Start by marking “The Year We Hid Away (The Ivy Years, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Year We Hid Away (The Ivy Years, #2)

The Year We Hid Away

(The Ivy Years #2)

She’s hiding something big. He’s hiding someone small.
Bridger Macaulley used to be a player both on and off the ice. But now, while his teammates chase the next hockey victory, Bridger worries that the dean will discover he’s housing his eight-year-old sister in his dorm room. Juggling a full course load and a big secret, it’s only a matter of time until the other skate drops.
Published May 26th 2014 by Tuxbury Publishing LLC (first published May 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Year We Hid Away, please sign up.
Kat Alex Yes, you can. Some of the ending of The Year We Fell Down will be implied, but I assume a happy ever after is implied anyway, so...

Christy
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-audios
5 stars!

photo CCB52882-A03C-48A6-B307-68BB5C9CCF44_zpssoiyk8vq.jpg
She’s hiding something big. He’s hiding someone small.

Well hello there, binge-reading. It’s nice to see you again ;) It’s been a while since I’ve completely devoured a series back to back like I’m doing with the Ivy Years Series. I can’t help it. I don’t want to stop! This series is so great! I love that each book is about a different couple, and that each story gives me the feels and keeps me completely invested in the characters lives.

Bridger and Scarlet’s story was special. They were both hiding
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

photo the year we hid away.png

The Year We Hid Away is the second book in the Ivy Years series and it focuses on Scarlet and former college hockey player Bridger. Scarlet is a freshman and is escaping a horrid home and Bridger is a joint student pursuing his undergraduate and masters degrees at the same time. They meet in class, begin to hand out and become friends.

Scarlet is hiding who she is from everyfriends.
Duchess Nicole
Two five star books in a row in this series. (If you want me to be honest, the novella that comes after this has already been devoured as well, and it's a 4.5 Star) That's almost unheard of for me, especially lately. What is it about this series that is blowing me away? I pick up a book and can't stop reading...it's been a long time since I've been unable to put a book down.

Scarlett and Bridger's journey was a rough one...not because of angst and New Adult insecurity, but because of the heavy r
Norah Una Sumner

Interesting little story. I liked it just a bit more than the first book, but they're both pretty good. Bridger and Scarlet have an amazing chemistry and I liked reading about them. Bridger has an adorable little secret, which I loved as well. The aspect of characters' dark past was quite a huge deal in this book, and it was done well. I am definitely ready to jump onto the next book, I heard so many good things about it!

description
Simona Bartolotta
2.5

The story is nice and, overall, entertaining enough, but nothing I haven't seen hundreds of times already. It could have been much better, but it could have been much worse too.

There is only one thing I'd like to point out.
The female lead, Scarlet, takes an Italian class in college. The teacher wants his students to speak only Italian during his classes, and in one scene he admonishes them yelling “EN ITALIANO!” (yes, it's all caps in the book too).
A PITY THAT'S THE WRONG PREPOSITION.
It's Spanish that uses en, in Ialready./>The
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Not as strong as the first in this series but still very, very solid.

Scarlet is hiding and for good reasons. Her dad has been charged with a horrendous crime, and thus her entire life has been hell for the last year. She just wants to escape to college and start anew, and that begins with changing her identity. The only bright thing in her life is the growing friendship she has with hottie Bridger, as they help each other with classes and studying.

The thing is, Bridger
Jeannine Allison
WOW. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this, but I absolutely loved it. There was no crazy drama and I managed to be surprised at almost every turn (probably because I was expecting some crazy drama). Bridger was perfection! I loved how his man-whore status wasn't the main focus of the novel, he owned up to it and wasn't afraid of a relationship. Scarlet was the same way, she had reservations but she wasn't running from anything. It was great to see two strong characters fight for each other, d ...more
Kate's Corner
Spoiler -ish!

5 Tuesday & Thursday Stars.

I loved this book. It has angst and two stories that are heartbreaking for the MC. This book stayed with me all throughout the night.

Scarlet had her name changed as over the past year she turned into a pariah. Her father has been accused of sexually abusing young boys (really iffy topic for me here) She escapes to Harkness in the hopes that everything will change. But the past can never be outrun.

