Start by marking “Cold is the Caller (DI Bethany Smith #1)” as Want to Read:
Cold is the Caller (DI Bethany Smith #1)

Cold is the Caller

(DI Bethany Smith #1)

COLD IS THE CALLER WHO HAS AN AXE TO GRIND

DI Bethany Smith is called out to a murder scene where the state of the body is like nothing she’s ever seen before. The victim, a male, has been left in a terrifying mess. Why? What do the clues left behind mean? They’re not obviously pointing to anything, and working it out is nigh on impossible.

Then a second body is found, a
Published July 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Cold is the Caller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold is the Caller

Start your review of Cold is the Caller (DI Bethany Smith #1)
M.A. Comley
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my giddy aunt... what a fabulous read. Definitely not for the faint-hearted, so if you're of a nervous disposition I would steer clear, saying that I think you'd be foolish not to read this stunning novel.

I absolutely love Bethany Smith and her team. They're up against it when they discover the body of a man with horrific injuries. I'm not going to say more about the crimes, I hate spoilers. What i will say is that I loved how we saw half of the book through the eyes of the killer. He's a
M
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strong NC-17 Grisly murder scenes, OTT violence, blood & gore & guts. Plus NSFW language

If you have a weak stomach, you should reconsider reading this book. Horror fans, here’s a crime fiction book for you!

The main storyline is a police procedural, but there are OTT horror elements throughout. For example, a murder victim’s horrific mutilation injuries are minutely and—I’m not kidding here—almost lovingly described. To add to the horror, the author presents the murderer’s POV, which is
Dee Groocock
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My goodness, what a book! Emmy Ellis has done it again! This book is definitely not for the faint hearted.
Why has Jason been murdered, partially skinned and had his innards removed? Bethany and her partner Mike need to find answers, unfortunately the answers don’t come soon enough. Over 3 nights, 3 people are murdered, what links them?
Such a brilliant start to a new series. Loving the characters in this first book and I can’t wait to read more in the series. Bethany and her partner Mike have a
Craig Gillan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book from an author with a twisted mind, great characters and a gruesome story
Audrey Gibson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG what have I just read!!!!!! This is a brilliantly gruesome story I couldn't put down. This is the first book I've read by this author and can't wait to read more.
Ami-May
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, My bl**dy Jesus! This has to be the mostf##cked-up, gruesome,sick inducingandhorror-strickenbook that Emmy has wrote to date. If you’re sensitive then, I would be cautious but even so, you don’t want to miss reading this book at all.

I will never ever look at a Hoover in the same way ever again….

I liked how we got into the mind of the killer as it is told from his POV as wellDI Bethany Smith.

I am absolutely lovingDI Bethany Smith. She is such a loveable, funny character and you will love her
Sean Talbot
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the series and all I can think of is this was such a warped book and so good.
I loved the writing and love Bethany she is such a strong person. She has a lot of ability and she is not one to be idle.
With a book as warped as this one you really do get to see the best and worst in human nature. This book had everything that I could ever want with action and incredibly emotional storytelling.
I really can’t wait to get into more of this authors novels. What I will say I am
Nikki  Ayling
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Emmy Ellis has a habit of writing books that hook you in and make you hold on as it twists and turns like a rollercoaster ride. This new series certainly manages that as well. I immediately loved the character of DI Bethany Smith, I loved her role as a DI and her personal life that weaved it's way through the story.

I have already preordered the next in the series. Congratulations Emmy for another fantastic read.
Linda O
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Not for the feint of heart

In reading this first in the series, I found myself skimming pages of the crime descriptions - 'tmi' for me. Am going to give the 2nd in the series a read, to see if this level of detail continues. The characters are well drawn, and I like following a series of mysteries featuring a group of investigators.
Beth
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book

The story in this book was really good. I like the characters and setting. What I didn’t like was the random use of the f word. It seemed to be thrown in randomly. There was no need for it, it was just there. I still gave it a 4 and I’ll read more.
Christina
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow I couldn't put it down.

This was a fantastic read. Even though we, as readers knew quite early who the killer was it was soooo interesting to follow the investigation. The characters were all very likeable and I cannot wait to read the next book.

kathy bracy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good

I really enjoyed this book even though the murderer was known very early on in the book. Seeing his total descent into madness
Michelle Debnam
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For all Emmy Ellis fans this is a must read, another gripping series start and cant wait for the second
Kathy Norton
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The ending could have been better but it was overall a good book.
Claire Frost
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this
Pam Mc Donnell
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a belter of a book. Someone is out for revenge and at times there are gruesome parts bit this adds to the killer's mind. Highly recommended
linda hughes
K Smith
Dec 19, 2019
Erin
Dec 30, 2019

• The Murder Pact (DI Sara Ramsey Book 5)
  • Goodbye My Precious Child (DI Sally Parker #6)
  • Overdue Justice
  • Torn Apart (Hero, #1)
  • Deluded (DI Sara Ramsey, #4)
  • His Last Breath: (DI Karen Heath Crime Series Book 2)
  • Lost Innocence
  • BACK TO LIFE: A Scottish Crime Thriller (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 2)
  • Dark of Mind (DS Lasser Book 21)
  • The Lies They Told (DI Karen Heath #1)
  • Brutal Pursuit (DI Tanya Miller investigates #3)
  • Dead of Night
  • Watch Her Die
  • Paper Girls (DCI Kett, #1)
  • Tragic Deception (Deception, #1)
  • Murder At The Wedding
  • Sticks and Stones (DCI Harry McNeil #1)
  • Two Victims (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 2)
Author of the DI Tracy Collier series

DI Bethany Smith (6 books)
  • Down in the Garden (DI Bethany Smith #2)
  • Red is the Colour (DI Bethany Smith #3)
  • How Skin Burns (DI Bethany Smith #4)
  • Death is a Party (DI Bethany Smith #5)
  • The Gift is Murder (DI Bethany Smith #6)