Start by marking “The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired” as Want to Read:

Parenting isn’t easy. Showing up is. Your greatest impact begins right where you are. Now the bestselling authors of The Whole-Brain Child and No-Drama Discipline explain what this means over the course of childhood.

“There is parenting magic in this book.”—Michael Thompson, Ph.D., co-author of the New York Times bestselling classic Raising Cain

One of the very best
Published January 7th 2020 by Ballantine Books

Start your review of The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired
Whitney
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Thank you to Random House for the free ARC. I am not a huge fan of parenting books, but this one is exactly what I needed to read, and wish I'd read 5 years ago when I became a part. The authors' writing style is so accessible and easy to digest, while still packing in so much great information. They focus on how to show up for our kids physically and emotionally, and how giving them the Four S's helped our kids learn healthy relational attachment with us and sets them up for success in life.

Genevieve Trono
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I saw that authors Siegel and Bryson were releasing a new parenting book, I couldn't request The Power of Showing Up fast enough! Their past writing has been such a formative part of my own parenting.

Siegel and Bryson always share their knowledge, research, and experiences in an accessible and compassionate way. While they have decades of work in this area they make brain development and psychology approachable and easy to understand have the ability to write in a way that makes you feel
Nursebookie
We all want to become better parents for our children and yet our children did not come with a HOW TO or a book of instructions. Fear not, because this book lays it out in a very clear, no fluff, and easy to read book outlining in an easy to remember guide full of examples and scenarios.
It is no surprise the success of our children is dependent on how present we are for them and will actually serve as a predictor for their success in life as far as their personal and academic success, the
Kat Ayres
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. SO many parts of this book resonated with me and brought me to tears. I long suspected that I had an insecure ambivalent attachment style, due to the way I was raised and how my mother was with me. This book confirmed it and has renewed my intention to give my son a better life than what I had. Everyone should read this book, even if you dont have excessive amounts of childhood trauma.
Bruin Mccon
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“When we know our kids in a direct and truthful way, they learn to know themselves that way, too.”

The Power of Showing Up is the fourth in the quartet of parenting books by Daniel Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson.

First things first. I was excited to get my hands on an advance review copy of this book because I have two other books written by this duo and they are top-notch. I’ve read a lot of parenting books but these are the ones that have stayed with me through my entire parenting journey thus
Genevieve Trono

Jessica
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher for the free review copy.

I absolutely loved the whole-brain child and was excited to read this book by the same authors.

My top two takeaways from this book were 1) you don’t have to be a perfect parent. Just showing up and supporting your kid is what matters most. And 2) insights into how you were raised impacting how you parent. This is obvious but they actually explain it based on how the brain works which was fascinating.

The thing I love about these authors is that
Beth Kakuma-Depew
This book does a good job spelling out attachment patterns. And then shows how they plays out into adulthood and can shape how adults raise their children. The message is hopeful, that no matter what attachment pattern you were raised with, you can give your children a more secure childhood.

There's a bunch of cutsy drawings and some corny phrases, like "Mindsight". In my opinion those make it hard to take the books basic message seriously.

I did enjoy that this book was aimed at parents of older
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A child's happiness, academic success, leadership skills, and meaningful relationships are determined primarily by their connection to at least one caring adult. "The Power Of Showing Up" helps adults discover how to be that one adult who is present with and for their children.
In the book, authors Daniel Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson discuss four S's that are essential for every child. Children must feel safe, seen, soothed, and secure. The chapters share stories, scripts, simple strategies,
Becki
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, parenting
I'm so glad I read this book. It was illuminating to me both as a daughter and as a mother. My children are young adults now (18 and 19), and I found myself wishing I had known this information when they were young. The concepts are still pertinent, though, and I will be looking for opportunities to continue to "show up" for my kids, even at this stage.

As a teacher, though, I found my mind continually drifting to classroom applications. After reading this, I felt like I better understood my
Keith Orach
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The power of showing up. . Thank you to @life_well_read for suggesting this self help book and to netgalley for the advanced read. Who is hardest on a person as a parent? The parent themselves. I know I am. We all feel we never do the right thing, never try hard enough, and just are not perfect. This book tells you that you don’t need to be perfect, just be there for your child. Teach them the value of support and comfort, that even with mistakes a parents’s love will never waiver and always be ...more
Joy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very helpful and in a way eye opening. This book does not try to tell you how to be a perfect parent or parental figure, because there is obviously no such thing. Instead the book provides insights on we are shaped by the adult presences in our lives.
The book helped me think about how I interact, work with and work around children (which I do a lot in my volunteer work). Also, it helped me break down and understand my own childhood from a different perspective, I
Kat Ayres
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eli Johnson
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, learning
The philosophy and science behind the four S’s - safe, seen, soothe, secure attachment - was presented in a way that was challenging without being demeaning, and hopeful without being naive. As a parent and an educator, I’ve gained some valuable insights in how to approach children I care for in ways that seek to develop a secure attachment (and I honestly learned how that’s not coddling)
Dau Nyok
Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
First of all i would like to appreciated Daniel for his wisdom,knowledgeable,and understandable to managing to wrote this book.The power of showing up. It is very important for the parents to show theirs responsibilities to the children.
Roz Martin
Becki
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Stacy
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this as an ARC from netgalley. This book looked interesting on a personal level and a career level.
It talks about the most important thing you can do for kids- showing up. There is some great info on what happens if no one showed up for you when you were younger and how to work through that so your future generations won’t have that same turmoil and insecure feelings.
This was good because they spelled out the more scientific areas, gave you a layman’s view but also directed you to where
Mary Nee
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book! A must read!
Susan
« previous 1 3 next »

• American Dirt
  • The Beekeeper of Aleppo
  • High Achiever: The Incredible True Story of One Addict's Double Life
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Silence of Morning: A Memoir of Time Undone
  • How to Stop Time
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
  • Stay
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Everything Isn't Terrible: Conquer Your Insecurities, Interrupt Your Anxiety, and Finally Calm Down
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Saving Meghan
Daniel J. Siegel, M.D., is an internationally acclaimed author, award-winning educator, and child psychiatrist. Dr. Siegel received his medical degree from Harvard University and completed his postgraduate medical education at UCLA with training in pediatrics and child, adolescent and adult psychiatry. He is currently a clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine, where he also ...more
“Predictable care that supports a healthy and empowering relationship embodies what we call the “Four S’s”—helping kids feel (1) safe—they feel protected and sheltered from harm; (2) seen—they know you care about them and pay attention to them; (3) soothed—they know you’ll be there for them when they’re hurting; and (4) secure—based on the other S’s, they trust you to predictably help them feel “at home” in the world, then learn to help themselves feel safe, seen, and soothed. When we can offer kids the Four S’s, making repairs whenever the inevitable ruptures in these connections with our children may occur, we help create what’s called “secure attachment,” and it’s absolutely key to optimal healthy development.” 0 likes