade teacher. They bond with other grieving women as members of the Sunday Potluck Club, sharing food, tears, laughter, and hope. I can’t wait to see how their stories unfold! 5/5

Pub Date 31 Mar 2020.

Thanks to Melissa Storm, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#TheSundayPotluck
JoAn
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Sunday Potluck Club by Melissa Storm was a lovely womens fiction book regarding friendship, grief and learning to move forward after the loss of a loved one. Amy, Bridget, Hazel and Nicole bonded after meeting at an Anchorage hospital while their loved ones were getting chemo treatment. It was an emotional story that was also uplifting as a reader watches each one of them begins a new chapter in their lives.

I received a copy of this book from my local library.
Lesa
I liked the concept of The Sunday Potluck Club by Melissa Storm more than I liked the book. But, I did finish it. It just felt rushed. The relationship felt rushed. And, the child's adjustment felt rushed. It just felt as if there was an oversimplification of all the relationships and emotions. Granted, the women's relationships were actually as important as the romantic one in the book, but, for me, everything felt a little bit off.

Amy Shannon. Bridget. Hazel. Nichole. The four women met when t
Addie Yoder
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I am rounding this up from 3.5. The Sunday Potluck Club really had the potential to be a downer. Its the story of 4 friends who have lost parents and have formed a form of support group and friendship through their loss. The first 50 pages are pretty heavy in that grief and loss and the main characters sad state of mind following the loss of her mom. (and rightly so) But, it really turned from heavy to uplifting when Amy started to move through her grief and her friends did, too. We get to see t ...more
Moony (The Burglar Baggins) MeowPoff
In the end i got to figure out this is an excerpt of the novel. But i'll review it anyway.
It was an easy read but i didn't get time to invest or get the feel to know the characters in such short time.
Kristina
The Sunday Potluck Club by Melissa Storm is a book of friendship, grief, love, unconditional love of animals and healing. The beginning of the story is a little depressing, but the tone soon changes. This is a story about people struggling with their grief which can be overwhelming. Amy, Bridget, and Hazel became friends after meeting in the hospital cafeteria. Each one had a parent going through chemotherapy. Nichole is the fourth member of their group and is fortunate that her father’s cancer ...more
Alice 🌙
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
1/5 ⭐️
First a big thank you to Netgalley for giving me a copy to read in exchange for a honest review.
Now I know this isn’t the whole book, but frankly, I’m not going to read the rest. Why? The story was flat, characters were flat and like nothing happend.
Also the damn formatting... Uhg!!! It was so bloody difficult to know when a sentence started and ended and one word per line and quotation marks here and there and Uhg.
Kim
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Although The Sunday Potluck Club by Melissa Storm is about four women dealing with their parents having had cancer and three of them dying, this book focuses the most on Amy, with Bridget getting a larger share of the story too, compared to Nichole and Hazel.

The book had me crying at the beginning and the end, but the middle didn’t have as strong of a pull on me. Having had cancer myself (currently 10 years in remission) and having lost my mother to ALS five years ago, I quickly found a kinship
Emily
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

“Dogs are better than dudes.”

A group of four women meet while their respective parents are undergoing cancer treatment and become fast friends. They support each other through the care giving and eventual deaths of their parents. The women come together on Sunday’s for dinner and develop the Sunday Potluck Club. This is Amy’s story and she has lost her mother to brain cancer, leaving her with no family. She loves her job as a second grade teacher. Can she open herself up to love?

Sometim
Kasha's Book Sematary
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it

Amy has been through a lot. Since her mother got cancer things have never been the same. She joined a club where other people share their stories and support each other through this hard times. The book focuses on a group of women that made a friendship while they were taking care of their parents that had cancer.

All these women have to learn to move on after losing someone to cancer. A wonderfully written book with a lot of love, realness, some sad moments but many good messages and above all
Donna Hines
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
What a way to meet a new friend....at a cancer ward at a Anchorage Hospital .
However you meet friends in unexpected places and Bridget and Amy are embarking on this new journey of healing and discovery after hardships together.
Why not...
They are members after all of this club for those who've lost loved ones and perhaps it could lead to something truly lovely...or loving!
You know they say you find love when you least expect it too so maybe this Valentines' Day Adoption in which the idea of a Dat
Julia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This review is based on an excerpt of the novel. The full novel will be published in March 2020.

This might be a really lovely novel. The excerpt introduces four friends who met at a cancer ward and lost a loved one to cancer. Amy, the main character, is struggling quite hard after losing her mother to cancer, especially since the disease changed her mother's personality.

