Start by marking “Scharlette Doesn't Matter and Goes Time Travelling” as Want to Read:
Scharlette Doesn't Matter and Goes Time Travelling

Scharlette Doesn't Matter and Goes Time Travelling

Ever since Scharlette’s parents gave her a name no one can really pronounce, she’s been stuck in a bit of a rut. She hates her job in airport security, making people take their belts off before they fly to exotic locations she can only dream about. She owns a small apartment with large repayments, drinks bargain bin red while she watches Star Trek, and misses her little si ...more
Published (first published June 15th 2019)

Be the first to ask a question about Scharlette Doesn't Matter and Goes Time Travelling

Start your review of Scharlette Doesn't Matter and Goes Time Travelling
Damian Smith
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not since Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams has an author stepped so boldly into geek fiction and declared "you're all taking yourselves far too seriously and I shan't stand for it". With Scharlette Doesn't Matter Bowring does just that. This book is a lot of fun, which might sound like a weak description until you realise just how much we've been lacking that sense of carefree playfulness of late.
Scharlette Doesn't Matter is a solid sci-fi romp, and this is one of the few times when "romp" is e
Alistair
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've already read it. That's how good a time travel book it is.

I read a pre-release copy of this book and it is fantastic. I'm a big fan of science fiction and have read a lot and this book has some truly original and very funny ideas that are executed really well.

The way this book approaches time travel is really great, it's a key part of the book but it doesn't feel overdone. It works really well and leads to some truly funny Doglas Adams'ish moments.

The characters are really interesting, the
Cloak88
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a rare TimeTravel novel that both pokes fun at itself, while still giving a solid story. 5 stars

Scharlette loathes her life! Her dead-end job as airport security , her parents for saddling her with a unpronounceable name, and the fact that her life is going absolutely nowhere. But somehow being told by an attractive stranger: 'her life Doesn't Matter at all, not one Iota......'

Is Good News?
Because now she can be a Time Traveler.....?

Scharlette is one of those unique books that both pokes
Kristy Harvey
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humour
Great easy read. So refreshingly different from anything I've read in a while. I liked Scharlette's relatable character. Funny, feel good read. Definitely reminiscent of Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy. The time travel was explained really well, and was easy to follow. Thoroughly enjoyed. ...more
Iris Jensdottir
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A more than All Kay time travel tale that’s both witty and enthralling. Main characters were layered and relatable, my favorite being the enigmatic timeship Gordon. I can’t wait to read the next one to see how Gordon and Sally’s complex relationship develop.
angie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I really, really want to like Scharlette Doesn't Matter and Goes Time Travelling, but, in the end, I just can not. Despite the wildly original plotting and the fresh approach to time travel, I find the characters a bit annoying at times and the mood and events way too silly. Maybe, someday, when I'm in the right mood I'll revisit this potentially charming read. All I know, right now, is that this levity could take some serious seriousness. ...more
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I just couldnt get Into this book and that it has such a high rating is baffling to me.

The female main character was not very likeable overall and was pretty much what I would expect a male author trying (and failing) to write a female protagonist to be like.

Much is made about her unusual first name the compromise of her parents between Scarlet and Charlotte. Yes as a child you had no control over it but now you are an adult so change your name and dont just moan about it if its that much troubl
Infinity's  Bookshelf
This book seemed like a light read to pick up to get some laughs out of me , but, not only did it succeed at that, but it also delivered on it's promise of a witty mystery and twisty plot.

The book carefully explained the limits of time travel and stuck to that in a way that seems realistic and plausible throughout.

Characterization was also great, as the author left lots of room for individual characters to shine.
Altogether it was a very enjoyable read, one that was punctuated with bursts of la
Marianne
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quirky and fun, with some interesting thought points. Fans of Hitchhikers will enjoy this book. After reading it I find myself wishing I could do edits. So useful! Time travel stories already always tricky, but this one manages to avoid sticky plot holes with the use of a dimension ex machina and breaking the 4th wall once or twice to remind you to just enjoy and not over-think things.
Wade Duffin
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wickedly fun & funny read following some lovely little twists and turns with the heroine, Scharlotte. There are some really interesting concepts in the story which could have easily gone pear-shaped but in the hands of the author were pulled off masterfully. PLUS so great to read some sci-fi with a compelling female protagonist. Highly recommended!
Yvette Montano
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great character development and explanations of difficult concepts make this book easy to comprehend and easy to get lost in. Five meow meow beans.
Steph Griffoon
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book with some funny and clever stuff about the nature of time, space and love.
Margarida
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you've read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams, I can almost guarantee this book will be your cup of tea.

