Start by marking “Magic Trials (Half-Blood Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic Trials (Half-Blood Academy, #1)

Magic Trials

(Half-Blood Academy #1)

The demigods can't decide if they want to screw me or kill me!

My name is Marigold. I'm a hunter living in the Great Merge - Lucifer has brought Hell to half of Earth, and four demigods rule the other half...

The smoking-hot Demigod of War, round up my team to enroll them in Half-blood Academy, aka Half-death Academy; due to the survival rate of the students....

When

Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 267 pages
Published June 6th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Magic Trials, please sign up.

Start your review of Magic Trials (Half-Blood Academy, #1)
Marguerite (M)
Shelves: _bully-romance
Rating: 5 stars

I haven't read much lately, much less RH ; I have been trying to stay away from the bully romance trope that keeps popping up every now and then.
Because of that, most of my reads have been flops. I am disheartened with cruel characters, emotionally weak heroines and sharing eagerness. The genre is becoming more boring each day, reheating one story after another and my unappreciative ass cannot help but to complain. le sigh.

But what a delight Magic Trials was! To be perfectly
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Good God. This book was bad. The demigods acted like kids and the heroine was just all over the place. What's shocking is that I got book two after experiencing all that. It's like a train crash you can't look away from.
lauren
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Down right bad

Ok, so, this book has a storyline that could be pretty freaking good, sadly the book was beyond bad with the worse childish writing skills I've ever seen! This book was beyond goofy, it was also all over the place and made no sense? The author tries making the heroine funny and super witty, strong, and super desirable, she fell through all these unfortunately, but then again the book was complete garbage so it really doesn't matter.
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
2.75 stars... Yeah, I know. Pretty hard to rate this one.

One the one hand, it was OTT dramatic, super campy, and had a hugely overblown prose style. There were also elements of insta-love and the heroine was a huge Mary Sue (every power in the universe & NATURAL LAVENDER HAIR).

On the other hand, the heroine is a strong bitch who really knows how to hold onto a grudge (she does NOT just roll over and accept the hero who mistreated her, in fact she tries to make the other heroes beat him up
Jillian
Magic Trials is book one of the Half-Blood Academy series. This book is installment style so it just randomly ends and then the next book picks up where this one left off.

This is the first book that I have read by this author and it won't be my last. I was captivated from beginning to end. I really enjoyed reading Magic Trials.

This series is reverse harem but we didn't really get the RH aspect yet from book 1. The harem has been introduced and is more of an enemies to lovers trope at present.
Tiera McMillian
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-2019
Yet another really good addition to the KU academy craze. Author Meg Xuemei X has a penchant for creating pretty captivating worlds on a dime and doesn't disappoint with her newest series starter. Really fast read, I was absorbed cover to cover. It was sassy, sarcastic, steamy, and pretty darn entertaining. The author has once again created a troublesome, hostile, give no effs FMC, though in all honesty Marigold (odd name for a heroine by w/e) seems a tad more on the balanced side than some of ...more
Cindy
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited

What a great beginning to a fascinating story. There is so much mystery surrounding Marigold. She has so much spirit and strength of character. She tells it like she sees it. I am really enjoying her antics.

The demigods are all powerful men who don't take crap from anyone yet they are taking it from her. I think she confounds and frustrates them while also getting them all hot and bothered. I am excited to red more of the series.
Mom2three
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This is going to be an amazing ride. Marigold is everything lovely. She is loyal, confident, caring, strong, fierce, capable, and mouthy. What's not to love about any of that? Her (future) men are all over the place in looks and personality, and I'm wondering how the dynamic between all of them is going to work out. The first guy we meet is Axel, the son of the God of War. He is a little bit sneaky and underhanded in the way he deals with Marigold in the beginning, but it's easy for me to ...more
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Sallie Griffin
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly expected it to be better. The writing style was a bit childlike and too sugary for my taste, despite rated-R content being in the book. But i will say I see the potential for this another to grow in future books. I unfortunately will not keep reading this series but it wasn’t a bad read. You can definitely get through it and the plot and overall story itself isn’t bad at all.
Dezi
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy Demigod! <3

I did not put this book down at all. I seriously devoured this awesome story in one sitting. I loved Marigold so much. She wouldn't let anyone keep her down and even when she didn't have control of what was going on around her, she took control! I seriously can't wait for the next book, I'm in love!
Ophelia Gunn
Aug 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
I knew it was going to be bad when (in the first chapter) the pov character’s cock hardened twice in the space of a couple minutes. I mean, if one of the love interests has problems like that it doesn’t bode well, right?

I hadn’t yet dived in to the academy craze so I thought I’d give one a try. Guess I picked the wrong one. It reads like a badly written rush job. The characters act like kids, and the heroine is one of those annoying, overpowered Mary Sues that I just want to drop kick into
Siri
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
I need the next book
Princess J. Antoinette
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!! I loved this book/series so far. I especially love the heroine who's a serious real badass!

Yes, rushing now into book 2!

Overall rating:
5* ~ Damn Good!
Delta
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Started off intresting until one of the demigods started calling her "My Cookie". Just so cringy. Gonna go puke now. DNF.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
4.5

I ended up loving this book. I'll admit, the first few chapters were a rough introduction. I was bored, thought it was cliche, and then the situation pissed me off.

But then, the humor started flowing and I dug the main character and the storyline.

