Start by marking “The Lake of Learning (Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lake of Learning (Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure, #3)

The Lake of Learning

(Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure #3)

For over a decade Cassiopeia Vitt has been building an authentic French castle, using only materials and techniques from the 13th century. But when a treasure is unearthed at the construction site—an ancient Book of Hours—a multitude of questions are raised, all pointing to an ancient and forgotten religious sect.

Once the Cathars existed all across southern France,
Published August 20th 2019 by Evil Eye Concepts, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about The Lake of Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lake of Learning

Start your review of The Lake of Learning (Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure, #3)
Matt
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Steve Berry and M.J. Rose return with another novella in which Cassiopeia Vitt is able to take centre stage. Exploring some of the older aspects of European based religions, the reader will learn much and be dazzled by the intricate detail. While excavating for her ongoing castle project, Cassiopeia Vitt and her team uncover an old book whose contents make it not only rare, but extremely valuable. When she is visited by an interested party, Cassiopeia gets a bad feeling about Roland Beláncourt, ...more
Sahitya
I’ve loved Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone series for years now, but have always been fascinated by Cassiopeia as a character, always wishing that she play major roles in Malone’s stories. So, it’s been wonderful to see the author give her a series of her own.

While The Museum of Mysteries (my last encounter with Cassiopeia) was an okay read, I still wanted more adventures with her and this book didn’t disappoint. I’m always interested to know which historical aspect Berry would decide to dive into,
Sheila
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Cassiopeia Vitt uncovers a sacred book that many long for.
Lawrence A. Beer
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
While a very welcomed interlude in the Cotton Malone series, it kind of satisfies the hunger for more stories featuring this heroes ring of supporting characters, I felt the quick predictable ending - SPOILER ALERT - involving a personal vendetta was disappointing. However, the staging of the Cathars in Spain as the story’s launch pad was intriguing and interesting, well researched and presented. Realize this was a novella and hence a condensed book but still longed for a conclusion epitaph that ...more
Jo Van Horn
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy these kind of historical related stories. Some truths some fabrications make a good read. This one was short and fast which is also a treat after reading a 1200 page historical fiction.
Malcolm
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novella, and "The Museum of Mysteries," represent everything a good novella should provide for readers: strong characters, mysterious stories based on heavily researched history, conflicts that are not easy to resolve, and a compelling storyline that leaves the reader wishing the book went another 500 pages farther than it did.

This story focusses on the Cathar religion, a system of beliefs that the Catholic church considered heretical and then killed the adherents in a crusade launched in
Richard West
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, thriller
This is the second collaboration between Steve Berry and M. J. Rose and the difference between the two is as striking as the difference between night and day. At about 124 pages (not 190 as shown by Goodreads), it's one of those books you can read in one sitting with no problem. It's a stand-alone Cassiopeia Vitt adventure and should thus appeal to Berry fans immediately.

The first venture between Berry and Rose was a genuine, certified loser - most people who read it seemed to give it one star
Nick
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Tracey
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
wordpress

The thing that I enjoyed the most about THE LAKE OF LEARNING, the second collaboration between authors Steve Berry and M.J. Rose, is how much attention to historical detail went into the writing of this book. Yes, liberties were taken, but they were few, and what emerged is a book chock full of interesting facts about the Cathars, along with another mystery to be solved. Given both authors' love of and involvement in history preservation, this book met my expectations, and then some.

As with THE
Marti
Lake of Learning by Steve Berry and MJ Rose is an offshoot of the Cotton Malone books. This book focuses on Cassiopeia Vitt who is presently building an authentic French castle using 13th century techniques. While she was having a test ditch dug, a golden box was found with an old copy of The Book of Hours. Obviously, the book is old and valuable, so it is put to the side until Cassiopeia finds out more about it. The next day is when the adventure starts, people showing up to buy the book and ...more
dennis barron
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Lake of Learning Steve Berry M.J. Rose

Cathars, a sect or religion practiced by thousands . The Pope viewed them as heretics. In 1208, he decides to eliminate them. Erase them from the face of the earth. His armies does just that. The Cathars cease to exist. In the present day they are very secretive and as in the past non violent. But, in the end their leader in France will resort to this, but in self defense. Cassiopeia Witt has discovered an ancient book of the Cathars while excavating on
Kyle Davis
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cassopia Vitt is a great character in Steve Berry's Cotton Malone Universe. She is a strong female with a variety of talents and always seems to be an asset to the story. This was no different. I am glad that she is getting some attention in this novella, but I would have liked this story more if it were a full novel. The history, as always with Steve Berry, was intreguing and fun. A rare book find that leads to a "secret" society/religion being involved in finding their holy grail is a solid ...more
Mary A. Muchowicz
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating story of the quest for the Cathar Book of Truth

The Cathars were a peaceful people ruled by the God of Good. Although their beliefs were different than the Catholicism Church, it is still hard to believe that Christian were ordered to exterminate other Christians. It seemed that the Cathars were completely wiped from existence, but a few existed and recruited more members who waited centuries to again find their book of truth and the clue to find it came when Casseopeia Vitter
Soren
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Vitt books will never even get close to Malone books.
This one had way too many religious sentences and quotes.
The idea that 2 renowned archeologists would open relics found on site (twice) is pretty stupid and so unrealistic no matter what circumstances.
The narrator’s french is really good - but it does make it difficult for the non french speaking audience at times.
Also what happened to the post credit comments about what is taken from historical documents? Or is all this pure fiction?
Deborah Gill
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another exciting story involving Cassiopeia Vitt! The finds a golden box in the gounds of a site where she is excavating and rebuilding a castle. The contents of the box brings interest from two people, one wants to buy it and is willing to pay greats sums to get it, the other tries to steal it but then finds another way to see what is in the box. The box reveals a great treasure and the three are on a hunt.
Lynn
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb, as always!

