Start by marking “Where We Land (The Cuba Press Novella Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where We Land (The Cuba Press Novella Series, #1)

Where We Land (The Cuba Press Novella Series, #1)

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
A New Zealand Navy frigate torpedoes a boat full of refugees fleeing a drowning country and Nasimul Rahman is one of the few survivors. First he has to reach the shore alive and then he has to avoid the trigger-happy Shore Patrol, on alert to stop climate change refugees entering the country.

Donna is new to the Patrol. When word comes through that the Navy has sunk a ship
Published July 2019 by The Cuba Press (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Where We Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where We Land

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Tabatha Wood
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published in 2015 under the title ‘Landfall’, cli-fi novella ‘Where We Land’ by Tim Jones is quick to read but slow to leave you.

Focusing on two very different characters — Bengali refugee Nasimul Rahman and young New Zealander Donna, a shop assistant and volunteer for the Shore Patrol — ‘Where We Land’ is set in a time quite possibly not too far ahead of us. Jones describes a future where climate change has seen sea levels rise and cause destruction on a massive scale, including wor
Barbara Howe
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone concerned about humanity's future
This novella set in the near future deals with the human impact of the worsening climate crisis. With crops ruined and river deltas drowned, refugees are streaming out of Asia in unseaworthy boats, only to be turned away or sunk by their overwhelmed neighbours’ navies. The story alternates between the viewpoint of a single survivor of a Bangladeshi ferry headed for New Zealand and a member of a local militia patrolling the shores to repel people like him. Amid societal brutality and xenophobia, ...more
Lulu
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written novella in the cli-fi genre, set in the frighteningly not-too-distant future in a world in the grips of climate disruption and climate refugees. The characters are compelling and the story gripping. Highly recommend it!!
Tim
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Deborah Lucas
Jul 29, 2019
Andi C Buchanan
marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2019
I'm an author from New Zealand who writes science fiction, literary fiction, and poetry. I won the New Zealand Society of Authors Janet Frame Memorial Award for Literature in 2010.

Here's how you can buy my books, and some recent anthologies with my work in them:

Books

Landfall is my new novella from Paper Road Press, published in August 2015. You can buy Landfall from Amazon.com as a Kindle ebook.

My