I liked
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
GUYS! Kindle freebie 12/27/17!
Jacqueline's Reads
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Bella
Shelves: college
5 I love Bridger Stars

The year We Hid Away is part of the Ivy Years series and is a standalone. I haven’t read a Sarina Bowen book. I’ve seen her books everywhere, but I never started this series because I thought you had to read them in order. Well, you don’t. When I realized each books were a standalone, I decided to start with this one.

I absolutely loved it!

I really liked the storyline and I loved the writing style. The Year we Hid Away is a college NA romance novel, it had everything I was looking for in a rone.
I
Bindi Boo
4 stars

I enjoyed this short, sweet read with lots of twists and turns. I love that this couple connected from the beginning and were true to their feelings. No push-pull apart from trying to protect each other. I enjoyed their friendship and loved their loyalty towards each other.

A definite worth- your- time read.
TeriLyn
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

**The Year We Hid Away generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.**

5 Hidden Stars

The Year We Hid Away provides the second installment to the Ivy Years Series focusing on Hartley’s friend Bridger and a new character Scarlet. This story gives us another new adult title by Ms. Bowen that lends itself to being completely fresh and unique yet following new adult structure perfectly. The crafting of this plot weaves in two completely different back stories for Bridger and Scarlet –/>The/>5**The
Sarah Dorothea
3 out of 5 stars! ⭐ I must say that I liked the first book in ‘The Ivy Years‘ a lot better than this one. I felt like the romance part was so badly described in this book. It seemed so forced and as a reader it was really weird to read it, the atmosphere was strange at times and I could not connect with the characters whatsoever. 😰

So here is what the book is about: Scarlet Crowley’s lifclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
Some people manage to skate through their life with little to no drama and others seem to get everything thrown at them. I don't know why that is but the old saying - it's not what happens to you, it's how you deal with it - is very true.

Bridger is a college hockey star who has a very bright future ahead of him when he has no choice but to remove his little sister from their family to be her sole caregiver. He has always helped look after her anyway but now he is responsible for prov
Jacob Proffitt
This is second in a series, though they're only tangentially related. You see Bridger in the previous book and some of those characters show up in this one (because they're his friends), but it isn't a strong presence. Some of the backstory for the friends plays a role here, though, and that may feel like something is missing. Still, you're okay starting here, if you like, I think.

I was interested to see what Bowen would do with Bridger, the player. And I was gratified to see him handled so w
Bookphenomena (Micky)
5 divine stars

This book here is how NA should be done. Perfectly developed characters, emotion, depth, feel-goodness and an unusual and unique storyline. All the love for this book and series.

Scarlett just drew me in with her situation, quite unfathomable and hideous but she had her escape plan. There were parallels between Scarlett and Bridger in how they hid their situations, different though they were. Every woman should have a Bridger, he was a whole ball of lovely wi
Holly
This book made me ugly cry. Bridger. Gah. I can't even with him.

Seriously though, Bridger was such a stand-up guy. All the sacrifices he made for his sister? He melted my heart.

Scarlett, too. It's funny how a situation can be so different than publicly perceived, especially from the inside.

Definitely a recommended read.
Amber
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this book, but ended up feeling a little disappointed. I found Bridger and Scarlet’s personal plot lines to be the most interesting parts of the story and I wish Sarina Bowen would have focused on those more.

Bridger has quit hockey, is working multiple jobs, and secretly caring for his 8 year old sister while going to school full time.

Scarlet has recently changed her name and is trying to start a new life away from the awful child molestation allegations her fat
Auntee
Fabulous story with plenty of angst and drama for both the hero (Bridger) and the heroine (Scarlet). So many secrets....
God, was I pulling for them and their growing relationship.

This series is really addicting!
Highly recommended 5 stars.
Brandi
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Katie
Okay, so I was most looking forward to reading this one because I loved the Bridger set up, but also a little nervous because of the Sandusky parallels. I couldn't handle reading those articles in real life. But the layer of fiction helped, I think. It did make me tear up at times (which almost never happens to me).

