Start by marking “The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1)

The Year We Fell Down

(The Ivy Years #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  21,261 ratings  ·  2,242 reviews
Alternate cover for this ASIN can be found here

The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else. What now?

She expected to start Harkness College as a varsity ice hockey player. But a serious accident means that Corey Callahan will start school in a wheelchair instead.

Across the hall, in the other handicapped-accessible dorm room, lives the too-del
Published March 20th 2014 by Tuxbury Publishing LLC

·  21,261 ratings  ·  2,242 reviews

Colleen Hoover
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was so good, I thought about plagiarizing it, but then I thought, "Nah. Better not."

Christy
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-audios
4.5 stars!

photo 320FE1C1-D06B-4EB8-8AC7-1B34F88BEF93_zpsf78h5kv1.jpg
The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else.

What now?

The Year We Fell Down is the first book in Sarina Bowen’s The Ivy Years series. It’s also the first Sarina Bowen book I’ve read. After reading, I can say for certain I’m a fan! I absolutely adored this friends to lovers college romance. Corey and Hartley were fantastic characters and their story touched me.

Corey Callahan’s entire life changed after a hockey accident left her in a wheelchair. This is
Navessa
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Navessa by: Ellie

I WOULD LOVE TO REVIEW THIS BOOK. BUT ALL I CAN COME UP WITH IS THIS:

Wendy'sThoughts
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hockey Lovers, NA Fans, Sarina Bowen Fans, Romance
Update May 2016
This was the start of my love affair with Sarina Bowen's writing and series. As you will see, it had a major impact on me with how our gal handled life and growth through adversity. We read so much and some books are for pleasure, for introspection, for things we don't even know why...
This is a book to read for all of those things... Do it and I promise you won't be sorry.

May 15, 2015
4.5 NA Gold, Pause to Make You Think Stars
* * * * 1/2
Everyday we have moments... it is up to us
Pearl Angeli

2.5 Stars

My problem with The Year We Fell Down is, I couldn't connect with the romantic aspect. The characters are actually likeable and I have no problem with that, but the way the romance was delivered, it was kinda off. I love friends-to-lovers tropes, unfortunately this one didn't get me. Perhaps it's just me but I feel no chemistry between the two.

The story centers around Corey Callahan, a college girl who became handicapped after an ice hockey accident. She met the gorgeous ice hockey pl
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4.5 Sweet HEARTS!! <3 :D

description

The Year We Fell Down is a delightful friends to lovers romance, taking all of us on a journey full of laughter and heat without weighing us down with unnecessary drama and conflict.

"The thing is, we're all fragile. It's just that most of our friends are lucky enough not to know it yet."

Corey is a young woman who continually inspires throughout with her ability to handle herself both emotionally and physically despite being paralyzed from the knees down. Th
Roksana
Spoilers Alert***********

This book was very painful to read!

photo tumblr_ms99nxCfvY1sayodwo1_500_zpsf5e20213.gif
I could not enjoy this book as much as I wanted to, because the author left for "too long" at about 75% for the hero to realized how bid of a mistake he was making by sticking out with his girlfriend. I waited and waited for him to "WAKE UP ASSHOLE" but I never got that sense from him showing the reader "his true affections" for his best friend heroine...At a very crucial points where heroes POV was to be expected to have some clarifi
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel Reads Ravenously by: Geri Reads
4.25 stars!

“Everybody has their shit to shovel, Callahan. Everybody. Now, yours is right up front where everybody can see it. I don't envy you that. But everybody has some, whether you can see it or not.”

photo year we fell down.png

After losing mobility in her legs after a tragic hockey accident college freshman Corey starts college in a wheel chair. While she isn't completely paralyzed, she uses a wheel chair and has been taking physical therapy to slowly start walking again. Corey and her roommate are placed acro
Whitney Atkinson
I read this book because Tammara Webber (author of one of my favorite healthy romances) recommended it. And the sex scenes in this book were definitely good--a lot of consent and communication--but everything around it and the entire rest of the book was messy.

Firstly, this book is ableist. I haven't been able to locate a review from an ownvoices reviewer, but I was bothered by the language of this book a lot. It's as if it's written by an able-bodied person for other able-bodied people. In oth
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5--Uplifting--Stars!!!

"The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else.

What now?"

This was a very sweet friends to lovers read! Very uplifting, very inspiring.

Callahan (Corey) is a hockey player. It's in her blood. It's her life, it's her love. Until one day, it's not. A tragic accident on the ice leaves her unable to feel her legs.

Corey is starting her freshman year of college, moving in to the wheelchair accessible dorms when she meets her neighbor Hartley (Adam).
NiCoLeTa E.
***4,5 "Hell and damn" stars from me***

This was a very beautiful and tender story...
It touched something deeply inside me and many times i thought that something get caught in my eyes!!!

