Start by marking “Wild Horse” as Want to Read:
Wild Horse

Wild Horse

Grady has found a crack in the wall—a crack to the outside world. But all he knows about life outside the compound comes from books, magazines, and a photograph of a creature that no longer exists.Things change when he meets a girl with raspberry-yellow hair, and a secret that could lead them to a world beyond the walls. A world where their abilities could change everythin ...more
Published July 30th 2019 by Meerkat Press

To ask other readers questions about Wild Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Horse

Start your review of Wild Horse
Jessica Belmont
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novelette is beautiful. Every line is poetic, filled with this brilliant imagery. I felt such raw emotions reading Wild Horses, and I was left wanting more.

Kyle Richardson’s writing is just breathtaking. It is so inspiring to me that an author can create such depth in such a short amount of words. The characters were brought to life immediately. I understood them, they felt real and flawed. The world building was incredible. I felt like I knew right where the characters were, like I could s
Tonja Drecker
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not a typical young adult dystopian read, but rather weaves words and worlds in a poetic way through short glimpses to build the blocks of an emotional story line.

Grady finds a crack in the wall, and when the guards aren't watching, dares to peek at the world outside. He's never seen it and only knows the compound with it's cots, locked rooms and control. When he meets a girl who has special abilities of her own, the become friends and manage to escape into the world beyond. Here, their
 CCAM&GZM
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little strange, but an interesting story.
In just a few pages, it’s stirring you up and makes you feel. The emotions you experience are the well-known ones, but they wear different splendid tattered closes.

Picturing the world under a crimson cape, the author takes from you any hope of good, of a future that deserves to be lived. He makes that in a very strong, but delicate, way. The result of the connection (or... better yet of the clash) between the internal and external conflicts gives the a
Crystal Zavala
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meerkat-press
Wild Horse is a dystopian young adult novelette about a boy named Grady who lives in prison-like compound with other children who have "powers". Grady makes friends with another child named Cassie. Cassie and Grady escape from their compound and spend years living off the earth.

I really enjoyed this dystopian short story. In a short period of time I was invested in Grady and his emotions. I wanted to fight for him and protect him.
Penthesilea1623
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I want a novel of this story so badly. Even as a novella (?), short story, the characters just shine. Set in a dystopian (implied) future, the characters are so beautifully written, that I want more of them, more of their background, more about the time they spend together, more about their future.

Details, I want details, and yet it wouldn't be the same story if I got all the details I wanted.

I'll be looking for more of Mr. Richardson's writing.
Michelle
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in a terrifying world of guards and prison cells, Wild Horse is a coming of age story for fans of dystopian novels. Richardson sets up the world slowly, one frightening fact at a time, creating a tense and dark atmosphere. I really liked how the author doesn’t explain how the world came to be or if what the children believed was true. The uncertainty of the outside world created this feeling of dread that made every decision Grady and Cassie chose very stressful for the reader. Wild Horse ha ...more
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I was completely caught off guard by the strangeness of this book but I certainly enjoyed reading every single word of this dystopian read.
Ina Trimble
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story, characters are so interesting, felt I was there with them. I need more of these people in my life. Can’t wait to for your next creation Kyle.
SOMDReigel
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A very short story that is set in a dystopian future. Wild Horse does not go into depth of the characters or storyline but if it did, that would make it a totally different read. Details though, would make it in my opinion a better read. I didn’t quite get the story and by the end I was a bit confused. Though in all honesty, this is not my go to genre. I do think teens/young adults who like the scifi/fantasy books would enjoy this.
Alison C
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Wild Horse," by Kyle Richardson, is billed as a novelette, but to me seems more a novella (shorter than the former), easily read in an hour or less. The story follows Grady, an inmate in a facility that drains blood from the incarcerated children on a regular basis, and Cassie, an anomaly in that setting - she still has hair when the others are all shaved-headed, she isn’t punctured for blood, she’s not like the rest. Grady has a secret: he can see through a crack in the institution’s walls to ...more
Donna
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short story, novelette.
I would love to read this as a full novel.
Christina
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-book-list
Very intrigued by this novelette. It is well-written and creative. I’d love to know more about the characters’ pasts and also their futures.
Marissa
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Kindle Copy Win

A short read about a boy who finds a crack in a wall. It leads him on a journey to a world he never existed only through books. He meets a girl who will help guide him on the journey. It has the potential to be more as it needs more words and a real story line.
Bee
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lyrically written

I won this book in a goodreads giveaway! I enjoyed the writing and the premise, and it flowed really well.
Carrie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't enjoy this novelette. It felt too short for the world building. Plus, I found it creepy and bit disturbing. I think if the story had been fleshed out that would have made a difference and some of the brutality might have made more sense. Honestly, it felt more like the outline to a story than an actual book.
Billie
Aug 15, 2019
Yonathan Asefaw
Sep 25, 2019

• Arms from the Sea
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Mrs. Pollifax Pursued (Mrs. Pollifax, #11)
  • While My Pretty One Knits (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #1)
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
  • The Boy Who Went Away
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Chicago by the Pint: A Craft Beer History of the Windy City
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 1 (Imadoki! Nowadays, #1)
  • Holding Wonder
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 2 (Imadoki!: Nowadays, #2)
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 3 (Imadoki!: Nowadays, #3)
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 4 (Imadoki!: Nowadays, #4)
  • Desiring the Dragon Lord
  • Mooncakes
  • Enough: Notes from a Woman Who Has Finally Found It
  • Beyond Fearless (Beyond, #2)
  • Vamps and the City (Love at Stake, #2)
Kyle lives in the suburban wilds of Canada with his adorable wife, their rambunctious son, and their adventurous daughter. He writes about shapeshifters, superheroes, and the occasional clockwork beast, moonlights as an editor at Meerkat Press, and has a terrible habit of saying the wrong thing at the most inopportune moments.

News & Interviews