Start by marking “Advent” as Want to Read:
Advent

Advent

Life as one of the wealthiest teenagers in New York City seems like a dream. Except, according to Andrew Slater, his existence is closer to a nightmare. Living in the luxury apartment, 740 Park Avenue, and being enrolled in the prestigious Jasper High is a realm he cannot comprehend. Dealing with his father's abusive nature, the staff and student's disapproval of him, and ...more
ebook, First Edition, 152 pages
Published May 14th 2019 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Advent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advent

Start your review of Advent
✨The Reading
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Good but a few issues...
Andrew is a young kid who has a very difficult life. He has expectations that he can't possibly live up to and no one understands him it seems except for his best friend. When Andrew is suddenly whisked away to the future he finds himself in the middle of an adventure he never thought possible. Will Andrew be able to help them defeat the Harbingers before everything is destroyed?
Okay so I have a few problems with this book. The first problem is rather obvious and that is
Literary Portals
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
What Made Me Read It I was sent a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. The author described it as a "science fiction, action/adventure story, with elements young adult novels possess - teen lead characters [and] coming of age elements". The blurb sounded interesting: a teenage boy haunted by dreams of hooded figures watching him from a distance and a mysterious red-haired girl who asks him to go with her to the future in order to save the world; and since the author assured me ...more
Buttercupp77
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a sort of sci-fi fantasy hybrid novel, incorporating tropes from both genres in a unique way, following the "hero's journey" plot.

There was obvious effort made to develop the story, the world, the characters, and to create something unique. I think the basic premise and the more unique elements were very interesting and deserving of being explored.

Unfortunately, the novel fell apart for me in the execution. For me, this novel read like an early draft. (Maybe not a first draft, but I
Pavani
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book started off on a good note. I found Andrew’s character quite interesting and his home and school lives were credible. His parents were also well-developed characters.

Another thing I really liked was the descriptions. All throughout the book, every character, place, machine… everything was described so well! I could imagine every scene in detail.

What I did not like about this book was the pace at which it developed. I was just beginning to get into the story of Andrew’s world, when
Christine
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I wish Goodreads would let us give half star ratings for books as this one is more of a 3.5, closer to a 4 than a 3.

Advent is about a boy named Andrew who finds himself in the future battling the Harbingers to save Reservoir City. For a young authors first novel this was a good story. I wish it had more world building though, as the novel was very dialogue heavy. I was never able to really fall into the story because I kept wishing for more details about the world around the characters. It was
Stacy_reviews_books
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
**I was sent this book in exchange for an honest review**
This book follows Andrew who I deem around 10-13 years old. He is so naive and is definitely not mature. He starts off at Christmas. Poor ole daddy thinks kids are ungrateful duh duh duh mommy slips him a present. (Side note: he never opens it) After daddy gets mad and hits mommy and daddy has a ‘talk’ in which Andrew gets frustrated and cries. After he gets done he falls asleep and dreams about a redheaded girl. Then the ‘adventure’
Vicky Quenault
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t enjoy this book at all.
From the very beginning the writing style is pretentious.
The word choice is awful.
The sentence structure is stilted.
It honestly reads like someone used a thesaurus to avoid words that are commonly used. Nothing flows naturally.
There is a complete lack of character development and world building.
The ‘twist’ at the end was obvious from the very beginning.
This book is in desperate need of editing.

Kudos to the author for completing a book, its no small task.

I
Lillian Wakulchyk
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this from Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review . Kudos to this up and coming author for her first book. It was ambitious to say the least, the characters needed a bit more development and the world building needs a little more also. The language was a bit much with all the fanciful words- sometimes simple says so much more. There was a lot of potential in these pages and I wish the best for this new author!
Christie
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of Advent from Voracious Readers only and Cat Kydd. I enjoyed the story overall, however there were places that I thought the story skipped details. Sometimes the story moved too fast. I would have liked more explanation of what was happening, especially with the fight scene. It ended way too quickly.
Donna
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this through Voracious Readers for an honest review. Well the book was ok I sadly did not find it particularly gripping. I feel that this book was somewhat stilted and hard to imagine.
Anie
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
On the outside, Andrew's life is perfect. He lives with his mother and a very rich stepfather. He has everything. In reality, his life is full of hardship. His stepfather is abusive, he is constantly bullied at school. And then he starts to see a mysterious girl with red hair everywhere. She offers him a new chance if he only goes with her. He jumps at the chance to escape, but what is waiting for him is a whole new world, filled with adventure.

The writing style if full of dialogs, which is
Jo
Jun 02, 2019

• Crutches
  • The Epiphany Club
  • Killing The Girl
  • How to Get Arrested: (The Starsboro Chronicles: Season 1 Episode 1)
  • The Last Real Girl (The Disappearance of Charlotte Walters, #1)
  • ZombieShire: A Dystopian Novella (Anthology Book 3)
  • The Elemental Union: Book One Devian
  • Eve of Ascension (The Fall of The Ascendancy, #1)
  • Absence: Whispers and Shadow
  • When The Whistler Calls
  • Hidden Scales
  • Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation (Short Sharp Shocks! #31)
  • Dead Meat: Day 3
  • The Blue Devil
  • Calico Thunder Rides Again
  • Stolen Princess (Royal Conquest Saga #1)
  • The Lost War
  • The House of Twelve
Cat Kydd’s first novel, Advent, had been formulating in her brain when she first experienced New York City at the age of sixteen. Since her visit, she began to put her vision to paper and completed her novel two years later. In addition to her writing, she is also a graphic and web designer for musical artists and a singer-songwriter who records, writes and performs her own original material. She ...more