Start by marking “Everywhere She's Not” as Want to Read:

Everywhere She's Not

** Winner, Best New Fiction, 2020 American Fiction Award **

** Finalist, 2019 Publishers Weekly BookLife Prize **

** Finalist, First Novel, 2020 Indie Book Awards **

It's not easy to tell a story that is filled with hilarious humor, the pangs of love lost, excruciatingly sad family life and deep, deep inner circumspection that ultimately uplifts your soul, but John has done j
Kindle Edition
Published February 7th 2019 by Laughing Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about Everywhere She's Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everywhere She's Not

Start your review of Everywhere She's Not
Katie Treisch
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This coming-of-age story is set in San Francisco in the '70s, and follows David as he comes to understand himself, his family, and the love of his life--Kate.

This story takes a real-life look at what it means to be human--to be imperfect, to be depressed, to be weak and powerless, to deal with abuse, but most importantly, to overcome those obstacles and to come out understanding oneself and others better.

David is as real a human as you can get from a story. He's relatable. He isn't perfect, bu
Kent Elliott
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Shore has written a really good book. A bit preachy in places, but the messages are the right kind. I was bothered by one instance, an insufferable pretentious side of a dialogue. Of course, that was how the reader was supposed to react. I give it 4-3/4 stars, just a tad short of the hype that came long before publication. Enough that it ought to be on a best seller list soon -- yeah, it's that good. Intense, deeply personal in fully developed characters (especially the main protagonist, Da ...more
Claudia Linse
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I backed the writing of this book on Kickstarter. What a great decision that was. it's a great story and a wonderful read. I highly recommend it.
Rachel McCann
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Buckle your emotional seatbelts! Everywhere She’s Not manages to be funny and agonizing at the same time. It’s an emotional, gut-wrenching front seat journey to self-discovery, to finding your way after a turbulent childhood has left you with scars you aren’t even fully aware of. David Finch, a working class guy who’s lovable, whip-smart, and damaged, has just pushed the self-destruct button on his life, and even he is surprised by the fallout. ESN follows his journey through the debris, with de ...more
Barbara Rice
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I contributed to John Shore's Kickstarter campaign to finance this book.

Having said that: I am not a big reader of fiction. I would much prefer to read history of almost anything, gardening, biographies, political essays, cooking, travel writing - anything that didn't really happen to someone just doesn't interest me much. There are exceptions but I do not normally choose fiction to read. In fact, when this book arrived I was in the middle of Dave Van Ronk's "The Mayor of MacDougal S
Richard Lubbers
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have not identified with a main character in a book so strongly for over 30 years. In 1986, I saw Tom Wingo looking back at me from the mirror of Pat Conroy’s bestseller The Prince of Tides. Then in this book, Everywhere She’s Not by N. John Shore, I once again felt that I was being exposed to the world. Childhood experiences I thought had healed bled again. But this time, instead of throwing me into despair, the reflections deepened my understanding of who I am, what I came through, and opene ...more
Sandra Severson
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I usually am reading 3 or more books at any given time, depending on where I am at the time.
But when I received Everywhere She's Not my other books all fell by the wayside. I read it straight through....thought about it for a day, and reread it.
This book is that amazing. It deals with a young man who needs to learn WHY he fears committing to anyone or anything. He needs to realize he is deserves love, and even to love himself.
It very intensely explores childhood pain and seriously has passage
M
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review first published on Oh Just Books.

A wonderful debut novel by John Shore, Everywhere She's Not has an engaging story line and well-fleshed characters. This is the type of book I read indie authors for. I was immediately drawn into David and Kate's story. Set in early 80's San Francisco, it gave me a peek into how life generally was at the time.

The back and forth timeline narrative made it interesting, because we got to know more about both of them in bits and pieces. Both as a narrati
Stuart Smolkin
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read fiction, but have been a huge fan of John Shore's advice column to troubled folks in our local newspaper. His advice always makes great sense based on his insights into human behavior. When I started reading, I was hooked from the get-go when the main characters' loving relationship goes bad due to self-destructive behavior on the part of the guy. What made him act this way, against his own best interests and happiness? Having immediately and remorsefully recognized his mis ...more
Tim Stolk
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of John Shore's writing for long enough to know that Everywhere She's Not would be a great book before I'd read a word of it. It did not disappoint!

What seems at first to be a simple love story slowly reveals a much more detailed and nuanced tale of of pain and healing, growth and self discovery.

Protagonist David is clever, sharp and funny, but it's the way that that tried and true persona starts to fail him in the midst of his crisis that makes him feel real. His old crutches h
Shayne
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that quietly gets under your skin... a story about a couple of people who sometimes i liked, other times less so, until it became apparent that this is a story about each of us... we are each less than perfect, each baring scars of a less than perfectly kind world, and each living out our existences rubbing up against other equally less-than-perfect others.
once i started the story and was a chapter or two in i was utterly invested in the characters... wanting everything to work
PJ Bartlett
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Goodreads review. I had to come on here and express what this book means to me. I read it on the recommendation of a friend. This book touched a nerve deep within my soul. As an abuse survivor, I could really relate to the experiences of the characters. I could barely put the book down, wanting to know if our hero gets the girl. There are also many hilarious moments. The only thing I didn't care for was when they used more modern expressions like "how great is that?", "awesome", ...more
Ken
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Premise: goofball breaks up with the love of his life, doesn't know why, decides to get her back

This sounds like an easy read, and we more or less know how that story goes. John Shore upends that idea in "Everywhere She's Not." Instead, we're along for the ride as our protagonist sees what's led him to be self-destructive and selfish, and what he has to do to get himself out of it all. But also, that he can never leave it all behind, or undo all that he's done.

