Start by marking “The Sirius Mystery” as Want to Read:

The Sirius Mystery

Is the existence of civilization on earth a result of contact from inhabitants of a planet in the system of the star Sirius prior to 3000 BC? There are tribal cultures in present-day Africa whose most sacred and secret traditions are based on this theory. Central to their cosmology is a body of knowledge concerning the system of the star Sirius that is astounding in its ac ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Destiny Books (first published January 1st 1976)

Erik Graff
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ancient astronaut fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sciences
I've long kept my eye out for Hamlet's Mill and The Sirius Mystery, both books being often referred to in the UFO literature. I found the latter recently at the Amarynth Bookstore in Evanston. Excited by my purchase I began to read it immediately...
...and was disappointed upon finishing its critical apparatus and beginning its first part.

Temple's thesis is that amphibians from the Sirius star system visited Earth and imparted some information, possibly to the Egyptians, possibly to a culture ant
Steve Cran
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sirius Mystery

“It’s aliens I tell you?” Yeah Yeah we have heard it all before. Zecharia Sitchin hypothesized that aliens came from a planet with an extreme elliptical orbit around our sun called Nabiru. The planet comes into contact with ours supposedly every 3,600 years and that aliens cam to our planet and spliced our genes. Now this is based on his reading of Sumerian, Egyptian and biblical scripture. Robert Temple has a more realistic theory and demonstrates his knowledge of pagan myster
Bkrepp
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non-Fiction. Yes I do like this sort of thing. There's a tribe in Africa, the Dogon's who can recount the planets and others stars surrounding the star Sirius. The information that they have was not discovered by astronomers until 1920/30's (can't remember exactly). The information the Dogon's have has been passed down from generation to generation. There's more to the book than just this. Good read, again if you like this sort of book.
Catherine Baum
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this,looks like a typical airy fairy new age book and I was reluctant to dive in, but when I did I realised there are fundamental and obvious scientific facts we don't get told about our existence.
Tim
Nov 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute bullshit
John Bentley
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant book on mans' connection with the stars and other worlds condemned as being without evidence, but then so have been many sci-fi books which have paved the way with far out concepts which have come true. Sure the book is speculative but much of the information make one think seriously about our place in the universe and that we may freely travel in it with its other members if we only have the intelligence to do so.
Derek Baldwin
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a bit heavy-going at times but a deeply thought-provoking book
Maxime Rolaz
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never mind the alien theory, this book is really enjoyable. Robert Temple here puts the finger on some absolutely crucial information: Sirius related symbolism which, so far as I know, was at the core of Egyptian mythology.
This work comprises many fascinating chapters namely the Oracle centres; the myth of Jason and the Argonauts; Noah's/Deukalion's ark; the number 50 in Egyptian, Greek and Babylonian lore and so on...
As mentioned already I found his alien theory a bit harebrained, although I wo
Sam Hendrick
neat ideas presented here but it goes off subject with toomuch heavy data and what if's.
problem is most people don't understand that a lot of the ancient scriptures were written with the spirit of the word in mind not the litteral tranlation of it.
Here he was looking to hard the connection of the data and not just sticking to the facts. lost a lot of good adat cause of that.
lots and lots of data combined to make lots of heavy reading. Break out your dictionaries and mythology books and anc
John Bentley
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you believe Homo Sapiens is likely to arrived on Earth via an alien race and want some seriously intelligent and imaginative evidence for it then this is the exceptional book for you. Many people, including the great DNA scientist Francis Crick hold the same views as explained in the novel The Royal Secret and that humanity has the means to return from whence it came. This book maybe speculative but it if so it is brilliantly done.
Patti See
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Maybe it's my pea brain but I found this book to be muddled and confusing. Just when Mr. Temple gets on to a great point, he goes off on some tangent and loses my interest. He's a bit of a name dropper and likes to pat himself on the back. That said, it does pose some great questions about the mysterious antiquities of our planet and origins. Do the Dogons hold the key?
George Mills
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I had a lot of fun with this book. It's great to suspend disbelief and imagine that there really is a civilization out there. Aside from this, the value of works like this is that they bring out many things for which we have no answer. Academia needs to address itself to the Dogon and not simply wave their mythology off - vacuums have a way of being filled up.
Anna
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book. It goes too many details time to time but still it is very intriguing. At the end of the book, Mr. Temple is talking about how a member of the Masons approached him and showed their interest in his research. If there is another Masonic group in the Sirius system, we are really doomed.
Dan
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mostly notable in that it is not as bad as Von Danniken.
kate
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I borrowed this from Doc like 6 years ago and read it but I just found it at a used book store and I'm gonna read it again cause I don't remember if I'm convinced or not.
Derek Stover
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
must read for yourself. skeptical at first glance, but once read into, and with the historical evidence of the Dogon Tribe, it seems plausable.
Christopher
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about the possibility of alien contact in prehistoric human civilizations.
Chloe
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun ideas. I always enjoy playing "what if?".
Mark
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it.
Malia
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Alot of reseach, text not many pictures. This is a thinking book.
I like that it is updated thru time. Fascinating! Technology is proof to the pudding. Who really knows?
Kat Hardy
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4th-year
Hades.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
I decided to read this book because I have to do an article about the Dogons and their relation with Sirius. The book doesn't talk just about the tribe in question, but parallels the Egypt mitology - wich irritated me because it wasn't my focus, but it gave me a new perspective. I don't deny, was a hard read for me and sometimes - long times - I got caught up in daydreams. I point out this book to anyone who appreciates mythology, astronomy and African civilizations. If you just want to read
J.R. Sedivy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a discussion on the Dogon tribe and how they possessed knowledge of the stars Sirius A, B, and C; something that should have been impossible given their level of technology and development. In addition there is a significant discussion on myth and how many of the worlds original myths tend to derive from Sirius.

