Start by marking “The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3)

The High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  41,818 Ratings  ·  1,335 Reviews
In the city of Imardin, where those who wield magic wield power, a young street-girl, adopted by the Magician's Guild, finds herself at the centre of a terrible plot that may destroy the entire world.
Published 2007 by Atom (first published December 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The High Lord, please sign up.
Sixten Linusson It certainly is an easy read though I wouldn't say it's written for 12 year-olds. I would rather recommend some solid YA.
Katie She plays a role in the sequel trilogy called Traitor Spy.

Alice
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who read the first two
This last book in the trilogy is the best by far. I really enjoyed it. I'd recommend reading the trilogy together and in order, which is probably something normal people would do anyway. I think while each one has a complete story arc, they form a much more complex and satisfying whole all together. Normally I advocate reading books haphazardly and maniaclly, but really, these could be just one big long novel if people were willing to carry around a 1000 page book.

The character development acro
Kells Next Read
Actual Rating 4.5

I just could not stop read this one until it was finished. I was like this from start to finish:
 photo reading pic_zps4movsga8.gif

So much has happen and I can't even write anything remotely coherent. I ned time to process this then I'll come back and try to give a proper review.
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, fantasy
It wasn't that complicated a plot, or that original a premise -- to be honest, much of the setting reminded me of Raymond E. Feist's Krondor mixed with his magicians on Kelewan. Regardless, I enjoyed reading the books and read them very quickly: one a day, just about. They're light, easy reads, in my opinion. If you're looking for something long and epic, look somewhere else, but if you want something to take up a boring weekend or something, I think these books would do it nicely.

The action its
Abigail
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was so very, very disapointed with this ending, it was geniunely abismal, and I loved the second book, I though it was down to earth and just about right. This, this piece of poorly plotted abomination ruined it, it's almost as if when she was writing it Canavan just thought; "Actually, do you know what? Screw all the plot and tension. I've decided to write the ending to a very bad piece fan fiction and then stick it on the end of the book!"

Not to mention that she kills of a character she forc
Kai
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I started this series years and years ago. About two years ago I bought the whole series so I could finally finish it. I fell in love with this world again. But, to be honest, my biggest motivation was the gay couple that I shipped without end.
However, when I picked this book up back then it didn't really grip me and I lost interest in it around the 150 page mark. I'm not really sure what made me decide to pick this up again last week but I just really wanted to finish this series. It was about
Bern
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I cannot even with the horrid heap of crap that this was.

First of all, a bunch of people died for no reason. Then, a bunch of storylines were left untied.

And the absolute worst of all, for which Trudi Canavan should get repeatedly hit in the back of the neck with a book by Professor Snape, is that of all the couples she wrote that were constantly having sex and making out and talking about how much they loved each other, the gay one was the only one who didn't.

Yes, you heard me right. Gay men do
Selene
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alison Beechner
Jan 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-like
I enjoyed these books up until the end which ruined the whole thing for me.
 Abril Sol
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well... I finished this book a few hours ago and I still have no words. This book was a ride. I LOVED the beginning, I was so immersed in the story. I loved it to pieces. But the ending. WHY?! I hate those endings, I mean, there was no need. Everything was so great already. Why!!!??? But, well, it was a great book. I have to say, although, that I am now a little bit hesitant to pick Trudi Canavan's other trilogy.
Majo
Category Is: Book Review Realness!
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans,people who liked The Mage's Guild
Recommended to Category Is: Book Review Realness! by: Bat-girl!

WHO THOUGHT THIS BOOK WAS OKAY?

All right,fine...review coming.

The High Lord is the last book of The Black Magician series. It's also,notably,the best book of the series.

The first and second books of The Black Magician series had some problems,and they pretty much didn't exist in this last book. The characters where engaging. The plotline was full of darkness and action-packed. The plot was well defined.

Sonea was undergoing some seriously confidence problems in The Novice. But in this book,she'
Richard
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-fantasy
5.5/10

This was no worse than the previous two books and did actually have some things going on it as apposed to the previous two novels in this series but I still didn't care for it overall. I resorted to skimming to finish the book as I wasn't invested in the characters at all and whilst there were a few things to be cleared up I didn't care how they would be resolved.

If the series had cut out large portions of the first book, the whole of the second book and just used some of the plot devices
Melanti
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
I really disliked the dramatic shift in Akkarin's character that took place in this book. It seemed inconsistent with the previous book. Granted, a lot of the shift in character stems from previously unknown information being revealed, but it still felt illogical. Maybe I would have accepted it more easily if there had been a little more foreshadowing and ambiguity in previous novels or if there was a bit more ambiguity in this one, but Sonea and Loreln especially seemed too willing to forgive a ...more
Alice Bridgwater
I am moderately satisfied with the series, though not with the first book. What I think about each of the three books: 1) "The Guild": almost half of the book is spent relating the tentatives of Sonea, supported by a friend and the Thieves, to conceal herself from the Guild magicians: I think it is a waste of time and energy, because every reader undestands since a few pages that she's going to be captured and instructed from the Guild (it is impossible not to undestand it: the story is related ...more
Salva
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed at the end of the book. I can't say I was fond of High Lord but it ended in the worst possible way. My heart was shattered to pieces as well. It's because there were so many things that shouldn't have happened and so many that should. Authors will strickes again. When I read the story it should have a life on it's own. This one didn't. I enjoyed the whole trilogy greatly, I read the whole thing in three days and at the end I just couldn't believe... It didn't make any sense to ...more
Rhapsody
May 21, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
It's been quite some time since I read this one. To be honest, the ending simply ruined it for me. Otherwise, it would have gotten 2 stars at least, but I never really connected even with the "good" parts, and then it whammed me with a mega-depressing finale. Because the rest of it was so blah, I was counting on a grand finish to pull it through and make it worthwhile, so that ending really, really let me down. I also was just not interested in the plots going on parallel to Sonea's, in particul ...more
imts
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to imts by: hannah
"So, Hem, tell me why I shouldn't see how many holes I need to make before you start leaking money?"

