Start by marking “Captain Stellar” as Want to Read:
Captain Stellar

Captain Stellar

(Captain Stellar #1)

Time to be a hero.

Cal Bolden is a college dropout working in construction and has difficulty committing to his boyfriend, Jin. On the night of a meteor shower, Cal’s life changes when a genius scientist named Dr. Almighty abducts him, giving him superpowers against his will.

Thrust into a laboratory hidden in Chicago, Cal meets Fernando and Margo, si
Published June 25th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Captain Stellar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Stellar

Start your review of Captain Stellar
Evie Drae
This week, I read the debut novel Captain Stellar by R.J. Sorrento. I’ve read tons of snippets by this author on the #writeLGBTQ hashtag, so I was excited to dive in. And Sorrento didn’t disappoint. This was a delightful and unexpected read.

The superhero genre isn’t one I’m familiar with per se. I’ve seen a few of the recent hyped-up major motion pictures from the Marvel and DC Comics universes, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a superhero story. (I did read a novella where the “supe
Lily Michaels
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Today's review is a super fresh and unique read for me. I'll admit upfront I am a major sucker for super hero stories. Like... super sucker. It speaks to my happily ever after loving heart in so many ways. Good triumphing over evil, love winning out over all...

But I digress. Captain Stellar starts in the way every good super hero story does, with an average, everyday Joe just trying to find his best life now. That is our Cal. Now, he might be just a regular dude, but he also happens
Adrienne Bross
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With great power comes great responsibility.

That saying has been drilled into the heads of every superhero fan for decades. Captain Stellar comes at this question in a fun, adventurous, and at times heartachingly serious manner. What is that responsibility? To one's loved ones? To people in general? To oneself? We follow Cal's journey as he attempts to learn about a world he never dreamed could exist, and if he had, never once thought to be a part of. With imperfect characters who are just
Alice Rachel
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!
It was my first time reading about queer superheroes.
More, please!! 😍😍😍
Roberta Blablanski
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captain Stellar was my first superhero read, and what a STELLAR read it was!

The world-building was amazing. I found myself immersed into the queer superhero world Sorrento created. Cal and Fernando are great characters, and I became super invested in them from the beginning. There are also several other minor characters that work really well with the story. They are fleshed out enough to add something extra and keep the plot moving without muddying up the story.

I am looking forward
Joyfully Jay
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: camille
A Joyfully Jay review.

If nothing else, Captain Stellar capitalizes on the superhero craze, but balances it with a reluctant hero. First, Cal is basically kidnapped after work and wakes up in a strange location with the ability to fly. Rather than enter into a Peter Parker montage of “this is awesome, let’s figure it out,” Cal does what he does best: suppresses the fact that he can fly. There is a brief mention of him having to be careful at his construction job with his newly discover
Isabelle Adler
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I'll write a fuller review a bit later, but for now I have to say that this was, as the name would suggest, absolutely stellar.
If you want a book about queer superheroes (starting out reluctant and confused, but slowly coming into their own) that will keep you on your toes until the very end, this is the one for you.
I have great hope for the sequel, as I'm super intrigued to read more about these characters.
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved! Review soon!💕
Naomi Tiessen
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BOOK REVIEW -- Captain Stellar, By R.J. Sorrento

R.J. Sorrento’s queer superhero story is, simply put, a breath of fresh air.

I’ll be honest: I’m not generally drawn towards superhero novels. The last book I read that had humans with superpowers probably included werewolves and angsty vampires who sparkled in sunlight. So…it’s been a while, to say the least.

It was an easy read, with all the goods that, by all rights, should accompany a well-balanced novel—drama,
Kerri Davidson
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What made me purchase Captain Stellar? I don't remember. I think I was just looking for something different.
Why do I love this book? The story! From beginning to end, there was not one dull moment. The pacing was PERFECT and I was spoon fed information as needed. Not once was I drawn out of the story by unnecessary flashbacks or irrelevant tangents.
It normally takes me a while to get to know the characters and invest in a book. Not this one. Chapter One had me hooked. I actually forc
Mary Waugaman
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captain Stellar and His Dream team

Captain Stellar is a fast paced superhero adventure with danger, slow burn romance, humor, and delicious descriptions of food. It was enjoyable read which kept me turning the pages to learn what happened next. If you are looking for a story about friendship, duty, and love with a mastermind villain, Captain Stellar is your book. Can’t wait for more.
Julie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then you run across a book like “Captain Stellar” and it leaves you wowed, and that I was! This book grabbed my attention from the very first page. Not only is the storyline interesting and exciting, the characters are so well written. I honestly couldn’t put this book down, and I can’t wait for book two so I can see what RJ Sorrento has in store for these amazing characters.
Danielle Roux
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent twist on a superhero origin story! The characters are way more complex and adorable than your typical superhero tale (especially Fernando). Lots of action, some romance, some angst, and food descriptions! Oh the food descriptions! Love how this novel feels like a cozy romance and a superhero movie at the same time. I can’t wait to read more!
Becca
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so fun, great characters. Goofy, adorable, perfectly flawed Cal is super relatable. Fernando is gorgeous and waspish. Margot pops up at all the wrong times. Can't wait for book two and for Jin's novella. Really enjoyable read.
Patricia
JenEleyse
Jun 26, 2019
Eugene Galt
R.J. Sorrento
Jun 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Jul 01, 2019
Cranberry
Jul 03, 2019

• Bully
  • Golden Boy and the Two Bears (Happily Ever Asher, #2)
  • When Red Cried Wolf (Happily Ever Asher, #1)
  • A King in Wonderland (Happily Ever Asher, #3)
  • Being Hospitable
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Jacob Michaels Is Trouble (Point Worth #5)
  • Beauregard and the Beast (Once Upon a Vegas Night, #1)
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • Copper Creek (Sawyer's Ferry #3)
  • Close to Home (Sawyer's Ferry, #4)
  • Bishop Ridge (Sawyer's Ferry, #2)
  • Attracted To My Stepbrother
  • The Geek and His Bad Boys
  • The New Boy Next Door, Uh-Oh! (Cute Gay Romance #4)
  • Dedicated (Rhythm of Love, #1)
  • The Gravity of Nothing
  • Out in the Field (Out in College, #4)