Start by marking “One Year Later” as Want to Read:
One Year Later

One Year Later

Since Amy's daughter, Ruby-May, died in a terrible accident, her family have been beset by grief. One year later, the family decide to go on holiday to mend their wounds. An idyllic island in Italy seems the perfect place for them to heal and repair their relationships with one another. But no sooner have they arrived than they discover nothing on this remote island is ...more
Published June 1st 2020 by Corvus

To ask other readers questions about One Year Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Year Later

Start your review of One Year Later
Amanda
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having read The Stolen Child which I loved, I was over the moon to get this book and desperate to start reading ASAP.

Amy and Matt tragically lost their three year old daughter Ruby in an accident a year ago. The whole family are struggling to cope and decide to all go to Italy for a holiday when it is the one year anniversary of her death.

The story is told from Nick and Amys prospective, you soon realise that this family is keeping secrets from each other.

A gripping psychological thriller that
Pauline
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Amy's daughter died in an accident the day before her third birthday.
One year later the family decide to go to Italy on holiday together to try and get over this terrible tragedy.
Things don't go to plan and Amy starts to believe that not everyone is telling the truth of what actually happened on the day her daughter died.
Thank you to NetGalley and Atlantic Books for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Alayne Emmett
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a exciting book to read from start to finish. It had me gripped all the way through. At times I was thinking one person was guilty then I changed it to someone else but, at the very end of the book I discovered I was completely wrong.
I was so impressed with this author that I got another of her books out of my local library.
I am going to look out for more of her books in future.
Ceecee
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Review nearer to publication
Bridget
"One Year Later" was a fabulous read that had me totally gripped from the start. With a fantastic plot-line and brilliant characters, this was a superb and emotionally moving thriller/mystery that kept me guessing throughout.
I loved Sanjida Kays evocative, descriptive prose, from Somerset to Italy and I could feel the heat of summer which helped to create and build the atmosphere brilliantly.

This amazing twisty tale of family, love, loyalty and heartbreak by new-to-me author Sanjida Kay should
Liz Barnsley
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
One Year Later was terrific, a thriller with strong family drama elements, an emotionally charged inciting event and a highly intriguing cast of characters.

As usual with this author it was a right old page turner, beautifully written with many layers. As we go between past and present many themes are explored love, loss, the vagaries of memory and the differing ways people view their familial ties.

Secrets are gradually revealed, grief in all its forms is palpable throughout and Sanjida Kay
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another utterly addictive read from Sanjida Kay! One Year Later combines complex family relationships and characters with an intriguing 'whodunnit' premise, to create a really enjoyable - but at times emotional - read.

I loved the sense of mystery that is woven throughout the book; one year after the accident that claimed toddler Ruby-May, Amy and her husband Matt go away on holiday with Amy's family, who themselves are an interesting bunch of people. There's a lot of clashes and fraught
Joanne Robertson
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Sanjida Kays writing and this book combines her beautifully stylish and descriptive prose with a truly compelling storyline. If you love plots involving unreliable narrators and dysfunctional families then you will adore One Year Later. Its a slow burner that builds the tension gradually until the discovery of a shocking betrayal and I was completely gripped by every single word.

There are multiple narrators telling this story from very different perspectives. Its the story of a family
Melanie’s reads
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This ticks so many boxes for me in a psychological thriller. Unreliable narrators tick, strange goings on tick, dysfunctional family tick.

The prologue really sets the scene and once youve finished the book I suggest you go back and re read it as it will make you view things differently.

Narrated by Amy and her brother Nick you get to see two different perspectives and this really makes you question everything. Varying recollections throughout make you wonder who you can trust, are any of them
Karen Whittard
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A dark and atmospheric thriller. Do you really know the ones that you live and can you really trust them completely. This is a deep and dark story about a tragic event and the outcome of what happened leading up to and after the event.
Michelle Ryles
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
I'm a little behind with my Sanjida Kay books but having absolutely loved her debut, Bone by Bone, I couldn't wait to get my hands on her new novel, One Year Later. I have to say that I literally couldn't put this book down; when I wasn't reading it, I carried it around with me as if it was superglued to my hand. It certainly made a lasting impression on me and I felt incredibly emotional as I turned the final page.