It's a book about grief, about rebuilding your life after you have lost an important person in your life.
Zenobia
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for letting me read this one. This was such a sweet book about overcoming loss and finding friendship in the hardest of times (From what I could make out in the excerpt)! What better way to find love than over food? The Sunday Potluck Club has the makings of a lovely movie (I'd love to watch it). Such a lovely read and I cannot wait for the full book to be available! ...more
Booked
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book about friendship, illness and the hjardship that comes with adulthood. It us a sweet, emotional ride. This is a story of four friends who lost their loved ones to cancer yet like a ray of hope, becomes friends in the same ward. Hope, this book is a lot about that too.

Thank you Melissa Storm, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the review copy. <3
Dawn Wells
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the pre view read I received through Netgalley. Meeting new friends as adults can be hard to do for anyone. meeting on a cancer ward must be even more. However, this is so well written with humor and warmth.
Anubha (BooksFullOfLife, LifeFullOfBooks)
Read an excerpt, it was okay, I personally don't like these stories, that's another thing. ...more
Seema Rao
Nov 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Boring women boring book
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley, Kensington Books, and Melissa Storm for an excerpt from an ARC in exchange for an honest book review of The Sunday Potluck Club. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

Just to clarify, I received an excerpt only of this book and that is what this review will be based on. Four women meet in a hospital while caring for sick parents and form a friendship. They have a potluck dinner every Sunday to unwind, relax, share some lau
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
2.5*

I received an eARC of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

My first thought when starting this book was that it didnt feel like the start, it felt like so much happened between all of the characters and how much they went through and although they talked about it throughout the book I think it could have made a more emotional story about the woman and the serious issues they were going through. I get how important the message of not overcoming grief but instead learning
The Views of Heather U
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a heartfelt read. I really enjoyed it. It was sad, but when you have experienced loss, suffering, and can find yourself relating to the characters within a story you are reading, it does something to you. The manner in which it touches your soul, no words can describe what you feel, how you absorb the story. You simply FEEL it vs go thru it, if that makes sense.

I think everyone should read this story, have the book in your arsenal. While there is death within the pages, I didn’t feel it wa
Gretchen
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Sunday Potluck Club is a story of friendship, love, healing, and the emotions surrounding the loss of a loved one. Amy, the main protagonist, and her three girlfriends lunch each week in support of one another after their time in the cancer ward with a parent dying from cancer. The period is a time of growth for the young women and a time for the final goodbye to their loved ones.
I received this novel through a goodreads giveaway.
Lorrie
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, net-galley
Dang it! I want to read the rest of this book NOW! The four friends are each already so interesting, I want to get to know them better. The scrapbooker had such an interesting way to help deal with the death of her mother. What about Any & the mysterious Trent who rear ended her? I want to read more.
Hristina
Aug 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
I read an excerpt of this book and it left me wanting more. I liked the humor intertwined in the text, and the friendships were amazing. It feels like the start of an engaging novel.
I look forward to the full book.
Nicole (FearYourEx)
I accidentally requested the sequel on Netgalley so I decided to check for the audiobook and fortunately was available on Scribd. I'm sure since book 2 follows a different character I would have been fine but it was nice having the background from the main character of book 2 in the first book. This was a really cute romance and I definitely enjoyed it. ...more
Jennie
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a sweet story about a group of women who met while one of their parents were undergoing chemo. Fast forward a few months, and several of the parents have died. The women form a potluck club that meets every Sunday. Amy's mother has died and Amy has gone back to teaching. A little girl in her class is quiet and is very standoffish. The story revolves around Amy, and Olivia's father. Subplot dealing with dogs and cats needing adoption from a local shelter. Not a very deep book. ...more
Dorine
That was frustrating. I thought I was invited to review the full book, but it ended up being a very long excerpt. I don't review excerpts. I never read them, even when I'm considering purchasing a book.

No rating on this one as it wasn't a full book to rate. Publishers - take note...please don't mess with a reviewer's time when we could be reviewing someone else's book in full.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Second Chance Boutique
  • True to Me (By the Sea, #1)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Let It Snow
  • The Adventure with My Blanky "Mylar"
  • Dear Edward
  • The Other Wife
  • Home Sweet Home
  • In an Instant
  • Stay
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • First Came Us
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Date Night
  • The Memory Tree
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
Melissa Storm is a New York Times and multiple USA Today bestselling author of Women’s Fiction, Inspirational Romance, and Cozy Mysteries.

Despite an intense, lifelong desire to tell stories for a living, Melissa was “too pragmatic” to choose English as a major in college. Instead, she obtained her master’s degree in Sociology & Survey Methodology—then went straight back to slinging words a year af

The Sunday Potluck Club (2 books)
  • Wednesday Walks & Wags (The Sunday Potluck Club, #2)