Start by marking “Seeing Red (A Red Herring Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Seeing Red (A Red Herring Mystery #2)

Seeing Red

(A Red Herring Mystery #2)

If it wasn't for art thieves, spies, and killers, Alex Vlodnachek's life would be bliss.

Her freelance career is catching fire. Her relationship with B&B owner Ian Sterling is flirty and fun. Just like the glittering cocktail parties he throws at his sprawling Victorian inn.

But the ex-reporter discovers that something's off at the Cotswolds House -- and it's not the
Mass Market Paperback, 435 pages
Published May 28th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing Red

Start your review of Seeing Red (A Red Herring Mystery #2)
Barbara

In this 2nd book in the 'Red Herring Mystery Series', red-haired journalist Alex Vlodnachek - whose brother is a baker - has a lot on her plate.....and it's not just pastries. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Alex Vlodnachek is a free lance journalist who lives in Fordham, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. Other members of Alex's household are her brother Nick - who's recovering from heartache and starting a bakery business and Lucy - a sweet puppy who was rescued from the
Carrie
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Seeing Red by Dana Dratch is the second book in the cozy A Red Herring Mystery series. Each book of the series has it’s own self contained mystery to be solved so they can be read as a standalone. However, the best way to get to know the characters is reading from the beginning as there is some character building carrying over from book to book.

In this series Alex Vlodnachek had spent years as a reporter but left that industry to work in a PR firm and now has a blooming freelance career. With
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

OMG, hold on to your funny bones! Dana Dratch has penned another fantastic mystery filled with humor that you will be unable to put down.

First, Ian’s father goes missing in the middle of a party. Then, unusual discovery is made in Alex’s kitchen, followed by an unusual discovery in the inn’s basement freezer, which quickly goes missing. Then while Alex is trying to find a clue about where the innkeeper’s father may have gone she makes yet another unusual discovery and it doesn
Tari
Oh my goodness, I think this one was even better than the first one. There were several mysteries going on all at once, some disappearing bodies and a possible art theft. Not to mention that a baby had mysteriously appeared in Alex's house. Her brother took to the baby immediately which had her wondering if it was his. Then a guy she was working with at the newspaper claimed that his niece was out to kill him and like before, Alex ended up with a houseful of guests, including the one-of-a-kind ...more
Toni
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This is the second book in the A Red Herring Mystery series. Her first book out last year, “Confessions of a Red Herring,” was one of my favorite books of 2018. This book wasn’t quite as thrilling as that one was, but still pretty good.

Alex Vlodnachek is a freelance journalist. Currently, she is working for the competition of her old newspaper writing the Ask Maggie column. But in this book, that isn’t the only thing on her plate. Her brother, Nick is trying to start a new baking business out of
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Great Escapes Book Tours. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Why are there dead bodies in the freezer?
Seeing Red by Dana Dratch is fast-paced, multiple mysteries, with quirky characters, lots of food and a lovable dog named Lucy. There didn’t seem to be an end to the mysteries, as soon as Alex figured one out there was another one.
Alex Vlodnachek
Alex is a feisty, red-headed, freelance reporter, and
Jerri Cachero
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want this book to end! It was a test of wills - to find out "whodunit" and finish the book quickly or put it away for a day and read it leisurely. Well, I couldn't put it down and finished it in a day!

I loved the characters - Alex, Nick, Baba, Trip, Ian and all of the charming and eccentric folks that resided (most temporarily) with Alex. They brought humor, fun and led to a "domino style" solving of the mysteries Alex, a freelance journalist was trying to solve. Alex is a strong
marita lazarus
First thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for my ARC.

I loved this book. It's a cozy mystery - and the second in a series (I haven't read the first one yet, but plan to as I now have a new favorite author for light fun reading).

So, what do you get when you cross a free lance journalist with a penchant for finding dead bodies, a sexy British inn keeper and a mystery baby - a whole lot of fun and a wonderful whodunnit. Alex is a freelance journalist who happens to live across from a her
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
If you are looking for humor in your cozy then this is the book to check out. Alex Vlodnachek is back solving crimes and writing freelance articles while managing her brother, mother, grandmother, a mystery baby, and Ian - the hunky B&B owner across the street. It is safe to say that Alex has her hands full in this book in multiple ways. Plus she keeps finding dead bodies in Ian's freezer. Pretty sure that isn't where they are supposed to be found.