The loss of a child is always going to be highly emotional and I found this story
Lel Budge
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-cater
One Year later is a tale of family, tragedy and secrets..Amy and Matts young daughter, Ruby-May had died in a tragic accident.but who was meant to be watching her ?

On the anniversary of her death, Amy wants to get away..not to Somerset, but a holiday without constant reminders of her daughterIts decided on Italy, for the whole family, except one member.he would not be welcome.

So, they arrive and find they are in an idyllic area, in a lovely cottage near a pool and the sea..but then Nick, Amys
Clare
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One Year Later by Sanjida Kay is a psychological thriller that had my heart in my mouth from the first page. It starts with an emotive subject: the death of a child - 3 year old Ruby. The family becomes fractured, no one deals well with Rubys death, and so Nick, her uncle, convinces his sister and her husband that it would be a good idea for the whole family to celebrate or mark the anniversary of Rubys death abroad and away from the bad memories. So they all go to a small island off the coast ...more
Mani
One Year Later was an interesting psychological thriller that looks into loss, betrayal and hidden secrets. The first thing that drew me into this book was the mystery of finding out exactly what happened one year ago. The opening pages had me intrigued and could wait to get into the meat of the book.

Although well written and full of twists that will have you guessing till the end, there was still something missing which made me feel like the book didnt quite have me gripped as I thought it
Claire
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
One Year Later focuses on the Flowers family following the devastating loss of a family member, 3 year old Ruby-May.

For the anniversary of her death the family decided to go on holiday, hoping to grieve and celebrate her 4th birthday the day after the anniversary. But nothing goes quite to plan - there's family drama galore and secrets to be explored.

This is such an atmospheric book, I really felt the grief and sadness portrayed through the pages, especially from Ruby-May's mother. The
Renita D'Silva
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just wonderful
Stephanie
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emma (escapetothebookshelf)
Meh, I wanted to love this book. The plot sounds great and I had really high hopes for it, however it just completely fell short of the mark for me. Amy's daughter Ruby-May died in an accident one year ago which the family blames primarily on Ruby-May's grandfather. Around the time of the anniversary the family decide to go on holiday together to try and repair their wounds, however it's not always that simple!

I found the writing style became quite stilted around the middle of the book.
Adrian
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
THE FORTY FIVE PAGES SHORT OF THE YEAR IS ALL THATS MISSING FROM KAYS MULTI-LAYERED THRILLER.

As I was reading this months first book, I was spending a long weekend in Kerry with my husbands extended family. Nothing too sinister in the way of secrets involved, just a surprise 70th birthday celebration for his uncle. It had been planned over months and involved various relatives flying in or driving down to Kerry, caterers and, of course, a cake. All went off without a hitch, the birthday boy
Stephen Donovan
2.5 stars rounded up

On the face of it, this one had several of the components that make a good thriller. Along the way we have an interesting and isolated setting, multiple narratives, characters that you do not know whether to trust, and the occasional unexpected twist. Yet for all of that, when pieced together the end result was fairly underwhelming.

My expectations were high after enjoying Sanjida Kay's previous thrillers. They were rich in detail and had compelling plots which more often that
Jellichor
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had to have a little think about this one before I wrote this review... which isn't the norm for me - I usually have a lot to say very quickly!

The book starts off with an excerpt of an Italian man finding a young female body on the beach. Which after having read the blurb of the book feels a little disconcerting. What does this body have to do with the main story line? of a family dealing with their grief after the tragic death of almost 3 year old Ruby-May?

