Start by marking “Reprisal (Adversary Cycle, #5)” as Want to Read:
Reprisal (Adversary Cycle, #5)

Reprisal (Adversary Cycle #5)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,422 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Poised and waiting for the moment he can unleash an ancient wave of horror that will extinguish humanity, Jonah poses as a graduate student in a small southern town to hide his venomous vampiric identity.
Hardcover, First Trade Edition, 332 pages
Published 1991 by Dark Harvest

To ask other readers questions about Reprisal, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Chuk
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Benjamin Thomas
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The fifth and penultimate book in F. Paul Wilson’s Adversary Cycle lived up to every expectation I had for it. It is an excellent horror story in its own right but is also critical to this overall series as well as providing further insight to the Repairman Jack series, both of which meet and culminate in the final novel, Nightworld.

The plot of this novel follows closely after the events of Reborn in which the great evil that was thought to have been eradicated in book one, The Keep, was reborn
Mark
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Reprisal is the fifth and penultimate book of F. Paul Wilson's Adversary Cycle. This book has a much darker tone than the previous books of the Adversary Cycle, and it was a good read.

The Plot

The book takes place around 23 years after the events of Reborn and the action starts in medias res. Will Ryerson is getting phone calls from a child who's constantly screaming for help; a child who's supposed to be dead. Ryerson is accused of killing him. His only friend in the world is a math Ph.D.
Brent Ecenbarger
As I'm nearing the end of both the Adversary Cycle as well as the Repairman Jack series, both are currently suffering from trying to tie together a larger arc instead of telling a compelling individual story. The problem mainly stems from Rasolam, the villain figure who is just shy of all knowing and all powerful, but chooses to spend his time messing with a priest and a frumpy math teacher rather than working towards advancing his goals of turning the Earth into a haven for the forces of evil.

R
Sean Newgent
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The penultimate novel in the Adversary Cycle, Reprisal brings back the characters from Reborn twenty years later. Father Bill Ryan, on the run after a horrendous run in with evil, is our protagonist. He works as a groundskeeper at a North Carolina college where he befriends a professor and is gradually pulled even further into an abyss of darkness that there may be no escape from.

What Reprisal contains that none of the Wilson novels I have read had is emotion. While the characters aren't entire
David
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very entertaining book by F. Paul Wilson to finish up his "Adversary Cycle". If you are not familiar with Wilson, he has two series of books that deal with the "Secret History of the World". His novels typically have a unique plot to the book, but also one which ties in to the overarching history. This book ends one of the series, and it will merge with the Repairman Jack series in "Nightworld". Got that?

"Reprisal" follows "Reborn" and picks up basically where it left off. The main cha
Eric
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel opens in a promising manner, with our old friend Mr. Veilleur sitting alone in a small cemetery in Queens. He ruminates next to an unmarked, four-foot grave, whose occupant, Mr. Veilleur believes, was touched by The Enemy.

Shift the scene to Darnell University in Pendleton, North Carolina. Lisl Whitman is a frumpy assistant math professor, 32 years old, lonely, and lacking confidence. Will Ryerson is a groundskeeper at the university, mid-forties, with a strange but understandable ave
Коста  Сивов
Така, така! Стигнах и до петата книга от цикъла за "Врага" на Ф. Пол Уилсън. С ръка на сърцето мога да заявя, че това е, определено, най-добрият роман от поредицата (поне до момента). Трябва също да призная, че толкова добър хорър не бях чел от доста време. Направо красота!

В тази част от цикъла битката срещу Рашалом (както е преведено името в първата книга "Крепостта", но според мен си е Расалом) продължава с пълна сила. В предната книга влязоха някои нови герои като един от тях - Бил Раян, прод
David Agranoff

