Start by marking “The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)

The Night Caller

(Detective Carrie Flynn #1)

Detective Carrie Flynn has spent twenty years searching for her little sister, who was kidnapped and never found. The worst part for Carrie is that she was with Hattie on that hot summer day. Carrie saw her sister’s abductor, but she was just a little girl herself, and remembers nothing. She will never forgive herself for letting Hattie down.

When the chance came to join th
Published August 15th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Night Caller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Caller

Louise Wilson
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Carrie Flynn #1

There's a serial killer in Manchester who is pushing unwitting males into the canal. So far, there have been twelve deaths over the last six years. DS Carrie Flynn and DC Paul Harper are now investigating. Then Emma's son, Jordan goes missing. Is he the latest victim? Carrie has personal demons.

This story was not what I expected it to be. I thought it was going to be based around the serial killer but it was more about Emma and her next door neighbour, Jade. Both women a
Linda Strong
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rating upgraded to 4.0 because of the unpredictable ending

He's known as The Pusher. He's taken a dozen victims over the course of six years. He's left nary a clue, no DNA, he's like a ghost, a whisper in the wind.

Detective Carrie Flynn has not given up looking for this killer. But something has changed. The victims lifestyles were targeted for awhile, now it looks like anyone who was considered a 'bad boy' are being killed.

There's another missing person .. a 19-year-old teenager. He was see
Kat Dietrich

The Night Caller by J.M. Hewitt is the first in the Detective Carrie Flynn series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background:

DS Carrie Flynn lost her sister when she was a child.  Hattie was abducted, and never found.  Their mother has spent the last two decades in a nursing home, not speaking, not really there.  Carrie spent that tim
Athena Elizabeth
Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for the early read of The Night Caller in exchange for an honest review!

The book has a good premise: A detective sergeant with her own troubled past has to solve the case of a serial killer in Manchester. He or she pushes people into the canals, and has hit about 12 victims over the course of a few years.

So....I think my main issue is with Carrie Flynn herself. IF she is supposed to be the main character in the series, I would have needed a lot more backgro
Shalini
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A police procedural to begin with, the story soon led me down the twists of a thriller. The first in the series where Detective Carrie Flynn was at the helm of the investigation.

The Pusher, a killer who pushed his victims into the canal, was plaguing the land, and it was up to Carrie to find him before the body count rose up. This case started with finding Jordan's scarf near the canal, and the Pusher was thought to be at play.

A debut by J. M. Hewitt where after the initial few pages, I got migh
Monica Mac
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have just finished this book, and my body is still very tense -I wonder how long that tension will stay there? This was certainly a psychological thriller and my heart was in my mouth, more than once.

Emma's son Jordan goes missing - but Jordan is an enigma and it is up to Carrie and Paul to figure out what the story is with him and who is responsible for the murders of a dozen people, all pushed into the canals of Manchester.

Now, I have never been to Manchester, but I can imagine when it is d
peggy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new author for me and a dark psychological thriller. I am in reading heaven. The first in the Detective Carrie Flynn series. The book is centred around the Pusher, someone is going around and pushing people into the canals of Manchester. At first I thought that this would be a bit mediocre but then I was hooked. Emma's son Jordan goes missing and people heard a splash, there is no sign of a body. Why is Emma not forthcoming with information about her son ? What is she hiding? In the meantime C ...more
Els
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like twisted minds and police procedurals, then this is a book for you because it has both elements.

But of course there is more. Hidden secrets, a mother’s heartbroken story, a killer doing what he wants without leaving a trace, a murder that fits the pattern but not quite.

Normally when a new series starts, we get some background information about the main charcter. Here the author keeps everything very hidden and makes us long for more. I guess she reserves these juicy bits for the next
Gemima
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of The Night Caller from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this book! It's so much more than a detective crime thriller.

This story is about relationships. It's about hidden feelings and desires. It's about overcoming frustrations, dark and negative thoughts.

You know those hidden feelings and emotions that we all have? Those secret and deep thoughts? Thoughts and feelings that may be taboo, shameful, outrageous? This story is about all those fe
Elaine Tomasso
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Night Caller, the first novel to feature DS Carrie Flynn of the Manchester police.