We join Amy (Ruby-May's mother)
Karen
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A year ago, Amy lost her daughter Ruby-May in a terrible accident. With the anniversary of her death looming, the family decide to go on holiday, away from the scene of the incident, to a place where, they hope, they can begin to heal the rifts that have happened since their loss. It soon becomes apparent, however, that all is not quite what it seems and there is at least one person hiding something that could change their perception of what exactly happened one year ago. Just exactly who caused ...more
Jo Scho
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
A year ago Amy's family was rocked to its foundations when her youngest child, Ruby-May, was tragically killed. To mark the occasion the family decide to visit a small island in Italy to attempt to move on. But when Amy's brother Nick arrives with their father, tensions rise and anger erupts. You see Amy's father was to blame for Ruby-Mae's death, even though he categorically denies he was to blame. And as the long hot days pass instead of the holiday healing old wounds it begins to rip them ...more
Scott
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from Readers First in exchange for an honest review.

This could equally be called Big little Lies, as thedstory unfolds we get more and more little lies that have snowballed into massive ones. I am amazed the guilt of those didn't affect people more.
We open with a body being found, but are given no more information on that until about two thirds of the way into the book. The narrative jumps back and forward between a brother and sister dealing with the aftermath of the
Portia
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
One year later by Sanjida Kay is a suspense thriller with a twist that will take you by surprise. The book is about the complexities of our family.

Amy and Matt Jenkins lost their youngest daughter right before her 3rd birthday.

It was an unfortunate accident which tore the family apart.

Theres an unspoken distance between them. The distance is not just between them, but also between other members of the family. Theres an unseen wall around each one of them.

Nick suggests a family trip on Ruby-
Julie Curran
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
One year after the tragic drowning of 3 year old Ruby-May,a family of 4 and various siblings decide to get away from England and spend the anniversary on a beautiful Italian island.There is a mystery element to the story too as is who was really responsible for the little girls death?I noticed there is a lot of very positive reviews for this book,so I feel a bit reticence about my less than glowing review.This is the first book of Sanjida Kay I have read and to be honest I found her style of ...more
Lisa
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A twist-filled psychological thriller about family ties and dark secrets

One Year Later is a twist-filled psychological thriller that explores themes of love, loss, secrets and grievances. The story resolves around the tragic death of Amy and Matt Flowers' three-year-old daughter, Ruby-May. The narration alternates between different time periods, locations and points of view, building tension and suspense as the plot slowly unravels. It is largely narrated from the first-person viewpoint of
Bethanie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful and haunting story. I cant imagine what it would be like to lose a child, but this book does a wonderful job of explaining what the family is going through, and how they are coping with the tragedy.

One Year Later alternates between how the family are dealing with the death of a child, and unravelling the mystery of what really happened. Amy just wants her father to admit his part, but he doesnt remember anything about that day. Sanjida Kay tells the struggle of reconciling
Pauline
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Not for me

One Year Later is about a family tragedy, the loss of a young daughter, Ruby-May, one day short of her third birthday. It is told from two perspectives throughout the book, her Mum Amy's and her Uncle Nick's. Nick takes his family to an idyllic Island in Italy in the hope that he can put his family back together again, to make them a family unit once more, if at all possible. During this time various events happen, which leads them questioning each other on past events. There are
Rachael Haley
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book from the start!

Each chapter is written from the perspective of one of two characters: Amy, a wife and mother whose youngest daughter tragically died the previous year and Nick, Amy's brother.

The story begins in the UK but most of the book is set on the Tuscan coast of Italy where the Flowers family go for a holiday.

You get introduced to a number of characters throughout the story and the writer keeps you guessing what part they play and what secrets they may possibly hide.

I
« previous 1 3 next »

• Rewind
  • The Bastille Spy
  • The Possession (The Anomaly Files #2)
  • How to Play Dead
  • Gone (Dr. Bloom, #1)
  • Home Truths
  • The Woman in the Photograph
  • 17 Church Row
  • My not so functional family
  • Arctic Zoo
  • I Made a Mistake
Sanjida Kay is the author of psychological thrillers, 'One Year Later', 'My Mother's Secret', 'The Stolen Child' and 'Bone by Bone', which was longlisted for a Steel Dagger Award. She's an Amazon rising star, and is published by Corvus Books. Sanjida lives in Somerset with her husband and her daughter.