Start by marking “The Last Cabin: EMP Survival in a Powerless World” as Want to Read:
The Last Cabin: EMP Survival in a Powerless World

The Last Cabin: EMP Survival in a Powerless World

A cabin on the outskirts of a city becomes the sanctuary for a mother and her two children during the unfolding crisis of an EMP.

Life has hardened Joanna Mercer, and she has spent the past four years since her husband's death preparing herself against the uncertainties of life. After an EMP destroys the nation's power grid, every ounce of that strength will be tested.
Published May 27th 2019

Susan C. O'Neal
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prepped and ready!

As a Pepper myself, but coming from a farming family that always stayed ready, I found this book to be spot on. To express concerns about not being ready for WTSHTF one only has to look at the tragedy in New Orleans after
the hurricane. The book reveals how one mother decided to save her family from any tragedy. Becoming self sufficient is not expressed enough in our society on a daily basis. This book lays out a mother's choice for dwelling, providing and protecting her childre
Cherye Elliott
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Last Cabin

The premise of the book is great. The characters are quasi believable....But seriously, can one woman save the town alone? She isn't Rambo.

Would I recommend this r? Yes. It is interesting. Mom has definitely gone off the grid and deserves a tin foil hat award.

Problems: Mom lives in a rural mountain town not far from Knoxville, Tennessee. To drive to approximately where she lives to the UTK campus, and this is in a car would be 90 minutes. How does she get there and back in hours o
Billie
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I found this to be an excellent well written novel.
I feel the characters and the story line worked extremely well together.
Others
Mary
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, rereads
Jo and her two daughters are threatened by the terrorists responsible for the EMP attack across the country. Fortunately Jo has learned how to survive "off the grid" in the years since her husband died. Her relationship with her oldest daughter is strained and this tension has an impact on their potential survival. This is a good story; however, there is frequent use of the f-word and other curse words, as well as, profane words. The author's descriptions of the dead and dying are gritty and viv ...more
Mary Worth
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: no one
Jeanne Lambrianou
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strong female characters

Jo is the most obvious, her daughters next obvious, but not to be downplayed were Jan the lady cop and Mags the shop owner.

Interesting twist, to have Jo's prepper cabin and most of its supplies made unavailable to her. Very like real life - the battle plan falls apart as the first bullet is fired.

I'd like to think we (as Americans) could pull together and fight during such a crisis. Most "end of the world" scenarios show us falling apart and killing each other over canne
Dan
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story and loved the heroine who presented a strong female character though with vulnerabilities. I also liked the fact it was about EMP survival, which could occur from a so!ar flash or a man-made detonation.
I would have liked to know more about how the EMP occurred in this book and about the backstory how terrorists were able to infiltrate at the level they were depicted by the author. Some of which detracted from the overall plot. Overall though an action-packed tale.
Dan Mariani
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Page Turner

I would have liked to know more about how the EMP is occurred in this book and about the backstory how terrorists were able to infiltrate at the level they were depicted by the author. Some of which detracted from the overall plot. Overall though an action-packed t
Elaine Juska Joseph
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was a lot about this story that kept me riveted to it. The main character, Jo, was very believable, and I could relate to her. The concept of this kind of terrorist attack is very plausible. I would have liked to have seen more catchier development, however, especially of the enemy. The way the enemy was described was very cliche. I would like to know more about the main characters, including the terrorist leader, and would have liked to be able to sympathize with them on some level, to ma ...more
Brenda Backus
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cabin

My granddad fatherhood their cabin in the hills of Louisa,Kentucky in Twin BRANCH HOLLER. THIS STORY brought it back in force to me. All good American s that would fight This book has all that and the excitement of real action.The author has brought it all together to tell the story of a real life that could be and a truth that could happen.Mr.Hunt U can say bravo to you as a writer you created what seemed like a real family O love and didn't want it to end. You want to read a great story?
Santa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Could an EMP really deem us powerless?! If it happens we are all going to suffer. Some of the scenes in this book were a little far-fetched, in my opinion, but at the same time it really got me thinking. What's to stop terrorist from coming to town and killing everyone? I hope our intelligence agencies would never let it get this bad, but could it really happen? This book really made me think about how unprepared I would be in a crisis. Makes me want to go out and buy bottled water and non-peris ...more
Robert L. Derrera
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Solidly satisfying read.

Was a bit cautious that this book would be just another apocalypse tale. The author interspersed enough interpersonal stress between the main characters to keep me reading till the end. The author didn't fully draw out how the invading force got such a foothold in this country. This is a vast geography to invade and that part stretched credulity for me. Nonetheless a enjoyable afternoon's reading.
Sharon
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has done it again, written a down to earth, interesting ploy. Set in dystopian future we meet a mother who is fighting for not only her survival but that of her two children in this dangerous new world. The dialogue between the characters is interesting and believable as are the dangers that could occur in a situation such as this. This is a great read for anyone who enjoys this genre.
Scarolet Ellis
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Last Cabin by James Hunt is a story that I have read and it made me go WOW!!!!. I absolutely loved reading this story very much cause there are not many books that make my mind say WOW!!!! very often but this one definately did. I hihgly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about horror and thrillers in their stories like me.

