Start by marking “The Women of Dauphine” as Want to Read:
The Women of Dauphine

The Women of Dauphine

When Cassie’s family moves into a decrepit house in New Orleans, the only upside is her new best friend. Gem is witty, attractive, and sure not to abandon Cassie—after all, she’s been confined to the old house since her murder in the ’60s.

Published June 10th 2019 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about The Women of Dauphine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Women of Dauphine

Start your review of The Women of Dauphine
Lex Kent
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.50 Stars. This is a book that was well written but hard to read. Trigger warnings include violence, abuse, sexual assault, suicide, and the one that really bothered me, conversion therapy. Actually, had I realized this book included children in conversion therapy I would have passed on it. I do want to make clear though this is not NineStar Press’ fault or the author’s but mine for not reading the whole book blurb. I find book blubs to often be too spoilerish, so I tend to skim or ignore them ...more
Colleen Corgel
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is very uncomfortable to read. There are a lot of heavy topics in this book. I think the one that will stand out the most is the conversion therapy. It highlights the cruelty of the practice and how it can simply break people. Luckily, we do have some hope in Cassie and her relationship with a ghost. Weird, but I think necessary, given what Cassie had to endure.

Since this is a YA novel, there is an obligatory love triangle - in this case, between human Cassie and Jem and her ex-girlfriend;
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
An uncomfortable read as a non LGBTQIA person, but necessarily uncomfortable. If you get my meaning. It’s so upsetting what Cassie endures abc knowing people still suffer like this is unbelievable, but that’s why I say necessary uncomfortable read. These need to be shared and read so people understand, but rant over beyond that the book is wonderfully written, Cassie is a great strong inspiring character. Highly recommended read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest
Jacinda Literature Babe
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley, NineStar Press and Ms. Deb Jannerson for the opportunity to read and review this Advanced Readers Copy.
4 stars!
Although listed as a YA, this book should not be overlooked by adults. Appropriately published during Pride Month, it is both powerful and painful.

An exquisite tale of forbidden love and the struggle to just "be".

A young girl fights to find herself in a family filled with parental brutality, extreme homophobia and strict religious beliefs.

Cassie, having just mo
Kelsey Abney
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Women of Dauphine accurately captures the fraught pendulum between queer joy and queer sorrow over the course of an abusive adolescence where the paranormal is what you want to be normal and the adults in the room are the true failures. Nice positive end appearance of Tulane Gender Studies. This book straddles the line between first romance and gritty teen drama that fans of Han Nolan, Alys Arden, and Riverdale are sure to be interested in.

It’s important to note that by reading the authors o
Aditi
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
I really enjoyed this book although it was outside of my usual genre preferences. The Women of Dauphine has made me interested in reading other paranormal/supernatural novels as well. It also had a really nice lesbian main character and a sweet, pretty realistic sapphic romance (other than the ghost parts).
The story begins with an eight year old Cassie moving into an old house and meeting fifteen year old ghost Gem. Slowly the two become best friends and a little more than best friends as well.
Heather Bennett
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Women of Dauphine is a well written book with interesting characters. The storyline is entertaining and fascinating. The writer pulled this off almost perfect.
Brigid Kapuvari
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Official rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5

Initial Reaction —
This is a lot to unpack from this story, holy cow. It’s definitely not the most heartwarming read, for there is seldom a happy moment that lasts more than a few pages, but it is undoubtedly real. It talks about real issues and subjects, such as sexuality, conversion therapy, PSTD, child abuse, dysfunctional families, and so much more. The only pivotal flaw is that emotional punch to back all of that up is not entirely there.

Full Review —
I was given t
Kaycie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, netgalley
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for giving me an electronic copy to read and review.

I have many mixed feelings about this book. It was wildly engaging, but particularly the end disappointed me. It went into really deep topics and then abandoned it halfway. It left me raw. It didn’t resolve those feelings. It’s like she tried to stamp a band aid on them.

This offered no emotional resolution. She’s obviously a good writer, but this feels unfinished. I keep feeling like I need to come bac
Kavanagh Koh
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Women of Dauphine may perhaps be the first fictional book i've read that recounts the adversities of those in the LGBTQIA community might have faced. I've avoided books like this as i found hit really close to home.

