Start by marking “The Ables” as Want to Read:
The Ables

The Ables

(The Ables #1)

I did have fantastic hearing, mostly by virtue of being blind. But that couldn't actually mean that he's trying to tell me I have super powers, right? Because that would be ridiculous.

It wasnt the sex talk he expected. Phillip Sallingers dad has told him hes a custodiana guardianand his genetically inherited power is telekinesis. Hell learn to move objects with his mind.
Audio CD
Published June 10th 2019 by Tantor Audio (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Ables, please sign up.
Todd Elias,

Yes, we are publishing a hardcover. We have it in our database but Amazon hasn't updated it yet. The ISBN is 9781684423378.

And not a legit…more
Elias,

And not a legit publisher. Ouch. I can tell you we work really hard to be legit. I mean we have been named to PW's fastest growing publisher list like 5 times and have over 5,000 titles, but we will keep working at it.

Todd Bottorff
President & Publisher
Turner Publishing

(less)
Mike I guess it depends on the 5th grader. The book includes some graphic violence, but it's not graphically depicted. (i.e. a character gets repeatedly…moreI guess it depends on the 5th grader. The book includes some graphic violence, but it's not graphically depicted. (i.e. a character gets repeatedly slammed against a wall, however, there isn't a description of blood and bone etc.)

There is some cursing, but it's kept to a minimum. (I can really only think of a few instances, fewer than five, when a character swears.)

The themes are teen/young adult appropriate, like friendship and overcoming adversity. In general, it's a coming of age story with a twist. (less)

Start your review of The Ables
Steph
Mar 25, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So Jeremy from CinemaSins is taking his hand at writing, huh? I only have one thing to say here, Scene does not contain a lap dance *ding*. Looking forward to reading it
Noah Kneipp
There better be an Everything Wrong With The Ables....
Okay now that I've properly read the book, all I can say is that I really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny, easy to read and uplifting. I recommend this book highly.
Mark Schlatter
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-book
I picked up this book (and actually preordered it) because the author is one of the founders of Cinema Sins --- one of my favorite YouTube channels and an excellent provider of genre-focused snark. I also liked the high concept; we follow a group of disabled middle school students who also have superpowers. Unfortunately, their disabilities sometimes hamper their ability to be super, as in the case of our protagonist Phillip, who is a blind telekinetic.

There's a lot of cleverness involved with
Rosie
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Be warned, this is a long review.

As an avid viewer of Cinema Sins, my excitement when I heard that Jeremy Scott had written the book was impalpable, especially when I heard what the book was about.

The Ables is set in a world where superheroes (Custodians) live in secret while defending the world from evil. Each hero has their own abilities and must learn to use these by attending a special school. The main character is a twelve-year old boy called Philip Sallinger, with the gift of telekinesis
Jule
Apr 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diversity-misc
You know cinemasins, that very funny and very sucessfull youtube channel about movies? Yeah, its voice and co-creator just published a book. Sadly, it is everything but funny. I (once again) wish goodreads had half-stars, because this deserves nothing more than 1,5 of them.

The Ables sounded like such an amazing story: a group of disabled middle schoolers discover they live in a world where everyone has superpowers. Sadly for them, their super powers and their disabilities clash - like in our
Marjolein
Read all reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I wanted to like this book so bad! I'm a big fan of the YouTube Channel CinemaSins and when I heard the voice behind it had written a book, I thought that was right into my alley. When I got an eARC of the book, I was very happy!

Jokingly I told my friends I would certainly go and sin the book just as the movies, but I didn't know that would be such a massive job. The premise of disabled super heroes working together to save the world and
Debbie
I have not heard of the author prior to requesting this book, so did not realize he had a large online following for his youtube channel. The book premise sounded interesting. I love superhero stories and I love when stories make a point of adding diversity to the cast.

Pros:
The plot moved along quickly, and all the characters were likeable. It was a coming-of-age story for superheroes. I liked that in the end, (view spoiler)
Heather Clawson
I liked this book, I really did, and I don't want to sound like some sort of femma-nazi, BUT...

...Where in the hell are the female characters?