The part I was eagerly waiting to read (but also dreading, because, well, things happen) turned out to be barely a page long, with not enough detail? That's not how I remembered it. It was over way too fast.

On the other hand, I love the characters in this series.
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

It has been a year since the challenge and Sonea has earned the respect of her fellow novices, but is still being held captive by the High Lord, but as she learns more about Akkarin, she has to figure out if he is telling the truth or manipulating her. Meanwhile Dannyl and Tayend are happy together and have a mission to stop a group of rogue magicians, and Cery is now a Thief and is tracking down some serial killers
Natalia Belchi
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un final de trilogía impactante, emocionante pero sobre todo imprevisto. Nadie diría al final del Gremio de los Magos que la historia de Sonea iba a acabar de esta manera. De esta manera genial. La verdad es que es uno de los finales que más me ha gustado y es que esta saga no ha hecho más que ir en ascenso, desde el primer libro hasta el último. Merece la pena darle una oportunidad.
Linda Bakker-Zwakhals
It was the perfect ending to this series. The frist book was a little slow, but this one had enough twists and new situations to be good paced.

Some characters developed immensly and my opinion constantly shifted. And I am always a fan when not all characters survive, dark as that may be.
Andrea
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That ending was so unsatisfying for me 😭
CalypK
3.5
Terminado de leer 09/02/2014 (tarde >_<)

Autora-troll

YO> I-I k-knowwww T___T

La experiencia de esta lectura se resume en dos cuestiones, la primera, lo que ya venía diciendo: tres libros para esta historia eran absolutamente innecesarios, los dos primeros bien podrían reducirse a una primera parte de un solo libro y lo que resta para esta última entrega.

La otra cuestión…

description

¡¿Qué carajos fue ese final?! ¿Es que a la autora le entró el demonio George R R Martin al cuerpo? ¿Escribía un trib
Amelie
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reihen-beendet
Stand: 2010

Ich fand das Buch genauso gut wie den ersten und den zweiten Teil. Nicht schlechter, aber auch nicht (wie ich eigentlich gedacht hätte) besser. Wie schon im ersten und im zweiten Band zieht sich der Anfang sehr und ab der Mitte geht es dann erst so richtig los. Meiner Meinung nach hätte man viele Szenen einfach weglassen sollen. Fertig. So ist das, hart aber wahr. Ich habe ja absolut nichts gegen lange Bücher, aber, wenn sie einfach nur lang sind um... naja, lang zu sein, ist das wirk
Kimberment
Dhuaine
Apr 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Yay for dragging the plot like molasses in retarded directions before introducing the Great Danger in the last 1/6 of the allotted space! We learn about the impending doom only in this book and it takes half of it to actually get to the point. The climax, admittedly, consists of more than three pages, but it's very... small? The scale of the event is striking; if you count the persons fighting, it would look live a tavern brawl.

There are some plot devices here that made me consider giving this
Allison
This book is one of my all-time favorites, and that's in spite of (view spoiler) ...more
Lili  Marcus
RATING:

4-5stars-2.png

cameff_1501853463406.png

Ever since Sonea became Akkarin’s novice, somehow her life in the Guild gets a littler better, if only she can forget what she witnessed in the High Lord’s underground room. But things get dramatically changed when while living with the High Lord, she witnessed more and more of Akkarin’s activities. Until Akkarin was left no choice but to tell her everything and teach her what he knows.

..including Black Magic.

Sonea, getting closer to Akkarin everyday, is suddenly amidst a much greater con
 ☆Ruth☆
It's a long time since I read a good-sized book straight through in less than 24 hours! The fact that this book falls into that category was quite a surprise, I hadn't expected it to be so deeply engaging. The first two books were good but in my opinion this is the best of the trilogy.
There is nothing particularly original or stupendous about the story, which is why it reaches only a 4-star rating but for sheer enjoyment and readability I cannot fault it and find myself sorry to be leaving thes
Fantasy Book Club...: * The HIgh Lord-Black Magician #3--First impressions, planning to read? 5 34 Oct 17, 2014 07:07PM
All About Fantasy!: The High Lord 32 26 Jan 30, 2014 11:08AM
Goodreads Librari...: pages... 6 57 Dec 25, 2012 03:04PM
  • Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons, #2)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • Wit'ch Star (The Banned and the Banished, #5)
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T
More about Trudi Canavan

The Black Magician Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1)
  • The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)
“So what were you [Sonea] and Dorrien discussing before?' Akkarin asked.
She turned to regard him. 'Discussing?'
'Outside the farmhouse when I was buying the food.'
'Oh. Then. Nothing.'
He smiled and nodded. 'Nothing. Amazing subject, that one. Produces such fascinating reactions in people.”
242 likes
“Akkarin: I watched the first woman I loved die. I dont think I can survive losing the second.
Sonea: I love you too.”