The Sirius Mystery is well researched and overall a fascinating read however it can be a deep read it times. If you're interested in the mysteries surrounding Sirius th
Deb
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had read a lot of this years ago. Kind of a refresher book for me but still interesting. I would recommend it if you have not read much about the Dogon tribe of Africa, ancient Egypt or Sumeria or Babylon.
James Miller
The math in this book is beyond me but the story is believable and convincing! An amazing book with a logical explanation of so many things.
Branka
Dec 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of c***. :)
Tom Walsh
I've been waiting to read this for a long time. I saw the author on H2 "Ancient Aliens" and wrote down the title of his book. His theories on the Dogon alone are so fascinating, I lost my place in history and the universe. He has rewritten history! There are many internets sites devoted to this too!! If you like the H2's "Ancient Aliens" you will flip over this work. IT's been revised, to keep it current with discoveries since it's original publication.
Carolyn Burton
I found the subject matter to be quite interesting. I would definitely purchase this book.
Harsh Parmar
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harsh
Good books
Matthew
Nov 23, 2011

• The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • The Mars Mystery
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Technology of the Gods: The Incredible Sciences of the Ancients
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race: The Condensed Edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
  • Gods of Eden
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • The Lost Book of Enki (Earth Chronicles #6.25)
  • The Eyes of the Sphinx: The Newest Evidence of Extraterrestial Contact in Ancient Egypt
  • The Mayan Prophecies: Unlocking the Secrets of a Lost Civilization
  • The Giza Power Plant: Technologies of Ancient Egypt
  • Uriel's Machine
“Egyptians in the pre-dynastic times before 3200 B.C., from which people I show that the Dogon are partially descended culturally, and probably physically as well.” 1 likes
“We tend to be unaware that stars rise and set at all. This is not entirely
due to our living in cities ablaze with electric lights which reflect back at us from our fumes, smoke, and artificial haze. When I discussed the stars with a well-known naturalist, I was surprised to learn that even a man such as he, who has spent his entire lifetime observing wildlife and nature, was totally unaware of the movements of the stars. And he is no prisoner of smog-bound cities. He had no inkling, for instance, that the Little Bear could serve as a reliable night clock as it revolves in tight circles around the Pole Star (and acts as a celestial hour-hand at half speed - that is, it takes 24 hours rather than 12 for a single revolution).
I wondered what could be wrong. Our modern civilization does not ignore
the stars only because most of us can no longer see them. There are definitely deeper reasons. For even if we leave the sulphurous vapours of our Gomorrahs to venture into a natural landscape, the stars do not enter into any of our back-to-nature schemes. They simply have no place in our outlook any more. We look at them, our heads flung back in awe and wonder that they can exist
in such profusion. But that is as far as it goes, except for the poets. This is simply a 'gee whiz' reaction. The rise in interest in astrology today does not result in much actual star-gazing. And as for the space programme's impact on our view of the sky, many people will attentively follow the motions of a visible satellite against a backdrop of stars whose positions are absolutely meaningless to them. The ancient mythological figures sketched in the sky were taught us as children to be quaint 'shepherds' fantasies' unworthy of the attention of adult minds. We are interested in the satellite because we made it, but the stars are alien and untouched by human hands - therefore vapid. To such a level has our technological mania, like a bacterial solution in which we have been stewed from birth, reduced us.
It is only the integral part of the landscape which can relate to the stars.
Man has ceased to be that. He inhabits a world which is more and more his own fantasy. Farmers relate to the skies, as well as sailors, camel caravans,
and aerial navigators. For theirs are all integral functions involving the fundamental principle - now all but forgotten - of orientation. But in an
almost totally secular and artificial world, orientation is thought to be un- necessary. And the numbers of people in insane asylums or living at home doped on tranquilizers testifies to our aimless, drifting metaphysic. And to our having forgotten orientation either to seasons (except to turn on the air- conditioning if we sweat or the heating system if we shiver) or to direction (our one token acceptance of cosmic direction being the wearing of sun-glasses because the sun is 'over there').
We have debased what was once the integral nature of life channelled by cosmic orientations - a wholeness - to the ennervated tepidity of skin sensations and retinal discomfort. Our interior body clocks, known as circadian rhythms, continue to operate inside us, but find no contact with the outside world.
They therefore become ingrown and frustrated cycles which never interlock with our environment. We are causing ourselves to become meaningless body machines programmed to what looks, in its isolation, to be an arbitrary set of cycles. But by tearing ourselves from our context, like the still-beating heart ripped out of the body of an Aztec victim, we inevitably do violence to our psyches. I would call the new disease, with its side effect of 'alienation of the young', dementia temporalis.”
0 likes