Start by marking “Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood” as Want to Read:
Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood

Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood

Robyn Hood didn’t set out to rob the rich, but in Nottingham, nothing ever goes according to plan....

After a fateful hunting accident sends her on the run from the law, Robyn finds herself deep in the heart of Sherwood Forest. All she really wants to do is provide for her family and stay out of trouble, but when the Sheriff of Nottingham levies the largest tax in the histo
Published January 21st 2020 by Bywater Books

To ask other readers questions about Nottingham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nottingham

Start your review of Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood
Jude in the Stars
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay. This book broke me. It tore my heart out then proceeded very slowly to put it back. Very very slowly.

Nottingham is the second lesbian Robin Hood retelling I’ve read in less than six months. While Niamh Murphy’s Outlaw: A Lesbian Retelling of Robyn Hood had a definite YA feel, Anna Burke’s Nottingham is all grownup.

An endless feud between the Sheriff of Nottingham and Robyn’s family sends her hiding in the Sherwood Forest, when all she was trying to do was care for her family. The woods are
lov2laf
If I’m going to invest time in reading a story about Robin Hood I have two questions: Is it immersive? And, does it have something new to offer?

When it comes to “Nottingham”, I can easily say “Yes” to both of those questions.

Anna Burke successfully met some challenging tasks of bringing a medieval time to life while also producing a strong ensemble cast of characters. True, she borrowed characters that already existed in previous versions of the Robin Hood story but they easily could’ve been two
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood’ is a lesbian retelling book of English folklore legendary character Robin Hood, one of the most well-known stories of the Middle Ages. This is the third published book by Ms. Burke though the author says that this is the first novel she ever wrote. For some reason, she waited some time to publish it but I’m glad that she finally did. Ms. Burke is part of a new generation of young lesfic talented authors which gives me hope for the future of the genre. I ...more
Betty
After reading Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood by Anna Burke, there are a few things I can say without hesitation. This is an absolutely brilliantly written story, I now have a new addition to my favorite books list, and Anna Burke has joined my list of favorite authors.

Nottingham, as the title suggests, is a retelling of the story of Robin Hood with a decidedly LGBTQ+ slant. Even with this retelling, Ms. Burke does manage to keep the basic premise of the story comparable to the original
Carrie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Female Robyn Hood.

There is no question that Anna Burke can write. She can set a scene simply by changing her writing style to match the era of her stories. And it is because of her writing that I was able to get through this.

Look. Burke wrote the best book that I read last year, 'Compass Rose.' Definitely stop what you are doing and read that one if you haven't. Since reading that, I have gone into the last two Burke books I've read with extremely high expectations. I'm fully aware that is prob
hubsie
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did anyone else have an obsession with Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in 1991? It was a constant at every sleepover birthday party I attended for a good year. All of us crazy about Bryan Adam's theme song, and many crushing on Christian Slater (not me). One thing for sure, NO ONE was crushing on Kevin Costner's terrible, god-awful English accent. Just.....google it if you are one of the few who is not familiar with this travesty.

This was a fun twist on a classic story, with females and trans male
Angel
Oh my gosh!!! I’ve been anxiously awaiting this story that’s filled to the brim with awesomeness!!! I couldn’t get enough of these unique and endearing characters because I’ve spent my Christmas Day in good company with Robyn, Marian and the other badass women in this novel. I’ve had the pleasure of living vicariously through Robyn as she did her best to keep her family and her group of merry women safe and I had the time of my life just laughing at the way Robyn and her fellow outlaws did every ...more
AnnMaree Of Oz
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"there is a place here for all of us to exist as we are, instead of how others wish us to be."

I loved this epic lesbian retelling of the classic Robin Hood. I always loved the story growing up, and have read two other wlw retellings, but this one is by far the best.

I adored the host of characters and their connection to eachother, and their creation of family. Tom and his sweet little sister, Lisbet. Midge and Little John. Will and Alanna. Tuck and Yvette. Robyn and Marian. Beswoon my heart!

My
Book Barbarian  (Tammy Smith)
eARC received from Edelweiss, thank you to Edelweiss and Bywater Books (opinions are my own).

A gorgeous LGBT retelling of a classic we all know and love by an outstanding writer; steamy , women-centric and beautifully imagined.

Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood by Anna Burke
Standalone
Publish Date: January 21st 2020
Cover Rating: 7/10
Adult – Retelling – LGBTQ – Historical Fiction

What is this book about?
A deadly hunting accident sends Robyn into the woods, running from the law. All Robyn w
Silvia
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
*sapphic noises*

This was very good and it only took me a long time to finish it because of university, I kind of wish I had waited to read it when I could have enjoyed binging it in a shorter time but I also know that when a book takes me such a long actual reading time it's because I don't skim-read (too many) paragraphs and that's usually a sign I'm loving it.

I did find the writing very detailed and that means that sometimes it was easy to just focus on the dialogue instead but in general I t
Amanda
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It seems like when you get a book you don't want to put down, life gets insanely busy. I didn't get to binge this one as I wanted, and it drove me nuts. I thought about getting to read it and looked forward to a break so I could get a few pages in. This is my second book by Burke (other was Thorn) and I enjoyed them both, but this one I loved.

A retelling of the old tale, only so much better. The romance is good but not heavy, and the characters are amazing and well developed. I loved them all a
Tara
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Have you ever said to yourself “I want to read a Robin Hood story, but full of lesbians and other queer people?” Well, good news! Because that’s exactly what Nottingham is! I couldn’t have come up with a more joyfully queer interpretation of it if I’d tried. That said, it’s specifically the queer rep that’s joyful and not much else, because this is a gritty adventure story where the only foxes in it are ones that get hunted.

Full review: https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/r...
Carolyn McBride
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I loved this book! (I have no idea why it has taken me so long to write a review of it)
The characters were brilliantly re-worked and yet distinctive. While I could see who their canon counterparts were, Anna Burke's equivalents were people in their own right. The story was gripping, moving and kept me reading long past when the light should have been turned off.
This is a book to buy your lesbian friends, or at the very least, tell them about. This is a book to buy all the folks newly emerged fr
Alex
When I was a little girl (3-4 years old) I was obsessed with Robin Hood (not the fox version, I never liked that) and Rambo. Apparently I wanted to be a fugitive 🤷🏻‍♀️or just be in the woods fighting, I don’t know. I remember watching the Kevin Costner movie on tv and wanting to live in the woods, have a bow and shoot arrow at bad people. Then, on my early teenage years (14) my brother got us a computer game about him (Robin, not Kevin) and it’s fair to say my mom had to break that CD because we ...more
Vicky
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
What a great book. It’s a retelling of the famous Robin Hood. You wouldn’t know it’s the first novel Anna Burke wrote.

She writes so well that I felt like I was part of the journey.
The story has a good pace and the beginning will definitely break your heart. There is diversity and depth in the characters, the places are very well described. There is sadness, joy, pain, resilience, friendship, lust, love and many other feelings.
Well let’s just say everything worked for me.

I really really enjoyed
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, read-2020
AAAaaaaaAAAaa they’re wives, they steal from the rich and they have a found family .. what more could I possibly want/need?
Mischenko
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I can’t lie: the cover for this book is what originally pulled me in, and I live for retellings. Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood turned out to be a delicious retelling that totally transported me back in time to the Middle Ages.

The story opens with Robyn who’s struggling to thrive alongside her brother and his wife, who’s expecting a baby. The sheriff of the land is brutal and unfortunately hates them. After enduring a horrible life changing event, Robyn expels herself into the forest
Anastacia
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s a book that starts in tears, and ending with smiles! This book starts with quite a lot of heartbreaking and for me, the story a bit slow. To be honest, I just started to get interested in this book after reading 30 percent of it and got excited after reading half of it. All the characters in this book have their own strengths. Even it’s slow in starting but end up having the most remarkable ending! Worth reading it! The fairy tale of lesfic version.
Colleen Corgel
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f-romance, fantasy
This is excellent! This is probably Burke's best book yet! Like all Burke's books, this is a slightly darker version of the tale - not gritty, necessarily, but darker and more grounded. This Robyn is not part of the nobility, but a peasant who is feeling the wrath of the crush of the ruling class. It is a sad beginning, and makes Robyn much more relatable. Her vendetta of revenge against the Sheriff of Nottingham then switching to something more altruistic just moves so smoothly.