I really liked that Scarlet's roommates were both named Katie. THERE ARE A LOT OF US. But I did not like the characterization of a "Katie." By those rules, I am not a Kati
Quinn's Quippy Quotes
Re Read: Jan 2018
I think that I'm going to make it a new tradition to re read this brilliant series every even year. Why every even year? Don't know, it just worked out that way. Another home run by Sarina. I'm becoming addicted to her writing. I forsee myself binge reading a lot from her in the near future.

Original review: Feb 2016
Wow, this book, talk about incredible. The emotions that I experienced was off the charts. I don't think that I've read another book tha
Yomi M.
Rating Clarification: 3.5 stars

I thought it was a good read, not very memorable and I probably won't be picking up the first one but I did enjoy it. It was also predictable, I saw that secret coming a mile a away so there is that.
Jennifer Kyle

Blurb:

Scarlet Crowley is the only freshman at Harkness College
Meags
4 Stars

This story is a prime example of why I love NA/College romance books.

Where the first story in the Ivy Years series was light on plot and romance and was considerably angst free, this sequel had it all, with the added bonus of some impressive emotional gravitas.

Scarlett Crowley has been through hell in the past year. After her hockey star father was accused of a heinous crime, she became a social pariah in her hometown and her senior year of high school was an absolute bust. Starting her f
Ami
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I approached this one with slight trepidation. Mostly because both Scarlet and Bridger came into the relationship with a secret on their back. Scarlet is hiding her whole identity, being the daughter of a man who is allegedly accused of having sex with underage boys, which results in her being a pariah during her last year of high school. While Bridger is hiding a secret that he's been taking care of his young sister on his own because their Mom is an addict and he fears if Lucy is ...more
Taryn

The Year We Hid Away is absolutely fantastic. A must read! Another original, heartfelt read that moved me deeply.

Sarina Bowen is easily becoming a favorite author. Her writing is a pleasure to read. It's clean and effortless. Sarina's books are not like the majority of New Adult recycled reads out there. It's completely hers, and her's alone. THANK GOODNESS!

Bridger... WOW. What a guy! I take back all the negative things I have ever said about sweet heroes, because this guy tops the
Samantha Larkin
2:75 stars from me!

This was readable......but I think there was just to much going on!

Bridger have to look after his little sister! Scarlett's father being accused of child abuse! Then there's something with her uncle, it was just all a bit overkill. There wasn't really any indication about how the characters were dealing with these problems (except maybe an internal monologue or two) but that wasn't enough for me. These are big issues and should have had a bigger impact

• Laugh (Burnside, #2)
  • Make it Last (Bowler University, #3)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Running Back (New York Leopards, #2)
  • Harder (Caroline & West, #2)
  • To Professor, with Love (Forbidden Men, #2)
  • All Broke Down (Rusk University, #2)
  • Undecided (Burnham College, #1)
  • Third Degree
  • Finding Dandelion (Dearest, #2)
  • Trade Me (Cyclone, #1)
  • Loud is How I Love You (Hub City, #1)
  • Love Show
  • With the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #3)
  • Anything but Broken (Hurricane Creek, #1)
  • Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1)
  • Full Measures (Flight & Glory, #1)
  • The Girl I Was Before (Falling, #3)
sarina bowen
Sarina Bowen is the USA Today bestselling author of 30+ books, including: the True North series, and the Brooklyn Bruisers. She's the co-author of Him/Us and the WAGs series with Elle Kennedy. She's the author of The Ivy Years series, and more!
Are you looking for a friends-to-lovers story or maybe even a secret baby book? You can read a list of Sarina's books broken out by trope and style.
Need to know what's coming next ? Get all the latest news on Sarina's website, and sthethethe

The Ivy Years (6 books)
  • The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1)
  • The Understatement of the Year (The Ivy Years, #3)
  • The Shameless Hour (The Ivy Years, #4)
  • The Fifteenth Minute (The Ivy Years, #5)
  • Extra Credit: Three Ivy Years Novellas (The Ivy Years, #6)
“My trick is understanding that there aren't any tricks. You just have to wade through each moment as it comes.” 10 likes
“Thank you, Scarlet”.
“For what? For being your Tuesday and Thursday girl?”
“For all seven days. Because I think of you on all of them”.”
6 likes