Start by marking “The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)

The Hungry Ones

(The Messy Man #2)

At the outskirts of Maple City sits the Crossroads Motel, a throwback to the days when the motor lodge was king. Two years ago, the motel was the site of an act so brutal that its buildings were left to rot.

Jessie Voss, however, sees promise in the Crossroad's bare bones and buys it up, determined to breathe new life into the place.

When the Larson family shows up on her
Published May 28th 2019 by Harmful Monkey Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hungry Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hungry Ones

Start your review of The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/qzQFuyRpkWo

Chris Sorensen is the only horror author to make me love - not one, but TWO - haunted house stories.

I have said so many times that I don’t like reading about haunted buildings and that still remains true with the exception of one series: The Messy Man. I don't just like these books, I really love them. Yes, they still have a lot of the classic tropes of the subgenre, but they also draw on other forms of supernatural horror that hook me in the
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
3.5! Rounded up for Goodreads. Review originally posted to Cemetery Dance on August 8th, 2019
If you enjoy keeping up with all the new releases in horror, then no doubt you heard about 2018’s The Nightmare Room by Chris Sorensen. Book #1 of the Messy Man series received a warm welcome from the horror industry with glowing reviews across the board from multiple sources, including me! I loved The Nightmare Room. having this to say about it:

…a really well written haunted house story that’s easy to
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one had so much more dimension than the first one!
Mindi
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year I had the pleasure of reading book 1 of this series, and I loved it. However, I read a lot of books in a year, and by the time this one arrived at my door, many of the details in book 1 had faded. So I'm going to suggest that you definitely read book 1 first, mostly because this book picks up right where that book ended, but also because it's a really good read. You don't have to read book 1 to enjoy book 2, but who reads a series out of order, am I right?

The first book was about a
Michael Hicks
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
My review of THE HUNGRY ONES can be found at High Fever Books.

For as much as I dug Chris Sorensen’s debut last year with The Nightmare Room, I wasn’t quite sure about its series potential, how Sorensen would stretch this premise out over multiple books, or what directions it could be spun in. Getting into a series requires a degree of blind trust from the reader — you have to hope that the author knows what they’re doing, that they have some kind of plan in place for future installments, and
Emily
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
"Oblivion would be better than this hell."

The Hungry Ones is the sequel to The Nightmare Room, which was one of my favorite books last year. This book has two main characters, and one of them is the same main character from the last book (it took me a minute to realize this, though).

If possible, I would recommend reading the two books together. I was a little confused at times because I had a tough time remembering everything that happened in The Nightmare Room. This book begins where the
Hunter Shea
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Move over Bates Motel, we have a new rundown joint to stay at when we need our terror fix. The Hungry Ones is a follow up to Sorensen's wonderful debut novel, The Nightmare Room. No sophomore jinx here. In fact, The Hungry Ones ups the ante with more scares, mystery and flat out horror.

The book starts with a literal bang(s) at The Crossroads Motel, an opening drenched in blood and madness. Cut to two years later and we find Jessie Voss trying to build a new life for herself. What better way to
OutlawPoet
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to caution and encourage you read book 1 before reading this one. Caution you, because I do think you need the background to truly enjoy this. Encourage you because book one is fabulous and you should love it.

In this return to the Messy Man series, the author brings us chills, scares, and a bit of heartbreak. I loved our characters and was so worried for them!

Yes, the story gets a bit gruesome at times, but it's also a lot of fun!

And, honestly, even if you don't choose to read book 1
Cameron Chaney
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, 2019, horror, series
Thank you to the author for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

You can check out my full video review HERE, but overall I loved this book even more than the first one. While The Nightmare Room is a relatively simple haunted house story (with a fresh twist), this sequel dives even deeper, presenting a weird Barker-esque tale that promises even more thrills to come. I'm very much looking forward to the next book in Sorensen's Messy Man series! This is a horror event
Steve Stred
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

2018 was a banner year for indie authors, at least from my point of view. It may have been partly because I became significantly more involved in the community, but I think that played a small role in it.

