Start by marking “The Switching Hour” as Want to Read:
The Switching Hour

The Switching Hour

Published August 1st 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Switching Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Switching Hour

Start your review of The Switching Hour
Damaris Young
May 29, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Never stay out after the Switching Hour… never let the outside in….

Amaya lives with her grandmother, her small brother Kaleb and her pet goat Tau in a land suffering a terrible drought. Every night, the doors must be locked at twilight, the Switching Hour, because the drought has awoken Badeko, a creature that snatches children away to eat their dreams.

Three days later, the memory that they existed is gone from those that knew them, and those that are left are afflicted with The Sor
Lydia Massiah
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this wonderful MG story really quickly as it was so gripping!

Young Amaya's quest kept me on the edge of my seat, as she travels through a drought-ravaged landscape to find her little brother Kaleb, and rescue him from the dreadful monster, the Badeko, before the Sorrow Sickness wipes all memory of him from her mind.
Beautiful, evocative writing capturing lands filled with dagger-tooth jackals, wrathclaw cats, heat, dust, and most of all - fear of the Switching Hour: when night
Roubeeni Mohan (bookish_owl06)
he Switching Hour was a captivating, spine-tingling story, infused with an underlying sense of danger in an atmosphere of stifling heat, influenced by the landscape of Southern Africa. The writing is sublime and has taken me on the most amazing journey of fear, awe and heartbreak, but also allowed me to see the immense courage and determination of others in the face of seemingly hopeless and abject defeat… this is definitely a tale to be devoured in a single sitting.

Twelve-year-old A
legenbooksdary
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A gripping middle grade story of survival against the evil monster called Badeko, of a friendship that will last even through hardship and the importance of love amongst family. That even though they may no longer be around in this world, it is still possible to keep them constant on our memories and to remember them in all their glory.

I really thought that somehow the main character, Amaya was the one who was going to be kidnapped but it turns out that she's the one who has to resc
Mary Rees
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! This was a captivating, spine-tingling read imbued throughout with an underlying sense of danger in an environment of stifling heat, inspired by the landscape of Southern Africa. The writing is exquisite and lyrical and took me on the most incredible journey of fear, awe and heartbreak, but also let me see the incredible bravery and strength of others in the face of seeming hopelessness and abject loss … this really is a story to be devoured in a single sitting.
Twelve-year-old Amaya’s c
NizRite
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
An atmospheric read set during a drought, with a dream-eating monster that kept me looking over my shoulder as I read. The setting was so immersive, I was right there feeling the heat and parched dryness. For example,
The heat stung my scalp and I could smell my skin burning as my shoulders absorbed the sun.

I read this in just two sittings over the course of a day. There's plenty of peril to keep the pages turning, and a resourceful protagonist and deliciously creepy antagonist to make you/>
Julia Thum
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
If, like me, you like a lot of the natural world, a sprinkling of magic, a good dose of environmental awareness and a riveting adventure in your stories, then The Switching Hour is the one for you.
It is a story about hope, courage and the importance of family. It is a thrilling adventure and I urge you to read it.
Juliette Forrest
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damaris Young brings your senses alive with this beautifully written tale of drought, adventure and the unbreakable bonds of family. Watch out for Bedeko - I absolutely love a book with a creature that gives you the shivers and this one is genius. A stunning debut that is a must-read.
Vincent Ripley
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book review to follow soon on www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com
Louise Elliott
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a gripping and atmospheric story which had me hooked from the first page. Just brilliant!
Christina Reid
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fantastically atmospheric and genuinely creepy -Watch out for my full review coming soon!
Lucy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I raced through this! Beautiful descriptions and edge of your seat stuff. Amazing!
Emma Read
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, evocative story, which taps into such a fundamental fear - forgetting. Amaya has to race to save her small brother from the dream-eater, before she forgets he ever existed. Under the scorching, drought-bringing sun this was a breathless, tense read ... thank goodness for Tau the goat, a most loyal, dependable sidekick! I recommend this book to everyone I can, especially KS2 readers.
Lorna
Sep 16, 2019

• The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • The Lost Tide Warriors (Storm Keeper, #2)
  • The Ghouls of Howlfair
  • A Pocketful of Stars
  • The Good Thieves
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society, #1)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Can You See Me?
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • The Longest Night of Charlie Noon
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • The International Yeti Collective