Start by marking “The Word-Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Word-Keeper

The Word-Keeper

What would happen if words disappeared forever?

An engaging and important middle-grade fantasy about the importance of language, and the need to defend it.

"Please was the first word to die and with it, good manners were gone and, out of the blue, everybody began to forget how to be polite. Then promise was killed and instantly people found it hard to remember the importance
Published May 29th 2019 by Silverwood Books

To ask other readers questions about The Word-Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word-Keeper

Shell Louise
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story and I'm hoping to share it with my 12-year-old daughter, it's been a while since we've read together and I think this would be a good one for us to share.
My full review is on my blog https://www.shelllouise.co.uk/2019/07...
Marie-Helene Fasquel
Thank you so much for this amazing fantasy children’s book (for middle grade students)!
It is literature at its best: a fabulous and original plot (words are disappearing because of an evil genie), it is the modern-day quest of a young girl, eager to save words and books, it is also the story of weird and adorable characters (her parents are mostly interested in maths and leave her be while they are working, going to meetings, her granddad leaves in Inkwell, a magical place where a nice genie, u
Charlotte
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quirky but powerful first novel from Veronica Del Valle. This tells the journey of Florence and her annual trip to Inkwell. However this year holds something more.
Elements of it reminded me of Alice in Wonderland: a young female protagonist set in faraway lands. That said, it has its own sparkle of originality.
This is a great read for young and older readers, especially for lovers of the chosen one trope.
I liked the simple but bright cover and etched illustrations inside. I wish there
Danielle Wood
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful book! I honestly think it could have been longer. I would have liked to see the story and characters developed just a little bit more ... but I’m also coming off reading a series with 4+ books in it, so maybe I’m just in that mood! The use of language in this book was amazing. It was an enjoyable read!
Robyn
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with this book! From the beginning it reminded me of a fable, and I love how traditional fable elements were woven into what I assume is the present time. From crossing treacherous terrain to battling demons (of our own creation?), this book was a masterful work of art.
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
I was intrigued by the concept of this book, hoping for something that does for language and words what Flatland did for two dimensional shapes and maths. The Word-Keeper, written by Veronica del Valle, traipsed along at too slow a pace, until the last few chapters. While the various tradespeople of Inkwell interested me, Florence’s roundabout journey to Inkwell didn’t, and my mind had trouble sticking with what I was reading.

It’s certainly a less traditional approach to contemporary middle gra
Shiraz
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept behind this story is lovely and the book has some charms, particularly in terms of the vocabulary used and the way in which the joy of words is conveyed as beyond simple meaning. This is the story of Florence, a young girl who must become the new Word-Keeper to save language from being destroyed. I wanted to like this book much more than I actually did. There's a fantasy world set up, but not much attention really given to it and thus leading to questions about plotting and rhythm. W ...more
Kristina  Wilson
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Genre: Middle Grade, Magical Realism

This was a cute story of Florence, who is basically a walking dictionary. She visits grandfather's home and encounters many fantastical elements on her journey. I enjoyed the whimsical elements in this story- particularly how each chapter was entitled "Within the Walls of Chapter #". This would have been a favorite had I read it when I was in the target age group, but still found it fun as an adult.

I received a free PDF of this book from NetGalley in exchange
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
I was intrigued by the concept of this book, hoping for something that does for language and words (in some small way) what Flatland did for two dimensional shapes and maths. The Word-Keeper, written by Veronica del Valle, traipsed along at too slow a pace, until the last few chapters. While the various tradespeople of Inkwell interested me, Florence’s roundabout journey to Inkwell didn’t, and my mind had trouble sticking with what I was reading.

It’s certainly a less traditional approach to cont
Michelle
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
This book teaches us the importance of language. I am exceptionally glad that this is a book geared towards middle-schoolers, as I feel that they could benefit from this fantastic fantasy.
RavenclawLibraryBooks
This was a very enjoyable read and the protagonist was very likable! It's a very recommended middle grade book. A tale of bravery, of the love of words and of their importance in our daily lives.

Thanks to Cameron Publicity & Marketing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book. My review is honest and unbiased.
MayorEmma
I received an arc of this book on netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was kind of flat in my opinion, but it might be good for younger readers who are ready to tackle a chapter book but don't want too much ''scary'' or ''bad'' things in it.
Annette Jordan
A clever and magical story about the importance of words and language, this is a beautiful book aimed at the middle grade reader, and an impressive debut by author Veronica Del Valle. The setting for the story is the magical village of Inkwell , and our heroine is prodigy and schoolgirl extraordinaire Florence Ibbot . Every year she travels to Inkwell to stay with her Grandfather, and the first thing they do is go to his bookshop so she can choose new books to love. When her bookmark comes to li ...more
Alex Roark
Marie Ange
Jun 20, 2019
Asriani
Jul 07, 2019
I’m Vee (very formally known as Veronica Del Valle)

I’ve always had fondness for words, language and the magic of storytelling, though I didn't really want to be a writer.

But as it turned out, about 9 years ago I started writing fiction by accident and now I can’t imagine doing anything else.

I grew up in Argentina, but life eventually led my to live in London, the city that was my home for many ye