As the releases kept coming, more and more indie authors pumped out fantastic release after fantastic release.

When all was said and done, Chris Sorensen’s release The Nightmare Room: Book 1 in The Messy Man Trilogy remained high on my list of
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
This is the sequel to The Nightmare Room, and I read them both in a two-day crazy haze of nightmare-fueled goodness. Sorensen is taking the haunted house trope to the next level, and I couldn’t be more here for it if I tried. Lucky for me, he is winding out the series with a third book, coming soon!

Interestingly, I think you could read this book as a standalone novel, but what really makes it sing and gives it a whole ’nother dimension is knowing how it connects to the events of the first book.
Tracy Robinson
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come next week on Sci Fi and Scary!

Here it is! Thanks to the author for sending me a copy for review consideration.

I fell in love with The Messy Man series last summer with the publication of The Nightmare Room. I actually read it twice, to be honest. Sorensen’s twist on a haunted house was refreshing and absolutely captivating. I wanted book 2 IMMEDIATELY. When the author announced this book I was stoked, but also worried. What if it went the route of other sequels and diminished
Don Gillette
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was once in a UH-1 (a Huey) flying from Keesler AFB to Camp Shelby and the main rotor seized. The pilot had to auto-rotate the thing to the ground and I was convinced we were going to die. Up until finishing The Hungry Ones, that was the wildest ride of my life.
One of the most gripping and mile-a-minute thrilling first chapters I've read...
But let me start off with the one negative thing, since you'll need to know it before tackling this book. Although you could read this as a "stand-alone"
Josh reading
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read The Nightmare Room, the first volume in the Messy Man series a year ago and was really looking forward to this planned sequel. Wow, great job Chris Sorensen, what a great continuation of the story. Part of what I really enjoyed about this sequel is it didn’t just focus on characters we knew from the first book, it introduced new characters and we got their POV on the Larson family from the first book. Also, Jessie, one of our protagonist has her own silent hurts and trauma that she is ...more
Angela Crawford
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Hungry Ones is a super creepy gem! Filled with horrors that will make your skin crawl and make you think twice about staying at that reopened motel. If your looking for some ghostly goodness the ones lurking in these pages are sure to fuel your nightmares long after you turn the last page. Highly recommended!!
Gavin
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full Review to follow on Kendall Reviews.

The Hungry Ones is the classic sequel. There's more of everything, more ghosts, more action, more set pieces, more gore, more violence, more fun.

Gone is the slow burn of the original and fans of the poignancy of The Nightmare Room may be disappointed but for me The Hungry Ones is a brilliant and worthy follow up.

Chris Sorensen yet again proves he can hook a reader. Chapters are skillfully written, tempting you to read just one more.

The initial scares are
tattooedreader13
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the sequel to the Messy Man series, highly recommend the audiobook read by the author, so good!
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin with this marvelous macabre tale. Usually a book two indicates a bridge piece, connecting the first and third books, but The Hungry Ones is different. The main difference being author Chris Sorensen. He knows how to spin a good yarn and weave a good web of storylines. Sorensen really showcases his talent with The Hungry Ones. I don’t know how he managed to top his debut, but he did in spectacular blood splattering fashion. There’s so much pain and suffering in this book. If ...more
Nick Sullivan
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From its powerful opening chapters to a multi-layered climax that will leave your head spinning, The Hungry Ones is a terrifying rollercoaster of dark visions and suspense. I lost count of the number of times I felt that tingling flush of chills at the back of my neck. Sorensen has a knack for creating detailed characters we care deeply about, and this one was particularly strong in that regard. Highly recommended!

If you haven't read The Nightmare Room, I'd recommend picking that up first. While
Emma
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the messy man series and it's just as scary as the first.
We meet new characters - Jess Voss and her friend Steph who reopen a motel two years after a massacre occured.
There is a crossover with the Larssons (main characters from the first book) which makes for some brilliant twists and turns.
The bloodiness and spookiness are so well written, you don't want to read this on a dark night on your own - seriously!
Brilliant stuff and can't wait for more from this author.
Kevin Jones
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Sequel That Left Me Hungry For More!

