Start by marking “Everywhere She's Not” as Want to Read:
Everywhere She's Not

Everywhere She's Not

David is a brilliant young man living alone in an old seaside motel in San Francisco in 1979. He has just destroyed the life that he and his live-in girlfriend Kate spent two years building together.

He has no idea why he did the terrible thing he did. All he knows is that he’s appalled he did it, and desperately wants Kate back.

Fat chance. Kate, who loves David, is many th
Kindle Edition
Published February 7th 2019 by Laughing Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about Everywhere She's Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everywhere She's Not

Kent Elliott
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Shore has written a really good book. A bit preachy in places, but the messages are the right kind. I was bothered by one instance, an insufferable pretentious side of a dialogue. Of course, that was how the reader was supposed to react. I give it 4-3/4 stars, just a tad short of the hype that came long before publication. Enough that it ought to be on a best seller list soon -- yeah, it's that good. Intense, deeply personal in fully developed characters (especially the main protagonist, Da ...more
Claudia Linse
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I backed the writing of this book on Kickstarter. What a great decision that was. it's a great story and a wonderful read. I highly recommend it.
Katie Treisch
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This coming-of-age story is set in San Francisco in the '70s, and follows David as he comes to understand himself, his family, and the love of his life--Kate.

This story takes a real-life look at what it means to be human--to be imperfect, to be depressed, to be weak and powerless, to deal with abuse, but most importantly, to overcome those obstacles and to come out understanding oneself and others better.

David is as real a human as you can get from a story. He's relatable. He isn't perfect, bu
Barbara Rice
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I contributed to John Shore's Kickstarter campaign to finance this book.

Having said that: I am not a big reader of fiction. I would much prefer to read history of almost anything, gardening, biographies, political essays, cooking, travel writing - anything that didn't really happen to someone just doesn't interest me much. There are exceptions but I do not normally choose fiction to read. In fact, when this book arrived I was in the middle of Dave Van Ronk's "The Mayor of MacDougal S
Sandra Severson
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I usually am reading 3 or more books at any given time, depending on where I am at the time.
But when I received Everywhere She's Not my other books all fell by the wayside. I read it straight through....thought about it for a day, and reread it.
This book is that amazing. It deals with a young man who needs to learn WHY he fears committing to anyone or anything. He needs to realize he is deserves love, and even to love himself.
It very intensely explores childhood pain and seriously has passage
Tim Stolk
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of John Shore's writing for long enough to know that Everywhere She's Not would be a great book before I'd read a word of it. It did not disappoint!

What seems at first to be a simple love story slowly reveals a much more detailed and nuanced tale of of pain and healing, growth and self discovery.

Protagonist David is clever, sharp and funny, but it's the way that that tried and true persona starts to fail him in the midst of his crisis that makes him feel real. His old crutches h
PJ Bartlett
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Goodreads review. I had to come on here and express what this book means to me. I read it on the recommendation of a friend. This book touched a nerve deep within my soul. As an abuse survivor, I could really relate to the experiences of the characters. I could barely put the book down, wanting to know if our hero gets the girl. There are also many hilarious moments. The only thing I didn't care for was when they used more modern expressions like "how great is that?", "awesome", ...more
Lorinda Papazoglou
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A moving novel exploring how things you have no control over, childhood trauma, hurt, rejection and uncertainty can shape and mold you and make you do and believe things that can destroy you in so many different ways. Beautifully written with characters you loathe or love, root for or detest, the story makes you look inside your own life and heart and ask questions or look for answers. In my estimation, that is the test of a good book, and this one is well worth reading.
Dan Wilkinson
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everywhere She’s Not is a novel about love, “About all that love is, about all that artfully masquerades as love.” Simultaneously heart-breaking and laugh-out loud funny, ESN artfully and insightfully explores the murky waters of interpersonal relationships. It is a novel about pain and rejection, about loss and longing. But it is also about discovery and understanding, about growth and realization. And, most importantly, it’s a thoroughly enjoyable read!
Rachel Hart
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These vivid characters are at times gut-wrenchingly relatable. Such compassion demonstrated between friends. Such difficult decisions made. Absolutely loved this book and would read it again. Would be so great to see more from this author.
Nancy Greene-Gregoire
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Couldn't put it down.
Lynne Holly
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this was a fantastic way to spend my time. The book came in the mail on Monday, and I just sucked it down like my favorite Starbucks drink. I could not put it down, and now all I want to do is reread it. The fact that I read it and so quickly is impressive because I am not much of a reader, yet this book completely captivated me. The characters consumed me, and I was able to relate to them on every level. I laughed, I cried, and sometimes I felt completely numb, I was in such shock. Some ...more
Erin C Jorgensen
Paul
Jul 10, 2019
Kathy Wheeler
Jul 11, 2019
In 2014, in order to start writing his novel "Everywhere She’s Not," N. John Shore, Jr., put on hiatus his personal blog, which since 2007 had been among the most read blogs in the country (receiving upwards of 300,000 views per month). From April 2016 to November 2017 he penned, for The Asheville Citizen-Times, "Ashes to Asheville," the first real-time weekly serial novel ever published on the we ...more