Start by marking “Ungirls (Disorder collection)” as Want to Read:
Ungirls (Disorder collection)

Ungirls (Disorder collection)

In the near future, lab-grown sex dolls are the pleasure toy of choice in this disturbing and provocative short story from Lauren Beukes, the bestselling author of The Shining Girls.

Actor and sex worker Nats is experienced at putting on a show. However, her new gig supplying intimate whispers for growgirls takes her to a place darker and lonelier than she could have ever

Published June 27th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Ungirls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ungirls

Start your review of Ungirls (Disorder collection)
Monica
My first Lauren Beukes. Ugly but fascinating imagination...

3.5 Stars

Listened to the audio book.
Sonja Arlow

Its gritty, ugly and very bizarre.

This book is part of the Discord collection and although I am not planning to read all of them 3 are from authors whose books l really enjoyed.

Lauren Beukes may have become famous for The Shining Girls but my first encounter with her was Zoo City. This short is definitely more like her earlier work.

The story is set in a futuristic world where lab grown sex dolls, also known as growgirls are all the rage. The narrator of the story Nats, basically
Tania
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Being South African I've always been a big fan of Lauren's very unique and original stories. I have to admit that I almost gave up on this novella in the first chapter or so, as I thought the opening was just too in your face and written to shock. I'm glad that I stuck with this though, as in the end everything comes together to form a horrible look at how vile people can be, and also a warning about the possible spin-offs of any new technologies created.

I really liked the audible version and
TL
Jul 05, 2019 marked it as dnf
*read for free with kindle Unlimited *

DNF at 32% .. guess I picked all the good ones first.

This one isn't bad just not my thing.. was bored.
Renee (The B-Roll)
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The third installment of this collection,Ungirls, is set in a world where AI and electronics have advanced enough to allow companies to grow organs in laboratories (hmmmm.....) to use for medical necessities. As this would naturally progress, some man has decided that these headless bodies can be grown and made into flesh and bone sex dolls that look and feel just like real humans, even with muscle memory movements. Of course, laws have been bypassed because since this torsos do not have heads, ...more
Ginger
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, shorties
A disturbing shortie.
I would be interested in seeing what Beukes can do with a full length.
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
All I remember was that this was really weird.
Bandit
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing with the Disorder collection of Kindle shorts. This one had very underwhelming reviews, so my expectations were set pretty low, but actually I ended up quite liking it. Been meaning to check out the author and this story of futuristic sex workers in South Africa was a pretty good introduction. I liked the social commentary, the way MeToo and co. have spiraled into the world where men now have the option of organically grown women, essentially flesh clones created for sex and organ ...more
Krystal Gibson
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting story about artificial sex dolls and the girl getting exposed. What I didn't understand was the ending and the murders (?). I think her voice was manipulated and possibly it was telling people to do things like kill? I wish that part had been a little more clear.
Chava
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a not-so-distant future, lab-grown meat is used for ethical nutrition, growing human organs, and growing incredibly life-like sex dolls made of human flesh and with enough nervous system to actively participate in sex. However, they don't have heads and they don't have a consciousness, so it's legal and not creepy at all, right? WRONG. It's completely creepy.

To make the nearly-human more like a real woman, the users can buy heads to attach to the bodies where sex workers have narrated
Tatiana
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disturbing but entirely plausible and creepily familiar. Don't read it before bed, it may not give you nightmares but you'll probably be feeling too unsettled to sleep well.
Kathleen
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting but very odd. Especially the ending.
Jenn
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2019
This was a really strange read, but I did enjoy it overall. At first, I was confused about what was happening. After I realized how the story was structured and that it wasn’t just following one character, I became much more engaged.

For this story, I’d say the setting and atmosphere are stronger than the actual plot. There really isn’t much of a plot. Things do happen, but that’s not really the main point of this story.

