Start by marking “Don't Cry Wolf” as Want to Read:
Don't Cry Wolf

Don't Cry Wolf

An officer never knows what he might face when he first arrives at an accident. When Deputy Sergeant Matthew Prescott gets the call directing him to a serious crash on U.S. 191, he drives as fast as he dares. As he approaches the twisted, mangled remains of the vehicle, he doubts there could be any survivors in that wreckage. Somebody's life would be ruined tonight.

He just
Published January 1st 2008 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Don't Cry Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Cry Wolf

Darlene Pierce
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of his best.

I enjoyed the book, even though I thought that it moved to slow at times, and was a little far fetched. I guess that I would probably recommend it to some of my friends.
Paul Heaton
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riviting

It's been a long time since I finished a book on only two days. This is a great read, highly reccomend.
Trustin
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars
clean
no swearing
fairly obvious who the bad guy is
still fairly suspenseful
Casey
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Yes, another mystery! Started off kinda slow, but towards the middle of the book it got more suspenseful. I will say this though, this book if full of mysteries and I didn't solve a single one on my own. Now, that's could just be because I'm really slow and have trouble thinking outside the box, but I thought Poulson did a pretty good job at concealing the murderers identity. After finishing the book though I could see how certain clues pointed to certain people. I could probably read it again a ...more
Landon
Apr 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Almost a one star... I was refered to it by my brother. It's a mystery involing wolves being taken out of Yellowstone and released on rancher's property. The ranchers shoot the wolves and the raticals who released the wolves shoot the ranchers. At the same time a daugter fights with her older brother for ownership of their family Ranch after their father's murder. I thought it was really predictable, and that the love story that he tried to put in ended up really cheesy, one of those too much to ...more
Kathryn
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great book from a great author. I love the way the author writes in enough balance between suspense/ mystery with a hint of romance. officer prescott got the blow of his life when he comes to investigate an accident and finds his wife and daughter dead and his young son missing. He finds his son, mute with fear and it takes the help of a therapist to help him to speak again. This tragedy happens, then wolves start appearing on ranchers land that have been placed there on purpose. Lindsey, a ranc ...more
Darla
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
(Genre:LDS Fiction/suspense/mystery) 2 1/2 to 3 stars. The main idea behind the story (environmentalist illegally transplanting wolves from Yellowstone into areas used by ranchers) was interesting, but I never really got into the story too deeply because the dialogue between the characters never engaged me. The personalities of the characters seemed a little 2 dimensional, but it was a fair read and if you really like Clair Poulson, then you shouldn't be disappointed. I have read a couple of his ...more
Rachael Dorronsoro
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Matthew Prescott is called to the scene of an accident, when he sees that it is his own family who have had the accident, he is a broken man. He changes his life and becomes a Detective and when there is a murder on a neighboring ranch it is his job to find out who killed his friend and Rancher. Lindsay Flemming is the daughter of the dead rancher and when things start going bad for her Matthew Prescott is there to help. This story is a fast paced, intriguing read with a great plot and a good my ...more
Barbara
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-first-in-08, lds
I love Clair Poulson books, and have read every one of them. I'm not sure why, but this one disappointed me. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood to read it, or maybe they're just losing their thrill for me. I don't know. This book was totally predictable. Nothing happened that I hadn't seen chapters and chapters away. It was totally cliche, using the same idea that's been worn to rags by authors, the widower with kids who finds his love,etc. eek!! The book overall was okay, but I'm wishing I hadn't ...more
Dlora
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
I've quite liked Clair Poulson's books before, but this one wasn't so good, or maybe I'm just moving away from these more light-weight LDS novels. The story revolves around the battle between the ranchers' and the environmentalists' concerns about introducing wolves into Yellowstone Park, especially when the wolves begin to wander onto ranch lands and kill livestock. Some good suspense and action scenes but the main characters weren't quite realistic enough, the writing was only so-so, and the p ...more
Julie
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. It was a really good mystery, even if it was a little bit predictable and had a loose end or two that weren't tied up to my satisfaction. But overall it keep me reading into the wee hours of the morning to see what would happen next and was hard to put down when I finally decided I had to get some sleep despite wanting to find out what was going to happen next. In other words...it pulled me in, kept me riveted, and left me basically satisfied with having spent the ti ...more
Janet Wilcox
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked it well enough to finish it, though had to finally decide, I've got to listen while I sew or clean, as I've had no time this summer to read. It's nice to have a good story without running into offensive language and situations in the book. The only complaint was that the villian was so bad, he had no redeeming qualities. I always hope for at least some glimmer of humanity in people. The setting was in the area I grew up in, and visited a lot: Montana, Idaho, Wyo and plot focused onthe wo ...more
Dianna
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I used to Love Clair Poulson's books, but I think his Samuel series are some of his best- great stories, but they come across kind of...stilted? I don't know, I really enjoy them, but I just can't help but laugh at times at the dialogue and thought processes the characters have...kinda cheesy. Good book, not my favorite of his, I don't know if he's trying to push them out faster now or what, but I like his older books better.
