Start by marking “Dot Unplugged” as Want to Read:
Dot Unplugged

Dot Unplugged

Can Dot and her family make it through a rainy day without any tech?

It's pouring rain, and the power's gone out at Dot's house. Should they take it as a challenge to honor the National Day of Unplugging? Playing outside is out of the question, and so is using the many devices Dot is accustomed to. But what might the basement hold? Dot, her friend Hal, Mom, Dad, and Scratch
Published February 11th 2020 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Dot Unplugged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dot Unplugged

Start your review of Dot Unplugged
Sara Grochowski
Cute story and into to the concept of unplugging. The story could be useful during this pandemic and an order to stay home (shelter in place) because the family in the story is unable to go outside. The book concludes with 50 simple, tech-free activity suggestions.
Becky
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Old School = Lots of Fun!

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG: http://bookreadingtic.com/2020/02/21/... THANK YOU!

Want to get the kids to play the old-fashioned way, with no electronic or plugged-in items such as: televisions, cell phones, game systems or more? Dot is here to tell you how to do it. Join her, when on a rainy National Day of Unplugging, all their electronic things are turned off, and Dot doesnt know what to do.

Just when it seems all will be lost, they find some dusty old things in
Whitney
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Dot's dog Scratch wants somebody - anybody - to play with him, but the whole family is too busy with screens: video games, computers, and circuit boards. When the power goes out, the family decides to celebrate the National Day of Unplugging by staying away from screen time. Dot finds an old game in the basement, and everyone has fun doing silly tasks and creating things.

The book has its heart in the right place, but it's a bit too bland and on the nose to be really impactful. Also, the fact
Joelle
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I think this book meant well, but I was bothered by the fact that they were forced to unplug even though her mother knew it was National Day to Unplug. I felt that this aspect of the book showed that while they had fun unplugging, they will never do it again unless they are made to. It also fell short showing how much fun they can have unplugging, plus the dog still seemed to be ignored. I think a better ending would have been if they would have wound up outside (after the storm clears) playing ...more
Becky
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's sad, but it's come to this. We have to write children's books about unplugging from our devices and using our time with something other than electronics. This is the day and age in which we live. BUT since we have to, it's a fun picture book - all based around a family that unplugs for the day when their power goes out. They find things to do that they haven't done in quite awhile. Maybe start a new tradition at your house????
Melanie Coombes
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a children's picture book, about 32 pages long. Dot and her family love electronics and technology, but when the lights go out during a storm, they decide it's a perfect time to get unplugged. This book is a great message to kids and especially to parents. Kids need to use their imagination and discover creativity with simple things. The colors are really bright and eye catching for younger children. I received a complimentary book via Librarything Early Reviewers.
Elizabeth
This story is annoying because:
1- The power just HAPPENS to go out, and suddenly you remember it just HAPPENS to be National Unplug Day?
2- The power goes out (and there's a storm outside), yet the mom goes to the basement to turn the lights back on?
3- They can't think of anything to do that doesn't involve power? Sad.
4- At the start of the book, they all ignore the dog because they're "too busy" on their electronics.
John Clark
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple, straightforward picture book with an important message, not only for little readers, but their parents. That message: There's plenty to enjoy and get involved in aside from technology. The story involves Dot, her brother, parents, and the family dog, beginning when the pup wants someone to play with him. Everyone's too busy until the power goes out. When Mom remembers it's National Unplug Day, it gets everyone involved with simpler, but equally fun activities.
Maggie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libraything
The power goes out in Dot's home during a storm and her and her family need to decide what to do while the they are "unplugged". This was a great story, with a straight forward and simple message for children to understand. It shows the importance of going unplugged and that we need to set down the electronics every once and awhile. I wish it was a little longer, but it kept my 4-year old son engaged. I also really appreciated that the book has ideas in the back for unplugged activities.
Joel Singer
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
A short picture book about the fun you can have without the electricity that modern toys and devices depend on. A reasonably positive book with a good message, but kind of bland and understated, and a little "off" to me as it's based on a children's cartoon TV series - which requires electricity to plug in and watch. Some good activity ideas in the back of the book.
Paula
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the whole idea of being unplugged....in today's world, that is something we should all do. I loved how the family came together and enjoyed their time together and didn't want to quit when their time was up....
Tracie
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect story for these times. When Dot and family lose power, they discover how fun unplugging can be! Full page of suggestions in the back for things to do.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dot's family takes on the challenge of National Day of Unplugging.
Wylaina
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
There are better books about "unplugging" out there.
Lisa D
rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2020

• No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired
  • Ducks!
  • The Blunders: A Counting Catastrophe!
  • The Box Turtle
  • Don't Feed the Coos!
  • Facts vs. Opinions vs. Robots
  • Jack Goes West
  • Cyclops of Central Park
  • Five Little Bunnies (Pete the Cat)
Candlewick Press arrived on the scene with some of the highest-quality picture books anywhere. And in the years since then, our offerings have grown to encompass all ages, from board books to e-books, high-end novelty to cutting-edge fiction. What hasn't changed is our goal of excellence, our model of independence, and our commitment to the authors and illustrators who create our books and the ...more

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...