Start by marking “The Ladies' Man” as Want to Read:
The Ladies' Man

The Ladies' Man

A straight-talking comic novel with a silver-tongued anti-hero. The re-appearance of Nash Harvey on the doorstep of the Dobbin sisters -- attractive red-headed spinsters Kathleen, Adele and Lois -- thirty years after he deserted Adele on the evening of their engagement party, is the opening of this superb romantic comedy. Debonair and pathologically unreliable, Nash is abo ...more
Published by Fourth Estate (GB) (first published June 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Ladies' Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ladies' Man

Start your review of The Ladies' Man
Nick Duretta
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, light story about three sisters in their forties and fifties finally coming to terms with their single state and finding men. The central character is Harvey Nash, a pathetic boy-child who coasts through life on his good looks, never really maturing, endlessly repeating mistakes of the past. There are some weighty themes here but they're encased in a sitcom-like jokiness that at times works and at other times doesn't. Still, this was an entertaining and well-crafted read.
Lauren
Jun 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ugh! I did not really like anything about this book. Not the characters, not the way it ended. Thank goodness it was short because even when I don't like a book, I have a need to finish it and see how it ends. This one almost felt like she just stopped writing when she hit 200 pages. Couldn't wait to move on to a new book.
Elizabeth Bober
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the heck out of this fun romantic comedy. In the hands of another writer it could turn sour or saccharine but Lippmann writes with the perfect amount of insight, humor, and good-heartedness.
John
Nov 26, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up used after having seen the film adaptation of another book by Lipman called "Then She Found Me" which I'd really enjoyed. Faithful to the cover of this novel it really tries for a classic old fashioned Hollywood romantic screwball comedy with witty banter & characters, but everything just falls flat. There is a jolt of modern sexuality that plays in once in a while but the effect just comes off as crassness that doesn't jibe with the general tone. The threadbare plot involves th ...more
Dark-Draco
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This really isn't my usual type of book, but I rescued it from my sister's bookshelf. I was quite glad that I did.

The story is about the three Dobbin sisters, their brother and the return into their lives of Nash Harvey, the man who jilted Adele Dobbin many years ago. Nash is the 'ladies man' of the title, stringing on a number of women as he uses the excuse of catching up with Adele to escape a failing career and relationship.

This was funny, very different, and although not the out and out 'hap
Sandra Hutchison
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor-pathos
This is one of those Lipman books, like THE PURSUIT OF ALICE THRIFT, that have fun with an awful guy, the ladies' man of the title, who manages to spark a number of stories. (There seems to be an overarching philosophy in her world that awful people have a way of driving good people into each other's arms.) It has so many characters that I was slightly less emotionally involved than I have been with others of hers I've recommended, but it's just so damned funny. It also has a flashback scene of ...more
Linda
Aug 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my type of book. Silly, waste of time. Not entertaining and I didn't learn anything from it. It was on my bookshelf and I read it. I'll personally avoid this author, not because she's a bad author but I just don't like silly books.
Kathy
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best book. I didn't like all the characters, and it wasn't as humorous as her best works. I still think "The Family Man" was by far her best book. I'm rather sad that it's the first one I read, and the rest haven't quite measured up.
Martha
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
In the "I just want to be entertained" category. And, really, what is wrong with that. Sometimes. Put this in a stack that includes Diane Johnson and Cathleen Shine. Summer is just around the corner.
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Lipman's sardonic humor and quirky cast of characters more than make up for a predictable plot. Like her other novels this amounted to a whole lot of fun.
NotMyRealName
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Skip this one and read the others