It is interesting to read the fifth book in a series and think to yourself upon finishing it that it wasn’t like any other novel you can remember. Reprisal is a very unique horror novel, that is one of the most heart-breaking a devastating reads you’ll ever have trouble putting done. Wilson has created an effective novel that’s terror is built on the back of strong characterizations. It can’t be stated enough because it goes over the heads of many horror fans, but a horror story can’t be effecti
Ciscokid
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect horror novel. I'm working my way through "the secret history of the world" and was kinda disappointed when I realized that Jack wasn't going to be a character in this story. That disappointment didn't stay with me long. A book where "the adversary" was the main character fits right in with the two series. The plight of Danny is what makes this a good horror story. My eyes were glued to the book as soon as Father Bill found him in the house, and I couldn't stop reading. The qu ...more
Brittany
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book overall. In this novel, nobody is whom (s)he appears to be, which makes the story even more twisted. Especially in The Reprisal we see characters' faith—in God, humanity, themselves—tested, but in the end they only seem to believe in Rasalom. They (and specifically Bill) give up on pretty much anything else they held dear throughout their lives, but have no trouble accepting Rasalom and the fate he has in store for the world. I find that a little unbelievable. Another thing that b ...more
Jan Kjellin
Leigh Terry
Wilson's "The Adversary Cycle" has gotten a bit bloated. Granted, I only stumbled onto it when I first found Repairman Jack. I had to do a lot of backtracking. But I've gone back and read everything up to this point, and I'm still confused.

"Reprisal" features characters from "Reborn" that I didn't even realize were characters from "Reborn" until well into the book. There've been a dozen Repairman Jack books to read in between these two books, and I've lost track. Granted, I'm invested now. I can
Neil
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
EDIT: I've now read Fatal Error. My original comments below about Mr. Veilleur's actions are a bit more understandable now that I have read it (although it is still in my opinion inconsistent with his character). Fatal Error does make Reprisal a much more relevant book - however, it's not enough to change my mind on the rating I gave this one. It is still in my opinion the weakest in the series (given how good the series is though - it's still better than a lot of books I've read).

ORIGINAL REVIE
Grant Howard
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A handy reading note: The first portion of this book refers to a terrible thing that happened in the past. I thought it was a plot element from "Reborn" I had forgot and was trying to look it up. Turns out these events happen after "Reborn" and are revealed in the central flashback section of"Reprisal".

This book is excellent. There's a sense that it's just character stuff and getting pieces into play for the next part of the Adversary/Repairman Jack series. This however is done so skilfully and
Todd
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong, solid horror novel. One of the issues I had with the Adversary series the first time I read it was they way the individual books jumped around from place to place and storyline to storyline, so you didn't really get to connect with the characters as well as you could before everything started coming back together in the last couple of books of the series. Well, this is the book where the threads come together, and it's better off for it. (Reading the Jack/Adversary books together follo ...more
David
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This is the original version of this novel (officially part of the Adversary series), written before 12 of the Repairman Jack novels that act as "prequels" to this story. I know that F. Paul Wilson meant to revise this to match the timeline, and that would be interesting to see how that worked. As it is, there are some holes in the larger story it fits into: The Secret History of the World. Nevertheless, this is very illuminating as to the character of Rasalom. This is not a stand-alone novel. A ...more
Brian Palmer
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, thriller
Wilson paints a tremendously dark and subtle evil in this, taking intriguing and sympathetic characters around the mathematics department of Darnell University and pulling them into a web of betrayal and evil. This is not the action-movie evil of the Repairman Jack series; this is scary horror movie evil, where people are tempted into becoming their own doom.

The only thing that really bothered me was the characters treated the warmed over Randian pseudophilosophy as wholly original; I doubt ther
George Ramos
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Continues the tone and scope of the previous 4 books in The Adversary Cycle. Considering this is the penultimate book I was mildly disappointed: I would have liked the scale of the book's events to go beyond the usual 2-3 mundane and boring characters the author gives us. This is a direct continuation of the previous books in the series, however, and fills the itch to know what happens when the child grows up.

