Start by marking “The Night Fire: A Ballard and Bosch Thriller” as Want to Read:
The Night Fire: A Ballard and Bosch Thriller

The Night Fire: A Ballard and Bosch Thriller

(Harry Bosch #22)

Harry Bosch and LAPD Detective Renée Ballard come together again on the murder case that obsessed Bosch's mentor, the man who trained him---new from #1 New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly

Back when Harry Bosch was just a rookie homicide detective, he had an inspiring mentor who taught him to take the work personally and light the fire of relentlessness for every
Published October 21st 2019 by Michael Connelly

To ask other readers questions about The Night Fire, please sign up.
SassafrasfromAmazon It is phenomenal. I like Titus in the Amazon series, but he a bit young. Bosch (in this book) is 70 yrs. old, but he’s still a force to be reckoned…moreIt is phenomenal. I like Titus in the Amazon series, but he a bit young. Bosch (in this book) is 70 yrs. old, but he’s still a force to be reckoned with.(less)
Nancy This is #3 of Bosch and Ballard: #1 is The Late Show, #2 is Dark Sacred Night. It is considered #32 in "Harry Bosch Universe".

Start your review of The Night Fire: A Ballard and Bosch Thriller
Liz
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Harry Bosch is one of my favorite detectives. And Renee Ballard is a worthy “partner”. The chapters alternate between the two. Here, they are re-examining a cold case from 20 years ago. Harry’s mentor has recently died. His widow found a murder book in his desk and hands it over to Harry. This is the case Harry and Renee partner on investigating. What’s unique is that it doesn’t appear the mentor had actually worked the case, either on the force or after his retirement. So, why did he have it?

O
Mandy White
The Night Fire by the brilliant Michael Connelly is the third book that sees Harry Bosch and Renee Ballard working together. Harry Bosch is without a doubt my favourite character and crime series. Harry has been working for a long time and is getting on in years so the introduction of Renee is a smart way to keep the series going. She is young and like Harry she never gives up. Harry has always believed "Everybody counts or nobody counts" and this comes through in every case that he works and he ...more
David Putnam
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to preface this one by saying I am a big Connelly fan and hold him to a higher standard. That being said; I loved this book. I think the Ballard books are an amazing shift in the series and keeps the Bosh books fresh and alive. Ballard is a strong female character who is intelligent, self-motivating and fun to follow around while she tracks down her suspects.
Another thing I find amazing about this book are the secondary investigations that have nothing to do with the main plotline.
Brenda
4.5s

The funeral for John Jack Thompson was a sad one, especially for Harry Bosch. Thompson had taught Bosch a lot over the years as his mentor; when he’d retired Bosch had kept in contact. But it was the murder book that Thompson’s widow handed Bosch after it was all over that started the collaboration between Bosch and LAPD Detective Renee Ballard as they tried to solve a cold case from over twenty years prior.

Ballard was a detective on the Late Show; midnight to dawn. It was initially a4.5s ...more
Andrew Smith
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bosch is now retired – again – and is handed a murder book by the wife of a recently deceased ex-colleague who was a mentor to him in his early days as a junior homicide detective with the LAPD. The unsolved case detailed in the file relates to the murder of a young man, some twenty years ago. Why had this file been taken home by his old friend when he retired from the force? It’s not clear, but Bosch intends to spend some time taking a look at the case, if for no other reason than to sate his c ...more
RachelW (BamaGal)
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars. Good story, well written; if a tad on the slow side until the very end. The individual cases were interesting; but none of them blew me out of the water. There were several different investigations going on, with the cold case being the primary focus; and a lot of characters to keep up with. Harry seemed to be teaching Renée some of his bad habits. What he gets away with retired might well hurt her career while on the job.

Glad we got to see some of Mickey Haller, and the a
The Real Book Spy
Connelly opens his latest novel with Harry Bosch walking across the soft cemetery grounds, his cane—aiding him during his recovery from a recent knee operation following the events of last year’s Dark Sacred Night—sinking into the grass as he approached the final resting spot of John Jack Thompson.