There is a serial killer in Manchester and DS Carrie Flynn is on the case. Known as The Pusher for his M.O. of pushing his victims into the canal Carrie caught a glimpse of him and his distinctive tattoo the previous summer so when Jordan Robinson’s scarf is found by the canal and a splash is heard he is assumed to be the latest victim. This
Toya
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the town of Manchester, a serial killer who is referred to as The Pusher remains at large. The Pusher is so affectionately named this since this person pushes its victims to their death into the canal. Over the last six years, The Pusher has claimed at least a dozen victims without leaving a trace of evidence to confirm his or her identity.

Detective Carrie Flynn has been assigned to the case, and she refuses to give up. One thing becomes evident is that the killer’s motives have changed. Prev
Julie Lacey
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first in what I hope will be a new series.
It’s a bit of a different crime thriller as the main focus is on the family and friends of the missing person, and there’s not much about the Detectives investigating the case.
Carrie and Paul seem to be secondary to the storyline, even though they’re investigating the missing person case.
I was hooked by the story though and whilst I’d worked out part of it, it didn’t spoil it for me.
Emma is distraught when her son goes missing and her clos
Andrea Pole
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Night Caller by J.M. Hewitt is the first of a series focused on Detective Carrie Flynn, and is a promising start. Detective Flynn has an intriguing backstory that I am anxious to delve into much more in the future.

There is a serial killer at large in Manchester, dubbed 'The Pusher' as his or her modus operandi is shoving victims into a canal. The narrative focuses largely on one potential victim, Jordan, and his mother, Emma, as well as friend and neighbour, Jade. The case is rife with twist
Angie F
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a strange but enjoyable book. If someone were to ask me what genre it fits into I'd probably say it's one part police procedural and two parts psychological thriller. I thought the characters were very realistic and I swung between being horrified by the killer and feeling sorry for him. I thought the ending was particularly good, exactly how I thought it should end. Personally I would have liked to see a lot more of the police especially as it is clear that Carrie has a tragic history w ...more
Stina
The first in a new series, THE NIGHT CALLER is a debut thriller by J.M. Hewitt featuring DS Carrie Flynn. The synopsis for the book is a little misleading, however, as it refers to the disappearance of Carrie's own sister some twenty years prior which, while giving the impression that it was to feature heavily, was merely only highlighted as a part of Carrie's backstory. It did, though, offer some promise of a future revisit to the her sister's case in the closing pages.

I was quite excited to be
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
WOW! What a read and a brilliant start to a new series. This is a chilling book which still gives me goosebumps when I think about it. There aren’t too many books that are still ingrained in my memory long after I have finished them, but this one I think it is going to stay with me for a long time to come. It is a story that is thrilling, full of mystery, crime and suspense, as well as shocking revelations. What more could you want!

For six years, a serial killer has been on the loose reigning te
Pat
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Night Caller is a tense, dark and menacing novel set against the backdrop of Manchester and its canals.
A serial killer, known as The Pusher is still at large but after many years of hunting him and several bodies later, the police seem no nearer to catching him.

Detective Sergeant Carrie Flynn is on the case and with her partner D.C. Paul Harper they are in a race against time to find the person responsible before another victim suffers the same fate.

Flows well, great storyline and a good mi
Judy Odom
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Night Caller is the first book in a new series that involves Detective Carrie Flynn

What a good and promising start to the series !!

The Night Caller is not for the faint of the heart , its dark but oh so good !!

There are hints into Carrie's dark past and I cant wait to find out what that entails.