This book kept me on my toes with the
Patty
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seeing Red by Dana Dratch is the 2nd book in A Red Herring Mystery series, and another fun addition. Alex Vlodnachek agrees to attend her neighbor's, Ian Sterling, party at his Victorian bed and breakfast. The next day, Ian's father goes missing, and he asks Alex to help. On top of that someone leaves a baby on Alex's kitchen table, in the house she shares with her brother. This book is a perfect blend of mystery and humor. Not only is this book really funny, I often found myself laughing out ...more
Lisa Malmquist
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun quirky cozy mystery with a touch of the screwball comedy style of the older movies.
The new Innkeeper next door seems to have all kinds of people around that just don't seem to belong.
Spies, killers, art thieves, forgers just what is going on?
Alex Vlodnachek, intrepid reporter is determined to find out.
Starting with the fancy cocktail party that Ian, the dashing innkeeper next door is holding for the guests and community.
Then Ian's father disappears, bodies start showing up.
There are
Mave
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a really pleasant and funny reading, full of humor.
Alex is a freelance journalist, her brother Nick is trying to open a bakery. She participates in the cocktail party of B & B which is located in front of her house, is now managed by the English Ian and his father. There are strange rumors about this inn, which increase as Alex finds two bodies in Ian's freezer. Also his father has mysteriously disappeared and Alex finds a child in her kitchen. While she , investigates, her home is
Sofia Blackthorn Of The Wild Hunt
ARC provided by Net Galley.
Thank you for giving me the chance to read this book!

This book was a total surprise for me! It never failed to entertain me while it’s plot kept me constantly engaged.
The characters were funny and refreshing and completely complimented the story.
I definitely suggest you pick up this series if you’re looking for something light and engaging! Again,thank you net galley!
Mary
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Red is the 2nd installment in the Red Herring Mystery series. I really enjoyed the first book in the series but it was very hectic and so much going on. This book continues several months after the ending of the first book and Alex Vlodnachek is doing freelance journalist work and her brother Nick is still living with her and working on starting his bakery business. Alex attends a cocktail party across the street at her handsome neighbor Ian Sterling's B&B. While there she meets some ...more
Alex Vlodnachek is an investigative reporter. At present she is freelancing but fortunately has friends and resources with two major newspapers.
The only "flaw" I found in this story was a bit dated reference to putting one's subscription on hold when going on vacation. It is necessary to the story, but do people still do this?

Alex has a thing for the devilishly handsome Englishman across the road who happens to run a B&B type Inn. At the moment, Alex's own house is feeling more and more
Vicki
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Red Herring Mystery series. I recommend reading the first book first, not only for continuity but also so you can laugh yourself silly.

I often wonder at how, with so many books written, an author can find an unusual take on cozy mysteries and to do so with a crazy sense of humor. I still don’t understand it but Dana Dratch has the method down pat.

In this book our sleuth, Alex Vlodnachek (aka Red because of her red hair), has started to settle down into a routine.
Susan
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Somehow I missed reading the first in this entertaining series. As soon as I finished this one I couldn't wait to get my hands on the first one. I don't think reading them out of order lessened my reading pleasure. There is a lot going on in this outing for Alex, freelance journalist. She has a short term gig as an advice columnist while still writing various exposes. She is also very interested in her hunky Brit neighbor who runs a B&B. Boy, does he have secrets. While at a party at the ...more
Catherine
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
In Seeing Red, the second book in the Red Herring mystery series, Alex has her hands full dealing with the strange events occurring at The Cotswolds Inn, the bed and breakfast run by her neighbor, Ian Sterling. Acts of sabotage threaten the viability of the inn, mysterious visitors appear and disappear, and as if that isn’t concerning enough, a corpse or two are found, and Ian’s father Harkins, the inn’s co-owner, goes missing. Alex is determined to get to the bottom of it all, and also identify ...more
Traci
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Waited almost a year for this sequel, and found I slipped right back into Alex's crazy life. Not as much Baba, but she's here, which is awesome. Nick is still living with Alex, trying to get his life back in order after the events of the first book. Ian's B&B across the street is up and running, and he's as charming as ever. Mysteries abound. Lucy is still an adorable puppy.

And then we meet Marty. I love Marty! I do hope he's in the next book, too. What a character!

