Start by marking “Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach” as Want to Read:
Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach

Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach

Professor Varian's lucid prose guides students through the fundamentals of microeconomic analysis while emphasizing real-world economic problems and incorporating coverage of the most innovative subjects in the discipline. The Seventh Edition has been carefully updated and revised, adding a wealth of new applications and examples that analyze the important lessons offered ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1987)

Start your review of Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach
Jake Losh
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics, nonfiction
Varian's Intermediate Microeconomics is a fantastic introduction to microeconomic theory. Particularly in the early phase of my first-year graduate economics course work, I often turned to it to gain intuition. It stands the test of time as a great reference.
M
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, 2010, non-fiction, ppe
One of the few textbooks I have read almost cover-to-cover. Complete with rather horrific economic jokes (like hitfrogs targeting a scorpion's family). Unfortunately, I have to go over the entire thing again, especially the formulae.
Clarisa Doval
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, even if you start from a low level.
Gavin
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This kicked my arse; it was way above my mathematical level when I first encountered it.
Bruno Teixeira
I have left this book marked as "currently reading" for a long time, mainly because I frequently came back to it, in order to re-read some parts. Now, I have read the entire book at least once, some chapters twice, a few even more than that, but I'm now planing on coming back again to this, so I'm changing the shelve to "read".
zltg
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
It's an easy and comfortable subject to begin with. The author did a good job explain things in detail. Probably too much detail.
Daniel
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I told someone I was reading this and he was horrified that Varian doesn't use calculus properly. Bloody neoclassical economists. The models are a fiction and the precision doesn't matter. Skipping calculus is more intuitive anyway.

Introducing model after model became tiring. Ignoring the sketchy chapter on econometrics, there was little to introducing the empirical side of economics. But, Varian makes up for it with the delightful examples.

I started off the textbook loving economics and wishing
Dhiraj Kumar
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my second book on micro-economics and I truly enjoyed reading it. It is quite easy to understand, all you need is a basic understanding of calculus. This is a must book in your shelf you want to pursue economics.
Lindsey Buck
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is really great. Definitely what I would assign if I was teaching intermediate micro. Great analysis of consumer and producer theory. Calculus in the appendix parts so if you have students who know call they can check it out, but also works for students who don’t have calf background.
B
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent intermediate micro textbook! Bought it in addition to my class' official textbook on the recommendation of a friend, and ended up using this supplemental textbook as my main one. Varian truly does know how to make economics interesting. Highly recommend.
Waris Ahmad Faizi
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-explained!
A well educative and academic book in Microeconomics for economists.
Recommended!!!
Bert Bertson
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Good for economic intuition. Bad for the mathematical intuition regarding economics.
Федор Поповић
Sep 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Don not ever read this book, it is to complicated, the writer gone to far away in mathematics, and you won't understand anything if you are a beginner.
Ndawa
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exellent book
Fran
Note to self: The most difficult book ever! Main text for Basic Microeconomics course under Prof. Kiyoshi Taniguchi (Ohio State 2001), Fall Term 2003; and Microeconomics course under Prof. Yuichiro Yoshida (Boston College 2001), Winter Term 2004. International Development Program, International University of Japan
J.
I will probably have this textbook again but I really do not think it is very clear for people who do not have background in finance.
Shingi
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best academic book for economists studying a degree in economists to be able to compete with international standards
Sayantani Ghosh
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is a beginner's best friend.
Jyoti
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book to read but not for beginners...
Ecostudent
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book especially for consumer theory portion.
Fiaz Ahmed

• Mastering 'Metrics: The Path from Cause to Effect
  • Microeconomic Theory: Basic Principles and Extensions
  • Contemporary Strategy Analysis
  • Introduction to Economic Growth
  • Introduction to Econometrics (Addison-Wesley Series in Economics)