Start by marking “The Word-Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Word-Keeper

The Word-Keeper

What would happen if words disappeared forever?

An engaging and important middle-grade fantasy about the importance of language, and the need to defend it.

"Please was the first word to die and with it, good manners were gone and, out of the blue, everybody began to forget how to be polite. Then promise was killed and instantly people found it hard to remember the importance
Published May 29th 2019 by Silverwood Books

To ask other readers questions about The Word-Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word-Keeper

Start your review of The Word-Keeper
Whispering Stories
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Eleven-year-old Florence Ibbot is off to her favourite place, the town of Inkwell where her Grandfather runs the local book store. Florence is a very lovely young girl who adores reading and words. She is an only child and her parents are lecturers and rarely ever at home.

The town of Inkwell is an unusual place with its feather field that makes you lose time, drumming Wombats, and pushy plum trees that talk to you all about how plums are the best fruit i
Dash fan
4☆ A Whimsical Adventure, Perfect for Middle Grade Readers who love Fairytale/Fantasy Reads!

The Word-Keeper is a beautifully charming and whimsical Adventure of a young girl and her passion for words and her determination to save them.

Florence Ibbot is a very special young girl, she is very clever, has a passion for words and a wit that can outsmart her school bullies and for that I couldn't be prouder of her!

Florence doesn't fit in at school as the other children don't understand her quirky wa
Rosemary Standeven
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely, imaginative book for children about the importance of words:
“thanks to you [words], human beings can think and talk and understand the world around them. … People can’t say what they are feeling without you. No one would be able to make a promise or argue their point or congratulate someone on doing a good job.”
“The words we use shape our world. They are the bricks with which we build our days. So if you have a choice, why choose saying an ugly word that will make you feel
Anna || BooksandBookends
The concept for this book was superb, it's different from other middle grade books, which may be exactly what some young readers are desperately looking for. The story reminded me somewhat of Chris Colfer's Land of Stories series and Alice in Wonderland, but without the fairytale aspects.

Florence possessed an unusual verbal extravagance, putting to good use words like debacle or conundrum or bodacious. But this also made her a lonely girl, for not many of the other kids understood what she was s
Shell Louise
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story and I'm hoping to share it with my 12-year-old daughter, it's been a while since we've read together and I think this would be a good one for us to share.
My full review is on my blog https://www.shelllouise.co.uk/2019/07...
Marie-Helene Fasquel
Thank you so much for this amazing fantasy children’s book (for middle grade students)!
It is literature at its best: a fabulous and original plot (words are disappearing because of an evil genie), it is the modern-day quest of a young girl, eager to save words and books, it is also the story of weird and adorable characters (her parents are mostly interested in maths and leave her be while they are working, going to meetings, her granddad leaves in Inkwell, a magical place where a nice genie, u
Charlotte
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quirky but powerful first novel from Veronica Del Valle. This tells the journey of Florence and her annual trip to Inkwell. However this year holds something more.
Elements of it reminded me of Alice in Wonderland: a young female protagonist set in faraway lands. That said, it has its own sparkle of originality.
This is a great read for young and older readers, especially for lovers of the chosen one trope.
I liked the simple but bright cover and etched illustrations inside. I wish there
Danielle Wood
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful book! I honestly think it could have been longer. I would have liked to see the story and characters developed just a little bit more ... but I’m also coming off reading a series with 4+ books in it, so maybe I’m just in that mood! The use of language in this book was amazing. It was an enjoyable read!
Robyn
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with this book! From the beginning it reminded me of a fable, and I love how traditional fable elements were woven into what I assume is the present time. From crossing treacherous terrain to battling demons (of our own creation?), this book was a masterful work of art.
Clare
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet mid-grade novel set in the secret, magical town of Inkwell. Told with beautiful prose, The Wordkeeper is a fairy tale style adventure about a living book mark who metamorphoses into an evil imp intent on destroying the words inside books. The protagonist, Florence, finds herself faced with the challenge of protecting all language. An enjoyable read.
Maria Sinclair
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although The Word-Keeper is aimed at readers from the pre-teen market, there are important messages for all ages, from the consideration of the words we use, and the good or harm they can do, through to the way that Florence herself deals with her bullies at school. In light of the times we find ourselves in, this book felt incredibly relevant, and should be on all school reading lists to help children understand the power of the language they use.

The language of this book was so wonderful and j
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A creative fantasy suitable for middle grade and above. Florence Ibbot is born to logical, genius parents. Her area of expertise is words. For a while each year she visits and stays with her grandfather in Inkwell, a magical place. To get there she must travel through some other wondrous places. As she does so, she makes friends with some amazing people and creatures.
In Inkwell she gets to spend time in her grandfather's book store. One day disaster strikes and all the words, in books and more,
Felicity Terry
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! Considering this is marketed as being particularly suitable for pre- teenage readers it certainly has some universal themes; the relevance of the words we choose, the consideration of when and how we use them, the power they hold to do harm or good ... all of which it could be argued have never been more relevant a message (and not just to children) than it is today.

A modern day quest of a heroine out to save words. The 'normal every day' world and the magical co-existing side by side.

The W
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
I was intrigued by the concept of this book, hoping for something that does for language and words what Flatland did for two dimensional shapes and maths. The Word-Keeper, written by Veronica del Valle, traipsed along at too slow a pace, until the last few chapters. While the various tradespeople of Inkwell interested me, Florence’s roundabout journey to Inkwell didn’t, and my mind had trouble sticking with what I was reading.