Everything was cute,
Kathleen Gray
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wowsa there's a lot going on here! Alex is a free lance reporter who also solves mysteries. That in and of itself is not unusual for a cozy but here our heroine also has a large and entertaining family and a neighbor- Ian- with an unknown past. Ian owns the inn where Alex finds the bodies - and his own father is missing. A baby is left in Alex's house and her grandmother (love Baba!), not Child protective services, is there to help. There's good humor in this and just when I thought it was going ...more
Karen
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book almost as much as I had the first in the series. Dana Dratch writes well, the characters are well-drawn and all quite different, the plot was a little over-done in places - I never quite worked out how/why Alex's brother Nick's ex-girlfriend had become involved. However, it remains a fun read, and again has no overly-contrived, last-minute stand-off and escape-from-murderer-who-has-confessed-all ending.
Barbara Tobey
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great entertainment. A murder mystery filled with a variety of characters, including a baby and a dog. The story moves along quickly and with lots of humor. A delightful way to spend a few hours. Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy via NetGalley. I look forward to reading the next Red Herring Mystery. Eager for more laughs.
Dannette  Zelker
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING!!

She never disappoints! The story keeps moving and you can’t put it down! Took this on vacation and thoroughly enjoyed every moment! Alex is a great character to follow and so funny- the writing is amazing and all your favorite characters are back for non-stop fun!! Can’t wait for her third book!!
Tracy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great. Funny.
Sharon
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
Awesome! Not sure what captured my attention at the library, but I brought home Seeing Red by Dana Dratch and I'm so glad I did. Great mystery, entertaining surprises,and laugh-out-loud dialogue! I now plan to track down the rest of her books!
Betty
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Red Herring series is a delightful humorous story and a new author for me. I like it so much I went and downloaded the first book. I am looking forward to the next book. Alex Vlodnachek will encounter a BABY, greed, jealousy, missing bodies, spies, art fraud, and a family secret before she has an answer. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK.

Disclosure: Thanks to Kensington Books for a copy through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.
Ari Clay
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dana Dratch and the Vlodnachek family have stolen my heart!

Seeing Red is even better than Confessions of a Red Herring and I’m so excited for it to come out! This cozy mystery is a perfect beach, poolside, travel, and vacation read! (Or a perfect read for when you want to pretend you’re on vacation)

If it sounds like I’m gushing, that’s because I am. I love this series. It’s impossible to put down.
Honestly, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with myself until book 3 comes out!

Seeing Red is the
Dana Scott
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t want this cozy mystery to end! Multiple things going on at the same time, lots of suspense!
Jordanne
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a review copy of Seeing Red.
I love reading cozy mysteries and this one was a nice one. The main characters, Alex, is struggling as a freelance journalist when a lot of mysteries start happening in her life.
There’s the baby left anonymously in her kitchen, dead bodies that are found an the disappear in the b&b across the road and an acquintance crashing on her living room sofa who is afraid he’s being poisoned.

Seeing Red was a fun, quick read.
Sandra
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seeing Red by Dana Dratch is the second installment in Red Herring Mystery series and it just keeps getting better.

I simply love this series even though there have only been two books so far.
I like everything about it.

The main character is down to earth, pretty, funny, hardworking, kindhearted and not so lucky in love young woman with the crazy family and friends. Apart from fabulously portrayed and life like main character there is a array of side characters each more vivid and exceptional than
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the Kindle Edition 2 12 May 28, 2019 01:56AM

• Mrs. Morris and the Ghost (A Salem B&B Mystery, #1)
  • Toxic Toffee (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #4)
  • Needled to Death (A Helping Hands Mystery #1)
  • Murder's No Votive Confidence (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #1)
  • Southern Sass and Killer Cravings (Marygene Brown #1)
  • A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2)
  • Penne Dreadful (Italian Chef Mysteries #1)
  • Wonton Terror (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Sconed to Death (Cat Latimer Mystery #5)
  • Murder with Cucumber Sandwiches (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #3)
  • Death of a Gigolo (A Jaine Austen Mystery)
  • Fatal Cajun Festival: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • Murder at Crossways (Gilded Newport Mysteries #7)
  • Christmas Cow Bells (A Buttermilk Creek Mystery #1)
  • Murder in the Corn Maze (A Granny Reid Mystery #2)
  • Something Borrowed, Something Mewed (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery #5)
  • Murder at Morrington Hall (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery #1)
  • Clause & Effect (Deadly Edits #2)
Dana Dratch is the author of CONFESSIONS OF A RED HERRING and the sequel, SEEING RED -- which has Alex, Trip, rescue-pup Lucy, and the whole crazy Vlodnachek family going up against spies, art thieves and a determined, diabolical murderer. A former newspaper reporter and current personal finance writer, she’s currently writing the third Alex Vlodnachek mystery, RED HOT.

A Red Herring Mystery (3 books)
  • Confessions of a Red Herring (A Red Herring Mystery #1)
  • Red Hot (A Red Herring Mystery #3)