Start by marking “So Lucky” as Want to Read:

‘A total joy’ Matt Haig

‘Very, very funny’ Sara Pascoe

‘Thought-provoking’ Daily Mail

‘Unputdownable’ Marian Keyes

Fearless, frank and for anyone who’s ever doubted themselves, So Lucky is the straight-talking new novel from the Sunday Times bestseller.

IS ANYONE’S LIFE . . .

Beth shows that women really can have it all.
Ruby lives life by her own rules.
And then there’s Lauren, living the dream.

AS PERFECT AS IT LOOKS?

Beth hasn’t had/>dream.

ASthere’s/>.

themselves,
Published October 31st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about So Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Lucky

Start your review of So Lucky
Sheri
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Cows, so I was thrilled to be invited to read Dawn O’Porter’s new book, and it was indeed a fantastic read.

Ruby struggles both with her three-year-old daughter Bonnie, who she finds difficult to manage, and with a physical condition which she finds deeply shaming and isolating. New mother Beth - in a reversal of stereotype - can’t deal with her husband’s lack of interest in sex (though their problems clearly run deeper). And “social media influencer” Lauren, about to be m
Abbie | ab_reads
3.5 stars - super fun and tackling some important themes that aren’t talked about enough too! Full review to come
Lynn Fisher
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book I have read by this author and I absolutely loved it as much as the first one. It dealt with and highlighted real issues in a funny relatable way. It had me laughing out loud quite a lot but was also quite emotional as well. Fantastic read and would definitely recommend this. One of my favourite books this year so far.
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I follow Dawn O'Porter on Instagram and find her instagram stories hilarious. She's a very witty person but her humour doesn't show up in this book. I think I laughed out loud once.

I wouldn't say the synopsis matches the actual story. The story mainly features two different women. Beth, a new mother who has returned to work as a Wedding Planner whilst her husband Michael has taken Paternity Leave to care for their 4 month old baby. Beth is struggling not because of returning to work but because
Cheryl M-M
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be completely frank I found it dark, depressing, I disliked it and it made me angry. Why? Because O'Porter is just spot on with the portrayal of her characters. Too real. She hits the nail on the head when it comes to the judgmental and toxic atmosphere women live in and with. Believing they have to adhere to physical, emotional and psychological standards set by a patriarchal society, and what's often worse when those standards are demanded of them by other women.

As the story evo
Claire
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wishes really do come true! I was so happy when the publishers granted my wish and provided me with a copy of So Lucky via NetGalley before it's release date. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read it until now, but I'm still so thankful I was given the opportunity.

So Lucky focuses on three female characters, who from the outside all appear to have a perfect life, but are all struggling with certain problems of their own, whether that be marriage, physical conditions or doing an
Cathy Fogg
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3 women who on the outside appear to have it all but as we all know, it’s not always the case. Brilliantly honest & laugh out loud funny, this is another fantastic read from Dawn O’Porter. I read it in one sitting! 5*****

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher & Dawn O’Porter for the ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Bridget
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pigeonhole
If your favoured reading material is a compelling tale with a good sprinkling of humour, sadness, self-doubt, imperfection and destructive relationships then feel free to read So Lucky by Dawn O’Porter.

Ruby, Lauren and Beth all have their individual issues: Ruby is so sad as she hides her body from everyone and her low self esteem affects her relationship with her young daughter Bonnie; Beth is funny, lovely and vivacious but her husband constantly rejects her body. Both women face their
Catalina
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Once again a bunch of not very likable characters. Seems to be Dawn's guilty pleasure to give us complex female characters that one may or may not like but somehow always end up rooting for. Such wit and such humor. Despite my annoyance with the characters(Ruby in particular) I was really enjoying it until the last 1/3. The constant "all's well that ends well" ending of modern books is really, really getting on my nerves. I really feel it cheapen this particular one. It just made it into a stupi ...more
my bookworm life
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great read, filled with plenty of moments that made me laugh out loud, moments that were raw and emotional, and plenty of filthy frank and blunt moments too!. It has a bit of everything and it flows brilliantly too, i loved the different characters having their own focused chapters so we really got to know each one properly and see what they were dealing with. The character progression for each of them was brilliant too, the writing and building for each one done so well!. They w ...more
Carolyn
I have not read anything by this author before and to be fair, I realised quite soon after starting reading it, that I am obviously not the intended target audience.

The premise is an interesting one, using different women's pov's to explore body image in particular with regard to Instagram and social media, and the pressures our modern world places upon women trying to live up to impossible body and beauty standards. The book also explores marital and mental health issues.

This isn't
Emma
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read anything by Dawn O'Porter before but had heard great things so I just had to request this when it popped up on NetGalley and it did not disappoint.
Beth has the best husband and a new baby. She is also currently arranging the biggest showbiz wedding of the year.
But her life is far from perfect and she can't even bring herself to confide in her over-sharing assistant/friend, Risky, about it.
Ruby is neglecting her 3 year old daughter because she is obsessed with h
Jesika
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
This book quite ambitiously tackles a multitude of issues facing women - the gruelling beauty standards we reinforce whilst hating them, the difficulties of trying to balance being a mum and have an ambitious career, the painful way those with mental illnesses are attacked for having them. It is all incredibly valuable, and in many ways I liked this book for tackling so much of it at once.

It was a quick read, and I'm wondering if that was the problem for me? This is a book which quit
Josephine
What’s it About? Two women, primarily: Beth, and Ruby, whose stories told in alternating chapters make up a social commentary of parenthood, love, feminism and social media.