There's so much
•°• gabs •°•
"I . . ." she began, uncertain, and then the words flowed out of her. "I vow to love you, come winter or spring, beneath these trees or beneath this earth, until our souls meet again in the next world."

UHMMM HELLO??? THEY RE WIVES???
the found family!! the writing!! the romance!! the humour!! WHEW!!!
XR
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2020
Fcuking beautiful!

This is the best retelling of Robyn Hood I've read thus far. Anna Burke just gets better and better in every book she writes.
Megan EM
Retellings of Robin Hood are a guilty pleasure of mine, and this one did not disappoint!
Les Rêveur
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
And boom! Another phenomenal book by Anna Burke

Nottingham was everything I hoped it would be and so much more. In all honesty, this review is after my second reading of this book because I struggled to review it after the first read. Not because I didn’t enjoy it, but because I adored it so much that words escaped me in how to describe how much I loved this book. It truly is outstanding.

Anna Burke had me on the edge of my seat with anticipation, and then she threw me a curveball that kept me gue
V
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This incarnation of Robyn and Marian surpasses the legend that inspired it. Call them star crossed lovers, but Burke gives them an emotional depth that resonated with me and kept me captivated from beginning to end. Nottingham is populated with a wonderfully queer and robust cast of characters. Burke creates side characters who are completely unique and immediately sympathetic.

Burke has the amazing ability to bring a fictional world to life with her exceptional prose. She infuses every scene wi
Emily Joy
I'm definitely going to write a full review of this book and will post the link when it's published next month.

For now, I think I have finally found a lesbian Robin Hood retelling that gracefully deals with medieval LGBTQ characters, and incorporates real documented facts about medieval queer history. I found this book to be mostly believable, and a very engaging read. It's been a while since I couldn't wait to get back to reading a book! I will probably enjoy rereading it again in the future!

I
Nad
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ALREADY MY FAVORITE BOOK OF THE YEAR
Carol Douglas
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love retellings of tales that show the hero was really lesbian, so I had to read Nottingham. It is very well done historical fiction.

Robyn and her friends, and Marian and her friends, are interesting. Little John, Willa Scarlet, and Alanna of the Dale didn't feel forced. The Prioress, Tuck, was pleasantly tough.

The book shows how difficult things were for the poor back in the time of Crusades. It also provides believable lesbian couples.
Misago
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

I love myself a good sapphic-ization of legends and myths, and I loved Compass Rose and Thorn by the same author, so I was looking forward to this.

It was a nice enough read.

Marian's character growth was nice, and she felt like more of a protagonist. I liked that she was headstrong within the confines she had been raised in, and that she grew out of those confines and showed off her determination.

Robyn, sadly, had less development. She felt brash and impulsive the whole way through, an
catLin
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
Harold, they're lesbians!
Seriously though
So many wlws
Loved to see that
Girl power - loved to see that
Trans rep loved to see that (although had a bit of an issue about those dead name mentions, like it was already established, no need for that...)
Overall plot pretty good
The little spins on the legend and Easter eggs were so fun
What didn't work for me as much:
-a bit of instalove - okay the plot spans months but we're seeing them meet a few times and they're ready to do a medieval version o
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, historical
Disclaimer: As soon as I read the blurb for this book (queer feminist retelling of Robin Hood) I was sold. It ended up being like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, but where the band of merry men were lesbians instead of Americans. I had very high hopes and it actually surpassed my expectations, it was that brilliant.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Reaping the Benefits
  • Hotel Queens
  • Wrong Number, Right Woman
  • Those Who Wait
  • When You Least Expect It
  • Endgame
  • Entangled  (Tangle Valley, #1)
  • To the Moon and Back
  • Aurora's Angel
  • Mutual Benefits
  • The Love Factor
  • Treasured
  • The Fate of Stars (Sea and Stars, #1)
  • Two to Tangle (Tangle Valley, #2)
Raised in Upstate New York, Anna Burke graduated from Smith College in 2012 with a B. A. in English Literature and Studio Art. She was the inaugural recipient of the Sandra Moran Scholarship for the Golden Crown Literary Society’s Writing Academy.

Anna has lived all along the Eastern seaboard, but wrote her debut novel, the high seas adventure Compass Rose (2018), while living on a small island in