Mandy
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
This starts out with a terrible title. How about "Crying Wolf", or "To Cry Wolf"? And then you get to throw in the usual LDS writer assumes the readser is stupid writing. I mean, really, we have to be told everything? Add to that, the super fast way people simply fall in love for eternity, and you have the plan for a great LDS fiction novel. But I am the one who checks them out, so it is plainly my fault.
Toni
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It's a good, quick read by an LDS author.
A group of people who claim to be wolf activists are trapping wolves in Yellowstone Park and bringing them to ranches in Montana. The wolves begin attacking the cattle and the ranchers are forced to kill the wolves. Why would the "activists" trap the wolves, bring them to the Montana ranches and train them to hunt and kill the cattle? You'll have to read to find out!
Shannon
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
Clair Poulson is usually one of the people I like the most for LDS fiction, but this was below his other books. I thought Dwight was a caricature and never really find him a believable character, nor did I ever understand his motives. The way some of the action took place seemed dropped into the story too, especially how it jumps from Matt's tragedy to the main plot of the story. It was all right, but I'd go back and read some of his others before this.
Sara
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was really gripped by this book! maybe it is my deep rooted love for the valley we live in and have traveled to. My family ranched in Montana while I was growing up, and this struck a cord with me there. I really related to what was going on with the ranchers and was gripped by the added suspense. It went quickly for me once I got into it. I could not put it down!
Ashley
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone up for a simple, good read
Recommended to Ashley by: Dad- but I gave it to him for Christmas
I really loved this book. Usually, when I listen to audio books I just listen to them on my way to and from work but I couldn't stop with this one! I carried a cd player around with me and listened to it non-stop for 2 days whenever I could. Simple plot but so good. Maybe just having the story placed near Yellowstone made it more likable to me, I don't know, but it was fantastic!
Shannon
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
An Adventure, romance, and detective story all rolled into one. The wolf from Yellowstore park are moving out of the park and moving into ranch land. When a rancher is murdered Detective Sergeant Matthew Prescott is put on the case. A case that will be filled with unmatchable suspense and unlikely romance.
Kathy
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
This is the first book by Clair Poulson I have read. Well actually I listened to it. I found it to be very entertaining. It was predictable. Not very far into it I guessed how it would end and yet I totally enjoyed it. Usually I clean house or exercise while I'm listening to books but last night I realized I'd been sitting just listening for a half hour and had done nothing but enjoy it.
Tiffany
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the story of people who believe that wolves should be introduced into surrounding areas and not just kept in Yellowstone vs. those who believe they shouldn't. There's a little suspense, a little romance (of course.) I enjoyed it.
Rorie
Dec 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoy Clair Poulson's books. They are easy reads, with some suspense, who-done-it, clean romance, etc thrown in. The dialog between characters didn't flow very smoothly for me in this one, but the story was good.
Ronda
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This was the first time I have read a book written by Clair Poulson.
I enjoyed it. I found it predictable, but enjoyed reading the story none the less. You may find me reading another Clair Poulson book in the future.
Susan
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Mystery. Wolves drifting from Yellowstone Park to neighboring ranches pits ranchers trying to protect their herds and living against environmentalists trying to protect the wolves. However, someone is manipulating the situation for their own benefit.
Annemarie
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Not my favorite of his books. It started out kinda slow and was pretty predictable what was going to happen in the end, which is not usually how his books are. Still it was a good mystery and had enough action and suspense in it to keep my attention.
Tracy
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not great, not bad. It felt like a first draft. Sometimes what you have to do is write the whole thing once, throw it away, and then write the whole thing over again. I liked the concept and the story, but the dialogue and character development was rough around the edges.
Patricia
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
My husband and I listened to this book on the return trip. I thought it a good book. My daughter even finished listening to the book with us. We guessed the suspect early on but maybe we were supposed to?
Swhe641200
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Good Sams Book. This a story about naturalist moving wolves from Yellowstone to Montana. They kill a farmer trying to save his cattle. Very good romance story and also the importance of making good choices.
Caryn
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Caryn by: Clair Poulson
This is another mystery from my Uncle Clair. His novels are LDS based without being preachy so that anyone would appreciate them. I normally can predict most plot lines in books I read, but this one had me guessing until the end.
Shavonne
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read one of Poulson's books in years. The ending was a little predictable, but there were some unexpected things along the way. It kept you anticipating what would happen next. Just what I expected from Poulson.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Above Suspicion (Haggerty Mystery, #3)
  • Abandoned
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Do No Harm
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • This Just in
Clair M. Poulson was born and raised in Duchesne, Utah. His father was a rancher and farmer, his mother a librarian. Clair has always been an avid reader, having found his love for books as a very young boy.

He has served for forty years in the criminal justice system. Twenty years were spent in law enforcement, ending his police career with eight years as the Duchesne County Sheriff. For the past