I’d recommend this to fans of odd stories that have more to say than is
Nadine
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There have been plenty of books that look at the ways AI simulated women roil the already fraught waters of sexual politics, but this little 57 pager is one of the best, in my opinion. (Also, shout out to the movie Ex Machina and the episode of Black Mirror about a widow who buys an AI-simulation of her dead husband.) Lauren Beukes is one of my favorite authors, although I've been too much of a wuss to try her horror novels, The Shining Girls and Broken Monsters. I have bought them and they are ...more
Mike Wallace
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short story is better than most of the novels I've read this year. I know there are many authors who are said to have picked up where PKD left off but Lauren Beukes really has. I can't wait for another full length novel from her.
5 Stars *****
Cheryl DeFranceschi
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy wow! I need some distance from this before I can unpack it and say anything. ...more
kari
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was apprehensive at first as I didn't love Beukes' Shining Girls as much as most readers did, but Ungirls was splendid. Chilling, cutting, apt, set in the future but dangerously close to our present.
Dee Cherry
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my final read in this collection as I read them in no particular order. This story had an odd concept that will probably happen in the near future. Reading this collection of stories definitely makes one wonder....
Bookphile
I thought this was a disturbing and thought-provoking read.
Anton Prosser
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Beaukes' vision of the near future world, her ability to draw such vivid pictures in spare strokes. This one feels especially real, especially horrifying.
Andreas Porwanto
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
Short and disturbing.
Lisa
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea

I gave this one a shot but it just didn't work for me. Like an invasive exam at the doctor's office I just wanted to finish it as quickly as possible.
Lita Acevedo
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was definitely strange. Set in a society where torsos are grown for organs, a company grows full women with chips and circuitry to sell as sex toys. Real live women do voice over work that gets programmed into these "ungirls". One woman in particular is very popular and hey, it pays the bills. Until someone exposes her. And someone else contacts her offering to make it all right. This mysterious individual hacks into the ungirls and they suddenly start spewing hateful vitriol to their ...more
Aisha
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick cautionary tale about people relying on sex toys/robots to satisfy their needs in lieu of actually interacting with and having relations with real people. A good read indeed.
cindyhawk
Jul 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Interesting Idea Thin Story Line

Not my taste but an interesting perspective on this subject area. The author unsuccessfully tried to present several times and places without a seamless transition for the reader to follow and be able to arrive at the desired ending which in itself was vague. There multiple "shock" items inserted that only seemed to serve the purpose of adding bulk to a thin story line.
Alfonso
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had no idea what was going on in the last of this short story. Hell, I didn't even know what the characters were doing half of the time. I had listened to the audiobook version (free for prime members) and everything seemed a bit jumbled together - it was difficult to know when the narrator was moving to a new scene or on to another character. By the end I was just confused. I have no idea what the hell happened at the end. ...more
Tania
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-atw
Disturbing concept

A new tech company is making human-like synthetics with AI into female companionship for willing buyers. A group of sex workers are adapting to the new frontier where their competition is artificially created. One of the women in the group agrees to lend her voice to the tech project. But when she's found out by the public, everything falls apart. The story jumped back and forth between the men who purchased the AI and the group surrounding the voice actor, which made it feel
Sarah Jean
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very disturbing but very well written.
Amy Garrett
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Meh...... It was short so that was the best part.
Taylor
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Don't sleep on these Amazon shorts! Dark, twisted, f*cked up. Black Mirror vibes.

All free on Kindle Unlimited.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Loam (Disorder collection)
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • Will Williams (Disorder collection)
  • The Beckoning Fair One (Disorder collection)
  • The Best Girls (Disorder collection)
  • King of Dreams (Exposure collection)
  • Ms. Mirage (Exposure collection)
  • Nightcrawlers (Exposure collection)
  • Bad Therapist (Exposure collection)
  • The Two Million Dollar Intern (Exposure collection)
  • Speed Grieving (The One, #6)
  • The Visitor (The One, #5)
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Lila (The One, #7)
  • The Officer and the Entrepreneur
  • Ark
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
Lauren Beukes is an award-winning, best-selling novelist who also writes screenplays, TV shows, comics and journalism. Her books have been translated into 26 languages and have been optioned for film and TV.

Her awards include the Arthur C Clarke Award, the prestigious University of Johannesburg prize, the August Derleth Prize, the Strand Critics Choice Award and the RT Thriller of the Year. She’s
“understanding without action is what? That’s goddamn right. It’s meaningless. And the only thing we are here to do, the very reason we are here for the very short time we have, is to make meaning, to wrest it bloodily from the chaos and disorder that surround us. It is our own kind of conscious birth.” 0 likes