Start by marking “Ghosts of Berlin: Stories” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of Berlin: Stories

Ghosts of Berlin: Stories

Hipster life collides with Berlin's dark past in these seven supernatural tales of contemporary Berlin, by the son of the great filmmaker who "shares his father's curious and mordant wit" (The Financial Times).

In GHOSTS OF BERLIN, Rudolph Herzog's macabre and madcap vision of Berlin, bleeding walls are terrifying, as are overpriced artisanal burgers. Set in hipster Kruez
Published October 8th 2019 by Melville House

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of Berlin

Start your review of Ghosts of Berlin: Stories
Mary Warnement
Last weekend, Sunday, Sept. 22, I walked through the Brooklyn BookFest and promised myself I wouldn't buy any books. Or take totes or other swag that I had no room for in my bag. I got one tote, and I bought one book. Not bad, given that many of my favorite publishers had booths. I met someone I know at the Harvard Review and someone from the NYSL recognized my BA bag. A couple others recognized the bag. At the Melville House booth, I couldn't resist looking at something with Berlin in the title ...more
Elizabeth Petrenko
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can’t remember the last time I read ghost stories, but this book caught my eye at the Brooklyn Book Festival. I lived in Berlin for a few years and I was truly transported to the city’s winter gloom, which is unnerving even without ghosts. The book’s mix of hipsters and longtime residents rang true. I’d recommend it to anyone with some knowledge about Berlin and it’s complicated history, who wants a quick, spooky read.
Denise
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
A collection of seven strange and unsettling tales in which inhabitants of contemporary Berlin encounter the ghostly remnants from the past. I picked this up quite by chance - kinda wish I had happened to pick it up in the original German rather than the English translation as I prefer to read in the original when possible, but the stories drew me in nevertheless.
Paddy Screech
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So gently understated, disturbing - a timely collection of stories reminding contemporary Berliners - and all of us by implication - that we forget our history, and fascism and totalitarianism in particular, at our peril. The stories are steeped in the sensibility of classic 70s horror cinema, perhaps in part thanks to the author's famous father, Werner. Totally recommend.
Susan
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might not be a great book, but it came at the perfect time for me: a few weeks after I'd visited (and fell in love with) Berlin, and right around Halloween. The writing (or perhaps the translation) is a little clunky and pedestrian, but I enjoyed the way the stories showed how the city's dark past haunts its present.
Sonta
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts of Berlin by Rudolph Herzog
Publish Date: October 2019 by Melville House

This collection of short stories is mesmerizing in its forceful collision of modern-day Berlin and the darker days of Nazi Germany. Herzog brings these two times together masterfully, weaving modern characters with specters, trolls and demons. The crimes committed still haunt the streets and buildings, and airports of the modern city. Each story has a unique focus, be it the starvation in the ghettos,
Donna
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories insert past horrors into the mundane lives of Berliners. The events casually almost seamlessly become known then accepted by the characters. The translation seems occasionally awkward to this reader who does not know German, but the stories linger like the unsettled past.
Courtney
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I loved these stories. The historical mixed with horror elements brought a different light to the damage of Berlin’s growing gentrification and the threat of forgetting and recreating history.

Humble brag: It was also fun to be able to visualize these places I have seen in real life.
Cindy Cox Sherman
Oct 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned-books
I read the first 3 stories and either I am just totally missing something or these are terrible. If someone read this book and can explain what I am missing, I would love to hear from you!
Burke Burke

• Midnight at the Blackbird Café
  • Toil & Trouble
  • After Dark
  • Dancing Bears: True Stories of People Nostalgic for Life Under Tyranny
  • Der Trümmermörder (Frank Stave, #1)
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • What If All the Kids Are White?: Anti-Bias Multicultural Education with Young Children and Families
  • Crow Country