Back in the day, as a young detective, Bosch was trained by John Jack, who specialized in bringing young investigators along and showing them the ropes. Now, after a long and distinguished
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
You can't lose when you get Harry Bosch, Renee Ballard, and Mickey Haller all together in one book! Another awesome addition to one of my favorite series!
Anke
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sample
Apr. 19, 2019:
I'll try the sample and decide afterwards. Somehow I have the feeling as if this Ballard woman will be the equivalent to Angie from the Grant series - don't like her but she just refuses to vanish.

Oct. 22, 2019:
Ok, I tried the sample, which was good enough to buy the book:)
So, book, please do not disappoint me!!!

Nov. 1, 2019:
So, finished and I have to say, this book didn't disappoint, in fact it was a great read and I have to admit, Ballar
Rex Fuller
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wrestled with whether to even start this because I was considering giving up on the Bosch series. Glad I did read it. To me, this one is better than the last several ones in the series.

Bosch and Renée Ballard team up on disparate cases (a cold case execution in a drug bazaar, murder of a judge, and a seemingly accidental death of a homeless man – the titular “Night Fire”) that Connelly brings together very neatly. I still think Ballard is Connelly’s insurance policy, the character he
Zuzu
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Not a fan of Renee’s questionable tactics with the wire tap. The cases were okay but the coincidences were just too much to be believed. And I don’t care for “carry-over” criminals. We obviously haven’t seen the last of this one.

And please, authors, stop putting pets in books if the owners are not responsible. It drives me crazy that she has a dog she rarely spends time with.
Perry
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful, but dual stories were sparsely spread and intersect too neatly to be as veridical as most in the series of deep, hard-edged Harry Bosch novels.
Natalie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? Nobody does it better. Reading the newest Connelly book is like catching up with the family. Once again Bosch teams up with Renee Ballard and solves several cases. Without a doubt, this held my interest as I savored every page.

The cases are all fascinating and only by their diligent digging does the connection become clear. I always need logical closure in my novels and Connelly manages to pull it all together. At my age, I appreciate a senior citizen super hero, like Bosch, kne
Sue Em
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stop whatever I'm doing, the new Michael Connelly featuring Harry Bosch and Renee Ballard was just published. Put down any other book I might be reading and settle in to read the consistently best series out there. Between Bosch and Ballard, they have several cases, including the one Bosch brought to Ballard to work together. The cold case was a murder book given to him by the recent widow of his mentor from his early days on the LAPD. The question was why did he have the murder book, to solve i ...more
kartik narayanan
The Night Fire is a slightly below average Bosch novel.

This is the third team-up between Bosch and Ballard. it seems quite obvious that Bosch is on the way out and Ballard is shaping up to be his replacement.

The story has multiple cases and while these cases are fine, it does feel a bit contrived at places. Random deus ex machina that tie plot points together etc.

I liked The Night Fire but it left me nostalgic for the earliest Bosch stories which were superb
Debbie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Night Fire was my first by Michael Connelly and it was fantastic! I love a detective/police procedural and this one was so clever and twisted.

This begins with Harry Bosch, a retired detective, attending the funeral of a previous mentor in the force, John Jack Thompson. His wife hands over a murder book to Harry, that John had left for him. Renee Ballard is a current LAPD Detective and Harry approaches her to help with the cold case in the murder book, to try and solve the mystery
Donna Hines
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
"True heroes are hard to come by."
Michael Connelly knows how to stir up the action thicker than gravy as he once again proves he's the master of thrillers.
The Night Fire deals with an angry ex cop who goes on a rampage and throws a lawyer off the roof and kills founding partner or so the story goes.
The Black Widow ahhh now I might have your attention?!
Bosch and Ballard on another murder case that stemmed from the mentor's passing and the 'murder book' he left behind from
Richard White
Not as good as the Bosch series but still good.
The
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, some folks can't write a single plot line with one protagonist. Michael Connelly manages several in his newest, The Night Fire, with Bosch and Ballard doing a smooth, slow dance with crisp, strong lines that criss-cross over each other, but never get knotted up or muddied. How does he do it?

