Welcome! It looks like you still need
to set up your Goodreads account.
Start by marking “Redhead by the Side of the Road” as Want to Read:

Redhead by the Side of the Road

From the beloved and best-selling Anne Tyler, a sparkling new novel about misperception, second chances, and the sometimes elusive power of human connection.

Micah Mortimer is a creature of habit. A self-employed tech expert, superintendent of his Baltimore apartment building, cautious to a fault behind the steering wheel, he seems content leading a steady, circumscribed
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Knopf Publishing Group

Availability: 10 copies available, 3042 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 08 - Mar 07, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Redhead by the Side of the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redhead by the Side of the Road

Start your review of Redhead by the Side of the Road
    Angela M
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    As a long time fan of Anne Tyler, I was excited to read an advanced copy of her newest novel which takes us back to her beloved Baltimore with another quirky character and I wasn’t disappointed. I couldn’t help but root for Micah Mortimer in spite of his idiosyncrasies. He has a girlfriend that he can’t bring himself to call girlfriend at his age of 44, but a “lady friend”. He has a family filled with sisters and their husbands and children . Yet, from the beginning, Micah in his neat, routine ...more
    Jill
    Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Anne Tyler has the uncanny ability to hold a mirror up to the world, exposing us to all our foibles and strangeness and disconnections, and giving us the power to love ourselves anyway.

Witness her latest character, Micah Mortimer. Any technophobe (or anyone who has rolled his or her eyes at a relative or friend who is techno-intolerant) will chortle with recognition at this self-employed “Tech Hermit” who has authored a book titled, “First, You Plug It In.” In ways, he is not unlike Macon Leary
    Tammy
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
    “Perception is reality.” I think that statement is debatable but Tyler’s novel is very much about perception and how our reality can change on a dime. A middle-aged man lives his life by adhering to a strict schedule that borders on the ritualistic. An event causes him to reassess his life choices with the corresponding discomfort. Here, too, Tyler excels at taking the quotidian and turning into to something interesting. Deceptively simple, this novel is much more than sum of its parts although ...more
    Toni
    Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020-arcs
    Review to follow; closer to publish date ~ April 2020. I'll be back.
    Request on Netgalley now.
    Mary Lins
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: complete
    Full disclosure, and borrowing from Stephen King’s “Misery” – but not in a CREEPY way - I’m Anne Tyler’s biggest fan. I think she’s the Jane Austen of our time. So it’s no surprise that I was poised to love her newest novel, “Redhead by the Side of the Road”, and love it I did! I read it in one day with that familiar push-pull of wanting to both devour and savor…think of a thick slice of your favorite cheesecake.

Micha Mortimer is a 40-something handy man with a “side gig” called The Tech Hermit
    Jaclyn Crupi
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Anne Tyler is one of my favourite writers and I’ve read every book she’s published (this is her twenty-third). It’s a gorgeous character study of a 40-something man stuck in his own life. I loved Micah Mortimer and his seemingly quiet life that Tyler bursts open with humanity and love. Such a beautifully light touch from Tyler here.
    Janet
    When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

From the beloved and
    Sally Stieglitz
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I am a big Anne Tyler fan, but I didn't connect much with this slow moving novel about a middle aged handyman/computer tech who navigates through life on a routine until he finds that tried and true routine is no longer working for him. The character, Micah, has the same internal voice, it seems to me, as the main character in Tyler's previous book, The Clock Winder, only that character was older and female. It just rang false to me that that a 40-ish man in 2019 had these quaint expressions and ...more
    Candace
    Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
    "Redhead by the Side of the Road" came to such an abrupt end that I thought there must be a mistake and I was only sent an excerpt to review. The novel is building up in the classic Anne Tyler fashion of carefully inspooling each character and showing us their foibles and loveability, but then . . .the end, just as I was getting into it and seeing all the directions the story could go.

What there is in "Redhead" is a good start, there just needed to be more. Please.

3.5 stars.

~~Candace Siegle,
    Emily
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: giveaways
    I received this advanced reader copy from the publisher via Goodreads.

People love Anne Tyler, and so far, the two books I've read/listened to from her make me feel like I'm missing the point. I feel like everything the story is telling is so subtle that I'm missing it. Or maybe that's the point and the beauty of it? I have no idea.

This was a short book, about Micah Mortimer. A simple, routine oriented man. He has a girlfriend, but the relationship doesn't seem like anything special. He has his
    bookmammal
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Probably more like a 3.5. Loved the characters, but I wanted to see more of them! Felt like the ending came abruptly and too soon. A quick, quirky read that you can read and enjoy in a day or two.
    Julie Toole
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
    James Beggarly
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    After twenty plus books, it’s like spending time with an old friend as soon as you open one of her books. A friend who has the sharpest eye and a wonderful sense of humor. Micah, a man in his early forties, who comes from a messy and loud family of four sisters, has done everything he can to lead a quiet and neat life. It’s fun to watch life start to come at Micah and to see how he deals with it and how it can’t help but change who he is and what he wants.
    Len or Len
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Anne Tyler's short novel is perceptive and observant and Micah, the main character, is such a fully developed protagonist. The plot involves Micah and his girlfriend; a college kid showing up at Micah's door claiming to be his son and Micah's one-man computer fix-it company "Tech Hermit". A family party scene is so vividly drawn you feel like you were actually there.
    Josephine
    Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Micah is a man devoted to daily routines and following the rules down to the letter.

Wake up, dress, go for a run at 7:15. Begin work as a self-employed technology consultant around 10, (Tech Hermit is his handle). And that sounds about right for Micah.

