Start by marking “State of Treason (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
State of Treason (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 1)

State of Treason (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 1)

"A gripping and evocative page-turner that vibrantly brings Elizabeth's London to life." Steven Veerapen, author of A Dangerous Trade

London 1578 - a cauldron of conspiracy, intrigue and torture.

The might of Spain and the growing influence of the Catholic League in France all threaten the stability of Queen Elizabeth and her state.

William Constable, a physician and

Published May 20th 2019 by Sharpe Books

To ask other readers questions about State of Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of Treason

Start your review of State of Treason (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 1)
Beata
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A satisfying read set in the Tudor period, with a range of characters that are well-developed. The central plot evolves around a rumour which circulated during the reign of Elizabeth I concerning her alleged child whose very existence might generate turmoil and upheaval in the kingdom. Sir Francis Walsingham acquires the services by William Constable, a doctor with interests in astrology and navigation, to work together with John Foxe, the author of The Book of Martyrs, and try to solve the ...more
Blaine DeSantis
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good first novel in the William Constable Spy series. Thanks to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for a free copy of this book in return for an honest review. A very interesting book that takes us back to medieval England during the Reign of Elizabeth and a potential plot to try and overthrow the monarchy. Out of nowhere William Constable, an astrologer and physician, is brought in to decipher a code found in and on and box taken from a Papist enemy of England. He is also thrust into dealing ...more
Sarah-Hope
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
State of Treason is a satisfying historical mystery with a kindness at its heart that is rare in this genre. The central character, astrologer/physician William Constable, finds himself part of a team led by Francis Walsingham that is racing to end a Catholic plot to destabilize Elizabeth I's England. The central mystery is satisfyingly complex, but what really pleases is Constable himself. He is unfailingly kind to hid invalid mother and, over the course of the novel, offers refuge to other ...more
Kathy
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sixteenth Century England comes to life with this wonderfully engrossing tale of a doctor called upon by Sir Francis Walsingham, Elizabeth's spymaster, for assistance in uncovering a complicated conspiracy against the Queen. He must decipher coded messages hidden within a strange box, working with another man. Real figures from history are portrayed believably in a narrative by the doctor, William Constable. They include Puritan John Foxe and Doctor Dee, Elizabeth's favored astrologer.

I look
Blaine DeSantis
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jypsy
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you HFVBT and the author for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

State of Treason
William Constable Spy Thriller Series #1
By: Paul Walker

*REVIEW*
During the latter half of the sixteenth century, Elizabeth I was a formidable queen, and woman at that, over the whole of England. Conspiracy theories and superstition signs lurked around every turn. Elizabeth's spymaster, Sir Francis Walsingham, enlists the help of a doctor and astrologer,
Krista
Rating: 3.5 stars rounded down to 3 stars

This is an interesting start to a new historical mystery series. The author, Paul Walker, introduces us to our hero, William Constable. It is 1578 London, and Constable is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades. He is a physician, and astrologer, and a nautical engineer. He unexpectedly receives a summons from Queen Elizabeth’s spymaster, Francis Walshingham. He is asked to collaborate with John Foxe to quash a rumor that Queen Elizabeth had a child out of wedlock
Mary Yarde
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

“The thought that our Queen may have hidden a child is disturbing and I understand why enemies of our state would wish to spread such ideas...”

A Virgin Queen? Rumour has it that Elizabeth’s reputation is not so white as she would have her subjects believe. Behind closed doors, there is talk of a bastard child — a maid. Such talk is dangerous, but if it were to be proven true, then Elizabeth’s position as Supreme Governor of the English Protestant Church would be undermined. But worse than that,
Jacqui Huntley
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, intriguing and compelling story of Elizabethan England. Politics and intrigue abound as do occasional murders not to forget the highly evocative sights and smells of 16th century dockland and Court of London. I love the language and the characters - they seem so of their time and it's clear that the author has done a great deal of research about the period (or has a time machine). Our hero, William Constable, is a young physician, astrologer and scientist brought to offices of the ...more
Mr Lindsay Gaskin
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling and engaging

A tale that really draws you into the world of espionage at a time when it was struggling with powerful religious forces and political intrigue.
Svetlana Tishchenko
A very masterfully written novel. The language is created so arfully that one can feel the draft of the stone palace corridors and smell the candle fires of the times of Elizabeth I.
State of Treason is a mystery, suspense, political and historical drama all wrapped into one. A scholar is called to the Whitehall in the middle of the night. Is he called not to be seen again? Is he going to be tortured and executed like his friend from youth whose corpse still hands in the wind in the town square?
Seamus Martin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Text excellent and of its time

I like this period in English history and the description of life at the time especially the interwoven historical facts . It's in the style made popular by Hillary Mantel and the Shardlake series .
Pianolady
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Got me hooked early on

The language and descriptions take you straight into Elizabethan London and make you feel part of the plot that takes shape. Liked the way romantic interest was handled and the twist at the end leaves you wanting more. References to actual characters, events and practices in 16th century England add to the interest. Will look out for the next in the series.
Paul Gormley
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
For fans of Shardlake and Giordano Bruno. Elizabeth is on the throne but the plotting against her continues and William Constable is tasked by Walsingham with uncovering the plotters.

This is an entertaining novel, although rather slow paced. The evocation of Tudor London is vibrant and the characters are well rounded and their relationships convincing.

The next in the series is scheduled for later in 2019 and is much anticipated. A strong debut.
David Fitz-Gerald
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An adventurous intelligencer

State of Treason is set in London, England, in the year 1578. The Virgin Queen, Elizabeth the first is 45-years old, and twenty years into her reign. It seems, perhaps, there could be a plot involving the monarch.

