Start by marking “Lesath” as Want to Read:

Lesath

Locked in his dark cell, Greg lay awake in bed, fidgeting with the small cassette recorder, pressing the rewind and stop buttons to listen to the heavy click and spring-loaded clank that initiated and punctuated the faint whirring mechanics. He knew well enough no one was going to come looking for him―not while he was in between jobs, living in a four-door pickup truck, ...more
ebook
Published September 30th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Lesath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lesath

Start your review of Lesath
Felicia
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is not my cup of psychotropics.

2 stars for the plot and the claustrophobic atmosphere created by the author.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
A.M. Kherbash
Jun 16, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Thank you all for taking time to read, review and/or rate Lesath.

Originally I had intended it to be a stand-alone novel, with no plans for a sequel. Even while I was editing the first draft and making side notes for what a sequel might look like, it was nothing more than a spark of an idea, and I didn't want to commit to a sequel without having something substantial to work on.

But reading these reviews over these past few weeks––whether positive or negative, they shared a common thread
Blake Evans
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc, horror

“It began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between.”
― Diane Ackerman, A Natural History of the Senses

I think the quote pretty much sums up my experience. I downloaded the netgalley ARC a while back and kept putting it off. I don’t know if it’s the ratings that made me enjoy the book more, but holy s*** is it underrated!

I’m guessing this is one of those books that agitates the average reader, like watching your first Kubrick and leaving the
Danielle Kemp
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very interesting read. While it was full of gory descriptions, and had a sinister atmosphere of non-stop tension, the author never gives you all the facts. Although I found myself feeling confused throughout the story, I thoroughly enjoyed the mysterious plot, the intriguing characters, and the fantastic descriptions. Overall, I would give this novel a 4 star rating. It is definitely worth a read!
Alisa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read horror books but this one had a cool cover so I decided to check it out.
Greg wakes up in a mental institution of sorts. Only he is not a patient and he has no memory of entering this place. The doctor tells him that he has an uncanny resemblance to an escaped patient, only Greg doesn't have the same scars. And so Greg will have to be stuck in there until the escaped patient is found. And then all sorts of crazy stuff starts happening.
I didn't really vibe with this book.
McKenzie/literarydragon
Publication date: September 30th 2019

No rating because DNF.

I received an e-arc through NetGalley.

I can’t rate Lesath. DNF at 10% because this book just wasn’t for me. Ten percent isn’t much of a book, but I could feel it in my bones that this was not going to suddenly become interesting for me.

It’s not poorly written (as far as I read) nor is it a boring story idea. Mistaken identity institutionalization is super terrifying. The beginning especially pulled me in, but soon after I found my
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Lesath by AM Kherbash is an X-Files-esque read tinged with elements of Shutter Island, Inception, and the Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. We mostly follow Greg, an unreliable narrator if ever there was one. A drifter who lives in his truck, and hopes to create a career in free-lance writing, Greg follows hints to a secret facility in Duncastor (or does he?), where he ends up a captive of the place. The facility director, Dr Carver, tells Greg that he must stay in ...more
Captain Darling
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stabby-books, arc
Thanks to NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars, or 5 stars with a caveat: this book is not for everyone. Those looking for a simple, straightforward read where the author explains everything probably better steer clear of this one. Those who enjoy a mind-bending story that reads like a fevered dream (Think P.T. or Silent Hill 1+2, or survival horror by way of David Lynch) will probably like this.

I’m of the second group of readers, and to be
Irene
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a convoluted story that was not really what I was expecting or hoping for from the description. It felt like less of a horror and more of a sci-fi thriller which is really not my thing. It started out well enough and there is lots of action but the longer it went on the less I enjoyed it. The ending left me with more questions than answers. As a horror lover I certainly don't need every little detail to make sense but I do at least need to know what is going on and why. It also helps if ...more
Steve Stred
DNFing at 25%. I just can't keep going here. The story has so much potential but I'm really stuck with the total absurdity of them keeping this guy in the institution just because he kind of looks like him but doesnt have the same scars. Everything now is just grinding my gears.
I really was intrigued by the opening scene, and I'd assume it would come back around to it, but the institution stuff after just wasnt't flowing for me.

Simoné Eloff
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-read
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

This is a bit of a tough one. (Note that in this review, I won't be discussing the plot at all. This is one of those books where the less you know going in, the better.)

First things first, I feel I need to point out that my two-star rating is not reflective of the writer's ability or even really the novel itself, but rather my own experience of it. As I will explain, Lesath is in no way a bad book - it has a pretty intriguing plot and some good
Richard Banks
This is a tricky one to write. Lesath is one of the most confusing books I’ve read in a long time, and even by the end I was still completely baffled, trapped in an answer-less void, desperate for more information but a little thankful that it was all over.

But that’s Kherbash’s aim, right? Such is the testament to our authors understanding of his contemporaries, the psychological web is weaved to absolute perfection. We waste no time in Lesath, immediately throwing Greg into a medical ward in
Dorie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
by A. M. Kherbash
due 9-30-2019
self-published
4.0/5.0

#netgalley. #Lesath

What a wild ride! This was really creepy, some parts were gory, building atmosphere was really well done. This is a psychological thriller that worked for me, overall.