In the afternoons he deals with tasks in the apartment building. Micah serves as the super. Each day has its own assignment: vacuuming day…dusting day thorough cleaning of the kitchen day... in other words his behavior is quite persnickety and
    Diane Ferbrache
    For fans of Accidental Tourist, Olive Kittredge and A Man Called Ove, Anne Tyler brings us Micah, a 40 year old single techie/handyman who lives in the basement of an apartment building and can't seem to keep a girlfriend. He's not weird or creepy, he just likes his routines and has a bit of difficulty picking up on cues from others. When his latest girlfriend breaks up with him, and a boy shows up on his doorstep claiming to be his son, Micah starts to take a good look at his life.

I loved this
    Natalie
    Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What can I say about a perfect little novel? Every word is meaningful, every sentence presents perfect descriptions. This is the story of Micah, an exacting man, living alone and having limited contact with the outside world. Even his company name is a perfect title for his life, TECH HERMIT.

He does have a family, described in a few pages, but giving such clarity (and smiles) to the reader. Tyler is able to describe them and allow us to understand why Micah is who he is. He has a “lady friend”
    Anneliese Grassi
    Well, It seems a lot of people loved this book, I did not. It was slow and kind of ended abruptly making me scratch my head a little. Micah is a very relatable character, a little set in his ways, and needing to have everything just so. His family is fun but he seems to struggle with the relationships that he makes with other people, friends and girlfriends. I’m not sure I understand where this book went. I guess the fact that he finally stopped to take a look at himself and his flaws on the ...more
    Kim McGee
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
    Micah is a creature of habit knowing the tasks before him on any given day of the week and nothing really rattles him. Until the day his girlfriend leaves him and the young son of an old girlfriend shows up on his doorstep. This slim novel is just the kind of sweet story that Anne Tyler is famous for. We all know a Micah or maybe share his peccadillos and we are in his corner hoping he will figure it all out. Maybe the key to finding happiness is knowing you have to start looking for it. My ...more
    Rosemary
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Any new book by Anne Tyler is big news for me, a visit to the Homesick Restaurant. REDHEAD BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD stars Micah Mortimer as a lone runner in his early forties, sole operator of Tech Hermit (an one-man Geek Squad), and super of the apartment building where he lives rent-free in the basement. He does have Cass, a "woman friend," but they live separate lives. His highly organized life is upended when a young man appears on his stoop, claiming to be his son and Cass faces the threat ...more
    Ann
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
    I liked and enjoyed this book but I didn't love it. It seems to end abruptly and leave several things hanging. I liked Micah, middle aged and living his life in an established routine. That comes to an end when his friend, who is a girl, gets evicted from her apartment for having a cat. Then a young man arrives at his door claiming to be his son. Emotions are all over the place which is typical of Anne Tyler books. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
    Heidi
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I love Anne Tyler books. Maybe it's because I grew up just outside of Baltimore and the quirky characters and scene descriptions remind me of home...the Baltimore that isn't splashed all over the news. This book is similar to others she has written in that it captures the unique personalities of each of its flawed characters. I did find the ending to be somewhat abrupt, but days later I'm still thinking about Micah and his story which, for me, is a true measure of how much a book stays with me.
    Maryellen Woodside
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I am a big fan of Anne Tyler, and this book is no exception. Tyler weaves her story around a perfectly normal guy, Micah Mortimer. He is a creature of habit, who lives on his own. He has a girlfriend, a teacher. His routine is disrupted when a young man appears at his door, who thinks Micah is his biological father. An enjoyable read.
    Andi Diehn
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
    I love Anne Tyler's books, but this one felt like a shadow of some of her more robust works (Amateur Marriage, Blue Thread). It was quite short and consisted of moments that felt either too slow or too rushed.
    Pamela Lauer
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Die hard fans of Tyler will enjoy the Baltimore-quirky characters and home-spun flavor, but those looking for character depth or development will be left disappointed. This book ends abruptly, and feels mostly dialed-in and recycled. Not one of Tyler's best.
    Janet
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Anne Tyler is one of my favorite authors and I always look forward to her latest book. This lovely story of Micah and how his world eventually happily changes is another example of how Ms. Tyler examines the ordinary human condition we all basically live and makes it shine. We all need a Redhead by the Side of the Road in our own lives sometimes. A very uplifting story. I am reviewing this as the recipient of a free ARC.
    Claudia Silk
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
    With all the worrying news etc Ann Tyler’s new book was a breath of fresh air. Her eclectic characters and their relationships and routines are comforting but that is not to say that it is a simple book. Tyler is sharp and her writing is spot on.
    Michelle
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    It ended so abruptly I was disappointed. I literally swiped my Kindle screen looking for pages I missed.
    Cynthia
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Maybe not Anne Tyler’s absolute best, but still a nice little novel.
    Carol Godette
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Anne Tyler is a master at character development and she does’t disappoint in this novel.
    This was a quick read that I throughly enjoyed, until the ending. I found it a bit predictable yet contrived.

• The Glass Hotel
    • Death in Her Hands
    • In Five Years
    • 2019 on Goodreads
    • Writers & Lovers
    • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
    • When We Were Vikings
    • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
    • The Sweeney Sisters
    • All Adults Here
    • Separation Anxiety
    • Exciting Times
    • He Started It
    • Eight Perfect Murders
    Anne Tyler was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1941 and grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. She graduated at nineteen from Duke University and went on to do graduate work in Russian studies at Columbia University. She has published 20 novels, her debut novel being If Morning Ever Comes in (1964). Her eleventh novel, Breathing Lessons , was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1988. She is a member ...more