This book is written in the present tense and the first person. The author assumes the identity of William Constable, a fictional mathematician, astrologer, physician, herbalist, and physik, as in physics. He speaks and writes Latin, Greek, French, and
gwendalyn _books_
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.
William Constable, a physician and notable astrologer, finds himself woken up and taken to Whitehall in the middle of the night. Summoned by the Queen of England’s principal secretary, the notorious Spymaster himself, Sir Francis Walsingham.Walsingham’s ruthless zeal to counter any uprise of Catholicism, sanctioned the torture and killings
Amy Bruno
An intriguing Historical Mystery set during the reign of Elizabeth I, State of Treason is the first book in Paul Walker's William Constable Spy series.

When William Constable, an astrologer and physician, is called into Sir Walsingham's office he's not sure why someone so prominent in Elizabeth I's court would want to meet with him. As he states in the book: "What could Master Secretary want of me; a scholar of no great reputation and only moderate wealth?"

Walsingham shows him a mysterious box
Nursebookie
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
State of Treason by Paul Walker, a first book of the William Constable Soy Thriller Series

I enjoyed this Historical Fiction with a mystery, thriller and espionage component set in the Elizabethan era. This is my favorite epoch in time in the Tudor timeline. The story begins in 1578, where a plot to overthrow Queen Elizabeth I is on foot. I love reading about this period for its renaissance revival, advancements of the time such as the British naval force which starts to triumph over Spain.

This
Liberty Ireland Historical Graffiti
This is a book that is so well written that I'd have loved to have been listening to an audio version of it. When I closed my eyes, I could smell the musty corridors, feel the heat from the dripping tapers, and almost taste the mulled wine. What a great introduction to the World of Elizabeth I!

I'm not as well read about Elizabeth the Firsts reign as I'd like so I found this quite interesting although a bit slow at times. This is a historical drama with political intrigue, mystery, and suspense
RavenclawLibraryBooks
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

William Constable, a physician and astrologer, finds himself summoned by Sir Francis Walsingham. Walsingham enlists Constable to work with the renowned author of the Book of Martyrs, John Foxe. Their aim is to discover the meaning of a star chart discovered in an ornately decorated box. Working together they uncover a claim that Queen Elizabeth has a
Susan
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
1578. Doctor William Constable, physician and an astrologer, is ordered to a meeting with Sir Francis Walsingha,. Walsingham is the Queen Elizabeth I's spymaster. Here he is told that he will help John Foxe is solving the puzzle of a cabinet containing an astrological chart and coded message. Leading to the Astrological Conspiracy.
An interesting and enjoyable historical Tudor thriller, with its well-drawn characters. A very good start to the series which kept my interest right to the end.
A
Mrs. A.A. Williams
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Intrigue and treason at the Tudor Court.

William Constable a doctor, is commissioned by Frances Walsingham to look into a treasonous astrological prophecy concerning the death of Queen Elizabeth Tudor. It is an interesting and exciting novel of religious and political turmoil and intrigue and would appeal to Hilary Mantel fans.
Zoe L.
Feb 03, 2020 added it
I have to say that this book hooked me right from the start! Sometimes I find that books set in this time are difficult to read, but State of Treason was instantly engaging. Political intrigue, spy masters, and conspiracy theories are aplenty in this story. This first book in the William Constable series is focused on the rumor of Queen Elizabeth having a secret bastard child.

When William finds himself summoned by the Queen’s very own spymaster he knew that he would have to tread carefully. And
Roger
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A delight to read, it drops you into Elizabethan London and I loved the little details of how uncomfortable and miserable just getting through simple tasks could be. Very well told and runs at a pace. I shall look out for others by this writer.
Peter Underwood
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good historical drama

Perhaps not Sansom but a good trip of the Tudor period. Focuses on secondary rather than primary historical figures and hence from doing so.
I will look for more
Helen Hollick
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"This was a fascinating novel, the alchemy of the combined astronomical and medical detail worked well for a thriller that oozed Tudor espionage"

#DDRevs Historical Fiction Reviews
Haydn Pope
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A good historical novel.

This was an interesting read, but I did find it a little confusing at times. A view of a middle class family in the Middle Ages was offered.

Caroline
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully riveting and detailed book on the Elizabethan Era!! Highly recommend!
Adeola
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
highly entertaining and quite credible

it is always fun to read a book and feel that you are getting a window into history. I found the book very enjoyable.
Adrian Robinson
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Period piece

A nice evocation of intrigue in Elizabethan times. A little slow to start but worth sticking with and delivers a good resolution.

• The Bastille Spy (Revolution Spy #1)
  • The Serpent's Mark (Nicholas Shelby, #2)
  • Divided Loyalties (An Elizabethan Spy Thriller Book 2)
  • Revolt (The King's Knight, #1)
  • The Players' Boy Is Dead (Joan & Matthew Stock, #1)
  • Treason (The King's Knight, #2)
  • The Bear Pit (Damian Seeker, #4)
  • Wolf of Wessex
  • Blood on the Stone
  • A Dangerous Trade: An Elizabethan Spy Thriller
  • The Black Friar (Damian Seeker, #2)
  • The Last of Days
  • Destroying Angel (Damian Seeker #3)
  • Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton, #3)
  • Three Score and Ten: A Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mystery (Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mysteries Book 9)
  • A Verse To Murder (Tom Musgrave Series Book 5)
  • Katherine: Tudor Duchess (Brandon Trilogy, #3)
  • The Devil's Recruit (Alexander Seaton  #4)