Carrie and her partner Paul are determined to solve the case of The Pusher that has been pushing men into canals to murder them. The description of the canals is so well done you feel you are right t
Debra Dowling
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good psychological thriller.
There is a serial killer on the loose, targeting gay men in the area. The police are trying to cover up this fact, not wanting people to panic. Detective Carrie Flynn, however, does not agree. She studies this case and examines every piece of evidence, confident the killer can be stopped. She notices the pattern the killer follows has suddenly changed, the target moving away from gay men to criminals.
Meanwhile, a young man, Jordan, leaves home to go to the bars with
Jill Burgin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Flynn became a detective after her own sister was kidnapped, and never found, and twenty years later is still helping other families deal with the grief and loss of a loved one. So, now she is tracking a nasty serial killer and the latest victims family is different, not helping Carrie with info she needs - what are they hiding? Told from different perspectives this is more of a psychological character study than a police procedural. Some of the twists are forseen but the big one at the e ...more
Patricia Harris
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A serial killer, known as The Pusher, pushes seemingly bad or gay men into the canal. DS Carrie Flynn and partner Paul are out to catch him.
Jordan, son of Emma goes missing, has he been pushed by The Pusher? A normal teenager, who seems to have his secrets, but it seems like all the characters in this book have secrets. A story full of lies and secrets and strong emotions.
Took me a little to get into this story and I was disappointed that It did not showcase Carrie Flynn as much as O thought i
Tracy Wood
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Canals can be beautiful places, a reminder of commerce and transport from another age; many resurrected as tourist attractions with museums, pubs, and restaurants nearby. Others though are cold, dark, and scary; not somewhere to visit voluntarily. It is a combination of the two that star in this atmospheric novel about a serial killer who uses the canals as his weapon of choice.

When Emma's son, Jordan, disappears after a splash is heard she knows he has become the next victim of a man known loc
Kay
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for the chance to read this first book in the series featuring Carrie Flynn. The story is set in Manchester namely around the canals and the hunt is on for a serial killer known as The Pusher. I was totally gripped by this story and liked the way it went into the past to explain and inform you as to what had happened and why. I thought it was totally descriptive and drew you into the scenes, at times feeling as if you were actually there.
A brilliant start to
Aleana Harris
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC copy of this book from the Publisher via Netgalley and voluntarily leaving my review.

Ok this was a strange but enjoyable read.

I find myself feeling sorry for the killer and then horrified by him in the next and that saying something because I read a lot of mystery thrillers.
I like the character of Carrie but struggle to connect with her at times I hope in the next book we get more about her cause it's seem she has a tragic history. I like how the story unfold and the ending h
Amanda
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love discovering new authors and J. M. Hewitt is certainly an author, whose work I have never read before. That said, I have heard lots of good things about her work from respected crime fiction bloggers, so I instinctively knew that I was going to really enjoy 'The Night Caller'. I was to be proved right. I really enjoyed reading 'The Night Caller' but more about that in a bit.
I couldn't help but take to the character of Detective Carrie Flynn from the first time I met her. She is a dedicated
Crystal
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Detective Carrie Flynn has spent twenty years searching for her little sister, who was kidnapped and never found. Carrie was with Hattie on that hot summer day – she saw her sister’s abductor, but she was just a young girl herself, and remembers nothing. She’s never forgiven herself for letting Hattie down.
When the chance came to join the police force, Carrie didn’t hesitate, wanting to ensure that no more little girls grew up alone. Now she is facing her toughest case yet: Jordan Robinson, a q
Crystal
Denise
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although identified as a crime thriller, this is so much more than that. This narrative speaks of bonds, whether familial or otherwise, and the connections between people that allow for secrets even kept from ourselves.

What it's about: There is a serial killer afoot in Manchester. He (or she) pushes unwitting males into the canal. There have been 12 such deaths over the last six years. DS Carrie Flynn and her partner, DC Paul Harper, have the notion that the original "Pusher" has been replaced b
Billie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the chance came to join the police force, Carrie didn’t hesitate. She would solve missing person cases and fight for justice – no more families stuck i
Chris
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Carrie Flynn has tracked the Pusher for six years— a serial killer who tosses immobilized victims into Manchester’s canals. Careful and inconspicuous, the Pusher has always avoided attention until Carrie catches sight of him near the water while investigating another drowning. All she can make out is a unique tattoo on his arm, but it might be enough. However, after yet another death, she slips into a tangled web of lies and secrets all centered on a victim with a hidden life that migh ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Silver Prize in the author v author competition 2008 (supported by the National Literary Trust)

Shortlisted for the Inspire and Mentor Campaign – selected by Jojo Moyes 2012