Start by marking “The Perfect Culture: The Search for Paradise from a Monty Python Perspective” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Culture: The Search for Paradise from a Monty Python Perspective

The Perfect Culture: The Search for Paradise from a Monty Python Perspective

He’s seeking a place to belong. His only tool is philosophical satire…

Thomas Gephardt loses no love for his rural Indiana home. Struck with raging wanderlust, the small-town college student heads for France armed with nothing but a thirst for stimulating conversation. So starts Thomas’s ego-bruising first leg of his ill-fated quest for cultural perfection.

Struggling to fit
Paperback, First, 280 pages
Published October 14th 2019 by Cicero Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Culture

Start your review of The Perfect Culture: The Search for Paradise from a Monty Python Perspective
Julia
Oct 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book for free thanks to BookSirens and am leaving this review voluntarily.

When I first started reading this, I was immediately reminded of a close friend of mine. The main character, Thomas, is so similar to my friend, especially in their love for history. I was definitely interested since the start because I could imagine my friend saying the exact same things about how history is important and getting annoyed at anyone who only thought about partying and
Diedra Drake
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literary-fic, travel
‘The Perfect Culture’ is an interesting romp through the travel adventures of a mid-western college-aged young man. Thomas feels disconnected from his peers, and also from his ruralfamily roots. While he seems to have the impression that his inability to feel part of the group is due to his superior intelligence, it is apparent to the reader that his massive social awkwardness is the more likely culprit. One day he is struck by the concept of study abroad and international travel and finds ...more
Al
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2019
The problem with this book isn’t with the message it is attempting to impart on the reader. That message, which I’ll discuss shortly, is not only valid, but also something that could and should be of value to many potential readers. The problem is that the book tries to be something that it’s not (at least not in the form it’s taken) rather than what it wants and needs to be.

Anyone who has studied fiction writing has been exposed to the maxim that teaches a budding novelist to “show, don’t tell.
Heather
I was provided with an ARC copy of The Perfect Culture by Brent Robins, in order to read and then review online. I eagerly anticipated delving into this book because of the similarities I had with the main character, Thomas.

• He’s originally from Indiana, went to college in Indiana (albeit a fictitious university – perhaps one that can be likened to IU East), and lived in France. He lived and worked in another country (France, Japan, and Israel).

• I’m originally from Indiana, went to college at
T.S.
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of wry humor and sharp wit, The Perfect Culture follows the exploits of a young man from rural Indiana who wants to escape his inhibited surroundings and explores different cultures around the world. Overwhelmed with relentless alienation with his surroundings, Thomas Gephardt decides to travel around the world and explores his conflicting urges for intellectual conversations and divine perfection. After he completes school, his travel plans take him to a French city for three months and ...more
BookTrib.com
While walking to his French language class in Bordeaux, Thomas Gephardt muses, “We are free to travel down any road that we please in our mind, or any bridge, any ocean.”

This quote expertly sums up the intellectual protagonist of The Perfect Culture (Cicero Publishing, LLC) by Brent Robins. While Thomas journeys far from his hometown in rural Indiana to live in France, Japan and Israel, he also deeply probes each moment with anecdotes and apprehensions. Each page becomes its own journey.

Robins
Susana Duarte
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is interesting but it may not be for everybody tastes.
The main reason for that is because, even thought there is dialogues, most of the story is told through the inner thoughts and reflections of the main character.
There is not much action, but there are a lot of adventures, and I did find it interesting punting myself in shoes of someone that leaves his home to live and work in another country. Japan and Israel were the most interesting for me as they are more foreign.
As with all
Jen DW
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
This book is a written in a very different format than what I’m used to reading. It’s in the third person, and it’s very much like a traveler’s journal with lots of the traveler’s musings alongside his experiences. It is truly a book about introspection, self growth, and an effort to find a place to belong.

Thomas is a quirky character who realizes in college that there is more to life than what he has experienced in rural Indiana. He decides to work and travel abroad to see what else the world
Bonnie Binger
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isn’t my normal genre of book that I read, but I actually liked it. I felt like I’d received a true 1st hand account of the experiences of a young man, beginning his world travels. I liked how descriptive the author is; I felt like I was watching a movie in my head reading the graphic descriptions of riding through France with “race car Paul”, the beauty of the temples in Kyoto, and the party district in Tel Aviv, among other things.

I felt that some things may have been overly detailed for
Judith
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
Well worth reading. This is an interesting and totally different kind of travel account. I think it is best used along with traditional Dorling Kindersley travel books. Perfect culture is an in-depth account of several travel destinations that delves into the essence of the country in question. so much more than an ordinary tourist would have time for or in some cases an interest, to discover during a usual two week holiday period. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in ...more
Amy
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
The Perfect Culture by Brent Robins is a different and uniquely written book. It was a little slow at times, but mostly an enjoyable and fun read. It has quite a bit of humor that made me laugh at times. I was given the opportunity to listen to the audio version of the book with David George narrating. Mr George did a great job performing the way I believe the author wanted the story to be told.
I am giving The Perfect Culture three and a half stars.
I received the audio version of this book
Pat Eroh
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This world traveler has a heart like mine when I was younger. I loved to travel and yet, there are so many places I have yet to see and would love to see, travel is much less important these days. But, as the author describes in this wonderful satirical story, I think upon the same. Step outside of your comfort zone but really, the most important part of life is right where you are or were, after visiting other cultures. It almost makes me wish to go out again. Perhaps if I could.

I received a
Rebeca Núñez
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
** Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review **
Tengo que decir que este libro no fue lo que esperaba. Fue agradable de todas maneras leer sobre las experiencias de alguien con quien me pude identificar en algunos puntos.
La historia es contada con humor, lo cual hace que sea de lectura muy fácil y amena. Es interesante el punto de vista que este libro da sobre los lugares, la gente de ellos, etc.
Bryan Klooz
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book was enjoyable, well written with good flow. Found it interesting to experience foreign travel through someone else's eyes as I have not traveled abroad. The main character was easy to relate to, with lots of funny inner dialogue, while he was interacting with others. Learned a great deal about the nuances of the different cultures he visited. Would recommend to anyone who would like to experience global travel for the price of a book.
Kathleen Lierop
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
When you like to read a lovely travel adventure, you certainly have to read this fantastic book. The character has a lot of humor and it's written all very well. I liked it! I received an advance review copy for free by BookSirens. Thank you for given my this great chance!
Nicola
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful and thought-provoking account of a young American's first experience of foreign cultures.
Andrew Robins

• A Perfect Society: A Skin Trials Novella
  • Athena's Choice
  • Ants In My Blood
  • The Everett Exorcism
  • The Pain Colony (The Colony Book 1)
  • Dakota Burn (Leine Basso #8)
  • Closing Montage
  • The Adventures of Augie March
  • The Elements of the Crown (The Elements of Kamdaria)
  • Seizing Year Four (Grim Reaper Academy #4)
  • Becoming The Red Witch (Major Arcana Academy #1)
  • The Unforgettable Series: A Complete Romantic Suspense Collection (3-Book Box Set)
  • Second Chances: A Control Series Spin Off
  • One More Song
  • Rocked Senseless: A Stand-Alone Rock Star Romance
World travel has been a huge part of my life since I was twenty years old. After all of these exotic experiences, I wanted to share it in some form. Combined with my interests in history and satire, what was the best way to accomplish this task? A novel!

I currently live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I have many diverse interests, such as reading, singing (choir and karaoke), exercise, and movies.

I