This was a story about fighting and courage and bravery...
Because you have to be brave to succeed to have this kind of life that had our heroes and especially, Corey!!!

Well, Corey Callahan several months ago had an accident on ice that stucked her in a wheelchair. She used to be a hockey player and now, she is
Geri Reads
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Why oh why did it take me so long to read this one? The blurb alone has my name written on it. I loved the heroine, loved the hero, loved their friendship, the banter, Harkness...so many things about this book worked for me.

After a devastating accident, Corey is starting her freshman year at Harkness in a wheelchair. She was a varsity hockey player in high school but an accident during one of her games left her paraplegic. During her first day at Harkness, she meets Adam Hartley, star
Aestas Book Blog
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

**** FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ****

I love New Adult romance but I also love books that have really unique storylines so when I first heard about this one and saw that it fell into both those categories, I knew I had to read it.

"I never dreamed I'd show up for college in a wheelchair."

The heroine of this story, Corey, expected to start college as a varsity hockey player but an unfortunate, life-changing accident had her starting school in a wheelchair instead. Determined not to let anything pull
Sabrina

The Year We Fell Down was a unique story about two college students trying to navigate college life with their injuries. For Adam his injury is just a temporary thing, but for Corey it's now her life and she has been trying to come to terms with the fact her life will always be different now.

I did enjoy this book but I honestly liked Adam and Corey way better as just friends. I didn't see any connection between them other than one of friendship and there wasn't enough of them together in a relat
Jennifer Kyle
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 ~ 4.5 Stars

"The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else.

What now?"

description

Corey Callahan is embarking on her first year of college after an accident leaves this former girl hockey player in a wheel chair.

description

Corey not only is gifted with a terrific dorm room but a wonderful roommate and across the hall is the guy’s hockey team player Adam Hartley…Corey is in lust!

Hartley has had surgery which has left him out for the season as well as maneuvering the campus on crutches
Nikki
3 Grow A Pair Stars ------> 8===D (that's a symbol penis fyi)

Hartley, Hartley, Hartley, how would I describe you? Oh yeah.
description

Let me digress for a bit. So this story is set in college. Corey had a horrible accident leaving her partially paralyzed, and we start off by her moving to her wheelchair accessible dorm. There, across the hall, she meets Hartley, a hockey hottie who injured his leg. She is immediately enamoured with Hartley, but he is taken. Taken by a rachety ass beotch that is named S
Brandi
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Year We Fell Down is a unique friends to lovers new adult romance.

Corey Callahan, had planned on starting college as a part of the hockey team, but things don't go as planned. An accident during her senior year of high school changes everything.

Some people say that after a life-threatening event, they learn to enjoy life more. That they stop taking everything for granted.
Sometimes I
Jacqueline's Reads
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie, college, sports
4.5 Love Sarina Bowen Reads Stars

I love Sarina Bowen. I will admit, I am late to reading her books, but I’m slowly making my way through them and the Ivy Years series is slowly becoming one of my favorite NA college series. I’m reading the books out of order, but I’m making my way through them.

The Year we Fell Down has mixed reviews and because of that I didn’t want to read it. I think the reviews are valid and truthful, but it didn’t affect me like the way I thought it would. I thought I would
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I liked this one, but I've read better from Sarina Bowen. I'm hopeful that the series continues to improve. It was a little bland for me, but I saw potential there.

The narrators were good, especially the male narrator, but I thought the female narrator sounded a little old for new adult. I still think that they did a very nice job, especially with the voices for other genders.

All in all, worth the money.
NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: I've had this in my tbr pile for a long time, and thought why not? I'm glad I read it, but I'm also not going to be putting on my favorites shelf. I understood many readers frustration with how long it took for them to get together, but all-in-all that really didn't bother me that much this time. I think my biggest frustration was the lack of significant time with them as an official couple! We waited a long time to get to this little bit that was mainly focused on fami
Erth
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so nice. Like I really enjoyed reading every bit of the story. The characters were well developed and the plot was nicely laid out.

The main characters were awesome. I like how Corey dealt with her issues, it was very 'real'. I also found it refreshing that the heroine was disabled and though she had to deal with some of the stigma that comes with it she didn't let that stop her. That is what I found so truly amazing about this book and it is also the thing I look for in my heroines
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Kindle/iBooks/Kobo/B&N/Google freebie, y'all! 3/30/18

Amazon: http://geni.us/amazonfree

iBooks: http://geni.us/fdireach

Kobo: http://geni.us/fdkreach

B&N: http://geni.us/fdbreach

Google: http://geni.us/fdgreach

3.5

The writing in this one isn't as polished as some of the others I've read by Bowen and I admit the hope fairy bit was a little too reminiscent of a certain dancing goddess or whatever the fuck it was.