No joke, this book is 100%, straight up Sausage Fest. And the reason I have such a problem with that, is because there is absolutely no reason why it needs to be. It's not like this is a story about an all-boys swim team, or a Liberace memoir. There are only two women of any note in the book, and they're both mentioned a total of maybe two times before
Jessica Strider
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Fairey
I picked up 'The Ables', as many people have, because I know Jeremy Scott through his Youtube channel. As a big fan of his, I was excited to see how he would turn his hand to writing; add an interesting premise that seemed straight down my street, and I was in.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed. And though Scott's Youtube fame will surely have boosted the sale of this book, I think it has also proved the book's downfall.

Now, that's not me suggesting that Youtubers can't write good books. But not
Nikki
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great!! Superheroes with disabilities, who are dimensional characters and have an awesome friendship. This book made me laugh and cry, and want to go to superhero school. I would have liked some more girl characters though.
Selina
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I so so so wanted to like this novel! The idea is fun and unique. The characters, at first, seemed fully fleshed out and engaging. However, this is a great example of good ideas with poor execution and sloppy writing.

From just a reader perspective: Phrases and ideas are constantly repeated, and the same few character ticks are constantly used for the same characters, making them all seem very two dimensional. While this does leave room for sequels, I felt like there was very little emotion
Desiree
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH EM GEE THIS BOOK!

description

(Okay.. I just needed to get that out.)

The premise of the book is that there really are superheroes in the world, that go by the term custodians. And the main character, Phillip Sallinger, has superpowers but is also blind, therefore having to overcome his blindness to be able to use his superpower. The book starts with him going to school and building a team with his other disabled superhero friends and just goes on from there (Im trying to avoid spoilers here.)

STOP READING
Tabea Vanessa
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book with all my heart and always will!
Ric Chapin
I have to be honest.

I sorta-kinda, really-really dont like this book.

Im hopeful Jeremy Scott finds it in his heart to forgive an anonymous asshole on the internet for picking it apart, but -

The Ables:

This book feels as though someone took 3 separate stories like X-Men, Harry-Potter, and Hunger Games, blended them together and then tried to stich a plot from the choicest bits of each.

I can picture Jeremy at a table thinking to himself: Okay, how can I incorporate what I talk about in
Michelle Elliott
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a disappointment. I am not super familiar with CinemaSins, so I don't care about who the author is, but I was excited about the premise. Only a couple chapters in, I started wondering if this was a self-published book. Yup! The worst part is that if only Jeremy Scott had taken the time to get an agent and a proper editor with a real publishing house, this could have been an excellent book. The story itself is interesting, but he does an extremely mediocre job telling it, and there ...more
Mike
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You should know first that I am fan of Cinema Sins. Jeremy is half the writing team behind Cinema Sins and the narrator so when I saw on their Youtube channel that Jeremy had written a book I figured that I should check it out. It didnt hurt that John Dies at the End author David Wong has a nice little quote up over on the books website. I jumped when I saw that Netgalley had it up. The Ables is about a secret society of superpowered peoples living around us. We dont see them but they are there ...more
Mary the Library Dweller
2 out of 5 stars. It was okay.

I really wanted to like this book. I'm subscribed to CinemaSins, I love their videos, and when I found out Jeremy Scott had written a book, I was excited to read it. The cover looks intriguing, the title is short but interesting. It's a story about a kid who's blind but has superpowers in a town full of superpowered-people. How could it not be good?

Well. Here we are.

The main thing that really ruined this book for me was the monumental amount of telling instead of
Julia
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-current, ya
2.5 stars. Its never good when youre actively counting down the pages until the end of a book. Lets start with what I liked. Obviously, I thought it was great to have disabled superheroes-its a cool concept. I liked that they all worked really hard to get used to their powers and their plans always went terribly. Nothing felt easy and there were real stakes. I also (mostly) liked the end confrontation, it was definitely the most into the book that I got.

Things I didnt like (in no particular
sabrina caho

The miracle cure is like the original sin to all sins. Im tired of disabilities overcome in the easy way. Yeah, lets fix the blindness of the main character by giving him, wait for it, sight!

Even better if the sight comes with instant knowledge of colors, shapes, depth perception and all those little things normal babies take many years to learn.