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley and to Michael Connelly for the opportunity to read and review this title. Such a pleasure to read! #NightFire #Netgalley
Liz
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid American crime novel from Michael Connelly. This one sees the ageing Harry Bosch teaming up with Detective Renée Ballard to solve a couple of crimes that, despite being committed many years apart, are cleverly linked together. Bosch and Ballard work well together, I like the friendship and trust that is growing between them and the insights into their personal lives. Looking forward to them solving more crimes next year.
Christian Duchateau
Best Bosch & Ballard team-up yet!
MicheleReader
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 round up
The addition of Detective Renee Ballard to the already wonderful Harry Bosch series has been a great move. She’s smart, an outsider and is the perfect unofficial partner for Harry. The unsolved crimes in this book make for an interesting and fast moving read. Fans of this enjoyable series will love this one. Well done!
(I liked how the author dedicated the book to Titus Welliver, the excellent actor who portrays Bosch in the Amazon Prime series. This is one of the best TV adapt
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Excellent !!!!!!

My View:
Could this possibly be the best Bosch book yet? I think I am calling it.

This is a fantastic read, with several plot lines that intersect allowing the characters of Ballard and Bosch to shine as they go about solving crimes with their personal credo "everybody counts or nobody counts". You can’t beat a Michael Connelly novel for character driven plots, complex cases and mysteries that will always keep you guessing.

Can’t wait to read what next years book
Rosemary
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read THE NIGHT FIRE in two days--it was that good. Harry Bosch and Renée Ballard work together with synergy on a cold case inherited from a Harry's recently-deceased mentor, a suspicious of a homeless man by arson, a case tried by Mickey Haller, the "Lincoln Lawyer" and Harry's half-brother.
(I received pre-publication access thanks to NetGalley.)
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
The fun of reading a police procedural novel comes from discovering every bit of information at the same time the characters do. With that in mind, I won't include anything about plot here.

I haven't been as taken with the Ballard series as I am with the long-running Bosch series, but I liked the second one well enough, so I was happy to dip into this third installment. I was delighted to discover that Harry Bosch plays a prominent role in this story. He's coming up on seventy years old, getting
Noah Goats
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever a new Bosch novel comes out I drop whatever else I'm reading and tear into it. I love Bosch, and Connelly's novels are always exciting. The Night Fire is no exception, but I do have a handful of issues with it, and I don't feel like its the author's best. In his Ballard novels, Connelly tends to get distracted with chapters that stray from the main plot. In this one, for example, there's a chapter dedicated to an 11 year old girl who has apparently committed suicide. I didn't like that ...more
Jen Ryland
I've been a Connelly super-fan for so, so long. Some of his books are truly brilliant, some are great, and some are just okay. (He's written so many books that he can't be on 100% of the time.)

I see a lot of 5 star ratings for this but for me, this was like a 3.5-3.75. It involved a lot of small cases, which didn't give the book much of a sense of urgency. They're nicely woven together but it's just a lot of police procedural. It's probably very accurate as to what police work is lik
Kay
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Night Fire is the best one since the introduction of Renee Ballard. I did enjoy the mysteries both of cold case and the current ones. I wish there were more Bosch and Haller but it is what it is.
Adam Clark

It's always hard to review a book by one of your favorite authors. Taken on their own, even the “lesser” books are still good, solid entertainment. But when compared with the best, it can feel like quite a letdown.

The Night Fire wasn't bad. I enjoyed it. Just not as much as Connelly's previous six or seven novels.

Connelly is a master at weaving together disparate narratives into an extremely satisfying whole. But this one felt at times like “Connelly light”.

The
Chelsie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelves
I love Harry Bosch! Him and Renee partner up on a cold case from a few decades ago. Meanwhile Renee is fighting to prove herself and keep her own cases, she’s the one doing all the work. She should get the credit. I love how he writes these two together, and also slips Slick Mick in.
Semifinal Round
2,431,114 Votes Cast

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Guardians
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Stealth (A Stone Barrington Novel)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • One Good Deed
  • The Poison Garden
  • A Small Town
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teachers was novel

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10)
“his clerk gave the name Clayton Manley to” 0 likes