Start by marking “The Word Before the Powers: An Ethic of Preaching” as Want to Read:
The Word Before the Powers: An Ethic of Preaching

The Word Before the Powers: An Ethic of Preaching

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In this examination of the ethical significance of preaching, Charles Campbell provides both fresh insights into the relationship between preaching and ethics and a challenging moral vision for the contemporary church. Moving beyond a narrow focus on moral decision-making or social-issues sermons, Campbell argues that a particular ethic--nonviolent resistance--is inherent ...more
Published November 30th 2002 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Word Before the Powers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word Before the Powers

Drew Darby
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was very provocative (in a great way). I believe the act of preaching is, as Campbell argues, an important embodiment of the Church's non-violent resistance to the forces of evil in the world, and I also believe preachers should be aware of that!

On the minus side, some of the terminology the author uses, mostly picked up from Wink or Stringfellow, starts sounding a little clunky or even outdated (à la 1984 or some such cold war-era dystopian novel). I think the idea is to avoid the Pau
Steven
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and thought-provoking. Gives a totally unique way of looking at the "principalities and powers" and how they impact life, and on the role of preaching in confronting them in a non-violent way. I particularly enjoyed Campbell's use of "The Grapes of Wrath" as a way of looking at the principalities and powers.
Brett Stuvland
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A manifesto for what I want to be/embody in my life, thoughts, preaching, teaching, etc.
Quinn
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chuck Campbell's examination of the Biblical "Powers and Principalities," their action in the world today, and the job of the preacher in challenging the unchecked aggression of the powers.
Keith Clark