There were no surprises in the book, but there were thankfully some deliciously cold-he
Allen Garvin
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A book I've had for a decade or so. Part of the adversary cycle, I've read the book before and its sequel but never gotten around to it before. With all the fast-paced books Wilson has written in recent years, it's hard to remember his earlier books where the pace was slow and the horror, the wrongness and other-ness, ponderous but inevitable to develop. This little gem from 1992 is one of those. There's no real resolution, and it mainly sets up Nightworld, the end of the sequence, but it's stil ...more
John
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, f-paul-wilson
I really liked this book. One of my favorite F. Paul Wilson books. I like how everything ties together in this book. Great part of the Adversary Cycle! Definitely is a must read if you like Repairman Jack. Do not read this book out of order. Please go to F. Paul Wilson's site and read his books in the order listed. Follow the order of The Secret History of the World. He did a great job with the characters in this book. I enjoyed them all. This was a page turner and a heart breaker. F. Paul Wilso ...more
Shelly
This is a fantastic book. It incorporates some strands of the "Repairman Jack" series, and foreshadows how "The Adversary Cycle" and "Repairman Jack" series come together. "Reprisal" takes place concurrently with "The Touch" and "Fatal Error." Readers finally discover what happened in when Jack dropped Glaeken off at St. Anne's Cemetery, and what happened when Glaeken went to North Carolina. This is a thrilling lead in to the final books in the Secret History of the World.
Dave
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 5 in the original 6 book Adversary Cycle, this book gave me nightmares when I read it back in 1994. After reading Wilson's 'new' version of the last book, Night World, I decided to read this one again. I picked up the version written in the 90's.
It STILL hold up. It is not a "stand alone". You'll need to read The Keep and Reborn to really understand what is going on.
Well written, and still chilling. The images will stay with you long after you've read it.
Tim Osborn
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really carefully crafted work of horror. You can almost feel for the unsuspecting rubes who never see what evil is lurking about ready to swallow them. The character relationships are fascinating in the most suspenseful way. You will not be able to put this book down. After the original story The Keep was made into a film F. Paul Wilson refused to let Hollywood destroy another of his stories. I understand why no movie could do justice to this series.
Mark
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adversary Cycle is about to wrap up, and this lead-in seemed worth the wait. "Reprisal" is more psychological than paranormal thriller. But, the further I read, the more I realized there was something else happening here. There are some interesting twists in people's actions/reactions due to the "Atrocity" of 5 years previous. The action sequence at the end sets a great tone and I anticipate a thoroughly enjoyable finish in the next book. Worthy of 3.5 to 4 stars.
Andrew
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catching up on the bad-guy thread of the Repairman Jack universe. It is a respectable book except that it doesn't have Jack in it, and I'm sticking with this stuff for familiarity (Jack) and continuity (Secret History background) rather than because I love Wilson's writing. As usual, I agree with his underlying theme of "people who hate people are the loneliest people, and will also destroy civilization" but it's played way over the top.
Becky
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This really was not one of my favorite Adversary Cycle books. Somehow, the pace of the novel felt "off". The characters were interesting, but I did not find myself getting very attached to them this time around. On the whole, it felt like it was forced, as if the author needed to get from point a to point b and in a hurry. Two and a half stars, though I still like this author's style.
Carey Gibbons
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah! I couldn't put this book down. Most of the Adversary Cycle was predictable since I've read most of the Repairman Jack books, but this one bought everything and tied up a bunch of loose ends for both series. It was really great to revisit characters from Reborn. And the mention of Jack at the end was pretty awesome. Moving on to The Dark at the End now.
Bill Mazzola
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book - so close to being five stars. . Loved hue this book really came together with Fatal Error, the Repairman Jack book. Both stories happen concurrently and finally really join the two tales together as one opus. Really looking forward to the last Jack book and then Nightworld. What an incredible saga this has turned out to be.
Bob Jr.
The book was okay, and was horrifying in spots (that scene in the graveyard, brr...) but suffers from being primarily a transition book. It catches us up on characters from Reborn and sets the stage for the ending of the Adversary cycle, so it's important to read for that, but I'm just not sure it stands well on its own.
Kilgallen
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
I liked the plot of this instalment of the adversary cycle. At times it seemed a little scattered with intertwined plots moving forward. Not a blood and guts type of horror but there were certainly some un comfortable scenes. Uncomfortable in a good way :)
  • Kill Whitey
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Prodigal Blues
  • Prayers to Broken Stones
  • Body Rides
  • Draculas
  • Haggopian and Other Stories
  • SEAL Team 666 (SEAL Team 666 #1)
  • The Summoning
  • Blackout (Kat Bronsky #2)
  • Hallowed Ground
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Adversary Cycle (6 books)
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1; Adversary Cycle, #2; The Secret History of the World)
  • The Touch (Adversary Cycle, #3)
  • Reborn (Adversary Cycle, #4)
  • Nightworld (Adversary Cycle, #6)
“War, hate, jealousy, racism - what are they but manifestations of fear?” 9 likes