Start by marking “The Status Debt: A suspense thriller packed with romance and crime (Hunted #1)” as Want to Read:
The Status Debt: A suspense thriller packed with romance and crime (Hunted #1)

The Status Debt: A suspense thriller packed with romance and crime (Hunted #1)

Lillian Morgan would do anything to regain the status she lost by marrying beneath her and to cover the sordid details of her husband’s death. This includes blackmail and the hand of marriage of her own daughter...

Tori’s father would have stopped his daughter’s misery. He’d have stopped it in a heartbeat, but he couldn’t because he was dead. He’d been dead for years.

Mu
Published May 24th 2019 by Athame Press

To ask other readers questions about The Status Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Status Debt

Start your review of The Status Debt: A suspense thriller packed with romance and crime (Hunted #1)
Coco.V
Feb 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (2/7/2020)! 🎁
Linda Strong
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Victoria is caught between a rock and a hard place. Her mother who would do anything to regain her status in the community after her husband was murdered turns to blackmail to ensure that Victoria marries well.

Unfortunately the man she is to marry is an abuser, physically and mentally. She doesn't know how to free herself from this monster.

And then she meets Ashley Hunter .. president of a club that has been known for its drug dealing ways. She and Hunter don't particularly like each other .. b
Kayla Krantz
Very suspenseful new series from this author.

From reading other works of hers, I’ve grown a liking for her style. The way she focus on character development to drive her plot makes it not only easy to connect to the characters but also to become invested in the story itself. In this story, I felt for Tori. Even though she was always surrounded with people, they were people who didn’t appreciate her, people who wanted to use her for their own personal gain.

Watching as she slowly changed from a sw
Ellie Midwood
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An unputdownable new series from Edie Baylis! From page one, I got so involved with the characters, I couldn’t turn pages fast enough to see how it all plays out for them. Tori, who loses her father in a tragic accident, won my heart right away. It was devastating to watch how she, a sweet, kind girl who only wanted a normal life for herself, was forced by her controlling mother who is obsessed with money and status, into an arranged marriage with Matt, her wealthy friends’ son. As Tori’s person ...more
Diane Garner
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping emotional gut-wrenching thriller.

Victoria and Hunter. Wow, I would have to say out of all the books I've read in this genre these are my two favorite characters. Two different classes, two different souls, and two people whom are set up to clash.

The story itself is a twisting kind of wonderful. There's no gaps, no skimming pages, and no question about what's going on. This book had me in its grips as soon as I was introduced to Hunter, And my interest never faltered.

I gave the Status
Beth Hodgson
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank this author for personally sucking the soul out of my marrow for the last two days. I could not put this book down, it was SO good. It made me cry, something a book has not done in ten years. I hope to God there is a sequel to this story.
Sapphire
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It’s refreshingly different from 90% of the thrillers/suspense I’ve read which all seem very similar, but with this one I was on the edge of my seat with the twists and schemes and the general originality of the story.

Tori Morgan’s mother, Lillian, has gone to great pains to hide that her husband (Tori’s father) was murdered, allegedly because of his involvement with dodgy dealing. Being from an upper class family, Lillian was desperate not to let this stain on her family affe
Sue Wallace
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The status debt by Edie Bayliss.
Murdered, in fact.
Tori thought her life couldn’t get much worse, but when her fiancé attempts t
Erika
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Netgalley and Booksgosocial for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Tori is 20 and engaged to Matt, a horrible but rich man from a "good family". It is basically an arranged marriage set up her status seeking mother. Tori's father died in an accident or possible murder some years ago. Matt and his father are bankers and are trying to buy up properties and Matt has some shady negotiations with a motorcycle gang that kills people and sells drugs, led by a guy named Hunter
Gordon Bickerstaff
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great start to a new series

This is a suspense thriller with crime and romance threads, and as I've read 'Escaping The Past' from the Downfall Series, I knew I'd be in for an intense read. I wasn't disappointed. The story is centred on Tori, and her controlling mother, Lilian, who is seeking to recover her social standing by using Tori as her pawn. Her future husband and his clan are nightmares for Tori and it seems everything is stacked against her. How will she get on? The suspense is palpable,
Trudie Collins
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I enjoyed previous books by this author, this one is even better. It draws you in and doesn’t let you go. She leaves enough breadcrumbs for you to guess what will happen, but not how, and not everything happens the way you think it will. This book is more about the journey than the destination. And what a journey! It contains interesting characters that are likeable or hateable and both the story and the settings are believable.