But I really love the way she develops a character. They all seem so real to me. J
Emer (A Little Haze)
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Nkisha
Read as part of the ABN Summer Reading Challenge recommended by Nkisha.

I don't really do NA anymore because I've gotten tired of all the problematic crap with girl hatred, alpha male BS, clichéd broken pasts that can only be cured with sex, lazy stereotyping etc etc. But this title was on a list of recommended reads with my book group this summer and I'd gotten it as a kindle special offer freebie sometime ago and I gotta admit that I enjoyed it! I switched off my brain from all the problematic
Corina
Oh, how much I loved it!!!

The entire storyline was beautiful!!

Him on crutches, her in a wheelchair and a HEA. The h was such a strong and tough character. She holds her head high and surges ahead. She was funny and strong, others might have succumbed to depression, not her. And the H was perfectly matched.

Well done!!!!

It's one of those feel-good novels. College coeds falling in love without angst and drama. Beautifully written, great dialogs, wonderful characters, superb story!!
Berit☀️✨
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really need to start paying closer attention to hockey players.....
Another fantastic series filled with good looking hockey players!!! Cory has suffered a horrible accident that has left her a paraplegic, so when she starts college she is given a accessible room... With quite an amazing roommate Dana, I needed to give that girl a huge shout out!
Anyways... Across the hall is Adam Hartley The captain of the hockey team that just so happens to have broken his leg and also needs an accessible room
Norah Una Sumner

Quick and interesting read. Still, Adam's story is...yeah, unbelievable for me. Corey is cool, though. I don't know what else to say about this book - it was an entertaining read. Yes, it had its "drama-llama" moments and some really weird relationships but I still enjoyed it. This is definitely one of those rare occasions when I don't like the hero of the story. I am getting a bit tired of the amount of unnecessary drama in NA books to be honest but I am still looking forward to readin
Hanne
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
Great book! It was unique. I loved Adam and Corey

Review to come in 2018
Melissa (Ever So Mela)

♥{Ever So Mela}♥{Bloglovin}♥{Google+}♥

2.5
This could have been great. It could have been perfect. Heck it was probably gonna get at least 4 stars outta me until it hit that 50% or so. Then it just sucked balls. But I digress. Let's start with the good.

Corey :
At times it was really hard to read this because the main character goes through a lot and it's really difficult to read about her struggles. And I mean that in a good way. The author conveyed her difficulties perfectly but also showed her
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
This was my audio read last week but I also own the e-book that I just haven’t gotten around to reading yet on my never ending TBR list. I haven’t read a good college story for a while so enjoyed being back in this setting.

Corey is just beginning her first year at College after a crippling hockey injury left her in a wheelchair eight months ago. Across the room from her is Adam Hartley, he is on crutches recovering from an accident. They already have one thing in common then.

Adam is gorgeous an
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)
This is such a sweet story. It’s a different type of sports romance where the sport of hockey is integral to the plot, and yet not a single game is played.

Corey has some insecurities as a result of being bound to a wheelchair, but she doesn’t let her disability stop her from living a full life. Her dry sense of humor and spunkiness make her quite endearing. I wish I could say the same about Hartley. He’s a dreamy book boyfriend, and I admire a man who’s faithful; however, he’s loyal to a fault.

• The Fall
  • Betraying Innocence
  • A Perfectly Split Christmas (Split #1.5)
  • Angelsong (Dark Angel, #3)
  • Gideon's Promise (Son's of Judgment, #2)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Running Barefoot
  • Crescendo
  • Vicious Prince (Violent Kingdom, #2)
  • Walking Dead Girl (Vampireland, #1)
  • Patch Up (Patch Up, #1)
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Redemptive (Combative, #2)
  • Third Degree
  • Make it Right (Bowler University, #2)
Sarina Bowen is the USA Today bestselling author of 30 books, including: the True North series, co-author of Him/Us and the WAGs series with Elle Kennedy, The Ivy Years series and the Brooklyn Bruisers. And more!
Are you looking for a friends-to-lovers story or maybe even a secret baby book? You can read a list of Sarina's books broken out by trope and style.
Need to know what's coming next ? Get

The Ivy Years (6 books)
  • The Year We Hid Away (The Ivy Years, #2)
  • The Understatement of the Year (The Ivy Years, #3)
  • The Shameless Hour (The Ivy Years, #4)
  • The Fifteenth Minute (The Ivy Years, #5)
  • Extra Credit: Three Ivy Years Novellas (The Ivy Years, #6)
“His gaze had the intensity of a laser. “But it’s not the same with you.” My heart faltered. “Why?” “Because, Callahan.” The brown eyes came closer. “I never loved anyone the way I love you.” 26 likes
“-Have I ever told you that you're beautiful?
-Any time I offer you food.
-Exactly. Gimme that.”