Start by marking “Where We Land (The Cuba Press Novella Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where We Land (The Cuba Press Novella Series, #1)

Where We Land (The Cuba Press Novella Series, #1)

A New Zealand Navy frigate torpedoes a boat full of refugees fleeing a drowning country and Nasimul Rahman is one of the few survivors. First he has to reach the shore alive and then he has to avoid the trigger-happy Shore Patrol, on alert to stop climate change refugees entering the country.

Donna is new to the Patrol. When word comes through that the Navy has sunk a ship
Published July 2019 by The Cuba Press (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Where We Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where We Land

Start your review of Where We Land (The Cuba Press Novella Series, #1)
Tabatha Wood
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published in 2015 under the title ‘Landfall’, cli-fi novella ‘Where We Land’ by Tim Jones is quick to read but slow to leave you.

Focusing on two very different characters — Bengali refugee Nasimul Rahman and young New Zealander Donna, a shop assistant and volunteer for the Shore Patrol — ‘Where We Land’ is set in a time quite possibly not too far ahead of us. Jones describes a future where climate change has seen sea levels rise and cause destruction on a massive scale, including wor
Barbara Howe
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone concerned about humanity's future
This novella set in the near future deals with the human impact of the worsening climate crisis. With crops ruined and river deltas drowned, refugees are streaming out of Asia in unseaworthy boats, only to be turned away or sunk by their overwhelmed neighbours’ navies. The story alternates between the viewpoint of a single survivor of a Bangladeshi ferry headed for New Zealand and a member of a local militia patrolling the shores to repel people like him. Amid societal brutality and xenophobia, ...more
Kay
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nz-cli-fi
A human centred but politically very relevant near future story. I felt for the characters and worried about the very real possibility this story presents our future.
Lulu
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written novella in the cli-fi genre, set in the frighteningly not-too-distant future in a world in the grips of climate disruption and climate refugees. The characters are compelling and the story gripping. Highly recommend it!!
Chinaminder
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poignant and thought-provoking, this timely and topical book is an engrossing read, which can be perused in a single sitting, yet the disturbing (and slightly hopeful) realities and messages of the narrative linger long after you’ve put down the 63-page novella.

Originally published in 2015 as ‘Landfall’, ‘Where We Land’ is a well-crafted piece of ‘cli-fi’ (new genre climate fiction) that draws the reader into a New Zealand of the near future, where rising sea levels inundating coastal areas and
Nicola Easthope
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Electrifying and visceral novella, portraying a harrowing vision of climate crisis victims, handled violently by austere and bigoted authorities, who scour the coasts for any sign of refugee survivors. Once again, it is those that have least to lose who offer the most kindness. I hope one day this book becomes a novel.
Sonja Antonsen
Mar 30, 2020
Tom Cardy
Feb 03, 2020
Tim
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Deborah Lucas
Matt Arnold
Aug 22, 2020
Ulysse
Sep 01, 2020

• The Prince of Secrets (Stariel #2)
  • The Absolute Book
  • The Locksmith (Reforging, #1)
  • We All Fall
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Blacksmith
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #2)
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • The Stone Wētā
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • Lovecraft Country
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • The Dawnhounds (Against the Quiet, #1)
  • Would She Be Gone (Censored City, #1)
  • Into the Ashes (A Taine McKenna Adventure #3)
  • The Hidden Girl and Other Stories
I'm an author from New Zealand who writes science fiction, literary fiction, and poetry. I won the New Zealand Society of Authors Janet Frame Memorial Award for Literature in 2010.

Here's how you can buy my books, and some recent anthologies with my work in them:

Books

Where We Land is my climate fiction (cli-fi) novella from The Cuba Press, published in July 2019. An earlier version of this novella,

News & Interviews