I have a waterproof cover for my Kindle so I can read in the
Katrina Hart
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Review Of The Status Debt (Hunted) by Edie Baylis

The Status Debt is a gritty, sexually charged, violent psychological thriller. I found Tori to be a very interesting character. She is forced into a life that is influenced by her mother’s need to be respected by high society. However, Tori is strong under her easily controlled personality and throughout the book I wanted her to stand up to her to be husband Matt. I also enjoyed the power balance between Matt, a posh daddy’s lad and Hunter a ro
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’ve not read this author before but was intrigued by other reviewers excellent ratings. This seemed overly long and hard to get into for me. I was not impressed with the writing style or any of the characters, and it seemed a chore to pick it up to continue.

First let me say this is described as a “thriller with psychological twists.” I read a lot in that genre and did not find the description to be accurate. Tori is the main character, at the insistence of her mother, she is betrothed to an ab
Sedona Hutton
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Status Debt by Edie Baylis is a story that’s hard to fit into one genre. Part suspense, part thriller, and part romance, this book is far from predictable. Just when I thought I knew where it was going, there was another twist.

Tori Morgan is forced into an undesired, arranged marriage by her controlling, status-conscious mother. Tori is diminished by her fiancé, Matt, his friends, and her mom, and her self-confidence and self-worth plummet. Tori’s best friend helps her to stand up for herse
Keyla Damaer
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Victoria, or Tori, as everyone calls her, lost her father when she was a little girl, murdered in unknown circumstances. Her mother hid everything about their past. She even changed Tori’s last name to her maiden’ name all in the name of appearances.
As an adult, Tori finds herself engaged with a man who insults and humiliates her at every occasion, controlled by a status-conscious mother who never cared for her. Until Hunter enters in her life to change it completely. For good and for bad.

The St
TopsieJ
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need book 2......Now!!!!

I love Edie Baylis' writing and this story hasn't let me down.
The vindictive web of lies that are woven, the backstabbing, the outstanding loyalty of the characters with genuine hearts and of course, the mega hot chemistry are all just snippets of what makes this an amazing story that I just don't want to come to an end. I suspected one of the heartbreaking twists but didn't want it to be true, nor the way the story finishes! I can't wait for book 2 as I'm not sure my h
Anne
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tori is a sweet, likeable soul. Her father was killed years ago for allegedly being involved in drug trafficking, but she can’t quite bring herself to believe this of her beloved Dad. Yet her mother is adamant he wasn’t what he seemed and is hell bent on regaining the ‘status’ she feels she lost by marrying him, no matter what the cost. And the cost is Tori’s forthcoming arranged marriage to the odious controlling and abusive Matt. Tori is being systematically torn apart by her fiancé, her futur ...more
Beccy Thompson
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the book club reviewers thank you
I love Edies writing and this new series is on track to continue her trend of being a go to author!
I love the characters and they way Edie has created a complex character history for them
A riveting read I’ll be looking for book 2!
Sandra
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW What a Fantastic,Gritty,Addictive book this is,Tori a young girl that has had a sheltered life is left reeling after the death of her beloved dad but her cold hearted mother has plans and tori has no say in them.I have loved this book if i could i would of given 10 stars BRILLIANT.
Maggie Long
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a journey

This story had me hooked from the first page. Matt, a conceited rich boy whose father has pushed him into marrying Tori. Tori is a naïve young girl who has accepted Matt's offer of marriage, but deep down, she knew she didn't love him. Although Tori kept postponing her wedding, Matt's parents and her mother schemed behind Tori's back and planned the wedding date for her. Matt expected Tori to succumb to his wishes; she had to do his bidding or else...
Then along comes a Reaper
Latesha Kellam
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book. I really like the subject of class and warfare. It had an element of suspense and also an element of romance. It definitely left you wanting more. I can't wait to see what happens in Book 2 of this series.
J.B. Trepagnier
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an intense book and I'm hoping it's part of a bigger series so some of the ending gets resolved. I will admit to not being a part of the British upper class and not quite understanding some of the motivations of some of the characters and why they allowed certain things to happen to them. Matt, I understood because he was written well, but the lengths some of the characters go and the money they pay just so people don't find out they knew a person from a certain class knew them.