Later, I started falling for some of the guys, who come across as class-A, massive douchebags at first. I figured there was no way in hell that would change, but the author surprised me. There is an exception with one of the brothers, he's still on
Linda Levine
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying this new series. I was immediately drawn to her and admired her strength considering the circumstances she finds herself. She is very protective of those she cares for and it leads her to a encounter with those she had long been warned to avoid.

Chelsey
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mixed feelings

This one is difficult to rate. On one hand I really didn't like Marigold and I got pretty fed up with the demigods treatment of her. On the other hand, I liked the plot and I gobbled the book up in one sitting. Marigold is very hard to like. She's such a brat. She doesn't ask question or try to make friends. She throws temper tantrums and expects to get her way. When that doesn't work she rages about how unfair life is. I kept reading mostly for the sexy scenes which were really
Donna
While this may be an excellent book if you LOVE this type of book, it was not the book for me. Prominent themes are "I hate you with every fiber in my being/please rip my clothes off NOW". The sexual angst continues throughout the book. Other than that, gods, demigods, witches, shape-shifters and the like fight/love/compete throughout the book. The writing may not be well-honed, but it is not terrible.

I would recommend this book to those who love stories with a LOT of sexual content, or who
Kimberly Garner
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. I am not sure how I feel about the heroine. There is being tough, take no crap, then there is just being a dumb pain in the ass, just to be stubborn. I am however intrigued by the story line. The plot is great, and I love a good paranormal romance, throw in bully, and RH, and I am down to read it. I am reading the rest of the series so we shall see what unfolds.
Yasmin
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Let me just say the story overall is good. Now on to my rant.

MC started off as a strong kick ass character that didn't take any BS. But her fighting scene showed that her pride is worth more to her than her life.

Even when her friends begged her to surrender during an unfair fighting match, Marigold just kept on going further traumatizing them. Face beaten up, Bloody, with broken bones she probably looked half dead.

Paxton is a shitty character for setting up the unfair match just to teach her a
Nikki
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
It was okay

Pretty short read, I thought it could've been longer. Loved her attitude and toughness but felt like something was missing from the story but can't put my finger on what. I'm not really dying to finish the series. It was just okay
Pixie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately drawn to the main character Marigold and admired her strength. It has an intriguing storyline where Earth is divided and being ruled by demons or gods and demigods and it is a harsh life for many who don't easily fit into one of those powerful worlds. The academy is filled with those who think they have the power of the gods in their blood.

Marigold is used to being in charge and doesn't respond well to orders at the academy. The people there don't know what to make of her and
Bee
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, this was so good that I'm writing this as I'm about to start book three. I really loved the varying characters. I also thought this plot was super interesting. I've never read a story about different gods/demons from different beliefs put into one book.
Rebekah Jays
OH MY GODS!!!

Holy wowzer Meg Xuemei X, that was incredible, I love Marigold she is so beyond fantastic and her demi God's are smoking hot hot hot !!!! I loved th uhhh s so much I also ordered the hard copy that's how freaking awesome it is.
Neha
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quick-read
It was fun and a quick read. I enjoyed reading it. I am excited to know what happened next.
Jenn
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cool series!

I’m loving this new series! It’s got bully themes but not from all the love interests. And Hèctor! Swooooon! Will definitely be reading the next!
Chelsea Murphy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love loved this book! Couldn't put it down! Now to impatiently await book 2! Highly recommend it and the other books by Meg!
Angela Armstrong
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a new author to stalk!

God's and demons, no matter how powerful they are, Marigold isn't afraid of them, she's no delicate little flower! And even himself holds no power over her. Now to find out just what she is before one side or the other use her for their ends.
Megan
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoy that with each new book world Meg Xuemei X creates she gives me a new badass female character to add to my favorites list. Marigold is definitely my new fav! Jam packed full of mystery, intrigue, action & all the beginnings of some reverse harem goodness, seriously I couldn't put this book down! I loved Book 1 in this new series && I cannot wait for book 2 ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Academy of Six (Origins of the Six, #1)
  • Spark (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #1)
  • Trials (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #2)
  • Thief (Academy of Unpredictable Magic , #3)
  • Fallen University: Year One (Fallen University, #1)
  • Control of Five (Origins of the Six, #2)
  • Half-Blood (Darkblood Academy, #1)
  • The Tracker Hive Academy: Year One (Jade Storm Tracker #1)
  • Threat (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #4)
  • Cruel Magic (Royals of Villain Academy, #1)
  • Vile Sorcery (Royals of Villain Academy, #2)
  • The Trials of Blackbriar Academy
  • Sinful as Hell (The Demon Academy #1)
  • Hunt (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #5)
  • Kissed by Wildfire (The Cimmerian Cage, #1)
  • First Term (Dragon Fire Academy #1)
  • Kissed by Moonlight (The Cimmerian Cage, #2)
  • The Bloodwood Academy Shifter: Semester One (The Bloodwood Academy #1)
Meg Xuemei X is a USA Today and Amazon Charts bestselling author of paranormal and fantasy romance. She finds it delightful to be around drop-dead gorgeous alpha males who are forever tormented by her feisty heroines, unseelie fae, dark vampires, menacing demigods, demon A-holes and fallen angels, fun shifters. and cunning witches.

She is always happy to hear from readers and welcome new friends on

Half-Blood Academy (4 books)
  • Magic Secret (Half-Blood Academy #2)
  • Magic Fury (Half-Blood Academy #3)
  • Magic Unchained (Half-Blood Academy #4)
“One did not dismiss kindness.” 0 likes