*sigh*

Children trying to pass as mature rational adults, shocker! Especially when most adults are not mature or rational, kids can clearly do a much
Thegirlintheafternoon
Read for the Lawrence Library Summer Reading Challenge

I really can't properly express how disappointed I was by this book. I wanted to love it! It's got such a great premise: disabled superhero kids learning how to navigate their powers in the context of their disabilities? That is a GREAT premise. But this book was held back by being easily 100 pages too long; inconsistent characterization; exposition-heavy dialogue and an adult-looking-back-on-childhood narration device that undercut any
Tracey
Okay, I liked this book. I picked it just because of the cover and I needed something to read on the plane. The idea of a group of disabled kids who are super heroes and need to learn how to use their powers to overcome their disabilities sounds amazing and it is...there were just a few things that took me out of the novel. One, besides the mother and a teacher, there were no women or girls in this book. The author talked about a deaf girl whose super power was super hearing...and I was hoping ...more
Gergana
Apr 19, 2015 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Read from September 27 to 30, 2015
It's not bad, but it's just... inconsistent, repetitive, predictable, depressing, hard-to-follow towards the end, inconsistent x 20, illogical and boring... Not to mention THERE ARE NO GIRLS! Only one female side-character out of 20+ and she dies half way through. The villain was scary, but annoying. NO!
Sara Roncero-Menendez
This book was everything I wanted: humor, drama, adventure, plot twists. It was a ton of fun, I loved every moment and I could not put it down for long. I would pre-order a sequel in a heartbeat!
Geordie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really, really wanted to like this book.

It's the story of a group of disabled boys with super-powers. There's some fun adventure to this book, a good coming-of-age story, and it really has its heart in the right place with its treatment of the disabled. But there is so, so very much train-wreck to this book that I just can't enjoy it.

I felt like I couldn't go two pages without something jolting me out of suspension of disbelief. A boy in a wheelchair 'scampers'. The blind MC gains the ability
Kira Simion
Nov 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I saw that this was by someone who worked on CinemaSins.
Wendy
This book was pretty good. I don't regret reading it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected to. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will enjoy it more than me, though -- I'm not sure if it's a 'guy thing,' or a 'kid thing,' since superheroes are loved by people of all ages and genders, but I suspect it just isn't my cup of tea. I shouldn't be surprised, as I have never understood/joined the superhero/comic book bandwagon. The only superhero movies I've seen are the Christopher Reeve ...more
T.J.
reading. (ding)

i liked the world, i liked most of the characters (henry was my favs) but it had some issues. i've never been a 12 year old boy, much less a handicapped 12 year old superhero but if i were, i don't think i'd say the word 'darn' as much. maybe that comes down to personality, but it didn't strike me as natural. another thing that bothers me isn't exactly specific to the story so it's not really a fault on the part of the book, but i have issues with places like sky high where the
Anna Priemaza
Would have given it four stars instead of three if it passed the Bechdel Test.
John Rumsby
I have a hard time critiquing a book like this, since this is a rare case where the book isn't especially good...and yet I still find myself recommending to kids, parents, teachers, students, and anyone that's living - or has lived - with a disability of some sort. Bit of a paradox for me, but that's also why I feel hard-pressed to write a review here. Hope this'll be interesting for anyone who cares to read it!

So, the plot of "The Ables" centers around Phillip Sallinger, a teenager who learns
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons
  • The Twilight Man: Rod Serling and the Birth of Television
  • The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)
  • The Contest (Everest, #1)
  • Eureka: Road Less Traveled (Eureka, #3)
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • The Dog Who Saved Christmas and Other True Animal Tales
  • Amelia Earhart: Courage in the Sky
  • The Climb (Everest, #2)
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Far Sector (2019-)  #1
  • Far Sector (2019-) #2
  • The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek
  • Undeading Bells  (Fred, the Vampire Accountant #6)
  • Translucid
  • Batman: Harley and Ivy
  • The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks
  • Supernova Era
Jeremy Scott is a writer and entertainer from Nashville, TN. He is the co-creator & narrator of CinemaSins, a YouTube channel dedicated to movie-related comedy that has amassed over 3.8 million subscribers in under 2 years' time. A former online marketing consultant, Jeremy spends his time writing, being sarcastic, and greenly hoping to find a good laugh once a day.

The Ables (2 books)