Greg, a loner living in his car, has heard of an old abandoned building in the forest. Its surrounded by hot wire and broken glass. Curiosity gets the best of him, and he wants to see what's inside the building.
He wakes up inside the building, with gauze on
Istoria Lit
A creepy little read for the cold long nights as we edge into winter. This book is for readers who like something strange, unusual and the unexpected. I really enjoyed the weird and experimental feel that it had. I would recommend this for those looking for something strange.
Justyna
I am a fan of psychological horror because it truly brings the tension that I love in the horror genre. This book throws you right into the situation from the beginning. Greg, an amateur journalist, wakes up in a cell. He finds himself to be "captive" due to a case of mistaken identity and though a doctor claims to be an ally, can Greg really trust him? What is going on in this facility and will Greg make it out? WHO IS GREG? With every page, I found myself wondering what was real and what ...more
LaertesDevito
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This ARC's been sitting on my TBR list for a while now.
My interest has been yo-yo-ing with every bout of positive and negative reviews. And as much as I like to think I am an original individual with an individual mind and individual tastes, I'm like everyone, subject to the influence of numbers and popular opinion.
The reviews have been divisive and all it did was make me put it off thinking it was just one of those books with an attractive cover and a promising premise that doesn't deliver on
Jim
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book from Netgalley.

Lesath by A.M. Kherbash is taut, eerie, and disconcerting. It's a modern creature feature of a book, which embraces tropes of Gothic literature, psychological horror and X-files style secrets to create a surreal journey through... What? A prison? An asylum? A mad scientist's laboratory? All three? It never becomes entirely clear.

Indeed, not a whole lot does become entirely clear. The protagonist, Greg, an aimless man living from
Timothy Grills
Disclaimer: I received this book from NetGalley. Thank you, NetGalley and Kherbash for your work.

I wanted to like this book more than I did. I really struggled reading it even though it was shorter than a lot of the books that I have encountered before. However, there was something about the way that Greg, the main character, narrated that I just couldn't figure out. Some of the text seemed to coalesce around images that weren't vivid--thus, I could not picture them. However, I do think that
Stephie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What a weird reading experience this was. I spent nearly all of this book confused at what was happening and who was who. This is definitely the author’s intention, as they have stated on Goodreads they wanted to write an unconventional narrative that leaves much open to interpretation.

Lesath reminds me a bit of Jeff Vandermeer’s Annihilation series. That is a very mysterious story and also doesn’t really provide any answers, however I felt satisfied at the end, unlike Lesath.

Literally
Chad Guarino
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This one may require some future re-reads.

Lesath plays out like a waking nightmare: you're immediately dropped into the brain of the narrator, a seemingly random, out of work journalist investigating an abandoned complex in the middle of nowhere. He's promptly knocked out and becomes a defacto prisoner of the actually-not-so-abandoned complex. Explanations are in short supply throughout this taut novel: characters appear and disappear with dizzying rapidity, POV changes come in intense bursts,
Jennifer M.
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you read Borne? Read Borne. Then read Lesath. They both fall into that "weird" genre, which is becoming an actual genre for books. I'm finding that I'm drawn to this weirdness. Maybe it's because I'm weird, I don't know. ANYWAY, Lesath starts out with guy who is being imprisoned because he looks like another prisoner who escaped and also looks like him and could he take the place of this guy so no other prisoners know there's been a breakout. Honestly, what the hell is that?

It's a damn good
Brenda Feinen
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very different from my usual. Overall, the bulk of the book is confusing and at times challenging to keep track of the time frame. The ending helped piece together the story line without providing all the answers. The author doesn't give much away, just a few tidbits to enhance the mystery and confusion of the reader. Very well done.
I couldn't put it down - the creep factor is 5/5, suspense 5/5, interest 5/5. Seriously - the creep factor.
I love the cover - definitely grabbed my
Aimee Lee
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no Idea what to say about this book. I loved the story and it kept me on my toes with twists and turns and unexplainable events. However, no loose ends were tied up and it ended leaving me with as many, if not more, questions that I started with which was disappointing. I hope this means there will be a second installment.
Haya
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.M Kherbash this book is amazing it’s such a good book I want to read it again thankyou so much can’t wait for your next book ...more
Amelia
I received an ARC of this from NetGalley and I ended up DNF'ing this at about 50%. I think that this could be executed greatly in film but as a book, I found the entire plot confusing and it took way too much energy to keep going so I chose to not continue reading. There were definitely moments that had me wanting to continue to find out what was going on but overall this was just boring to me.
Morgane Krauth
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Saleh Ahmed
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should get my book club on this (a.k.a what the hell did I read?)
Vila
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there's a sequel, sign me up for it. Kherbash is my new favorite writer!
Anis Mahat
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes you wonder what personal demons the writer was battling while writing this...
Dk Singh
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Add this to your Sbooktober/Spookathon/October-themed Read-A-Thon!
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions - "Lesath" by A M Kherbash 2 211 Aug 19, 2019 07:34AM

• Be More Pirate: Or How to Take On the World and Win
  • Guardian Blood (Primal Shadows Book 1)
  • Super Soldiers: A Salute to the Comic Book Heroes and Villains Who Fought for Their Country
  • The Book of the Underdog: The Manual to Rise to the Top, Win Over the Competition and Crush your Boss
  • Women Utopia: The Feminists are Here to Exterminate
  • The Labrador Response
  • The Maid of the Mist
  • The Maid of the Mist
  • After the bombs fell
  • Violet
  • Drift: Collected Short Stories
  • Ever Alice
  • How To Pay Off Your Mortgage In Five Years: Slash your mortgage with a proven system the banks don't want you to know about (2018 Edition) (Payoff Your Mortgage Book 2)
  • Another Five Patients
  • Awareness: (The Hero Within)
  • Flying With Kindness
  • Working with Norwegians
  • One by One
“The quirky nature of unidentified noise is that it usually ceases whenever one stops to listen.” 0 likes
“Like a living body, no running building is without its small, unaccountable bumps and muffled clanks; yet even if they’re mostly benign noise, at night they’re magnified by the ever-present hush, and their unfamiliarity never fails to inflame the imagination of the sleepless newcomer.” 0 likes