Start by marking “A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)

A Heart of Blood and Ashes

(A Gathering of Dragons #1)

A generation past, the western realms were embroiled in endless war. Then the Destroyer came. From the blood and ashes he left behind, a tenuous alliance rose between the barbarian riders of Parsathe and the walled kingdoms of the south. That alliance is all that stands against the return of an ancient evil—until the barbarian king and queen are slain in an act of bloody ...more
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Heart of Blood and Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart of Blood and Ashes

Start your review of A Heart of Blood and Ashes (A Gathering of Dragons, #1)
Navessa

This book is a lusciously brutal foray into romantic fantasy, with a love story that burns so hot, you might singe your fingers while reading it. I devoured it in a single sitting and have been struggling to re-emerge back into the real world ever since. It’ll be a travesty if it doesn’t top the “Best Romance of 2020” lists.

“There are enemies, and there are monsters. Always slay the monsters first, because enemies may one day become allies – but monsters never will.”

I know we’re barely into
Angela
This book. This book is fucking amazing. It was, honestly, a perfect read for me.

2019 was the year of re-reads for me. But 2020 looks to be the year of amazing new books - if they follow in the path of A Heart of Blood and Ashes.

I've read books by Meljean Brook, and I've LOVED them - especially her Iron Seas series - so I was excited when I first heard she has a new barbarian romance series coming out under her pen-name, Milla Vane. So much so that I pre-ordered the book.<

The cherry on top
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
So excited about this one sigh <3

description

Corina
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, strong-woman

review to come

ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest review.
Betül
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**
description

- 4.5 stars -

I was excited to read this book ever since I laid eyes on the blurb and cover. When I started reading and saw how long it was I got even more excited. In the fantasy genre, especially if it is the first book in a series, it can get very difficult and sometimes chaotic when introducing a new world to a reader. So I really appreciate it when an author really takes the time to explain everything, but not dumping the
FV Angela
Epic Fantasy Romance at its finest. This book will be on all kinds of best of lists in 2020.

Review to come closer to release date.
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
I. Can’t. Wait!!!
Janine Ballard
Jan 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF at 60%. Review to come closer to the book’s publication date.
Kelly at
If you have not added this book to your read list go do it now!!!
Review will be posted at www.books-n-kisses.com .

REVIEW PROVIDED BY: Kelly
NUMBER OF HEARTS: 5
Maddek is out for vengeance and nothing will stand in his way. That is until he meets an unlikely ally. One that will test everything the Maddek knows and feels. Nothing will ever be the same for Maddek.

Yvenne has been looked away for all her life. But now she is free and she is determined to take what is rightfully hers. In order to do
Sunny
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. EPIC! Review to come.
Jessica B.
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*early work perk read*

THIS BOOK. Remember when Game of Thrones (show version) wasn't a massive let down? So take that feeling, add a lot more consensual/non-incest sex, badass barbarian warriors, and dragons/demons/creatures and you've got this book.

The heroine's emotions did tend to bounce around between extremes, but given the circumstances and her history, it was definitely forgivable. Besides that one minor quibble I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Kazza
Jul 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Damn. That is one fine cover
Nadine Jones
A solid “maybe?”
KindleJo Jo
Holy balls, this book was amazing! This was the perfect first read for the year.
evilqueen21
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*review to come!
Rosemary
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable. Welcome back Meljean. Looking forward to next book in series.
Nita
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Combine my two favorite genres - romance and fantasy - add:
A barbarian king to be, who is stubborn, but a great leader
A princess with strength of mind and spirit, but don't dismiss strength of body
Side characters I would love to sit around a fire with and listen to their stories
The promise of a big bad I hope we get to meet
Amazing, amazing dialogue!

I'm all in for this series.

ARC provided through Netgalley.
Glittergirl
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story was years in the making. Meljean Brook-Milla Vane has been talking about her barbarians for years and it shows in this 534 page book! It is violent, steamy, brutal, strategic, scheming and full of larger than life characters. It is an epic fantasy romance saga in a prehistoric like world with magic.

Maddek is the Commander of the Alliance Army, a Parsathean warrior and prince, defending the Alliance's border. The story opens when he's called back to Alliance headquarters to learn his
Maria
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maddok has been leading the defense of the alliance of the southern kingdoms and Parsathe when he learns that his parents are dead. He must return to plains to be acknowledge speaker and leader of his nation. But when he learns that his parents were murdered he vows to avenge their death and kidnaps the daughter of the man responsible.

Yvenne is the last of legendary warrior-queens and her frailty leaves her with only the protection of her wits. She proposes a marriage between them so that they
Adrianna Schuh
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So I'm watching a booktube video from Peace Love Books and she mentioned this book. I'd never heard of it or the author. But something about it caught my intention. I took a chance and reached out to Berkley Romance for an ARC and they were nice enough to send me one. My goodness this book was everything I never knew I always wanted! I'm kind of over YA Fantasy. But this was my first true Adult Fantasy and I loved it.

The book is set during a very primitive time. You can tell by the language,
Heather Banks
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Milla Vane created an new world that was so intense and believable. I couldn't help but think of Game of Thrones. It has that feel with a hint of scifi (large lizard animals..) I loved the heroine and the hero. I love their flaws and the tension between them. This is an enemies to lovers book - and I mean - ENEMIES. Like rip-your-tongue-out-of-your-mouth enemies. The book is action packed and sex-ay! Seriously...incredibly sexy.
Limecello
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Probably [definitely?] will review on ALBTALBS;

B or ... B+?
B-?
SOMEWHERE IN THE B FAMILY.

I kinda wish I'd put what percentage/how far I was in the book when I tweeted this ... https://twitter.com/Limecello/status/...
but TBH I kinda felt that way for the whole thing - and wasn't ~ok with shit until 98%? So ... yeah.
McKenzie
OMG YES. I can’t wait to reread this one, it’s that good. Elaborate world-building, intricately crafted characters and relationships that feel so real, action and suspense...and dinosaurs?!? Mind. Blown.
Carol McMahon
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won an advanced reader copy in a goodreads giveaway. Once I picked it up to start reading I found it very difficult to put down in order to sleep. The plot was well thought out, mix of fantasy and romance and flowed well from beginning to end. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Amy A
Kimberly
Jan 05, 2020
Sasha
Nov 15, 2019

• Night of the Scoundrel (The Devils of Dover, #3.5)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • The Starless Sea
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Nothing to See Here
  • The Widow of Rose House
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Hired (Happy Endings, #2)
  • (Not) The One
  • Regretting You
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Would Like to Meet
Milla Vane is an alternate name for author Meljean Brook.

Meljean was raised in the middle of the woods, and hid under her blankets at night with fairy tales, comic books, and romances. She left the forest and went on a misguided tour through the world of accounting before focusing on her first loves, reading and writing-and she realized that monsters, superheroes, and happily-ever-afters are

A Gathering of Dragons (2 books)
  • A Touch of Stone and Snow (A Gathering of Dragons, #2)