It’s certainly a less traditional approach to contemporary middle gra
Shiraz
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept behind this story is lovely and the book has some charms, particularly in terms of the vocabulary used and the way in which the joy of words is conveyed as beyond simple meaning. This is the story of Florence, a young girl who must become the new Word-Keeper to save language from being destroyed. I wanted to like this book much more than I actually did. There's a fantasy world set up, but not much attention really given to it and thus leading to questions about plotting and rhythm. W ...more
Steph Warren
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free ARC of this book with thanks to the author and Rachel Gilbey at Rachel’s Random Resources blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

If this book had been around when I was a child, I would have read it again and again, until I practically knew it by heart! As it is, in adulthood I merely think it is wonderful!

Florence doesn’t really fit in at school, or even at home very much. Her facility with words makes her extraordinary and yet she always feels like th
Gmr
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Florence is certainly a one of a kind leading lady, but so is this story, so one befits the other. I found her strong of heart with an iron will, despite the unknown weighing heavily upon her. The magic she unknowingly poured into a little bookmark simply goes to show the depths to which she feels, knows, and loves. The responsibility she felt for not only the townspeople, but ALL the words in general, revealed her caring nature and proved that the genies of old knew a thing or two about who the ...more
Jessica Bronder
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Florence Ibbot is a wonderful 12 year old that just doesn’t fit in at school. Her love of books and use of words make her a target for bullies. The place she does fit in is Inkwell, the magical town that her Grandpa runs a book store in. But when she gets there she notices that something is wrong. Words are disappearing and it’s going to be up to Florence and her Grandpa to help save Inkwell.

Poor Florence is such a wonderful young lady and is full of knowledge. I loved her use of big words but a
Diana Burton
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Florence is so excited to spend time in Inkwell with her grandfather. Her parents are math people but Florence loves words. Once in Inkwell she makes a bookmark which comes to life. Unfortunately an evil genie takes control of Ben the bookmark during each new cycle of the moon and he turns into an imp. Once Florence and others in the village discover that the imp is destroying books, words, and language they try to figure out how to stop him. In doing so Florence learns of an old rivalry and a n ...more
Kristina
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Genre: Middle Grade, Magical Realism

This was a cute story of Florence, who is basically a walking dictionary. She visits grandfather's home and encounters many fantastical elements on her journey. I enjoyed the whimsical elements in this story- particularly how each chapter was entitled "Within the Walls of Chapter #". This would have been a favorite had I read it when I was in the target age group, but still found it fun as an adult.

I received a free PDF of this book from NetGalley in exchange
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
I was intrigued by the concept of this book, hoping for something that does for language and words (in some small way) what Flatland did for two dimensional shapes and maths. The Word-Keeper, written by Veronica del Valle, traipsed along at too slow a pace, until the last few chapters. While the various tradespeople of Inkwell interested me, Florence’s roundabout journey to Inkwell didn’t, and my mind had trouble sticking with what I was reading.

It’s certainly a less traditional approach to cont
Michelle
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
This book teaches us the importance of language. I am exceptionally glad that this is a book geared towards middle-schoolers, as I feel that they could benefit from this fantastic fantasy.
RavenclawLibraryBooks
This was a very enjoyable read and the protagonist was very likable! It's a very recommended middle grade book. A tale of bravery, of the love of words and of their importance in our daily lives.

Thanks to Cameron Publicity & Marketing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book. My review is honest and unbiased.
MayorEmma
I received an arc of this book on netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was kind of flat in my opinion, but it might be good for younger readers who are ready to tackle a chapter book but don't want too much ''scary'' or ''bad'' things in it.
nicola mckenna
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the author, publisher and Rachel from Rachel’s random resources for this book in return for my own honest review.

This is a powerful book all about the power of words and language.

Florence Iboot is an eleven year old book worm who travels to inkwell, a place where her grandfather lives.

When words start to disappear from books, Florence must find out the solution to the puzzle with the help of her friends before it’s too late.

This is a book that 11 years and older would enjoy, and also a
Annamaria
📚 POPSUGAR | Reading Challenge 2019: A book that's published in 2019 ...more
Annette Jordan
A clever and magical story about the importance of words and language, this is a beautiful book aimed at the middle grade reader, and an impressive debut by author Veronica Del Valle. The setting for the story is the magical village of Inkwell , and our heroine is prodigy and schoolgirl extraordinaire Florence Ibbot . Every year she travels to Inkwell to stay with her Grandfather, and the first thing they do is go to his bookshop so she can choose new books to love. When her bookmark comes to li ...more
Alex Roark
Jun 07, 2019
Dagney Crow
Jun 11, 2019
Mary Rees
Feb 21, 2020

• Brittle's Academy
  • You're in Good Paws
  • Have You Eaten Grandma?
  • The Couch Potato
  • The Element in the Room: Investigating the Atomic Ingredients that Make Up Your Home
  • Tidelands (Fairmile #1)
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • Square
  • Sparky the Dragon Bus
  • The New Guy
I’m Vee (very formally known as Veronica Del Valle)

I’ve always had fondness for words, language and the magic of storytelling, though I didn't really want to be a writer.

But as it turned out, about 9 years ago I started writing fiction by accident and now I can’t imagine doing anything else.

I grew up in Argentina, but life eventually led my to live in London, the city that was my home for many ye