I've re
Joshua Grffith
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another epic series in the making

An interesting read indeed. If there's one thing that I never liked, it's the posh, aristocratic class. Always looking down their noses at us common folk like we are trash. Edie Baylis is able to masterfully weave both worlds into a story set in the 80's with a biker gang that has property that a posh son of a bank manager is trying to get for development. The two worlds collide with drug dealing and the leader of the gang in drawn to Tori, a girl that is being f
Louise Jackson
Don't do what I did and begin this story when you go to bed at night...But if you do make that mistake, make sure you have the following day off as this is an all night rollercoaster of a ride into biker life.

Tori and Hunter seem unlikely to ever hook up. Their lifestyles are so different, so complicated. Tori is already engaged (To the worst ******** you would ever want to meet) and Hunter has problems hidden so deep that it would seem impossible to break him open. But break open he does. (Swoo
Ruth Matheson
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall 4.5*
A murdered father, an apathetic mother and a controlling fiance are the key figures in Tori's life. Not that she has much of one as she has to do what they say or suffer the consequences. It is a story of how love and hate can be on the same side of the coin. It's about weak versus strong, rich versus poor and deeply buried secrets which are gradually rising to the surface.
Edie Baylis stories never make for light reading and may not be for everyone however for those of us who do enj
V.L. Stuart
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a book with a twisted plot but such cookie-cutter characters that it made me want to scream. Father dies, family loses status, mother connives to get it back through blackmail and marrying her daughter off to someone with status. Add bikers - one handsome and virile - a malicious fiancé and a timid bride-to-be... and lots of sex...and I just wanted to get through the book and put it down. Was this book just an excuse for torrid sex scenes? Will I read the second book? No. The author hasn ...more
Lynda
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first book in a trilogy introduces us to Tori.

She lives with her status conscious, snobby mother Lillian and is engaged to Matt, an arrangement made by her mother and his father.

Her loving father, who her mother thought was beneath her, was murdered when Tori was young and her life since then has not been happy.

Matts involvement with The Reapers, a biker gang encroaches on their lives and Lori meet their leader, Ash Hunter....

This is well written and if you like gritty drama, and you are n
M.L. Tompsett
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline and characters.
Can secrets remain hidden or will the truth be revealed?
Tori is the type of woman who has to please everyone, especially when she is made to feel worthless. You just want to pick her up and give her a big hug. I felt for her.
Hunter is the type of guy who is in charge and wants to do what is right for his neighbourhood.
Can Tori and Hunter work through their past to make a future or will the people they should trust most end their relationship and their community?
Bettyboop
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Could not stop reading

Status Debt is all about characters interacting, good with bad, and the main action is reckless sex. Flawed characters and a double crossing deal gave me an uneasy feeling, yet I could not stop reading. The back to beginning end left me wanting to read the next book. That makes a goodread.
Vickie Fisher
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of “Sons of Anarchy” you will love “The Status Debt.” The strong story line is what kept me turning the pages, I couldn’t wait to see everyone get their just reward. But alas I will have to wait until book two for that.
A Good Thriller: Book available on Negalley 1 16 Mar 21, 2020 02:33AM
I love Alpha Male...: FREE this weekend only 2 26 Feb 09, 2020 11:36AM

• Voice Of Reason
  • Gold
  • Reprisal (The Cardigan Estate Book 2)
  • Revenge (The Cardigan Estate Book 1)
  • Ghosts of the Past: Haunted by the past...tormented in the present (Unfinished Business Book 7)
  • 28 Grams
  • No Fear: An absolutely addictive gritty crime thriller
  • Head of the Firm: An absolutely gripping and gritty gangland crime thriller set in Liverpool (Bad Blood, Book 3)
  • The Price
  • Why Me?
  • THE CARTER'S: WARS IN WEST LONDON
  • Jacky Boy's Climb (Ruthless Book 3)
  • THE TROUBLE LEGACY: a totally gripping gangland crime novel (The Trouble Trilogy Book 3)
  • Witness
  • Rival
  • No Escape
  • Tangled Lives: A gripping new gangland crime novel (Risking It All Book 2)
  • Back in the Game: A gripping and gritty gangland crime thriller set on the streets of Liverpool (Bad Blood, Book 2)
Edie Baylis lives in central England with her partner, children and oversized nutcase dog. She has worked all over the country in previous occupations - some of which have been enjoyable, others not. Either way, she has met a lot of interesting people - some of which have helped to shape the characters in her books.

Reading has always been one of Edie's great passions and is a self-confessed book h