I was excited when I learned about this second book in The Messy Man series. I really enjoyed book 1 - The Nightmare Room - and the genuine sense of creep and mystery it layered on so masterfully. Not knowing what to expect from "The Hungry Ones," I can now say that this sequel wildly exceeded expectations. Playing with a larger cast of old and new characters, I loved how the story flipped between multiple points of view and alternate realities. To
Cherie Mitchell
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a horror story and this one gripped me by both its cover and blurb before the writing itself grabbed me and reeled me in. Absolutely loved the writing style and the story kept me flipping the pages to find out more. I will look for the other books in the series.
Scott Murray
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic sequel! Absolutely love the new and returning characters and can’t wait for more in this world!!
Zen Bookworm
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE the world (worlds) Sorensen created for us here. I like this even more than the first in the series, because we see things in a complete 360. This adventure lets us see from the eyes of a child, pulled into a world he does not understand, parents, oblivious to the spirits surrounding them and only fighting to save their child, a lost soul trying to protect his son, dark entities with evil intent, their servants, addicted to the power they are offered, and a psychic trying to ...more
Andrea Ward-Kelly
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This was very convoluted and confusing. I gave it three stars because the concept was interesting and I like the first book in this series, but this one just didn’t do it for me.
☺Trish
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this story, The Hungry Ones, to be a bit convoluted and confusing. I really do not enjoy "multiple planes of existence" explanations - many different realities all existing simultaneously, but it didn't really lessen my enjoyment of The Nightmare Room. (FYI: I also don't like the use of time travel to resolve problems either because, let's face it, you change one thing in the past and "everything" could change in the future - and in ways you neither expect or want.)
P. S. I really
Suzy Michael
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

Chris Sorenson is back with Book 2 in “The Messy Man” series with The Hungry Ones, another action packed, terrifying page turner that will keep you on the edge of your seat. This is no sophomore slump, but a strong, gut churning, terror filled second act in Sorenson's chilling haunted house Opus.

Chris Miller
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first read THE NIGHTMARE ROOM by Chris Sorensen, I was struck at what a powerhouse debut it was. The pacing was just right, the building tension getting tauter and tauter as the story progressed, and the ending blindsided me and blew me away. I was LITERALLY astonished, and it remains to this day as one of the best "ghost stories" I've ever read. I knew from the start this was going to launch a series, as it was subtitled THE MESSY MAN SERIES, Book 1. This struck me as interesting because ...more
John Lynch
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

The Nightmare room by Chris Sorensen was my earliest foray into reading independent horror. I absolutely loved it. Sorensen told a creepy tale that put its hooks in you and never let go until you reached the back cover. I’m excited to discover that The Hungry Ones avoids a sophomore slump and proves that The Messy Man Series is one to watch for.

First off, you should absolutely read The Nightmare Room before The Hungry ones. Without spoiling anything, there’s something similar (but
Bark
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE HUNGRY ONES picks up soon after the events that tortured the little family in THE NIGHTMARE ROOM and adds a new setting and several new characters. I read the Nightmare Room in July 2018 so it’s been awhile and my memories are a tad bit fuzzy. I was able to follow along but wish I had read them back to back so things would’ve been fresh in my head.

Jessie, recovering from a breakup with her fiancé – he with the roving penis, as well as a traumatic injury, decides to start anew and purchases

• If You See Her
  • The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • Remains
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Violet
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • Dark Ride
  • The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
  • Night Shoot
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • Of Foster Homes and Flies
  • Clowns Vs. Spiders
  • The Dark Game
Chris Sorensen spends many days and nights locked away inside his own nightmare room. He is the narrator of over 200 audiobooks (including the award-winning The Missing series by Margaret Peterson Haddix) and the recipient of three AudioFile Earphone Awards. Over the past fifteen years, the Butte Theater and Thin Air Theatre Company in Cripple Creek, Colorado have produced dozens of his plays ...more

The Messy Man (2 books)
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)