What I liked: I liked it more than I liked The Cows, for starters which I was super disappointed in. It had a lot of valid things to say and it made those points for the most part, pretty well. I was interested in Beth and Ruby - Ruby a little more so I think, her story having a tenderness to it that surprised me.
Aimee Walker Editorial
I have loved all of Dawn O'Porter's books and her social media posts so I was delighted and 'so lucky' to get an e-copy of So Lucky from NetGalley and Harper Collins.
I wasn't disappointed. I laughed, cried and cringed, like proper toe-curlingly cringed! I don't think I've read another author as honest about modern life as Dawn, she says it how it really is – without apology. If you are easily offended maybe give it a miss but I really can't recommend it enough to the rest of you!
Kerry A
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG I'm 'so lucky' to have received an advance copy of Dawn O'Porter's new book, the author most likely to make me laugh hysterically on public transport. Underneath the sharp humour lie some mighty big issues - body image, family breakdown, society's expectations and self-esteem. The story revolves around three women trying to find their way in the world. Ruby, full of self-loathing, photoshops supermodel magazine pictures for a living. It's hard enough to deal with with her own body-image issu ...more
Emily Fordham
Sharp, witty, had me laughing out loud at times and then also made me think very deeply at others. Very much one for the insta-generation. I loved all three main characters and thought the plotting of the story and the way it weaved together was very clever.
Alicia
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read about problems that women face which are rarely talked about it other books. Interesting dissection of the Instagram vs reality idea
gem
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rtc.
This book was great! ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Claire Thorpe
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it ! such a funny book - it deals with modern day issues in a humorous and funny way. The title of the book is really clever too - I have read the Cows and thought that was a fab book but this one is better in my opinion.
The main story is about Beth , a new mum who has returned back to work after having her baby and how she struggles with work and her husband. Then there is Ruby who has an interesting medical condition and how this affects her everyday life . Can't wait for another b
Chris Roberts
Oct 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Character driven novels,
have a very special place on the remainder shelf.

#poem

Chris Roberts, Patron Saint of the Mocking Bird People
Thomas
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Biting commentary all about feminism and female body image without being obnoxious. Absolutely hilarious with some in your face moments. You can't help but cringe at what happens to the characters but also completely fall in with them.

I enjoyed this line: ‘Women supporting women can be really limiting when you need a wedding to happen.’
Niamh
I was very kindly given an e-arc of this book through Netgalley, HarperCollins and Harper Fiction.

You know, I put down a copy of 'The Cows' because I couldn't quite get into it, but this one is really something.

A story of sisterhood, female friendship, anxiety and the image in the modern world, O'Porter tackles a huge number of issues affecting four different women. Burrowing under the skin to explore motherhood and body image- and how all of that is impacted by external and interna
Tasha
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all let me start by saying this review was always going to be slightly biased. I am a massive Dawn O'Porter fan. I've followed her on Instagram for ages and she is so funny. I watched her stories whilst she was writing this book and as soon as she started promoting it ahead of its release in October I knew I had to have a copy!

I wanted to love this book, I had such high expectations for it.

I wasn't disappointed!

The book follows 3 fe
Nicola
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley , the author and publisher for a copy of this book.

Brilliant and so relateable - I couldn't put it down and read it in one day. There are many laugh out loud moments and, at a couple of points, the tears trickled. I absolutely loved it.

Go read this one - 5 stars!
Kerry-louise Jones
If you liked The Cows, you will enjoy this book!

This is a another story of female empowerment from Dawn O'Porter. Just as in "The Cows" the book is written from three different female perspectives each with their own issues. Ruby has body image and issues, Beth has marriage issues and Lauren has mental health issues and her story is told through Instagram posts, they all have mother issues.

I enjoyed the book and following the story to how all the women finally became connected, I always enjoy
Liz Whitehouse
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are times when you read a book and you have no idea what it’s about and have taken a punt because the author is famous and you like them, and because the cover is really cool, and this was one of those occasions. This book was an exquisite piece of fiction that encapsulated what it is like to be a woman in the 21st century, and how no matter who you are, why you are, what you is happening and what you see can be very different. It was heart breaking and heart warming in equal measure and s ...more
Rachel Bridgeman
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november
'So Lucky' describes how I feel about reading the newest novel from one of the UK's most dynamic and fearless women writers-it also describes the throwaway remark that most of us unwittingly use to dismiss the success of others.

Especially women.

We do this to ourselves all the time, men rarely underplay their achievements but a woman going 'hell yes I have worked hard for this home/promotion/personal goal' is nearly always framed by 'being in the right place at the right t
Karen Mace
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forget teenage angst, there's nothing more stressed, pissed off and downright angry than a woman and that is what this book is based around! The issues that make us grumpy, the pressures we all put ourselves under, the absurdities of life in the Instagram world we now live in - motherhood, relationships, body image, modern life - it's all here and perfectly pitched by the author in a savage but humourous story that I thoroughly enjoyed and ended up finding really touching and poignant!
Lainy
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages - 400

Publisher - Harper Collins

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

IS ANYONE’S LIFE . . .

Beth shows that women really can have it all.
Ruby lives life by her own rules.
And then there’s Lauren, living the dream.

AS PERFECT AS IT LOOKS?

Beth hasn’t had sex in a year.
Ruby feels like she’s failing.
Lauren’s happiness is fake news.

And it just take