Sam Bowring's writing is wonderful and he manages to depict many extraordinary worlds with an easiness I seldom find.
Despite the many Star Wars / Star Treck references I didn't grasp, this book was incredibly easy to follow – I was expecting a more complex reading since this is about time travel and I was assuming it would have loads of descriptions, but I was comple
BookishBrains
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, humour
I have received this ARC from BookSirens in exchange for an honest review

4.5 STARS

Scharlette Doesn't Matter and Goes Time Travelling is an hilarious read, that reflects the fact that the author is a comedian.
I haven’t read the The Hitchhiker's Guide so I can’t compare the two books like everybody else is doing, but I can say that I love sci-fi books and I liked that this novel is not super serious but, at the same time, has a well-structured story and deep characters.

The author created a very in
Adam Richard
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The baroque title doesn’t quite give you a sense of what this book will be, but it does hint to the sense of humour you’ll be greeted with. While some reviewers have compared this to Douglas Adams and his Hitchhikers books, Scharlette to me feels far more Australian than the dour British Arthur Dent. Also, apart from one glaring, yet hilarious chapter, the humour is in service to the story here, not the other way around, as often was the case with Adams.

Comparisons aside, taking this book on it
Anna
*I received an advance review copy for free from BookSirens in exchange for an honest review.

This a fun little sci-fi romp that felt familiar but just different enough to enjoy it. For the first 25% or so, I was so into this book. Scharlette's love of sci-fi and thus being able to sort-of-follow what was happening was a refreshing take on a time traveller and his companion. Additionally, it's pretty funny! The humour lands well a lot of the time, with maybe some being a dud. However, there reach
Julie Page
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Arthur Dent morphed into River Song, it would probably have happened just like this, with a lot of second chances and a good cup of tea.
I received a free advance copy of the book and I must say I'm glad.
Allison Springer
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
received this book as an ARC and am leaving an honest review.

I loved this book. I usually shy away from time travel as a theme in books. I just find it so contrived. Sam Bowring has written a book which features time travel and it works. He really has a unique take on it. He has developed his own vocabulary to accompany the concept and even attempts to explain it using his own take as well as some elements of 'classical' time travel tropes. I almost understood it! (lol) He's really thought it th
Britt Thiel
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
!!Ridiculously delightful & delightfully ridiculous!!

So when I first heard “a time travelling comedy” I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect BUT once I had started reading I was glad I didn’t refuse. It was a delightful book that kept me smiling the whole time and wanting to read more!

From my perspective the humour was based in pointing out the ridiculousness of the world and did this through engaging dialogue between various characters which was utterly charming. The key to making this work was
My Bookmark is My BFF
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Scharlette Doesn’t Matter and Goes Time Traveling.... This, this is why I love reading. This book is EVERYTHING. Before I get ahead of myself, let me give you the lowdown on what this book is about.

Scharlette is dull. Her life, it’s dull. Her job, yeah that’s dull too. Sometimes she questions what she is doing with her life, but then she just downs another bottle of red and forgets what she was questioning to begin with. One day at work, things aren’t so dull, and something fantastical happens,
Liesbeth
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received an advance review copy for free in exchange for an honest review.

Even though it is a long title and not a very exciting one, the story however proofs otherwise. I love the book from the beginning to the end. By the end of the story I wished I could go on an adventure like Scharlette.

I found it amusing, hilarious and at the same time, lots of action and having thriller maneuvers. Even thought the explanation of what time travel is got me thinking to much, but in a good way. Unless you
Sonia
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am an absolute sucker for a long and amusing book title, so this was one destined to draw me in!

I am so happy that it lived up to my high expectations of it. The amusingly named Scharlette is intelligent, real, relateable and very witty. And the even more amusing Tomothy is a perfect companion for her.