So, thank you so much to the publishers at NineStar Press for providing me with this ARC, also an opportunity for me to branch out into foreign genre.

It was horrifying to read the horror and humiliation that Cassie had to endure. There were so many wrongs and the book did well tr
Simply Madi
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you for #netgalley for giving me this book in return for a review.

Opinions:

From first glance, I was intrigued by this story and concept of a romantic relationship between a human and a ghost. The setting of New Orleans also drew me in as well as the gorgeous cover!

The book spans several years, from when the main character Cassie is eight, to when she begins college. The story covers a long time in a small number of pages, however, the flow of the narrative always felt natural and the devel
Callie Reynolds
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good pacing, very real feeling characters. It made me miss New Orleans.
Jess
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Samantha
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Gay girls? Paranormal circumstances? Heck yeah!

Over-descriptive conversion therapy? Become a whole other story in the middle before going back to the original setting? Less heck yeah.

I really wanted to love this book and I just couldn't. I think if you're a little more into the paranormal than I am or a little less squeamish, this book would be a good fit. It just didn't work for me though.

(Thanks NetGalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this book.)
Morgan
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This had me at lesbian ghost story set in my prime angst years of the 90s--what more could one ask for? Ultimately, this ended up being quite a bit darker than what I had been expecting with trigger warnings out the yin-yang. It is not an easy book to get through and try as I might afterwards, I cannot even describe an actual plotline beyond the main character coming to realize she's gay, is in love with a ghost, and then surviving ex-gay(ex-ghost, apparently) conversion therapy. Even though it' ...more
Mollie
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sapphic, lgtbqia
When I first started “The Women of Dauphine” I was impressed with the rich prose and appreciated the detailed descriptions. However, as the story progressed my opinion changed. This book is shelved as YA but the main character does not think or act as an adult. I can understand a mature protagonist, but this was to such an extent that I felt alienated from the main character. Making mistakes and falling to the pressures of adolescence is part of being human. Cassie, the main character, was seemi ...more
Shawna Briseno
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I almost feel like this book needs a different rating for each half. It started out really good. Great character development, interesting historical tidbits, unique & intriguing storyline. But then it just kind of fell apart. The characters stopped being interesting and just became rather predictable. The ending didn’t mesh with the rest of the story and felt very rushed. Disappointing... ...more
Melissa
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
While the book seemed a little choppy in the beginning and seemed to end fairly abruptly, I ultimately enjoyed and appreciated it. I was drawn in with the paranormal circumstances description, but found an eye-opening story filled with issues the LGBTQIA community have endured and even continue to face. Overall, I would recommend this book to more than just fans of YA paranormal romance.
Moony MeowPoff
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was very different and very interesting read.
To be in love with a ghost and live with the consequenses, wow.
I liked Cassie alot, and how we got to follow her grow up with seeing and falling in love with a ghost.
Amanda Marbut
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All around fantastic book!
Savannah

As their connection becomes romantic, Cassie must keep more and more secrets from her religious community, which hates ghosts almost as much as it hates gays. Even if their relationship prevails over volatile parents and brutal conversion therapy, it may not ou
Elijah

• Strange Planet
  • In at the Deep End
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
  • The Shape of Night
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Ghost Bride
  • Gender Queer
  • Book Love
  • The Shadowglass (The Bone Witch, #3)
  • Till Death Do Us Part
  • The Mystwick School of Musicraft
  • The Secret Letter
  • Revolution
  • Twelve Unending Summers: Memoir of an Immigrant Child
  • Full Disclosure
  • Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir
  • No Tomorrow (Killing Eve, #2)
  • Just Lucky
Deb Jannerson is a New Orleans-based novelist and poet. Their dark, queer, paranormal YA debut, THE WOMEN OF DAUPHINE, was praised by Kirkus Reviews and was a finalist in the 2019 Best Book Awards. Jannerson also has two collections of poetry, RABBIT RABBIT (Finishing Line Press, 2016) and THANKS FOR NOTHING (Finishing Line Press, 2018); the latter was a finalist for the 2018 Golden Crown Award. T ...more

News & Interviews