I'm delighted to see Ms. Vitt again at the center of a story as rich and full of history of any of the pages she shares with Cotton.

Berry is a master of keeping his readers turning pages while he teaches us about yet segment of history unknown to many (most?) of us, and this novella is no exception.

I hope he (along with his co-writers) keeps them coming for the foreseeable future and then some!
Teresa Cage
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding novella

While I missed Cotton, I loved having a story of Vitt without him. And what a story. Steve Berry’s customary historical background against a gripping personal tragedy that plays out before the reader’s eyes. Well written just leaves you wanting more of the story.
Mike Kennedy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steve-berry
Better than the last novella Mr. Berry and Mrs.Rose wrote, but still far from a favorite of mine. The story itself seemed slow moving with the text bogging it down. While this is a Cassiopeia Vitt story, Cotton Malone comes up numerous times. Unfortunately it is for two sentences of advice for Ms. Vitt. Do yourself a favor and dig into the Cotton Malone series first.
Elizabeth Mcnair
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of Steve Berry's books and especially the character of Cotton Malone and Cassiopeia Vitt. This was centered on Cassiopeia who uncovers something while they are digging at the castle she is restoring. Of course the relic leads to some ancient secrets. Unfortunately the ending was too anticipated and disappointing.
Jan Bandich
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love these novellas that are co-written by Steve Berry and M.J. Rose. It's great to see Cassiopeia Vitt come into her own and have her own stories and she is an interesting character and is competent at whatever she undertakes. They are a quick read, thank goodness, because they are very hard to put down. I enjoy the description of the settings and her adventures.
Rob
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
A vaguely ok novella set in the Steve Berry world. A little underwhelming. Feel like it is starting to head down a James Patterson hole where the original author starts almost selling off his characters and just starts "presenting" them. Or whatever my brain is trying to say in amidst this giant fibro fog. Ugh.
Janis
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although short, this book, like many others by Steve Berry, intrigued me because of a nugget of knowledge upon which the story is based. The Cathar religion, which originated in France centuries ago, opposed many of the teachings and principles of the Catholic Church. This book tells of the end of Catherism, or maybe not.
Shirin Rasheed
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think The Lake of Learning was a well written, captivating read. I was so Intrigued and involved in reading the story i could not stop myself from turning the pages fast enough. I Really liked the characters and the overall feel is really good.

I Highly Recommend all Readers to Read this book now.A Must Read for all Readers.
Brian Sewell
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well documented and thought out writing between two veterans. The adventures of Cassiopeia have a edge of your seat pull that draws the reader into each event. I look forward to future writings from these two seasoned writers.
Sue Watson
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting novella

The subject matter is fascinating and descriptions of the historical matters are well researched and explained. I'm left with feeling that the story isn't finished and that the writing in the last third was a bit disjointed.
Du
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars. Decent start to the story, but 75% in, it felt like the book softened and wilted. I wish there was less reminder that Cotton Malone isn't in the book. The general topic was fine, but frame too common to these styles of book (secret sects of religious groups).
nikkia neil
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, mystery
I love a story that has history as its main roots. The Cathars and the landscape of France are just as big a part of this series as Vitt. M. J. Rose and Steve Berry write the perfect novellas together. Can't wait to read more!

This ARC was provided in exchange for a honest review.
glenna hale
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read

Lots of twists and turns, just what you expect from a Steve Berry book! Always love the build to a "can't get out of this one" plot. Very good snowy afternoon read!
Margarita  Rosado
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am delighted with the character of Cassiopeia, so resourceful, strong, smart and witty. The second delivery handling her as the main character only adds at this feeling that a worthy-by-herself character has arisen.
I enjoyed a lot the storyline, specially because I really did not know much about Cathars but, at the same time, it didn't feel like a History class. I'm looking forward the next Cassiopeia case.
Linda Smatzny
This is a short novella. The story centers around an old book that Cassiopeia finds while working on her castle in France. The book has connections to the Cathars and their treasure. The book was a very quick read of less than two hours. Lots of information on the Cathars especially in France.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • The Napoleon Affair (Sean Wyatt #18)
  • Exit Fee (Pike Logan #13.5)
  • The Resurrection Key (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #15)
  • The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell, #11)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Final Option (Oregon Files, #14)
  • The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19)
  • Active Measures (Jericho Quinn #8)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • VanOps: The Lost Power
  • The Manila Deception (James Acton Thrillers #26)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Russia Account (Tommy Carmellini #9)
  • One Good Deed
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)

Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of nineteen novels, which include: The Warsaw Protocol , The Malta Exchange, The Bishop’s Pawn, The Lost Order, The 14th Colony, The Patriot Threat, The Lincoln Myth, The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair, The Jefferson Key, The Emperor's Tomb, The Paris Vendetta, The

Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure (3 books)
  • The Balkan Escape (Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure, #1)
  • The Museum of Mysteries (Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure, #2)
“time, which was one commodity that money could not buy.” 0 likes