Start by marking “The Secret of White Stone Gate (Black Hollow Lane, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of White Stone Gate (Black Hollow Lane, #2)

The Secret of White Stone Gate

(Black Hollow Lane #2)

In this exciting sequel to The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane, Emmy's adventures continue as she deals with a sinister organization, a missing father, and secrets she's not sure who to trust with.

After spending the summer at home, Emmy cannot wait to return to Wellsworth for the new school year and reunite with her best friends, Lola and Jack. Before she leaves Emmy receives
Published March 3rd 2020 by Sourcebooks Young Readers

Start your review of The Secret of White Stone Gate (Black Hollow Lane, #2)
Christi M
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
In The Secret of White Stone Gate, loyalties and friendships are tested as the Order of the Black Hollow Lane blackmail, threaten, and do whatever else they can think up with the goal of convincing Emmy to give them what they want – her father.

The end of the summer break is finally over and Emmy is excited to be heading back to school, with one exception. Her mother is now requiring her to check in with some family members who live in England – family members whose only concerned that Emmy might
Samantha
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two books in, this remains a solid middle reader series.

Nobel’s characters and their adventures continue to be appealing for both young readers and adults, and though the setting wasn’t as prominent in this installment, it remains a good one.

It’s a little disappointing that the story doesn’t really make any progress in this book. Plot points occur, action ensues, but in the end, the reader knows very little more about the Order or the greater plot than they did at the end of book one. I’m not
Abigail
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed 'The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane'
American schoolgirl Emmeline Willick returns for her second year at British coeducational boarding school Wellsworth in this sequel to The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane . Happy to be with her friends Lola and Jack again, Emmy thinks that she is done with the sinister Order of Black Hollow Lane. A secret society made up of some of the most powerful people in the UK, recruited during their time at Wellsworth, the Order had once included Emmy's own father, who had had to fake his own death to esc ...more
Mila
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is quite a solid sequel, even though it's not as eventful and fast-paced as the first book. We spend more time getting to know the main trio and some other new characters as well. I still wish there was a bit more variety plotwise but overall, I enjoyed reading this book and I'm excited about any possible sequels!
amanda
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the Black Hollow Lane series which follows a young girl named Emmy who is shipped off to a boarding school to England by her mother.

You can read my full review of that book on my blog here: click me

We're back at Wellsworth Boarding School for year 2 of Emmy's studies and even more dangerous adventures!!

Uh...right?

Once again, this reminded me a lot of Harry Potter but with not so much of the magic and charm. There's even some Dursley-ish characters thrown in but they'r
The Crime Librarian
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Set in a mysterious old boarding school in England, The Secret of White Stone Gate is the second in the Black Hollow Lane series from Julia Nobel. All of the wonderful characters from the first book with a few additions have returned to Wellsworth for the new term. We still find Emmy attempting to hide the truth about her father from the Order, but once again they will stop at nothing to find the truth.

The setting and the relationships between the characters are truly the selling points for thi
Lana
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to The Mystery at Black Hollow Lane. It’s been several months since I read the first one and I easily picked up the storyline without missing a beat. I’m not sure if it was the story or just enjoying being deeper into this series, but I actually enjoyed reading this one even more than the first! I’m anxiously awaiting the next installment!
Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for this advanced copy!
 Reading Reindeer
I read this immediately after reading the first in the Series, MYSTERY OF BLACK HOLLOW LANE. I adored this mystery equally. Author Julia Nobel certainly comprehends the minds of her young adolescent subjects (12 in the first book, 13 in this) and makes me recall some of my thoughts and feelings from back in the day. I even more than once found myself responding and mentally speaking out on protagonist Emmy's behalf (especially in regard to certain authority figures and busybodies wannabe authori ...more
Darla
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sequel that ramps up the stakes and gives us more of Emmy vs the Order. In this one, the people close to Emmy are being punished for her refusal to hand over either the medals or information on her father's whereabouts. She is between a rock and a hard place, for sure! With an action scene that could be a part of the Mission Possible franchise, we race to a satisfactory ending with hopes for a trilogy.

Thank you to Sourcebooks and Edelweiss for a DRC in exchange for an honest review.
Jennie
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent follow up to the first book. 💫
Amy
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The Secret of White Stone Gate was a fun middle grade book about three best friends at an English boarding school banding together to solve a mystery: who stole the charity money they helped raise. I liked all the characters. Emmy was a great main character and her friends, Lola and Jack are also well written. I did guess one of the plot twists but not both. But it was also slightly problematic for me as it had too many plot parallels to Harry Potter. Three best friends solving mysteries in an E ...more
K
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
An utter disappointment of a sequel to a smashing series debut novel.
Becky B
Emmy is back for her second year of school at Wellsworth, and though the Order’s man who tried kill her last year is no longer on staff, the Order still has a definite presence at the school. And they are still determined to use Emmy to get at the medallions they are pretty sure are still in her dad’s possession. Emmy isn’t going to give in to their bullying to give them access to something so dangerous for the rest of the world. But then they start threatening the people she loves. They start b ...more
Hope Grietzer
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this sequel to The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane, Emmy flies back to England and her friends at the Wellsworth boarding school for another semester of intrigue and mystery. Details needed from the first book are seamlessly woven into the early chapters, so the reader is smoothly launched into this new adventure.

The plot jumps into high gear as the secretive Order pressures Emmy to reveal her father’s location. Other than a cryptic note to “Trust no one”, Emmy’s had no recent communication from
Elliot Smith
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In The Secret of White Stone Gate, Julia Nobel showcases her skill at creating realistic plots and characters and writing a story that feels as fantastical as any fantasy.