Humorous sci-fi/fantasy seems to be my genre of choice at the moment - escapism from a world gone mad coupled with a need to laugh - and this had me literally laughing out loud at various points.
Cher Gates-Meany
I absolutely loved this book. I have a huge collection of sci-fi books and this one gets added to my shelf. This book has been very clearly and well explained so the reader doesn't get lost in the quagmire that is time-travel.. it's quirky, has some fun and 'somewhat dry in places' humour. I love the character of Scharlette, she has a witty personality even when she feels a bit low and negative in places. You really get drawn into the story and forget that you're just reading the book. The scene ...more
Jane Turner
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this!

Scharlette's a bit of an everywoman - she's fully relatable. Cheap wine, job she hates, expensive rent payments, and having absolutely no impact on the world whatsoever. She's a little untidy, a little overweight, doesn't take care of herself, lacks motivation and... could really, at times, be me. (Except for the difficult-to-pronounce name, of course.)

The premise is excellent - that there are time-travelling agents in the future, protecting future events by protecting the pa
Ann
This self-published science fiction novel caught me by surprise. Not only does the plot progress at a solid pace as likable characters travel through time, but the humor lands -- way, way more often than not. The story begins with the oddly-named title character receiving an oddly-mysterious book that seems to know exactly what Scharlette is going to do before she does it. Attached to the mystery book is a handwritten message from the unknown sender, a Theodorus. Are we talking the Greek philoso ...more
Vanessa
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I was given a free copy of this book from BookSirens in exchange for a fair and honest review. My rating is actually 3.5 stars out of 5.

I haven't read A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or really watched Doctor Who, but I could tell this book was a mash-up of the two (and also made me want to read Hitchhiker's and start watching at least the new series of Doctor Who finally). So if you're a fan of either, I think you'll like this book!

If you have a quirky sense of humor and enjoy the right amoun
Clay
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a mild SF romp, but not much time travelling goes on. Yes, Scharlette and Tom go through many, many micro-jumps in time to avoid death during a prolonged space battle. And that's about it until 2/3 of the way when they peek in on the rise of an alien planet's growing civilization by jumping 10000 years ahead a couple of times. One more big jump to solve the mystery introduced (and nearly forgotten by me along the way) early on in the book.

A mostly forgettable blend of pop references being
Nathan Luff
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had such a wonderful time reading this book. It was very funny and with some great memorable characters (of whom I would name had I not forgotten their names). There will obviously be comparisons to Douglas Adams and I don't think that's a bad thing – they are definitely in the same vein and I think if you enjoy Adam's work, you will enjoy this also.

One thing I particularly liked was the plotting. Often with this style of book the absurdism makes it difficult to care about the characters or wh
Juraj Kosnar
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, fun, funny, entertaining and some very nice descriptive imagery. The science fiction concepts were handled well, explained to a point whereby they were believable and easy to follow but not over explained to a point where I would want to challenge them and prove them wrong.

Sometimes the scenery being conjured up was very engaging, and the characters and their interactions and dialogue were often funny and charming. The writing style was clean and at some points the reader is direct
Scott Edgar
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I mean, other than the title being a giant spoiler, I think this is a ripper of an offering. This book lays one balletic act of infernal plot macrame upon another until you, like Scharlette, find yourself taking for granted the nanobots that have infused your mind and forever messed up your sense of how reality is supposed to operate.

Sam’s MO is relentlessly wry, and he has a keen and assured sense of comic timing. I found myself hungry to find out what happened next. Or before that. Or during i
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Quantum Curators and the Fabergé Egg
  • The Ordeal of the Haunted Room (Chronicles of St. Mary's, #11.5)
  • The Quantum Curators and the Enemy Within
  • Threads in Time
  • Joy To The World (Frogmorton Farm, #2.5)
  • Take a Look at the Five and Ten
  • A Page in Your Diary
  • Turing Test (AI Diaries #1)
  • Time Tourist Outfitters, Ltd.
  • Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)
  • The Many Short Lives of Charles Waters (Middle Falls Time Travel #12)
  • A Door Into Time: An Alex Hawk Time Travel Adventure
  • Joseph Bridgeman and the Silver Hunter (The Downstream Diaries #2)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • Managed Care
  • A Hole in Time (Time Loop Book 2)
  • Agent of Time (In Times Like These #1.5)
  • Why Is Nothing Ever Simple? (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10.6)
I write fantasy books, children's books, and some TV stuff from time to time. I've also been a stand-up comic for about twenty years.

sambowring.com