Start by marking “Mystery of the Lord's Supper: Sermons by Robert Bruce” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Lord's Supper: Sermons by Robert Bruce

Mystery of the Lord's Supper: Sermons by Robert Bruce

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The Westminster Confession is a foundational document for countless churches worldwide. Churches of all sizes claim it as their confession and hold to it with varying degrees of closeness. However how many people actually have any real knowledge of the Confession or feel it is only of relevance to their church leaders Joey Pipa's study book is the ideal tool for all Christ ...more
Published November 20th 2012 by Christian Heritage (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Lord's Supper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery of the Lord's Supper

Samuel McCann
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this was a really good explanation of the sacrament. I think most Christians within the Reformed tradition would do well to read this. One also can see the pastoral side of Reformed theology come through with emphasis on God's mercy and love. I think a lot of his theological insights continue to have relevance today and inform our interactions with the sacrament. This is what I loved about this book.

What I didn't like was at times it drifted into the polemic tone of its day against Rom
Daniel Schwamm
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book contains a theologically robust and clear explanation of the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. There is a thorough discussion of our spiritual reception of Christ as we partake in the Supper by the Holy Spirit through faith.

Bruce clearly articulates the relationship between the elements or the signs, the bread and the cup, and the things signified in them, the Body and Blood of Christ, or more specifically Christ Himself.

Bruce gives a detailed explanation of the connection between word a
Jeffrey Brannen
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with most writing I've encountered on the Sacraments, I find myself swamped by nuance and what seems to be the splitting of hairs. I've rated it four stars because I'm certain it is my dullness not the author that's at fault.

The book has five chapters and three subjects. "The Sacraments in General" (chap.1), "The Lord's Supper in Particular" (chap.2-3), and "The Preparation for the Lord's Supper" (chap.4-5).

The summary of the book might be this - in the Supper we get the same Christ who is
Osvaldo
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent treatment of the Lord's Supper. Full of clear exposition and reasoned "good and necessary consequences" drawn from Scripture, this book requires careful and reflective reading. At the same time, as a collection of sermons, the book is full of practical and devotional application and guidance for the Christian. This is a book that I have added to my list of works such as Athanasius's On the Incarnation and Augustine's Confession that require rereading over the course of one's life.
Alasdair Peterson
Very rich and edifying account of the nature, meaning and practice of the Lord's Supper. Bruce shows that the Supper is not just a chance to remember Christ's death but, in doing so, to meet with the risen Christ and feast on his death by faith, not physical digestion. Also two helpful sermons on preparing oneself for partaking of the supper.
Jason Farley
May 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Robert Bruce was a major voice warning about the enlightenment and the minimizing of the sacraments because of the enlightenment.
Kenny Keahey
Oct 29, 2012
Joel
Dec 13, 2012
Nov 19, 2011
Robert Bruce is an English-born mystic author living in Perth, Australia. Bruce is best known for his studies of Out Of Body Experience, which first became public in the early 1990s through his activity in the alt.out-of-body Internet news group. Over time, he collected and peer-tested his findings in an evolving set of articles, A Treatise on Astral Projection, which he later expanded upon substa ...more
More about Robert Bruce
“He tended to live too much by the private judgements of his own conscience and not enough by the sheer Word of the Gospel, forgetting, perhaps, that if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, infinitely greater. That is the Majesty of His Mercy. Over against that the Christian conscience is not something that a man possesses in himself, but something that he shares with his fellow-believers, and above all that which they in togetherness share with God, a con-science which is their joint knowing of the Divine will in Christ announced to them through the Gospel. The tendency for the conscience to rely upon itself as an autonomous or semi-autonomous principle was characteristic of the humanism of the Renaissance,” 1 likes
“God in His mercy and in His infinite and bottomless compassion, has set up this Sacrament as a sign upon a high hill, so that it may be seen on every side, far and near, to recall all those who have shamefully run away; and He clucks to them as a hen to a chicken to gather them under the wings of His infinite mercy. The” 0 likes