Nobel perfectly balances the need for the mystery to be larger than life to be entertaining, while remaining grounded enough that a reader can easily believe they might stubble upon a conspiracy like the one Emmy and her friends unravel within. The Secret of White Stone Gate shines among its peers for being a book in which you
Kathie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020myrca
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an eARC of this book.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, THE MYSTERY OF BLACK HOLLOW LANE, and I've been looking forward to reading the sequel.

Emmy returns to Wellsworth for her second year, desperately hoping the drama from last year is over, but she learns very quickly that is not the case. Louisa is expelled from school for a crime that she did not commit, and the Emmy and Jack are determined to figure out who set her up and how to get
Margaret
The 2nd book continues a few months after the conclusion of book 1, The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane. I really enjoyed that book, it set the stage for this series with its many layers, interesting characters, and plot. While being familiar with most of the players there were a few new ones that added interest, intrigue and had me wondering if I could trust any of them.

That being said I didn’t find this one as captivating as the first one, I missed the many layers and a number of plot points remi
Tara
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited this book is out in the world today! My boys are super into mysteries lately and play Clue almost every day. They LOVE this series by Julia Nobel.

It’s even better when a sequel can hold up to your expectations after reading the first, and this book definitely does.

The Order of Black Hollow Lane are at it again and the reader gets to follow Emmy back to boarding school to face them. She also needs to face who to trust, especially around family.

My favorite new character in this
Lauren Falcone
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this advanced copy through Netgalley and I’m so glad I did!

This is a sequel to The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane. While I did not read the first book I now want to! It was easy to pick up on the story line. I loved that I was kept engaged from the beginning. Emmy is courageous, strong willed, and stands up for what she believes in. Her journey is met with trials in school and friendship making hard choices no one wants to make.

This is eerily reminiscent of Harry Potter minus the fant
Sara Hill
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-books
The Secret of White Stone Gate by Julia Nobel consumed me from start to finish. The eeriness greeted me and accompanied me throughout the entire story.

This Middle Grade read is perfect for tweens and adults alike. Each of the characters is well developed. There twists the entire time. Some as an adult I figured out some and others still took me by surprise. No one could be trusted by either the characters or the reader. I did not realize when reading this that it was a sequel. I never felt lost
Bayley Pepper
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was so excited when I got this book because I loved the first one so much. This book was soo good!! I read the entire book in one day and I loved it! These characters are all so compelling and fun; I was easily able to jump right back into the story. I loved the mystery in this book—such a great series! The pacing, plot, and characters were all great and I completely adored this book!

This was a
Marisahh
Mar 25, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
They changed the narrator from the first book and all the characters now have different accents? I can't tell if she's using a fake british accent or a fake american accent because they're both just so weird and childish. The original narrator did a great job distinguishing between characters (two of which are from Scotland and had a Scottish accent) and the new narrator has completely dropped them! I'm so disappointed, I was really looking forward to listening but I can't get past this awful ne ...more
Jessica
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book in this series because of its dark and mysterious plot line. Emmy’s harrowing adventure in her first year at Wellsworth had me itching for more. It’s no secret that I love a good secret society, especially when there is a nefarious plot mixed in there. When I was finally able to get my hands on The Secret of White Stone Gate my excitement was palpable. So did it live up to my expectations? Oh yes, yes friends it did.

First off, Emmy was still the same intelligent and feisty
Terry
The mystery is well devised, well paced, and unfolds in ways that is sometimes predictable, and sometimes not. In the end, the "thing" that drives Emmy the most - protecting those she loves - is resolved, yet there is just enough loose thread to push the reader to think about what might happen next.

Read these books in order. Get the full review at the Reading Tub.
Jenny Yergin
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great follow up to the first book in the series.
I love the characters, they are very relatable and deal with mostly normal problems except for the whole secret society trying to kill and blackmail Emmy.
I figured our the plot fairly quickly but I think its a great mystery for upper elementary students.
Aaronlisa
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I liked this sequel and I really hope there is a third book. I found that there was less action and more mystery in this one, which suited the whole secret society set at a prestigious boarding school. The justification for why Emmy doesn’t include an adult makes sense. And I like Emmy and her friends, they feel like real kids. They aren’t perfect and they make mistakes.
Lisa Day
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was easy to get back into the world of Emma, Jack, Lola and a secret society at a U.K. boarding school. My 11 year old loved it this second book in the series. He couldn't believe it was over when I attempted to read another book. Action, adventure, puzzles, whodunnit. Looking forward to Book 3.
Erin
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Secret of The White Stone Gate is a great page-turning follow up to The Mystery at Black Hollow Lane. It is populated by interesting and well-written characters. If you liked the first one I don't think you'll be disappointed by this sequel. I will definitely continue with this series.
Ara
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book! A sequel to “the mystery of black hollow lane” I can’t even say which one is better! I suggest reading both of them! I think the age range for this book and the first is from 10-14.❤️❤️😊😊
sophia 🍃
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5! I really really enjoyed this. It was easy to read and engaging. That being said, it definitely wasn’t as exciting as the last book, which is why I took off half a star. I liked the characters a lot too. If there isn’t another one I will scream

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock
  • Theme Music
  • Resurrection Girls
  • We Should All Be Mirandas: Life Lessons from Sex and the City’s Most Underrated Character
  • Stumptown, Vol. 1: The Case of the Girl Who Took Her Shampoo (But Left her Mini)
  • A House of Ghosts
  • Snow: A Scientific and Cultural Exploration
  • The Golden Hour
  • The Pearl Dagger (Art Deco Mystery #3)
  • Midnight on Strange Street
  • Shiny Broken Pieces (Tiny Pretty Things, #2)
  • Salt Slow
  • The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street
  • Mortal Music (Silver Rush, #7)

Black Hollow Lane (2 books)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)