I’ve enjoyed other books by this author, but not this one. It’s populated with characters so flat you’d swear you were reading about them in the newspaper. The whole plot revolves around one of them doing something completely uncharacteristic, and his real motivation is never explained. The book seems to have been written bloodlessly and then given to some third party to paste in a few nods to sex. I finished only because I hate to quit. Something went really wro
Tricia Culp
I don’t normally even finish a 2-star book, but this one was clever enough I wanted to know what happened. But I just felt empty at the end. Like it had no soul. Ive heard Lipman called a modern Jane Austen - comedy of manners type thing - and this was a modern comedy of manners, but it had none of Austen’s character development or universal-human-spirit appeal. Maybe this isn’t her best work, but I don’t plan on picking her up again.
Eleanor
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Parts of this book dragged for me, and I found over half the characters annoying to some degree. That said, I did want to see how it ended. Given the state of the world right now, I consider that a win. She draws her characters well, although some of this plot is implausible. I do want to read more by her.
Lori Adams
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love books that make you belly laugh. Lipman does just that with this story of a born womanizer. When he travels back to the east coast to “apologize” to the woman he jilted 30 years ago, he doesn’t anticipate the reaction he’ll receive from her or her sisters. Nash has a silver tongue and he uses it at every opportunity. A quick, funny read.
Karen
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was my second book by Elinor Lipman. If it had been the first, it probably would have been the last. The titular character was just too unpleasant, and not funny enough to be worth it. I liked The Inn at Lake Devine much more. ...more
Sharon Falduto
A womanizer comes back to Boston to meet with the woman he abandoned 30 years before--and woos other women along the way, showing that leopards don't really change their spots. The book is actually about the stranded woman and her two sisters, and their love lives at their more-mature-than-most-heroines' ages.
Amy Winters
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just have so many questions after I finished this book. I really enjoy her writing style but this story had too many loose ends and underdeveloped stories. What happened to all the sisters? The brother? Dina? I feel like it just ended....ugh...so disappointed.
Donna
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. Did not enjoy this. The main character was very unlikeable and the story dragged. I liked The Inn at Lake Devine more. ...more
Kara
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-chick-lit
Nash Harvey/Harvey Nash is despicable and never gets what's coming to him, but everyone around him gets better when they get him out of their lives.
Maggie Grace
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful! The characters were wonderful and surprising. This is how a romantic comedy should be written!
Barbara Hawley
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very droll humor and a funny twist that reminds me of Emma or Pride and Prejudice.
Susan White-Riggs
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick, light read, I have read and enjoyed most of this author's books.
Melva Clark
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The main character in the book is a cad. The story revolves around the women he encounters.
Candice
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
He’s a cad and a bounder. A rapscallion and a heel. But what an absolutely CHARMING book. I’ll be right back... I have to go get some more of Elinor Lipman’s genius literature.
-r-
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5. Good writing. Good ending. Slow beginning.
Julie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This book kept my interest well enough but it never really went anywhere.
Deb
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ahh, Boston in the 90s,comedy, and good writing.
Bonduelle
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
It could have been so, so much more. Interesting observations here and there but it seems more like a draft than a finished story
Sylvia Abrams
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book felt very dated. Although well written, Lipman created no sympathetic characters. Too many cliches for my taste.
Heidi
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Love in a Cold Climate (Radlett & Montdore, #2)
  • Tamsin Harte
  • The Faithless Lollybird and Other Stories
  • Traveling Light
  • Diary of a Tokyo Teen: A Japanese-American Girl Draws Her Way Across the Land of Trendy Fashion, High-Tech Toilets and Maid Cafes
  • The Hen Who Sailed Around the World: A True Story
  • Don't Tell Alfred (Radlett & Montdore, #3)
  • The Blessing
  • Hons and Rebels
  • A Cup of Tea
  • A Dance of Cranes (Birder Murder Mystery #6)
  • The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation
  • The Red Lotus
  • They May Not Mean To, But They Do
  • A Tiding of Magpies (Birder Murder Mystery, #5)
  • Down the Nile: Alone in a Fisherman's Skiff
  • Clementine: The Life of Mrs. Winston Churchill
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
Elinor Lipman is the author of 11 humorous novels about contemporary American society; essay and short story collections, and a book of rhyming political tweets.. Born and raised in Lowell, Massachusetts, she graduated from Simmons College where she studied journalism. She lives in Manhattan, and received the New England Book award for fiction in 2001. Her first novel, "Then She Found Me," was ada ...more