Linda
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Cabin and the little family (NO spoilers)

Intense story of the apocalypse. A true capable female lead character.
An EMP ostensibly brings the US to it’s knees. A middle-eastern-driven invasion is directed at The Village in Tennessee, the setting of The Cabin.
A widow and her two daughters are the focus of the story.
A few dozen grammatical editing errors detracted from the story but I kept the 5-star rating regardless.
Jackie
To say this was an eye opening look at how ill prepared we would be if an EMP was ever deployed and a war by foreign terrorists was ever engaged within the boundaries of the US is actually a truth.

To say that this same scenario would work out in the manner portrayed however stretches my belief in our true ability to ably overcome such forces.

While things stand a good chance of working out positively they also stand a good chance of not doing so.

My hope is we never have to find out!
Pat Eroh
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written book of the time following an EMP. This book contains great characters - people who try to survive in their own ways. Easy to judge when we have plenty to eat. Excellent story - I highly recommend this.

patricia a lamp
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this novel very much!

I have read several of these EMP stories and I have enjoyed this story the best. I liked the setting better as it took place in the mountaineering stead of a large city. It got the story set up without spending a lot of time explaining what emp was. It held my interest and moved the story along at a good pace.
MAGNOLIA EPA,
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
William Darrell

The book needed proof reading before being published. So many grammatical errors throughout that it became monotonous. Factual errors also such as bumble bees producing honey for human consumption? I think that would be honey bees. Have someone read the book before printing!
Sherlyn K. Anderson
Wonderfully written! Very interesting and a new plot storyline for me, the first!

WOW!! WHAT AN ENDING!! WOW!!!
People in the restaurant were asking if I was alright, after seeing my reaction to this book at that point, from huge air gasping intake with a sound, to "are you having a heart attack" , and to even tears! It really is an amazing story!
Mary Payne
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book!

Fast paced action. The EMP is only the backdrop to this story, not the focus, which is a gutsy woman whose sole raison d’etre is to protect her two daughters against an invasion of terrorist fighters. Read it in one fell swoop and recommended it to my husband as his next read.
Susan
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A complete story in one book!

With all the illegal immigration at the southern border it is very timely to write about hidden terror cells. We really have no idea who is here. One loose end was Randy. Never did know what became of him. Altogether it was an entertaining way to spend a few hours. I enjoy all the stories by James Hunt.
marilyn coffey
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jo went into the forest

She had to get away from the life she had before her husband had died. She took her daughters with her. They learned to live off of the land. The oldest daughter hated it. She left for college never to return. Then the war started. No had to go get her daughter. Family was always first.
Glynda
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling on the edge of your seat read from start to finish

Wow, I do not usually read EMP type books but I was drawn in by the description of a strong woman protecting her family. It was not hard to feel immersed in the story right away. Having once lived in East Tennessee it was easy to picture the setting. Great thrill ride that made me realize it could happen.
Janie Schuesler
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great reading! Couldn't put it down! Was very realistic and believable! Makes you realize that things like EMP are a real threat

Great reading! Couldn't put it down!, was very realistic and believable! Makes you realize that things like EMP are a real threat!
Heather Bane
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. The author did a great job on the story and characters. I was hooked from beginning to end. I recommend reading.

billy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Profanity

This story wasn't very plausible. I couldn't understand why people wouldn't pick up the dead terrorists find and fight back. I only made it a few chapters when the profanity started. Mr. Aunt's vocabulary failed him and me. Couldn't finish the book.
Vera Sokolow
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Draws you in

What is going to happen next..... A good read with only a few hiccups easily dismissed because the rest of the story is solid. Realistic characters and well thought out plot twists. Well done!
Kathy Faulds
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just WOW!!

This book kept me on my toes from the very beginning. Strong female in the face of extreme adversity and what she and her community overcome is a powerful point to remember.
cheryl witt
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Realistic

Nice to read a book without sequels. Keep me wondering how they would win. Found it easy to read but some little things didn't gel for me but it took nothing away from the story. Enjoyed it
« previous 1 3 next »
James Hunt's passion for writing began at an early age. While his journal of yesteryear may never be the work of great fiction, he's been working hard every day since then to bring pages to life. James has well over a decade of writing under his belt, but his professional career in literature didn't take off until 2014.

James currently lives in Orlando, FL and when he's not pounding away at the ke