With a great supporting cast, and g
Kristi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
I read this while stuck at DPS office for hours and, dare I say it, John Shore made that interminable wait enjoyable! John Shore has constructed a book about love, healthy and otherwise, and how we are products of our pasts. People know this but still aren’t always aware of how the narcissism of others can transform one’s own experience of love and trust and feeling safe in our own lives

John Shore also has a facility with writing humor (not an easy thing to do). This made the main character feel
Linda Berger
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book explains everything! What an amazing portrayal of love and relationships at their best and at their worst. I was in Asheville NC on vacation and read a blurb about this book and local author. I decided to give it a try- and thankfully I did as this is the best book I’ve read in a long time! I look forward to seeing what’s next from this talented author. In the meanwhile I will be purchasing a few more copies to share with my friends in Pennsylvania. John is a skilled writer with a keen ...more
Lorinda Papazoglou
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A moving novel exploring how things you have no control over, childhood trauma, hurt, rejection and uncertainty can shape and mold you and make you do and believe things that can destroy you in so many different ways. Beautifully written with characters you loathe or love, root for or detest, the story makes you look inside your own life and heart and ask questions or look for answers. In my estimation, that is the test of a good book, and this one is well worth reading.
Dan Wilkinson
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everywhere She’s Not is a novel about love, “About all that love is, about all that artfully masquerades as love.” Simultaneously heart-breaking and laugh-out loud funny, ESN artfully and insightfully explores the murky waters of interpersonal relationships. It is a novel about pain and rejection, about loss and longing. But it is also about discovery and understanding, about growth and realization. And, most importantly, it’s a thoroughly enjoyable read!
Gorz
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the most honest and true to life story I've ever read about how growing up in a dysfunctional family can have such a profound effect on a person's life as they become an adult. Very interesting and fun to read; enjoyed it so much! This book was remarkable and made a big impact as it spoke a message to me that I will not forget. N. John Shore Jr. is truly a talented and gifted author.
Naomi
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I backed this book on Kickstarter, because John Shore is one of my favorite bloggers. It did not disappoint. I felt all the feelings. Possibly because this is about real life, possibly because it's an adult novel where I generally stick to children's, or possibly for some other reason, the ending feels...not ended. I love this book, but it needs a sequel to feel complete. SO I'm keeping this at 4 stars, 5th star pending after I get to read what happens next.
Becky Wiren
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be poignant and entertaining. The main character finds a great woman, and then inexplicably breaks up with her...which he realizes he didn't want to do until the deed was well done. He goes through an effort of getting her back, and in the process learns about his own psyche and how it was harmed through his childhood. I won't spoil the denouement but it was stunning. Does he get the girl? Guess you'll have to read to find out. Enjoy!
Wanda
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the main character's constant, even feverish insistence of inserting humor into every conversation became tiresome, I enjoyed the rich dialog (both outer and inner) in this novel. It also led me to take a hard look at some problematic relationships in my own life, which is what the best books do for me.
Nancy Green
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book for book club. Normally I don’t enjoy coming-of-age books, however this book is well written and held my attention. It had interesting characters and believable raw emotion. The mother was an excellent villain. I liked the ending. The humor stayed in the silly and trite zone too often for me.
Karen
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heart-wrenching, with some great humor. This book will hit home for many. It isn't a long book, but the themes of love and abandonment are very real, which can make it a difficult book. The humor keeps the most difficult parts from being too dark, and Shore gives his readers hope that healing is possible.
Christine Muller
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
John Shore is a blogger I read lots of when I was a teenager, writing that really spoke to me.
I finally got around to reading this book and finished it in two days. It took a global pandemic but I am so glad I did. A fantastic story, so moving. I cried so much. I could not recommend this book more.
Rachel Hart
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These vivid characters are at times gut-wrenchingly relatable. Such compassion demonstrated between friends. Such difficult decisions made. Absolutely loved this book and would read it again. Would be so great to see more from this author.
Rachel
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John puts toxic mothers on the map and says ‘Let’s discuss’. But it is anything but somber! I laughed so hard I had to put the book down. I’m busting to read his next book on how reciprocal love was worked out.
Nancy
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Couldn't put it down.
Richard D
An excellent first work by one of my favorite human beings! Reaches deep into the gut.
Lynne Holly
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this was a fantastic way to spend my time. The book came in the mail on Monday, and I just sucked it down like my favorite Starbucks drink. I could not put it down, and now all I want to do is reread it. The fact that I read it and so quickly is impressive because I am not much of a reader, yet this book completely captivated me. The characters consumed me, and I was able to relate to them on every level. I laughed, I cried, and sometimes I felt completely numb, I was in such shock. Some ...more
Joanne Elliott
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

• The World War II Chronicles: The Fall of Japan and Enemy at the Gates
  • Sarai in the Spotlight (Sarai Gonzalez #2)
  • Sarai Saves the Music (Sarai #3)
  • Provenance
  • Quintessence
  • Sarai and the Around the World Fair
  • Bo and the Dragon-Pup (Unicorn Diaries, #2)
  • Aster and the Accidental Magic
  • High Achiever: The Incredible True Story of One Addict's Double Life
  • The Raven Tower
  • Conviction
  • Marilyn: Her Life in Her Own Words
In 2014, in order to start writing his novel "Everywhere She’s Not," N. John Shore, Jr., put on hiatus his personal blog, which since 2007 had been among the most read blogs in the country (receiving upwards of 300,000 views per month). From April 2016 to November 2017 he penned, for The Asheville Citizen-Times, "Ashes to Asheville," the first real-time weekly serial novel ever published on the we ...more

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...